Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Summer 2021 General Discussion

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,731 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

I'm a bit puzzled Gonzo but what is a dartboard low and where is it on the charts

To me a dartboard low is an area of low pressure that moves in covering a relatively small area with unsettled and cooler conditions rather than a bigger more typical area of low pressure covering several countries e.g. Ireland+UK+northern France etc.

Although small in size they can lead to a very wet, miserable and cool day especially if they stall over the country rather than moving along swiftly.

GFSP11EU12_102_1.png

Just took a look at the GFS pub run and it's certainly not as bad as the 12z, particularly after this weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭Tyrone212

Not far off daylight to the north just before midnight, the long evenings are one of the few benefits of summer in Donegal!

IMG-20210621-234714.jpg

Outside for a smoke and enjoying how bright it is. Been weeks since it has been clear like this. Civil twilight ends at 23.11 in Letterkenny and reappears at 03.54, Astronomical Twilight inbetween that so really won't get much darker than that pic.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭Tyrone212

Eden Park Derry, 3.1c
    Mt Dillon Roscommon, 3.6c
    Charlestown Mayo, 4.5c

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,729 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Mt Dillon reporting 2c at 0500.

In Cork we've had a lot of the Easts sun & heat and the Wests rain so my garden and shrubs are growing out of control!

Where are you in Cork? Regular gardener in the city here and I'd say we are close to three weeks behind normal this year. Lots of frost, April was very windy and cold and May was a cool washout.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,361 ✭✭✭beggars_bush

DOCARCH wrote: »

Oh dear. We didn't put the fleece out last night on veg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,869 ✭✭✭DellyBelly

Stunning morning in Dublin again.. Cool enough though

• Registered Users Posts: 1,979 ✭✭✭Slashermcguirk

Another stunning day in Dublin, magnificent month of weather. 0.8mm of rain in the whole month so far which is very impressive

• Registered Users Posts: 1,011 ✭✭✭Neddyusa

DOCARCH wrote: »

I assume it's not a record low?
    But still impressively cold for midsummer!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,275 ✭✭✭PokeHerKing

Gonzo wrote: »
    To me a dartboard low is an area of low pressure that moves in covering a relatively small area with unsettled and cooler conditions rather than a bigger more typical area of low pressure covering several countries e.g. Ireland+UK+northern France etc.

Although small in size they can lead to a very wet, miserable and cool day especially if they stall over the country rather than moving along swiftly.

GFSP11EU12_102_1.png

Just took a look at the GFS pub run and it's certainly not as bad as the 12z, particularly after this weekend.

Man that picture really sums up Irelands weather. Luck of the Irish me ballix!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,523 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

Neddyusa wrote: »
    I assume it's not a record low?
    But still impressively cold for midsummer!

The lowest value to a decimal I can find at Mt Dillon this morning on WOW is 1.4C which is no record. Since 2008, it has recorded four June air minimum temperatures lower than this:

10 June 2011; 0.2C
    09 June 2015; 1.1C
    05 June 2008; 1.3C
    15 June 2019; 1.3C

• Registered Users Posts: 5,921 ✭✭✭OldRio

It had the feel of a pleasant autumnal morning here in Leitrim. Sun was showing with the hope of warmth later on. The grass covered in dampness from the cold night. A lovely first hour or two.
    Unfortunately it's supposed to be mid summer and not autumn. The sky is now completely by cloud and rain is promised.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,796 ✭✭✭appledrop

Lashing rain here in NCD, only joking!

Another beautiful morning with blue skies and sunshine.

Today feels much warmer to me so far than yesterday as doesn't have the cold breeze.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,785 ✭✭✭sporina

fab summer's day here in Cork City - woo hoo..

the sky was beautiful last night - could see a bright star up to the right (SE) when I looked out the back around midnight.. no idea what it was - anyone?

Classic met eireann (“confidence in the forecast is low”) :-)

WEEKEND: There is a lot of uncertainty regarding the weather outlook for the coming weekend and confidence in the forecast is low.

Early indications are there will be good dry periods with sunny spells and some well-scattered showers. However, there is the chance the showers will be more numerous and widespread. After a rather cool day on Friday it'll turn somewhat warmer and more humid for the weekend.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,731 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

lovely day again here in Meath but looks like this is where our dry and settled spell comes to an end. Showery, cloudy and relatively cool at times from tomorrow to about Saturday.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,245 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

WEEKEND: There is a lot of uncertainty regarding the weather outlook for the coming weekend and confidence in the forecast is low.

