Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

nvidia Shield - Tips & tricks [Read post #1]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,815 ✭✭✭stimpson

T-b0n3 wrote: »
    I use this too and like it.

What settings did you need to change? Does you voice search work? Mine never has.

Go to settings -> Security and restrictions -> Switch off Bluetooth LE Privacy -> reboot the Box.
    You then need to unpair your bluetooth remote and then re-pair and then you will have no issues.

I don't use voice, but I think it works OK. Will try later.

• Registered Users Posts: 811 ✭✭✭Rock Paper Scissors

Lads did anyone else get an update to the play store on the shield with a new interface?

I have 3 shields and only one of them got the update

• Registered Users Posts: 1,862 ✭✭✭donspeekinglesh

Lads did anyone else get an update to the play store on the shield with a new interface?

I have 3 shields and only one of them got the update

https://www.androidpolice.com/2019/10/18/android-tv-play-store-starts-getting-its-long-awaited-redesign/

I haven't had a chance to check mine yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭OffalyMedic

Downloaded Hue Stream to my shield tonight and it works amazing well with YouTube and IPTV (havnt tried other apps yet). At the moment I just have the bulb in a simple desk lamp behind the TV to give effect but definitely going to buy light strips for behind it now I've seen it in action!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭The high horse brigade

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,524 ✭✭✭✭banie01

It updated for me a few days ago and is not opened it until I saw your post ;)
    Makes the whole app much more wife friendly :P

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

Anyone finding apps greyed out with update pending yet no update is available. Happened the rte player & YouTube app for me.
    I deleted the rte player app and redownloaded it but I guess with YouTube I uninstall updates and update again. :/
    It worked, the new YouTube layout for me is different. The Shield remote app is fantastic imo, miles better than this time last year when it would connect to your Shield 30% of the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,215 ✭✭✭✭Suckit

• Registered Users Posts: 14,754 ✭✭✭✭McDermotX

• Registered Users Posts: 11,215 ✭✭✭✭Suckit

OmegaGene wrote: »
    Yeah that was posted here on the 17th looks cool but my 2017 model is still going like a beast

Edit:- seems to be a red thumbs down on my post for some reason :-(

I think it's only available from today.

The 17 should be good for a while yet anyway. Also maybe not as many 'tips and tricks' for the 2019 version yet. But might get some good 2017 prices for Black Friday.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,691 ✭✭✭Irish Gunner

Was using the PS3 controller when I was playing games but getting rid of it along with console as part of clean out

So many controllers out there any good ones I can pick up that wont cost an arm and a leg

• Registered Users Posts: 8,865 ✭✭✭Soarer

How portable is the Shield?

I'm looking for something I can take away on holidays, have Prime and Netflix on, and possibly a USB port to connect an external HDD.

Don't really see me using it at home (unless there's something I should be doing that I don't know about!), so is the Shield overkill?

Soarer wrote: »
    How portable is the Shield?

I'm looking for something I can take away on holidays, have Prime and Netflix on, and possibly a USB port to connect an external HDD.

Don't really see me using it at home (unless there's something I should be doing that I don't know about!), so is the Shield overkill?

Its certainly small enough to allow such use however it would be larger than other similar devices, its @ the size of a DVD case but for the use envisaged is complete overkill.

A Firestick or even just an MHL cable for your mobile would be far more suitable for the use you are outlining.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭advertsfox

Good news, it's confirmed the Netflix button on the new remote can easily be remapped or disabled with Button Mapper (no root required).

https://www.xda-developers.com/shield-tv-remote-netflix-button-remapped/

• Registered Users Posts: 818 ✭✭✭setanta1984

Ordered the tube from Amazon, my first Shield (apart from the Shield tablet) - should be delivered on friday, looking forward to it :)

One thing I'd like to know regarding Android TV I suppose more so than the Shield specifically - is it as easy to install apps from other countries on the shield as it is on say an Android phone? On my phone I just create a google account linked to the country I want the app from with a VPN, then I can just download them from the playstore - for example BBC iPlayer from UK, DAZN from Germany etc.- Is this just the same on the shield?

Ordered the tube from Amazon, my first Shield (apart from the Shield tablet) - should be delivered on friday, looking forward to it :)

One thing I'd like to know regarding Android TV I suppose more so than the Shield specifically - is it as easy to install apps from other countries on the shield as it is on say an Android phone? On my phone I just create a google account linked to the country I want the app from with a VPN, then I can just download them from the playstore - for example BBC iPlayer from UK, DAZN from Germany etc.- Is this just the same on the shield?

Android TV is a lot more restrictive than android OS but you can side-load apps by just installing the .apk. You'll need to use side-load launcher as they will not appear in the app drawer or on the homescreen

• Registered Users Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭Irishmale0399

Lads following problem....

