Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Calf Prices 2015 *** DISCUSSION THREAD

• 24-01-2015 6:42pm
    Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,041 Mod ✭✭✭✭

This thread is for the discussion of calf prices and sales so we can keep the other thread litter-free and purely a list of readily perusable prices.

It will have a trial period of one month as if it takes up too much moderation time it will have to be closed. Normal forum civility rules apply.

Calf-Sale-1024x436.jpg

With a limit as to how many 'stickies' we can have it's not possible to sticky this or the other thread.

The Calf Price thread can be found here and this link should bring you to the first unread post of yours in the Calf Price listing thread.

The aim of argument, or of discussion, should not be victory, but progress. Joseph Joubert

The ultimate purpose of debate is not to produce consensus. It's to promote critical thinking.

Adam Grant

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,326 ✭✭✭Farmer Pudsey

Aska wrote: »
    Last Wednesday in Enniscorthy is as follows for the 5 sales I had.

1 - LM M (DOB 12/12/14) €430
    2 - LM M (DOB 12/12/14) €420
    3 - LM M (DOB 23/12/14) €200
    4 - LM M (DOB 25/12/14) €205
    5 - FR M (DOB 20/12/14) €50 (was out of a Heifer, but FR's were poor overall)
    loveta wrote: »
    Carrigallen saturday calves very good trade
    Poor snow white fr bull 15-20 days old E85 but most fr bulls were 125-150 with one good BF i think round 300 all coloured calves from 200 up most in the high 200s/low 300s upwards some were 4&500, daft money but i was no complaining :-)

I see we are back to the stupidity of 2012. That means that I have to be wary of buying stores late next year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭Mac Taylor

Aska, by any chance did you see any lm heifers going through? What kind of money? Thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,642 ✭✭✭Cavanjack

I see we are back to the stupidity of 2012. That means that I have to be wary of buying stores late next year.

This time it's going to be different . When these calves are fit, beef will be @€;5kg. The yanks and the Chinese will be fighting for ever every bit of beef we have. In two years We will think back to the spring of 2015 and say them Friesian bull calves wern't bad value at €300!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,045 ✭✭✭kevthegaff

I cant understand it last year reared fresians off milk could be got for 150 euros and no one seemed to want them, I honestly think beef men at times are theyre own worst enemys!

• Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭Coonagh

Sold the finest of Fr Bulls last year for €50, and got it hard to find buyers. In the past week I've got calls from 4 different farmers looking to buy. Can't understand it these are the same lads that turned their nose up to them last year!!!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,479 ✭✭✭✭Reggie.

Coonagh wrote: »
    Sold the finest of Fr Bulls last year for €50, and got it hard to find buyers. In the past week I've got calls from 4 different farmers looking to buy. Can't understand it these are the same lads that turned their nose up to them last year!!!!!

Same problem as always
    . You see this year might be a good year for beef price and farmers see $ signs and buy loads of calves but it will be next year before they are ready and next year's prices might not be as good. Same auld merry go round

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,642 ✭✭✭Cavanjack

Cattle are like houses. When they are cheap nobody wants them. When they are dear everyone wants them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,827 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

its early yet, will see what the price is like in a few weeks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭larrymiller

whelan2 wrote: »
    its early yet, will see what the price is like in a few weeks

True. Still along way away till the bulk of them are on offer

True. Still along way away till the bulk of them are on offer

Be a large burst in march. I believe most dairy men might hold onto a few to drink up milk due to levy????

• Advertisement

Yeah hard to know some will keep some won't. Will wait til march myself unless I see a good deal on donedeal

Have a few enquires made myself so ill see what materialies

Reggie. wrote: »
    Have a few enquires made myself so ill see what materialies
    really, what are you paying?

the opening picture of this thread is very funny, see the old lad near lying full back at the side of the ring- make yourself at home there:)

really, what are you paying?
    No idea yet. Waiting on someone to get back to me when calving gets going ;)

the opening picture of this thread is very funny, see the old lad near lying full back at the side of the ring- make yourself at home there:)

He's only out for the day that fella

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,394 ✭✭✭✭Timmaay

With all heifers born so far, and not many beef calves due until March/April my dad was 1/2 moaning the other day about all the replacements I'm breeding now and nothing for him to sell in the mart now that the price is strong ha! I can't win :p

Timmaay wrote: »
    With all heifers born so far, and not many beef calves due until March/April my dad was 1/2 moaning the other day about all the replacements I'm breeding now and nothing for him to sell in the mart now that the price is strong ha! I can't win :p

He's missing his day out :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,394 ✭✭✭✭Timmaay

He's missing his day out :D

I know, handy to have a quiet day to myself on the farm every so often :p

Timmaay wrote: »
    I know, handy to have a quiet day to myself on the farm every so often :p

He needs his beer money timmay

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭Aska

Mac Taylor wrote: »
    Aska, by any chance did you see any lm heifers going through? What kind of money? Thanks

they were averaging approx. €230-280 each, there was only 6 LM H's in the entire sale of 90 odd calves, majority (which is probably the same in most marts) was FR Males. €50 was the lowest for the FR M calf but there was a couple of others who go that price too, €100 give or take a tenner was about as good as it got for decent FR M calves, sure a couple went above that but they were few and far between, I am not keeping any calves (ex FR H's) so I was happy to see the back of him.

