Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Athlone thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,544 ✭✭✭veryangryman

Most of the Westmeath heads living in the part of town west of the Shannon wouldn't know a Gaelic football if it hit them in the face.

Should they need to? Athlone is a Garrison town and has alot of Football clubs with good histories (Willow Park and St Peters). Indeed the town themselves are doing alright lately and will get crowds if successful.

• Registered Users Posts: 588 ✭✭✭White lighting

Should they need to? Athlone is a Garrison town and has alot of Football clubs with good histories (Willow Park and St Peters). Indeed the town themselves are doing alright lately and will get crowds if successful.

:rolleyes: They are useless playing a useless standard of football in a useless league. They might get a couple more down if they start to stay winning but it will still only be small crowds. They have no local connection apart from playing half their games in the town. Dog poop

:rolleyes: They are useless playing a useless standard of football in a useless league. They might get a couple more down if they start to stay winning but it will still only be small crowds. They have no local connection apart from playing half their games in the town. Dog poop

Indeed there are very few Athlonians in that team. Fairly sure the prima donna teams across the water have a similar ratio of locals.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭4ensic15

Athlone is not a garrison town.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,683 ✭✭✭Subcomandante Marcos

4ensic15 wrote: »
    Athlone is not a garrison town.

It definitely is. There's been a military presence in the town for centuries.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,236 ✭✭✭Dr. Kenneth Noisewater

Oh yeah, 100%, that's my point. It's reflected in Athlone's relative lack of success in GAA. Athlone always was a soccer town. I'm more GAA myself but would always take an interest in ATFC.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,723 ✭✭✭nice_guy80

Oh yeah, 100%, that's my point. It's reflected in Athlone's relative lack of success in GAA. Athlone always was a soccer town. I'm more GAA myself but would always take an interest in ATFC.

Athlone GAA have more senior football titles than any other club in Westmeath

nice_guy80 wrote: »
    Athlone GAA have more senior football titles than any other club in Westmeath

Yeah but what, 2 titles in the last 30 years

Yeah but what, 2 titles in the last 30 years

How are Garrycastle doing? Alright, it seems

• Registered Users Posts: 588 ✭✭✭White lighting

Two gaa clubs in the wider Athlone area played in ALL Ireland club Finals in the last decade. That doesnt tell me there is a lack of success in the town

• Advertisement

It definitely is. There's been a military presence in the town for centuries.

A military presence does not mean it is a garrison town.

surely the word 'garrison' gives it away.

ie a military garrison...

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭GolfVI

Yes it does ? Thats the whole reasoning behind it being called a garrison town.. A garrison is a body of troops stationed at a location, and the therm “ garrison town” was used to describe any town with a military presence nearby

• Registered Users Posts: 12,927 ✭✭✭✭flazio

I meant to ask sooner, why was the parade on Saturday 16th and not Sunday 17th?

nice_guy80 wrote: »
    How are Garrycastle doing? Alright, it seems
    Two gaa clubs in the wider Athlone area played in ALL Ireland club Finals in the last decade. That doesnt tell me there is a lack of success in the town

Garrycastle and St Brigid's are not Athlone, even if Garrycastle does have some urban catchment in the area, I was referring specifically to Athlone GAA Club and its catchment.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,312 ✭✭✭Sunny Dayz

flazio wrote: »
    I meant to ask sooner, why was the parade on Saturday 16th and not Sunday 17th?
    I think I read somewhere that the parade organisers wanted to get some floats and stuff in the parade and so had it on the 16th when more groups would be available to take part in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,089 ✭✭✭TheRiverman

One of those clubs is St.Brigids which is a Roscommon club,the other,Garrycastle,and I am open to correction here, was formed years ago as a breakaway club due to some dispute within Athlone GAA.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,686 ✭✭✭✭Zubeneschamali

Garrycastle,and I am open to correction here, was formed years ago as a breakaway club due to some dispute within Athlone GAA.

Garrycastle is also inside the Athlone Municipal District, so it is not just near Athlone, it is in Athlone.

One of those clubs is St.Brigids which is a Roscommon club,the other,Garrycastle,and I am open to correction here, was formed years ago as a breakaway club due to some dispute within Athlone GAA.

Its just over 5 minutes from the town centre. This is worse than the gowls who advocated leaving monksland in roscommom boundaries despite there being alot of nothing west of it.

Its just over 5 minutes from the town centre. This is worse than the gowls who advocated leaving monksland in roscommom boundaries despite there being alot of nothing west of it.

What distance is 5 minutes? Light minutes? Monksland is in Roscommon. It might not always have been in Roscommon and might not always be, but that is where it is for now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,089 ✭✭✭TheRiverman

What distance is 5 minutes? Light minutes? Monksland is in Roscommon. It might not always have been in Roscommon and might not always be, but that is where it is for now.

St.Brigids club covers a much bigger area in South Roscommon than Monksland and what about Clan Na nGeal,another South Roscommon club that borders Athlone.

St.Brigids club covers a much bigger area in South Roscommon than Monksland

Who said it didn't?

Did i say that it isnt in roscommon? I said it was daft to leave it there.

Town needs to be allowed expand. And with country councils being the law of the land, the westmeath country needs to expand to allow for it.

Right now Monksland cant grow e.g Donie Kennys recent attempt halted from supervalu

Did i say that it isnt in roscommon? I said it was daft to leave it there.

Town needs to be allowed expand. And with country councils being the law of the land, the westmeath country needs to expand to allow for it.

Right now Monksland cant grow e.g Donie Kennys recent attempt halted from supervalu

How can Monksland not grow because it's in Roscommon? Genuinely interested

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,683 ✭✭✭Subcomandante Marcos

How can Monksland not grow because it's in Roscommon? Genuinely interested

Because right now the largest urban population centre in Roscommon county (monksland) has almost no representation in county councils.

Because right now the largest urban population centre in Roscommon county (monksland) has almost no representation in county councils.

If there are so many people there why don't they vote in some councillors?

That's fair enough, but I dont see how that limits the growth of the area. Didn't stop it growing over the past 30 years.

monksland is not the largest urban area in Roscommon

It would be more logical to put South Roscommon from a line between Lecarrow and Ballinasloe into Westmeath and amalgamate South Leitrim with North Roscommon and Amalgamate North Leitrim with Sligo.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,936 ✭✭✭I says

It would be more logical to put South Roscommon from a line between Lecarrow and Ballinasloe into Westmeath and amalgamate South Leitrim with North Roscommon and Amalgamate North Leitrim with Sligo.

Are you saying we should liquidate Leitrim altogether?

Advertisement