Samsung TV (UHD)
    Connected to below by HDMI (ARC)
    Sony DN160 AV Receiver
    Connected to above by HDMI
    Nvidia Shield

Anyways...If I stream a Netflix film and choose 5.1 audio I am no getting any sound. Strangly enough when they play the preview the AV-Receiver is showing the audio of them as Dolby+.....

Any ideas of what might be wrong??? Anyone had similar problems??? Off out for a walk with the dog for about 2 hours and hope to return to some wisdom....cause I have just spent 4-5 hours trying to get it working. Next step is a new AV-Receiver if I cant get the surround working.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭clintondaly

Samsung TV (UHD)
    Sony DN160 AV Receiver
    Nvidia Shield

Anyways...If I stream a Netflix film and choose 5.1 audio I am no getting any sound. Strangly enough when they play the preview the AV-Receiver is showing the audio of them as Dolby+.....

Any ideas of what might be wrong??? Anyone had similar problems??? Off out for a walk with the dog for about 2 hours and hope to return to some wisdom....cause I have just spent 4-5 hours trying to get it working. Next step is a new AV-Receiver if I cant get the surround working.

The first thing I would suggest is just use another app on the shield to play something with 5.1 VLC Kodi plex etc. and see what happens

Also connect the other way with Shield connecting through receiver to TV without arc

Also connect the other way with Shield connecting through receiver to TV without arc

This.
    Connect your inputs, shield, satellite, console and a.n other to the amp and then to the TV.
    If you are using a surround set up, ARC doesn't really gain you anything.
    All inputs thru your amp to TV with adjustment as needed via the amp for any delay.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,312 ✭✭✭xtal191

Had a quick look at the Tube.....nothing major, just the setup etc so didnt get to play anything, but the remote is a positive and a negative.....good functionality and buttons etc, but not a fan of the design in the hand.
    Doesnt bother me in the main as I use a Harmony with the main Shield (and will be using it with the Pro when it shows up next week), but it's a minor quibble that probably won't bother many, and will be just fine for a semi portable device like this model.
    But nice compact device that'll come in handy around the house.

xtal191 wrote: »

Interesting, so exactly the same performance. He says you are better value to but the 2017 with a gaming controller and to add the new remote

• Registered Users Posts: 1,612 ✭✭✭talla

Samsung TV (UHD)
    Sony DN160 AV Receiver
    Nvidia Shield

Had this problem also since the last major shield upgrade in Netflix.
    Defaults to 5.1 sound when playing in Netflix or Amazon Prime(all other apps fine), all i got was no sound and a stuttering picture.

I'm using shield connecting to Yamaha YAS207 soundbar via HDMI and then from soundbar to 4k monitor via HDMI

Changing the setting below fixed for me.
    Go to Setting ->Device Preferences -> Display & Sound -> Advanced sound Settings ->Surround Sound - Select Formats
    Set to Auto

or manually select the surround sound format supported by your setup (it had enabled all formats for me by default which I believe was causing the issue for me)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,646 ✭✭✭54and56

Interesting, so exactly the same performance. He says you are better value to but the 2017 with a gaming controller and to add the new remote

Is the new remote available to buy separately already and has anyone confirmed it is backward compatible with the 2017 model? I'll be a buyer if it is as whilst the 2017 skinny remote was a good concept it was poorly implemented.

54and56 wrote: »
    Is the new remote available to buy separately already and has anyone confirmed it is backward compatible with the 2017 model? I'll be a buyer if it is as whilst the 2017 skinny remote was a good concept it was poorly implemented.

Yes, already confirmed it's going to be 30 quid and is backwards compatible. None on Amazon yet, give it time. The Netflix button is also easy to reconfigure to any app

• Registered Users Posts: 3,408 ✭✭✭chewed

So, is there any difference between the Tube and the new Pro?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭advertsfox

chewed wrote: »
    Spec wise, very little. The obvious one is the missing USB ports and the Pro comes with 3GB of RAM / 16GB storage to the Tubes 2GB of RAM / 8GB of storage. Both are still the perfect streaming device, better than anything else on offer.

Tube has less memory and storage space, as well as no USB ports though it does have a MicroSD, but other than that it's the same capability-wise with regards to apps, streaming etc
    2GB v 3GB might make some difference as usage accumulates especially with heavy streaming from NAS etc but hard to say right now.

Its designed to hidden away though as, in fairness, it's no looker, so if you're looking for something central to your setup, USB accessible etc, then a Pro is the way to go.

• Advertisement

chewed wrote: »

The tube is a great option for someone who's never going to game

Advertisement