Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Severe Wind Storm late 26th-27th December

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,322 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

I just think it sounds too much like impending doom is at hand. Avoiding travel and staying indoors is good advice, but seek shelter sounds like people diving from their cars to avoid a meteor strike to me. :p

Yes, and what's your point?? :-P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

leahyl wrote: »
    Yes, and what's your point?? :-P

Code purple for Cork. :p

• Registered Users Posts: 6,327 ✭✭✭sunbabe08

Us rebels are always on red alert!

you make a very good point :D

Well I'm making it a red alert for Cork as well, we're not missing out on this one :-P

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭daelight

Last few pages have been needless nit picking about who's house is red or orange - this is a serious storm event, the experts have given much analysis - now Keep Calm and Seek Shelter.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭horsefarm

When was the last red alert? Just trying to gauge the warning off previous storms.
    Flights from Dublin to NY tomorrow will be affected I assume?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭JanuarySnowstor

Leaving cork out of the warning doesnt worry me. I can read the charts myself and know my city. Cork is right on the coast and is first to flood and see damage under this kind of set up.
    Cork airport will report a gust of over 90mph is my call. To put Waterford in and not Cork is just smart ass stuff. Its the second city in Ireland and has largest population outside of the pale! !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,037 ✭✭✭Cosmo Kramer

No part of the UK even set to amber as of yet. Although this event is making more of a direct hit here, if a red warning is out for Wexford and Waterford would a UK amber warning at least not be needed for south west Wales and Cornwall?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,055 ✭✭✭Red Nissan

Serious question though, why are we not includes in the red alert? Not saying that orange isn't serous but can't see why we would not be included in red alert??!

The Cork weather shield does exist. MT went to great length in 2010 to explain it in minute detail. We are effectively shielded from three side for major events coming our way, this has the effect of almost completely blocking snow and exceptionally heavy precipitation and wind and wind gusts are also lowered.

In any case where the wind shifts to our South East and East is when we are at our most vulnerable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭woody1

was planning on driving mayo to meath tomorrow, which now doesnt sound like such a good idea..although it is driving away from the worst of it.. whens it due to ease off lads.. the warning is til 3 o clock or is the whole day a wipeout

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,970 ✭✭✭Storm 10

From a safety point of view thousands of people will be on the move today, visiting family and friends, attending sporting events etc so the warnings should be going out on radio

Storm 10 wrote: »
    From a safety point of view thousands of people will be on the move today, visiting family and friends, attending sporting events etc so the warnings should be going out on radio

It was the first story on the 8am news.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,150 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Storm 10 wrote: »

Listen to the news (on radio) at 11.00...it has been the No. 1 headline all morning.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,055 ✭✭✭Red Nissan

Peoples' Republic of Cork, Independent Weather Service:

Forecast:
    Thurs 15:00: 30km/h wind, 0mm/h precipitation.
    Thurs 21:00: 51km/h wind, 1.5mm/hr precipitation.
    Friday 00:00: 55km/h wind. .9mm/h precipitation
    Friday 03:00: 66km/h wind, 0mm/h precipitation
    Friday 06:00: 58km/h wind, 0mm/h precipitation

:) I'm going for a Pink Alert.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,701 ✭✭✭moy83

What time is this storm to hit galway at ? At the moment its hard to believe its going to get so bad

On a more serious note, this will probably be the most significant storm for some areas since 1997.

But for other areas, it will be the most significant since last Wednesday.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,015 ✭✭✭John.Icy

Going to be copious amounts of taxi's and cars out late into Friday morning. Hope all can stay safe.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,882 ✭✭✭✭Rock Lesnar

Seek Shelter warning :eek:, now i cant get the air raid siren sound out of my head since i 1st read the headline.

Luckily i will be in shelter, down the local for a few pints :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,780 ✭✭✭Frank Lee Midere

Seek shelter probably means at home. For people out and about, or staying in campers. I can't see us all fitting into a homeless shelter.

DOCARCH wrote: »
    Listen to the news (on radio) at 11.00...it has been the No. 1 headline all morning.

