Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Athlone thread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,723 ✭✭✭nice_guy80

4ensic15 wrote: »
    It would be more logical to put South Roscommon from a line between Lecarrow and Ballinasloe into Westmeath and amalgamate South Leitrim with North Roscommon and Amalgamate North Leitrim with Sligo.

I doubt any business owner in Roscommon would want any change considering the rates are much lower in the county than Westmeath

• Registered Users Posts: 1,035 ✭✭✭BrianBoru00

It would be more logical to put South Roscommon from a line between Lecarrow and Ballinasloe into Westmeath and amalgamate South Leitrim with North Roscommon and Amalgamate North Leitrim with Sligo.

Jaysus this is the worst of some daft posts you've made on this thread.

Westmeath county council has been in charge of Connacht street and the demise from a thriving thoroughfare to a ghost town and you think giving them control over a much wider area is a good idea ? :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 588 ✭✭✭White lighting

{SNIP} Abuse removed.

• Registered Users Posts: 557 ✭✭✭Mearings

Too many County Councils. A system imposed on us by the Normans and perpetuated by the GAA.

There's no difference between county councils and city councils. Should we also jettison the English language that was imposed upon us?

Where there's a will, there's a way. There's plenty of scope to have a city council spanning both counties with representatives of both and a clear plan on how to expand both east and west. and Offaly coco could also have representative.

Co operation is what is required but Athlone is not suffering because part of Roscommon is not under the auspices of Westmeath coco. The opposite in fact as per Connaught Street.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,541 ✭✭✭veryangryman

There's no difference between county councils and city councils. Should we also jettison the English language that was imposed upon us?

Where there's a will, there's a way. There's plenty of scope to have a city council spanning both counties with representatives of both and a clear plan on how to expand both east and west. and Offaly coco could also have representative.

Co operation is what is required but Athlone is not suffering because part of Roscommon is not under the auspices of Westmeath coco. The opposite in fact as per Connaught Street.

Connaught Street thrived when there was horse and cart running through it. The street is narrow and all approaches to it are on inclines. The demise of the irish pub industry has also pushed it out as has ghettoising the neighbouring estates to discourage people to live nearby. Growth of Golden Island and TownCentre means that it has far more competition for the shopping buck too.

I cant really blame that on Westmeath Coco. Anything gov related e.g housing was national policy and they were puppets of same.

Connaught Street thrived when there was horse and cart running through it. The street is narrow and all approaches to it are on inclines. The demise of the irish pub industry has also pushed it out as has ghettoising the neighbouring estates to discourage people to live nearby. Growth of Golden Island and TownCentre means that it has far more competition for the shopping buck too.

I cant really blame that on Westmeath Coco. Anything gov related e.g housing was national policy and they were puppets of same.

so did other streets.

This is exactly the point being made.
    Westmeath Coco basically wanted to land grab the location of the highest rate payers in the neighbouring county with absolutely no intention of benefitting that location with resultant services.
    In fact if there was to be a re drawing of the boundaries I would suggest Roscommon coco taking over Athlone to the original boundary of the river and allow both sides to thrive.

But a more realistic option is to sit down together and form a greater Athlone development plan outlining the inputs required from both councils and the respective responsibilities.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,722 ✭✭✭pawrick

Jaysus this is the worst of some daft posts you've made on this thread.

Westmeath county council has been in charge of Connacht street and the demise from a thriving thoroughfare to a ghost town and you think giving them control over a much wider area is a good idea ? :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

We had our own town council until recently, they weren't up to much either as far as the west side was concerned.

imo another solution which could potentially better balance the midlands and west midlands would be to extend the Roscommon border around Athlone.
    At the moment Athlone loses out due to rivalry with Mullingar which like it or not is a town of similar population and so similar representation in the council. Athlone as the main commercial/industrial town in Roscommon could benefit Roscommon co co and the town itself via more rates available to roscommon + a larger population, while Athlone would be unified under one local area allowing for better focus on it's own growth without the impediments it experiences at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,722 ✭✭✭pawrick

Wasn't Connaught street also meant to be widened with shops such as dooleys bought up only to be later sold for apartment development and thus loosing the opportunity to widen it? could be wrong on this but i thought that was the plan back in the mid 90's.

