Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

nvidia Shield - Tips & tricks [Read post #1]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,301 ✭✭✭✭gerrybbadd

Does anybody have an issue with the rte player app on the shield?

It plays fine but if I try to play it later on or the next day all I get is a black screen with an upside down android logo in the top left corner and I have to reinstall the app to use it again.

It's happening on all 3 of my shields

It's an RTE Player issue rather than a shield issue. The RTE Player is incredibly crap across all devices.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,257 ✭✭✭✭Standard Toaster

Does anybody have an issue with the rte player app on the shield?

It plays fine but if I try to play it later on or the next day all I get is a black screen with an upside down android logo in the top left corner and I have to reinstall the app to use it again.

It's happening on all 3 of my shields

Yeap. Go into apps and force it to close. Then clear the app cache.
    Should fire up then. I have to do this each time. :shrugs:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,717 ✭✭✭BandMember

gerrybbadd wrote: »
    It's an RTE Player issue rather than a shield issue. The RTE Player is incredibly crap across all devices.

It works fine on my Android TV but I'm having the same problem on my Shield. Will try following the advice above and see if that works for me too.

• Registered Users Posts: 930 ✭✭✭Daz_

Hi. Has anyone changed settings to Static IP and then change DNS settings on the Shield?

I’m trying to chance DNS to google to see if it works faster but when I make these changes it drops internet connection .

Do I need to make changes at router level ?

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭clintondaly

Daz_ wrote: »
    Hi. Has anyone changed settings to Static IP and then change DNS settings on the Shield?

I’m trying to chance DNS to google to see if it works faster but when I make these changes it drops internet connection .

Do I need to make changes at router level ?

Thanks

They advise against setting up the static within the Shield itself.
    I have the static address assigned within the router(For Plex Remote access,Port Forward also set up) and kept the Eir DNS,I did try the Google DNS but didn't see any real improvement.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,863 ✭✭✭donspeekinglesh

I set a static address on the Shield so I could use a third party DNS provider. Had no issues setting it up and it's always worked perfectly

• Registered Users Posts: 930 ✭✭✭Daz_

I set a static address on the Shield so I could use a third party DNS provider. Had no issues setting it up and it's always worked perfectly

That’s interesting , did you make any changes to the router setting? Maybe it depends on provider , I’m withThree

Daz_ wrote: »
    That’s interesting , did you make any changes to the router setting? Maybe it depends on provider , I’m withThree

Nope, though I did switch to using Google DNS on the router at a later date when eir had issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,815 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Anyone recommend a free alternative to tvIrl?

t's fantastic but the cost of premium for record and auto-update of EPG is a bit of a deal breaker.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,815 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Literally since I've gotten the Shield (almost a year ago), it's been saying the battery is low and it just changed to critically low in the last few days.

Replaced it with two brand new CR2032 batteries and I can't update the firmware in it as the battery is too low?!?

Tempted to get onto Nvidia about it as something not right.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,130 ✭✭✭ilovesmybrick

Basq wrote: »
    Literally since I've gotten the Shield (almost a year ago), it's been saying the battery is low and it just changed to critically low in the last few days.

Replaced it with two brand new CR2032 batteries and I can't update the firmware in it as the battery is too low?!?

Tempted to get onto Nvidia about it as something not right.

I've actually just noticed that for the past two weeks the controller has been doing this to me. I wonder if the standby isn't kicking in properly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭The high horse brigade

Anyone know a cheap place to buy a Nvidia shield game controller, one of mine gave up the ghost. Or even some other controller that works well with it? Or has anyone got a gaming controller they never use that will part with it for decent money?

They're pricy new about £60. I bought a cheap generic wired USB controller for about £15 from Amazon. Does the job for the occasional time we want to play multiplayer.

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭Ben Done

Anyone know a cheap place to buy a Nvidia shield game controller, one of mine gave up the ghost. Or even some other controller that works well with it? Or has anyone got a gaming controller they never use that will part with it for decent money?

PM sent

They're pricy new about £60. I bought a cheap generic wired USB controller for about £15 from Amazon. Does the job for the occasional time we want to play multiplayer.

They're £77 atm which is way too much https://www.amazon.co.uk/Nvidia-945-12920-2500-000-NVIDIA-SHIELD-Controller/dp/B01N7DQ0L6/ref=sr_1_1?keywords=nvidia+controller&qid=1567248056&s=gateway&sr=8-1

I don't want a wired controller

Ben Done wrote: »
    PM sent

Cheers.