Well it was not no1 which surprised me but its RTE nothing new there

• Advertisement

DOCARCH wrote: »

Well it was not no1 which surprised me but its RTE nothing new there

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭Bigcheeze

Its the second city in Ireland

Thanks for finally clearing that up :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 769 ✭✭✭davidsr20

Seems us in Galway or west in General will get the worst of it,or most of it :)
    Would like to see how Galway bay holds up but might be a bit mad to go out there tonight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 629 ✭✭✭cotton

Have just cancelled plans to drive from Wicklow to the in-laws in Meath tonight. Better to be safe than sorry.:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,422 ✭✭✭Avns1s

cotton wrote: »
    Have just cancelled plans to drive from Wicklow to the in-laws in Meath tonight. Better to be safe than sorry.:)

I often get afraid of my in-laws too!! :D:D:D:D

(Sorry - couldn't resist!)

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭Terry Wogans Inner Thigh

So Sligo should escape the worst of it and I can go for pints tonight?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭delw

On a more serious note, this will probably be the most significant storm for some areas since 1997.

But for other areas, it will be the most significant since last Wednesday.
    This could be the storm you've been waiting on Maq since then :)

delw wrote: »
    This could be the storm you've been waiting on Maq since then :)

I'm not expecting it to be on that kind of level for where I am in the southeast. Along the coast and in parts of Wexford it could be quite severe though.

It'll be an interesting storm to watch develop though!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,039 ✭✭✭redsteveireland

Just want to says thanks to everyone, I was planning to head from Galway to Dublin tomorrow but because of the info. here I have changed it to NOW.
    As much as I want to stay and experience the storm, family safety comes first.

• Advertisement

I'm not expecting it to be on that kind of level for where I am in the southeast. Along the coast and in parts of Wexford it could be quite severe though.

It'll be an interesting storm to watch develop though!

What are your thoughts on the severity for Cork Maq?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,543 ✭✭✭Conmaicne Mara

Is it too late for me to buy a fall out shelter online? Last storm was overly hyped, am not buying into it for this one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,219 ✭✭✭pad199207

Looking at the Sat it's making a bee line for Ireland. Seems to be on track so

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,780 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

Real calm before the storm now, a beautiful sunny winter's morning.

You really would have no clue a big storm is on the way!

One of the most impressive gradients i've ever seen on WZ over Ireland at this range for the storm.

Rtavn241.png

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 998 ✭✭✭dharma200

Is it too late for me to buy a fall out shelter online? Last storm was overly hyped, am not buying into it for this one.

better for people considering travelling etc for it to be overly hyped....
    The five year old girl who died on Christmas Day in Galway due to a crash because of the winds a week ago is testament to that. have a think of her everyone before you go driving tonight x

dharma200 wrote: »
    better for people considering travelling etc for it to be overly hyped....
    The five year old girl who died on Christmas Day in Galway due to a crash because of the winds a week ago is testament to that. have a think of her everyone before you go driving tonight x

Maybe, but people crash in good weather too :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭kerrywez

horsefarm wrote: »
    When was the last red alert? Just trying to gauge the warning off previous storms.
    Flights from Dublin to NY tomorrow will be affected I assume?

As a matter of fact it was just a few weeks, if that ago.

Wez

• Registered Users Posts: 3,029 ✭✭✭Call me Al

I had hoped to head home to Achill tomorrow morning. Ah well...
    It's been very rough down there this past week so I can just imagine what this one will bring.... Squall after squall after squall.

What are your thoughts on the severity for Cork Maq?

I think for places down around the Bantry area it could be severe but further up the coast Cork City is more sheltered and it looks like the winds could be mostly parallel to the coast there rather that roaring in from the sea. Still looks like gales or strong gales would be possible though. 100+ km/h gusts will be widespread anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭Davaeo09

Some thing people seem to forget is how most of the previous action was by and large confined to the North and West. This looks to be a direct hit for allot of Ireland and almost all counties will see high winds and heavy rain. Most of the destruction is going to be along the South and West Coastal Counties but for gods sake don't take these warnings for a laugh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭Mr Cumulonimbus

Picture of Nephin mountain today. Layer of Cirrus pushing in now. It's a comin........