Early indications are there will be good dry periods with sunny spells and some well-scattered showers. However, there is the chance the showers will be more numerous and widespread. After a rather cool day on Friday it'll turn somewhat warmer and more humid for the weekend.

Better than saying it's definitely going to be one way or the other I suppose!!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,523 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

Not sure what else you expect them to say, the certainty is stupidly low at the moment with so many wild changes that depend on the placement of this shallow trough coming.

Background teleconnections suggest a changeable end to June but I would not be placing any bets at all at the moment to any solution whether unsettled or settled. However, I see no sign of an Atlantic onslaught or deluge, just showery conditions with shallow troughs that we may completely avoid (like we did this Sunday) or not.

Shallow troughs or shortwaves are an absolute nuisance.

• Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭loughside

sryanbruen wrote: »
    The lowest value to a decimal I can find at Mt Dillon this morning on WOW is 1.4C which is no record. Since 2008, it has recorded four June air minimum temperatures lower than this:

10 June 2011; 0.2C
    09 June 2015; 1.1C
    05 June 2008; 1.3C
    15 June 2019; 1.3C

Katesbridge, Co.Down last night min 1.3C

I think once we get this low out of the way by Sunday (hopefully) that the rest of June will be relatively dry and quite warm. It is still possible that the June high of 25.6C at Phoenix Park could get beaten before the end of the month if luck goes our way. ECM is certainly going for plenty of high pressure over the next one to two weeks along with warmer than average temperatures.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

Only really just copped. Yesterday and particular yesterday evening were stunning, due in no small part to the notable haze at cloud level, like what you see if the air was coming up from France or Spain in more 'plumey' airflows. However, we were in a post-frontal air mass that came down from the NW, so I wonder, was the haze yesterday actually the result of the constant stream of smoke and gases etc from the ongoing Icelandic eruption? or is it possible that smoke from those wild fires over parts of western N. America reached here already? Either way, didn't really cop onto it at the time. I'm slowing up. :o

New Moon

Today is one of the nicest to date in Dublin 5. Hardly a breeze and the sun beating down under perfect blue skies

• Registered Users Posts: 15,324 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Rain, rain please come again, my garden is crying out for you!

556570.png

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

My weather app now seems to be playing down the rain a bit at the weekend, maybe a few showers but nothing major and getting progressively warmer heading into next week. Will be interesting to see what transpires. In truth the garden could do with some rain showers but happy for the sunny warm weather to return promptly after

depending on how lucky/unlucky we are up to 30mm of rain could fall in places over the next few days depending on shower intensity and distribution. Some places are likely to see very little rain. Even if we get 30 mm that will only bring the local June total up to 33 mm. Average rainfalls for June in this area is 72mm.

Edit: Sun gone now and a wall of cloud is taking over.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

Oneiric 3 wrote: »
    Only really just copped. Yesterday and particular yesterday evening were stunning, due in no small part to the notable haze at cloud level, like what you see if the air was coming up from France or Spain in more 'plumey' airflows. However, we were in a post-frontal air mass that came down from the NW, so I wonder, was the haze yesterday actually the result of the constant stream of smoke and gases etc from the ongoing Icelandic eruption? or is it possible that smoke from those wild fires over parts of western N. America reached here already? Either way, didn't really cop onto it at the time. I'm slowing up. :o

Looking at yesterday morning's satellite, more likely that haze originated in Iceland, given that the airmass over us yesterday came straight down from that region. (sat for the early hours of yesterday)

zCW2H1u.gif

New Moon

sun trying to poke out again here in Meath but looking at the radar the rain isn't too far away.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

A dark, wet and humid afternoon in Castlebar, barely cracking 10C here.

• Registered Users Posts: 48,137 ✭✭✭✭km79

Xenji wrote: »
    A dark, wet and humid afternoon in Castlebar, barely cracking 10C here.

It’s actually quite a depressing day

• Advertisement

That band of showery rain is certainly making progress eastwards quicker than I expected but is showing signs of breaking up over the midlands as it enters Leinster. Still a few hazy moments of sun here but the cloud is definitely thickening. Still fairly mild here at 17C, was 18C earlier on when we had blue skies.

Advertisement