I'm sorted now folks :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,130 ✭✭✭ilovesmybrick

If I was buying a new controller I'd probably stay away from the Nvidia one. I've been having issues with mine constantly scrolling on kodi and youtube. It will happen for a week or so after every update and it's as irritating as hell. Halway through a film and it starts fast scrolling forward. And Nvidia have not exactly been helpful with the issue. Not something to spend 60 quid + on.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭xckjoo

I'm using a few media apps (criterion channel and jellyfin) that don't seem to have options to appear in the channel (?) list on the homescreen. Is there a workaround to this? Not a disaster but would be nicer to have them.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,544 ✭✭✭Hogzy

Folks is the Nvidia Shield still a good buy, its not too long in the tooth at this stage? Its currently 190eur in currys and I have a 100eur voucher.

I want a stable platform for streaming, plex server and a general home multimedia system.

In terms of budget the max im willing to pay would be 150-200 but given I have a 100 euro one4all voucher im inclined to go with the shield.

Anyone have any other advice for me which might influence my decision?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,007 ✭✭✭nedd

There may be a new version in the works.

If you ignore that, then this is still far and away the best option compared to any other Android Box

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭rustledjimmies

It's definitely still the best box but on the other hand, I find I'm using mine way less now that I've a new TV. It came with Netflix, Amazon Prime Video, RTE Player and a few other streaming apps installed out of the box. I was able to add the Plex player too so I'm really only using the Shield as a Plex Media Server only - something a newer Raspberry Pi can also handle (avoid transcoding for best results).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,390 ✭✭✭Bowlardo

Folks anyone know how to get rid of google assist
    I went to settings apps and disabled any app with google in the name but to no avail

• Registered Users Posts: 3,408 ✭✭✭chewed

Hogzy wrote: »
    Folks is the Nvidia Shield still a good buy, its not too long in the tooth at this stage? Its currently 190eur in currys and I have a 100eur voucher.

I want a stable platform for streaming, plex server and a general home multimedia system.

In terms of budget the max im willing to pay would be 150-200 but given I have a 100 euro one4all voucher im inclined to go with the shield.

Anyone have any other advice for me which might influence my decision?

Do Currys still have it for sale?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,544 ✭✭✭Hogzy

chewed wrote: »
    Do Currys still have it for sale?

Just noticed its online purchase only and they dont accept one4all online as far as im aware so thats thrown a spanner in the works!

• Registered Users Posts: 587 ✭✭✭theintern

Hogzy wrote: »
    Just noticed its online purchase only and they dont accept one4all online as far as im aware so thats thrown a spanner in the works!

Buy Currys vouchers with the One4all in person and then use them online? Never tried that but I have a feeling it would work.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,652 ✭✭✭54and56

It's definitely still the best box but on the other hand, I find I'm using mine way less now that I've a new TV. It came with Netflix, Amazon Prime Video, RTE Player and a few other streaming apps installed out of the box. I was able to add the Plex player too so I'm really only using the Shield as a Plex Media Server only - something a newer Raspberry Pi can also handle (avoid transcoding for best results).

Exactly the same here. Have Netflix, Amazon Prime, Plex Client, YouTube and IPTV etc on a new smart LG TV and they work fine. The Shield has been relegated to being a Plex Server and as a backup device should the TV based apps not work for some reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

I see the Amazon TV cube is now available via UK.

How are they in comparison with the shield?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,492 ✭✭✭Sir Oxman

54and56 wrote: »
    Exactly the same here. Have Netflix, Amazon Prime, Plex Client, YouTube and IPTV etc on a new smart LG TV and they work fine. The Shield has been relegated to being a Plex Server and as a backup device should the TV based apps not work for some reason.

Same here - I have various boxes but all basically redundant with my new LG tv. They've done the smart tv thing well.

Netflix
    Prime
    Nowtv
    Smart IPTV

Plex
    Youtube
    RTE

BBC
    ITV
    All4
    Demand5
    UKTV Play

• Registered Users Posts: 7,815 ✭✭✭stimpson

The issue I had with Plex on Smart TVs was limited codec support and limited surround sound support. Maybe things have improved but I am reluctant to let go of my shield. I have a Sony with a fantastic panel, but the processor running Android TV is hot garbage.

• Advertisement

stimpson wrote: »
    The issue I had with Plex on Smart TVs was limited codec support and limited surround sound support. Maybe things have improved but I am reluctant to let go of my shield. I have a Sony with a fantastic panel, but the processor running Android TV is hot garbage.

Yep, exactly this. I share an Emby server and the codec support on the LG and Samsung TVs is very poor and forces the server to transcode which I don't want. The Sony's with Android TV work better

Advertisement