Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Summer 2021 General Discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭Donegal Storm

Hasn't been a particularly wet month here in Donegal but in terms of cloud and lack of warmth it's about as bad a summer month as I can remember. Cold, dark and windy again this morning

• Registered Users Posts: 6,924 ✭✭✭pauldry

Looking over my weather data I see that we have had 3 days over 20c in Sligo this June so far.

So I looked at Dublin Airport to compare expecting to see 15 or something.
    6! I dont feel so bad now.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,811 ✭✭✭Tigerandahalf

Hasn't been a particularly wet month here in Donegal but in terms of cloud and lack of warmth of about as bad a summer month as I can remember. Cold, dark and windy again this morning

Ye have had bad weather all Spring as well.
    I also notice from looking at the satellite maps and radar that Northern Ireland in general gets poorer weather. Lots of days where there is cloud cover or rain but the rest of the country is sunny.

In fairness in the west when the weather comes good we tend to get the warmest temperatures.

The real pity about our summers with the cloud cover is that we miss out on some lovely sunsets.

I remember last year on one of the rare cloud free evenings the sunset was amazing with the mix of colours.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,806 ✭✭✭sporina

grey but warm here in The Rebel City.. windy though - hope the rain holds off.. for anyone with SAD this is a bad..

Some interesting temperatures in British Isles today

Wind chill of -6c in Scottish Highlands

A lot of temperatures of 10 and 11c on both Islands as we approach midday.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,300 ✭✭✭PokeHerKing

Baltic in D24 today. Bring on the warmup!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,530 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

My least favourite kind of day in Dublin. Very cool, drizzly, overcast, breezy muck.

Fortunately, next week is shaping up to provide some lovely pleasant warm days and good sunny spells if the forecast right now holds. Bring it on please I say.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭Tyrone212

Just 1mm down here in Arklow from about 8pm
    Whilst ground here is very dry now,the water table is still comfortably high from all the rain from January into spring

That's good.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,006 ✭✭✭mcburns07

13 degrees and mostly overcast in East Cork but pleasant enough really despite the temperature.

• Registered Users Posts: 880 ✭✭✭seamusk84

Its fecking baltic out. I'm turning the heating on for a 2 hour boost....Screw it.

Celbridge.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,980 ✭✭✭Slashermcguirk

I would say Phoenix park has had way more than that. Dublin airport tends to be a cooler part of Dublin, I love the west of Ireland but couldn’t handle the wet weather. Donegal to Cork just always seems to get so much more rain
    pauldry wrote: »
    Looking over my weather data I see that we have had 3 days over 20c in Sligo this June so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,474 ✭✭✭Mimon

Sligo is a wonderful place to live in all weathers. This year has been particularly cold but it doesnt rain as much as it does in Mayo and Galway.

There are many dry days but the temperatures are lower than most of the rest of the country.

E.g post above says temperatures in West will go up next week, well the Northwest will still be cool. Id say 16 or 17c to 24c in lots of other areas and the old evening sea fog.

Last year we had way more sunshine. This Summer its about 40 or 50% of normal.

Lived there for my college years, it rains plenty :) compared to where I grew up further east. Beautiful part of the country if the sun shines.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,350 ✭✭✭esposito

sryanbruen wrote: »
    My least favourite kind of day in Dublin. Very cool, drizzly, overcast, breezy muck.

Fortunately, next week is shaping up to provide some lovely pleasant warm days and good sunny spells if the forecast right now holds. Bring it on please I say.

Wouldn’t it be fantastic if the high intensified next week and gave us very warm, sunny days well into July. I note MT a few days ago mentioned turning unsettled from about 3 July but this morning’s forecast is a bit more promising with maybe just a few showers. I know it rarely happens but I’d love a couple of days in a row where the temperature hits 30 C in Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,006 ✭✭✭mcburns07

I would say Phoenix park has had way more than that. Dublin airport tends to be a cooler part of Dublin, I love the west of Ireland but couldn’t handle the wet weather. Donegal to Cork just always seems to get so much more rain

There's a big difference even between different parts of the west. Valentia gets far more rain than Shannon for example. Not insignificant differences between west and east Cork either.

For me, Kerry and cork weather is brutal from my many visits, a friend of mine from cork city who moved to Dublin said the contrast is unbelievable. He couldn’t believe how dry Dublin is in comparison. Donegal is probably my favourite part of the country and in good weather there is nowhere like it but the weather is so unreliable. Galway another fab spot but the rain there is pretty relentless too
    mcburns07 wrote: »
    There's a big difference even between different parts of the west. Valentia gets far more rain than Shannon for example. Not insignificant differences between west and east Cork either.

esposito wrote: »
    Wouldn’t it be fantastic if the high intensified next week and gave us very warm, sunny days well into July. I note MT a few days ago mentioned turning unsettled from about 3 July but this morning’s forecast is a bit more promising with maybe just a few showers. I know it rarely happens but I’d love a couple of days in a row where the temperature hits 30 C in Dublin.

Dunno if thats EVER happened

Didn’t it happen in 2018? I think there were a few days in the low 30s.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

Sligo is a wonderful place to live in all weathers. This year has been particularly cold but it doesnt rain as much as it does in Mayo and Galway.

Mayo and Galway always seem to get the worst press! Wouldn't want to live there.

New Moon

• Registered Users Posts: 1,044 ✭✭✭compsys

As others have said DA would be one of the cooler stations.

However it's been very dry all June in Dublin with only 3 rain days really - today, yesterday and Wednesday while sunshine, especially in the south of the county, has been above average.

Max temps are also running around 1º above average - though some cool nights have brought down the overall mean. However it's been 18 and 20º most days.

Given the forecast from Sunday to Wednesday, when all is said and done, it'll go down as a good June for Dublin.

Didn’t it happen in 2018? I think there were a few days in the low 30s.

Dunno if its happened ever at Dublin Airport maybe Casement or Pheonix PArk might have got over 30c a couple of times

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,300 ✭✭✭PokeHerKing

Dublin is like London, overall we definitely get better weather than the SW/W/NW but it's still relatively $hit.

On a good day I'd rather be on the west coast than Dublin.

No it hasn't. The only times the Dublin county has reached 30C or more (since 1942) at the synoptic stations are August 1990 and July 2006 and they were for a single day. July 1983 almost did too.

Dublin Airport hasn't even reached 30C before, its record max is 28.7C from August 1990.

I am pretty sure Phoenix park hit 30 degrees a few years ago
    No it hasn't. The only times the Dublin county has reached 30C or more (since 1942) at the synoptic stations are August 1990 and July 2006 and they were for a single day. July 1983 almost did too.

Dublin Airport hasn't even reached 30C before, its record max is 28.7C from August 1990.

It actually has and Casement 31c according to Met Eireanns website

Dublin Airports highest ever June temperature is 25.7c

Thats shocking.

Id much rather live in the West.

I am pretty sure Phoenix park hit 30 degrees a few years ago

No it didn't. The highest temperature in Phoenix Park since Casement achieved 31C in 2006 is 28.6C on 21 June 2017. The second highest was 27.9C on 27 June 2018.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,350 ✭✭✭esposito

No it didn't. The highest temperature in Phoenix Park since Casement achieved 31C in 2006 is 28.6C on 21 June 2017. The second highest was 27.9C on 27 June 2018.

You know your sh**t Syran! Fair play.

Well 30C for at least two days in a row will have to happen sometime. Hopefully us Dubs won’t have too long to wait.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,927 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

I think it hit 31c in Shannon in 2018. I remember at the time people here in Dublin kept telling me it was 30c+ outside they saw it on the weather report. People sometimes just seem to hear what they like on weather reports.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭Tyrone212

I think it hit 31c in Shannon in 2018. I remember at the time people here in Dublin kept telling me it was 30c+ outside they saw it on the weather report. People sometimes just seem to hear what they like on weather reports.

Or they go by the car thermometer/thermistor. My friend once told me it was 54c after he started his car haha

• Registered Users Posts: 5,943 ✭✭✭OldRio

I've just finished working outside. The wind would cut you in two. Heating on for the third time this week.
    Leitrim.

Note to self. Dip tank tomorrow.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭Level 42

Cork City's weather has been rubbish for years rain dull wind overcast you get the odd sunny day but normally the clouds only clear just before evening time.Summer has been a washout

Advertisement