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭solwhit12

Anyone in killmallock today,what are Herefords making sold a couple out the yard 300 for heifers.

solwhit12 wrote: »
    Anyone in killmallock today,what are Herefords making sold a couple out the yard 300 for heifers.

What age

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭solwhit12

What age

3 Weeks

solwhit12 wrote: »
    3 Weeks

Ya did well there. Paid that for 6 week olds last year

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 300 ✭✭welton john

see a 3 week old HE bull made 505 in kilmallock this week.what is lads fascination with these cattle.Nothing against them but you buy good aa or fr for 100+/head less than what they're making atm

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,290 ✭✭✭tanko

A neighbour of mine sold a two week old BF x CH bull calf for €470 this week.

any price on angus calves?

tanko wrote: »
    A neighbour of mine sold a two week old BF x CH bull calf for €470 this week.

The CH always made lads a little mad in the head

• Advertisement

any price on angus calves?

neighbour sold 2 bulls on monday ,about 2 weeks old nice calves 255 and 270

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,326 ✭✭✭Farmer Pudsey

see a 3 week old HE bull made 505 in kilmallock this week.what is lads fascination with these cattle.Nothing against them but you buy good aa or fr for 100+/head less than what they're making atm

Some lads just do not like Friesians god bless them:D. On AA very dodgy buying at less than 5-8 weeks hard to see difference in lads that are bred from short gestation easy calving bulls. If you wait until calves are stronger it is easier to buy the better calf.

Hard with them as well as stores it hard to see poorer quality rather than the backward store. Prefer to keep away from them.

Some lads just do not like Friesians god bless them:D. On AA very dodgy buying at less than 5-8 weeks hard to see difference in lads that are bred from short gestation easy calving bulls. If you wait until calves are stronger it is easier to buy the better calf.

Hard with them as well as stores it hard to see poorer quality rather than the backward store. Prefer to keep away from them.
    had a lad here this evening looking for 15 aa calves as he was fed up of buying them in the mart and as you say they where not what he wanted, he knows what he's getting here

We keep a share of homebred calves every year and the AA always weighed better and sold better than the HE.That said they werent off the easiest calving bulls and its easier than buying in.Have a few off heifers and easy/short bull you mention and there alot better than i thought.will keep the angus and sell the HE as calves this year

The AA can be a mixed bunch alright but I like them as they are a hardy breed

• Registered Users Posts: 597 ✭✭✭PatQfarmer

The AA can be a mixed bunch alright but I like them as they are a hardy breed
    And they finish easily, on little lifetime meal.

• Advertisement

PatQfarmer wrote: »

Ah yeah. Can get always get one to be slow to put on weight tho

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭eddiek

PatQfarmer wrote: »

what sort of weight are they finished at? 24-30 month steers.little meal

eddiek wrote: »
    what sort of weight are they finished at? 24-30 month steers.little meal

Well I've two for the chop shortly. This one is around the 600kg mark at 21 months. Got about 1 kg of meal a day from 12 weeks old

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,433 ✭✭✭Milked out

Anyone in bandon recently? Prices for 2 to 4 week old and 6 wk old calves. Fr. May have a buyer for calves out of the yard

• Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭morebabies

Looking for around 20 or 30 Hex heifers myself in a few weeks time but not at the current prices, looking for 3 week olds, anyone have any idea if the prices will ease off at all?

• Advertisement

morebabies wrote: »
    Looking for around 20 or 30 Hex heifers myself in a few weeks time but not at the current prices, looking for 3 week olds, anyone have any idea if the prices will ease off at all?

My guess would be start of march

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,413 ✭✭✭epfff

My guess would be start of march

I'm guessing June
    When guys discover beef isn't actually that scarce or dear

epfff wrote: »
    I'm guessing June
    When guys discover beef isn't actually that scarce or dear

Wouldn't say they'll be many calves around then.
    But I think you mean cattle in general, which I don't farmers ever really discover that!

• Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭morebabies

Just wondering was anyone in kilmallock today and if so what was trade like today for Hereford or Angus?

ANY prices for aa or fr bull calves?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭leg wax

ANY prices for aa or fr bull calves?

good fr bulls 170-200 today in ross aa 220-340

• Registered Users Posts: 2,141 ✭✭✭RightTurnClyde

leg wax wrote: »

What age were those

are fr calves being exported?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,336 ✭✭✭✭mahoney_j

are fr calves being exported?

Not at prices been quoted here anyway,the most exporters will pay is 120/120.have the beef men learnt nothing from last year,setting themselves up for a big fall in 2 years time again,goingbto be hard have sympathy for them this time.prices in marts for calves and older stock is crazy at the moment.great if ur selling though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,493 ✭✭✭Greengrass1

leg wax wrote: »

Ill be going to Ross next week so.
    Have 6 here now one absolute beast. Looks like a montbeliard

• Advertisement
Advertisement