Anyone notice the amount of overlooking Athlone has been getting with live gigs recently?

I see alot of nationwide tours from bands who dodge the midlands like the plague. Places of similar or even smaller populations like Wexford, Killarney, Sligo getting them.

I'm personally blaming it on a lack of taste in the majority of locals here (which would put promoters off naturally) but what gives?

Radison is a grand venue for it. Saw Stunning and Jimmy Carr last year. Has dried up recently barring country music type crahp

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,683 ✭✭✭Subcomandante Marcos

Anyone notice the amount of overlooking Athlone has been getting with live gigs recently?

I see alot of nationwide tours from bands who dodge the midlands like the plague. Places of similar or even smaller populations like Wexford, Killarney, Sligo getting them.

I'm personally blaming it on a lack of taste in the majority of locals here (which would put promoters off naturally) but what gives?

Radison is a grand venue for it. Saw Stunning and Jimmy Carr last year. Has dried up recently barring country music type crahp

Nobody is booking them locally. Lack of venues.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41 Smashmouth

Christy Moore soon. Although I understand he's not everyone's cup of tea.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭4ensic15

I says wrote: »
    Are you saying we should liquidate Leitrim altogether?

Yes. It has to population of a town. It shouldn't be a county.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,236 ✭✭✭Dr. Kenneth Noisewater

Yeah it's definitely something the town or wider region is badly missing is a proper venue for gigs for the likes of bands or acts that can draw even a couple of thousand people. It doesn't need to be the Three Arena. You'd think somewhere around Athlone or even Portlaoise would be ideally placed for such a facility.

Yeah it's definitely something the town or wider region is badly missing is a proper venue for gigs for the likes of bands or acts that can draw even a couple of thousand people. It doesn't need to be the Three Arena. You'd think somewhere around Athlone or even Portlaoise would be ideally placed for such a facility.

Plenty of facilities if used right. Both big hotels can host several hundred. Athlone town stadium for outdoor gig(s). With the plethora of festivals nationwide its like theyre allergic to landlocked counties

Didn't Mcdonagh want to build an arena out the Dublin rd a few years ago which would have been excellent for the town. But due to a couple of clowns it couldn't get planning and never went ahead

Didn't Mcdonagh want to build an arena out the Dublin rd a few years ago which would have been excellent for the town. But due to a couple of clowns it couldn't get planning and never went ahead

Anything that is any good will get planning.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭demanufactured

Anything that is any good will get planning.

Like apple in Athenry?

AFAIK that was scrapped in favour of the upgrade to the Point Theatre.

The "Athlone is central and should get more" argument died when the Motorway Network to Dublin was built. Dublin is now central in terms of journey times from most places due to it.

Of course with Dub overheating and packed out now, perhaps something midlands should be looked at venues-wise.

Like apple in Athenry?

It got planning.

• Advertisement

It got planning.

Actually you are correct, my mistake.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41 Smashmouth

Once we get the international airport built we can fly in those Chinese lads to build their Chinese mega-city out at Kilmartin's. They might throw in a concert venue as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,972 ✭✭✭cena

Bring a pro ice hockey and rink to Athlone. It would be different

cena wrote: »
    Bring a pro ice hockey and rink to Athlone. It would be different

Is there a demand for it?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,972 ✭✭✭cena

I would say there is a demand. Plenty of people would enjoy watching the games.

I myself play the game and have to travel from Galway to Belfast to play.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,236 ✭✭✭Dr. Kenneth Noisewater

I've been to a Belfast Giants game up there and it's a great evening out. If you were to do it down south it'd probably need to be Dublin though. You'd need a fair critical mass to get 5,000 rocking up to those games every week or 2.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,723 ✭✭✭nice_guy80

I wouldn't go into the back garden to watch it.
    And i've been to blackhawk games in the states

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,190 Mod ✭✭✭✭charlieIRL

I remember seeing the plans for that back at the time, was more than just a venue for a concert, I think there was a hotel and shops planned.

Advertisement