286028.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 998 ✭✭✭dharma200

People do... The crash she died in was directly attributed to bad weather, on a motorway, wind and driver error.

There are crashes every day... There was a travel warning... As there is now.
    People will be every more at risk of making bad decisions, such as the driver of the car the little girl died in, when they think the forecast is now hyped. People may be more inclined to drive etc due to the last predicted storm not being as bad as first thought.
    if we all realise it potentially could be way way worse, then maybe someone who might make the decision to travel in a car tonight might change their mind. X

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,101 ✭✭✭Weathering

The Met office have updated their Wind warning to include all of Northern Ireland. They go for gusts of 50/60mp/h over land and 70/80mp/h on coasts and high ground. So 50/60 for most over land in the North is nothing to write home about.

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/public/weather/warnings/#?tab=warnings&regionName=ni&fcTime=1388016000

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭Rosier

Correction. that was not a crash. The family car got literally blown across the road so this was a direct result of the winds.

someone yesterday wrote of driving in this weather; poor man had to change his trousers.

and please spare a thought for the emergency services in this weather, especially high sided ambulances.

when you take risks knowingly it is not just your life you are playing with.

Davaeo09 wrote: »
    Some thing people seem to forget is how most of the previous action was by and large confined to the North and West. This looks to be a direct hit for allot of Ireland and almost all counties will see high winds and heavy rain. Most of the destruction is going to be along the South and West Coastal Counties but for gods sake don't take these warnings for a laugh.

The difference between the previous red warning and this one is that the previous storm quickly brushed up along the west coast, this time the swathe of severe winds is aimed more directly towards us, which means strong winds lasting longer and pushing further inland.

dharma200 wrote: »
    People do... The crash she died in was directly attributed to bad weather, on a motorway, wind and driver error.

There are crashes every day... There was a travel warning... As there is now.
    People will be every more at risk of making bad decisions, such as the driver of the car the little girl died in, when they think the forecast is now hyped. People may be more inclined to drive etc due to the last predicted storm not being as bad as first thought.
    if we all realise it potentially could be way way worse, then maybe someone who might make the decision to travel in a car tonight might change their mind. X

apologies; took me so long to log in and you posted while I was doing that

Weathering wrote: »
    The Met office have updated their Wind warning to include all of Northern Ireland. They go for gusts of 50/60mp/h over land and 70/80mp/h on coasts and high ground. So 50/60 for most over land in the North is nothing to write home about.

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/public/weather/warnings/#?tab=warnings&regionName=ni&fcTime=1388016000

Northern part of the country is the lowest area at risk of strong winds from this.

Rosier wrote: »
    Correction. that was not a crash. The family car got literally blown across the road so this was a direct result of the winds.

someone yesterday wrote of driving in this weather; poor man had to change his trousers.

and please spare a thought for the emergency services in this weather, especially high sided ambulances.

when you take risks knowingly it is not just your life you are playing with.

There was also an advisory not to travel the last time out. I live in West Connemara, drove into Galway city, out to East Galway, and back home during the night. Compared to the warnings it was a damp squib, and we were supposed to be directly in the firing line, just like this time.

There was also an advisory not to travel the last time out. I live in West Connemara, drove into Galway city, out to East Galway, and back home during the night. Compared to the warnings it was a damp squib, and we were supposed to be directly in the firing line, just like this time.

well OK; is that not safer than ignoring the warnings. I am in south Kerry and it was wild here and will be tonight. Because of the forecast I did my shopping last Saturday and have not been out since

weather forecasting is not an exact science; it could have been different.so yes it was foolhardy to be out like that.

your call; but expect no sympathy!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,956 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

Weathering wrote: »

it is, for places not used to it. 50/60 mph gusts is unsual well inland.
    also bear in mind the best/worst of it is likely to be in the west, south west, this time

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,101 ✭✭✭Weathering

Yes I know. I'm just stating how much of a non-event it is for northern regions

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement