Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Summer 2021 General Discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,340 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

A depressing low light with grey skies and drizzle morning in maynooth

It could easily be December 23 not June 23

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,736 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

In fairness we've been really lucky with the weather over the past 3 to 4 weeks. First bad day here since May 28th. This looks like being a temporary blip and from Sunday we should see a big improvement.

The models seem to be fairly consistent and confident about next weeks warm weather, unlike the current unsettled few days which was up in the air up to yesterday. Next week looks warm, unsure of sunshine levels but temperatures of 18 to 23C should be achievable next week and if luck goes our way maybe 24 or 25C is possible in the second half of next week.

In the unreliable timeframe this mornings GFS goes even warmer than this into the 1st week of July however the GFS Operational run is a warm to hot outlier towards the end of its run so is very unlikely to verify.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,736 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

fairly heavy rain at the moment here in Meath, garden is getting a decent soaking at this stage. Hopefully this is the last of the rain as it does appear to be clearing very slowly from the north.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,980 ✭✭✭Slashermcguirk

Rain overnight here in D5, nothing more than drizzle this morning though. Good to see the garden get a watering, not sure enough to have any real impact but better than nothing.

Sounds quite positive the forecast for next week. Overall a really nice first month of summer here in Dublin anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 6,793 ✭✭✭sporina

grey and a damp drizzle here in Cork City.. gee would drive ya demented

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,368 ✭✭✭beggars_bush

except its warm

• Registered Users Posts: 2,339 ✭✭✭The One Doctor

Nice wet day here, good to see as there hasn't been enough rain. Nice change from blazing sunshine, which annoys me after a while.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,246 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

except its warm

Lol, currently it's 13 degrees in Cork....pretty much like December :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

I am just wondering if that half sunny day we had a couple of days back actually happened, or was it just an hallucination borne from a sort of coping mechanism. Talk about landing back at square one with a heavy, dull thud.

New Moon

still raining here in Meath and fairly heavy yet again. This clearance is taking it's time getting here. I'd say we've had well over 5mm since last night. Currently only 12C as well so a very chilly day.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 48,137 ✭✭✭✭km79

Dull dry and very humid in south mayo

Looks like brightening up for the bonfire later though
    This time last year was an absolute washout in the middle of a great spell of weather !

km79 wrote: »
    Dull dry and very humid in south mayo

Looks like brightening up for the bonfire later though
    This time last year was an absolute washout in the middle of a great spell of weather !

My garden by this time last year was getting very wet and by the end of July it was a swamp and the sqelchy sounds of walking persisted on and off till the end of February this winter. Thankfully it's been much drier ever since March and while May was wet, it didn't turn the garden into another swamp.

• Registered Users Posts: 529 ✭✭✭Goldfinch8

Brightening up from the west now here near Castlebar Nice to see blue skies after a dull and humid morning that had a real heaviness about it.

rain finally stopped here in Meath after close to 20 hours of continuous misty rain, drizzle and light to moderate rain.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,980 ✭✭✭Slashermcguirk

Here in Dublin 5 we have only really had light rain / drizzle this morning after whatever fell last night. It stopped a while ago. It was enough to water the garden but I would be surprised if more than 2-3mm fell in total
    Gonzo wrote: »
    rain finally stopped here in Meath after close to 20 hours of continuous misty rain, drizzle and light to moderate rain.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

Some visibilities and cloud bases (agl) in the 2 pm reports:

Finner: 4 km, Overcast 200 ft,
    Donegal Airport: 1.3 km, Overcast 300 ft
    Malin Head: 2.6 km, Overcast 300 ft
    Sligo Airport: 6 km, Overcast 400 ft
    Casement: 8 km, Overcast 500 ft
    Dublin Airport: 7 km, Scattered 500 ft, Broken 700 ft, Overcast 700 ft
    Mullingar: 6 km, Overcast 600 ft
    Johnstown Castle: 6 km, Broken 600 ft
    Belmullet: 19 km, Broken 900 ft

• Registered Users Posts: 10,076 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

Dry here in Castlebar with spells of warm sunshine.

Not seeing much sign of those skies here. Just a total greyout here as usual.

New Moon

Great photo posted underneath that met Eireann tweet taken the other day in Galway. Captured beautifully that volcanic haze in the evening sky.

yfb3WhG.png

Photo c/o this lad:
    https://twitter.com/ZhangChaosheng/status/1407096560283009027

New Moon

• Advertisement

Oneiric 3 wrote: »
    Not seeing much sign of those skies here. Just a total greyout here as usual.

Clear blue skies here in Castlebar now. Beautiful out

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

It nearly hit 20C earlier today in Castlebar, early next week is showing some promising signs for some continuous heat.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,884 ✭✭✭Storm 10

Beautiful evening in Galway

• Registered Users Posts: 19,473 ✭✭✭✭Super-Rush

Is the radar down again? Lashing here in Carlow for the last hour or so and nothing showing on ME.

Clear blue skies here in Castlebar now. Beautiful out

Sun broke through here just after 4. Still a lot of that visually off-puting, low hanging cloud about though but still, it is nice to feel some warm late afternoon sun on the ultra-pale, stratus bashed skin.

New Moon

• Registered Users Posts: 13,885 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

Muggy sort of day in Dublin, it feels warmer outside than in my house for some reason, I think it's because the sun usually warms the house up a bit and there was none today.

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭Shepards Delight

Mount Dillon
    Sunny/Cloudy here at mo
    Light North Westerlies
    A pleasant 17c a touch warmer
    During some lovely sunny spells earlier

Must be a biggish fire some place ongoing to my north as watching a long ribbon of smoke moving WSW to ENE. Lovely evening regardless.

New Moon

• Registered Users Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭Donegal Storm

Oneiric 3 wrote: »
    Must be a biggish fire some place ongoing to my north as watching a long ribbon of smoke moving WSW to ENE. Lovely evening regardless.

Oiche Féil'Eóin / Bonfire Night tonight

Probably the nucest evening all month up here, the all too familiar drizzle and dark cloud most of the day but the sun suddenly broke through around 5pm and it's been a nice mild evening. First time in ages I could leave the house in a t-shirt

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,793 ✭✭✭sporina

turned out to to be a grand eve here in Cork City (warm, brighter, no rain - grey sky but with some blue intermittence) :)

Advertisement