Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland Team Talk X: The Long Hard Road to a Semi. MOD WARNING POSTS #1, #1474, #5707

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,560 ✭✭✭clsmooth

yerrahbah wrote: »
    Henderson clear to play.

Thats great news. He'll be needed for France and Wales. Maybe Henderson and Roux vs Italy with Beirne from the bench? Let Ryan have a few weeks off.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,756 ✭✭✭✭bilston

The guy chairing the disciplinary committee is the same guy who overturned Steff Evans' red card against Leinster a couple of years ago, after deciding that another guy made the challenge dangerous.

If he decides that Murphy was a factor and follows his own precedent, then Henderson could be OK.

You heard it here first folks.

Awec...buy that man a Harp

• Registered Users Posts: 21,607 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

Is two tightheads for an away game not cutting it a bit close for comfort? None of the 3 looseheads can cover that side of the scrum if there was an injury in the warm ups or anything like that.

• Administrators Posts: 53,438 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Even though he was cleared, he pretty much just wasted an entire day in the lead up to the game and missed training, so may not be picked to start anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,655 ✭✭✭✭Eod100

awec wrote: »
    Even though he was cleared, he pretty much just wasted an entire day in the lead up to the game and missed training, so may not be picked to start anyway.

Wasn't it a video conference? Might have been less disruption then

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,183 ✭✭✭✭Buer

He dialled in from Carton House. Didn't miss anything.

• Administrators Posts: 53,438 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Ah sure that's grand so.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,367 ✭✭✭Paul Smeenus

JUSTICE

• Registered Users Posts: 16,759 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

I'd start Ryan and Hendo together on Sunday. Get them primed for France.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,931 ✭✭✭leakyboots

troyzer wrote: »
    To be fair to Adam Byrne, he's a ****ing unit who's great in the air and a serious carrier.

The only thing ever stopping him from making a run at a starting Jersey for Leinster and Ireland was his poor decision making at time, his aversion to contact and his questionable defense.

He's improved noticably in all of these areas so far this year. I think it's a year too late for this world cup but I think he has a good chance of contesting for the 14 jersey for Ireland and Leinster after the world cup.

Has his defence improved? Thought he was still prone to the misreads. Any player can do that from time to time obviously but he seems to have a consistent issue when there's traffic coming his way

This is all moot anyway, I doubt he'll get gametime

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,756 ✭✭✭ionadnapokot

Clegg wrote: »

Ryan surely needs a break?
    Don’t want him to suffer like Itoje did - 2016 to 2017 included that 16-month, 31-game unbeaten streak.
    But by last years 6 Nations he was played out.

Ryan is coming up on 40th game in 15 months.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,759 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

Ryan surely needs a break?
    Don’t want him to suffer like Itoje did - 2016 to 2017 included that 16-month, 31-game unbeaten streak.
    But by last years 6 Nations he was played out.

Ryan is coming up on 40th game in 15 months.
    There was no game last week and there'll be no game next week. Plenty of time for recuperation. Itoje played almost every game for Saracens as well as England. Ryan hasn't been flogged in the same way.

He's one of our most important players already and the only nailed down starter in the second row. We need him playing. Especially in away games.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,440 ✭✭✭The Rape of Lucretia

There was no game last week and there'll be no game next week. Plenty of time for recuperation. Itoje played almost every game for Saracens as well as England. Ryan hasn't been flogged in the same way.

He's one of our most important players already and the only nailed down starter in the second row. We need him playing. Especially in away games.

Its Italy though. Barely a game. Ryan can easily be rested. Even the risk of him getting injured justifies not playing him in pointless games when other players can benefit from the gametime or experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,756 ✭✭✭ionadnapokot

I think he’s played allot of rugby for a 22 year old Lock
    & it’s ****ALY away! Ireland will bonus point them with Henderson & Nagle!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,183 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

Its Italy though. Barely a game. Ryan can easily be rested. Even the risk of him getting injured justifies not playing him in pointless games when other players can benefit from the gametime or experience.

Ryan will play 3 games between February 10th and March 29th. (Day after Scotland v Ireland to day before Leinster v Ulster)

Italy away
    France home
    Wales away

After the Euro QF he won't play pro14 in the following 2 weeks. Its likely his next pro14 game could be in the playoffs in May. Between now and then he is likely to play 6/7 games max. In 3 months.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,646 ✭✭✭Jump_In_Jack

Looking at the squad named for the Italy match, would guess the following is how Joe has them lined up this week to prepare for it:

Probable team:
    Cian Healy, Rory Best, Tadhg Furlong, James Ryan, Iain Henderson, Peter O’Mahony, Sean O’Brien, Jack Conan, Conor Murray, Jonathan Sexton, Jacob Stockdale, Bundee Aki, Robbie Henshaw, Keith Earls, Rob Kearney.

Training team:
    Dave Kilcoyne, Sean Cronin, John Ryan, Ultan Dillane, Quinn Roux, Tadhg Beirne, Josh van der Flier, Jordi Murphy, John Cooney, Joey Carbery, Adam Byrne, Tom Farrell, Chris Farrell, Andrew Conway, Jordan Larmour.

Reserves:
    Jack McGrath, Niall Scannell, Jack Carty, Caolin Blade.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,076 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Surely a game to rest best and give scannel and cronin full reign

• Registered Users Posts: 3,646 ✭✭✭Jump_In_Jack

sydthebeat wrote: »

Ideally would rest Healy, Best and Sexton.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,199 ✭✭✭troyzer

sydthebeat wrote: »

Ideally would rest Healy, Best and Sexton.

You can't rest Sexton. He's undercooked as it is, he has very little recent gametime.

You can't rest Sexton. He's undercooked as it is, he has very little recent gametime.

He can do with 20 minutes. He's not injured and looked sharp in his 25 minutes against Scotland.

There is a more pressing need. Carbery needs game time in green desperately and this is the last genuinely competitve match before the RWC.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,248 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

Pre-tournament, everyone would have said Carbery needs to start this game at a minimum, with the RWC on the horizon. I don't see any reason why that needs to change.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

I don't see much point in Sexton starting this. The Championship is more or less gone anyway.

aloooof wrote: »
    Pre-tournament, everyone would have said Carbery needs to start this game at a minimum, with the RWC on the horizon. I don't see any reason why that needs to change.

It shouldn't. Even if Carbery managed to get 55 minutes against Scotland, it just highlighted that he is developing and needs more time. This is the ideal opportunity for him to get a little confidence in a full blooded game as part of a strong line up.

If the same scenario occurred against SA in the RWC quarter final, Carbery will need to be a lot more comfortable in the Irish 10 spot than he was for his first 20 minutes in Murrayfield.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,447 ✭✭✭Wegians89

1. Healy
    2. Scannell
    3. Furlong
    4. Ryan
    5. Henderson / roux (if Henderson isn’t fit enough)
    6. Pom
    7. Sob
    8. Conan
    9. Murray
    10. Sexton
    11. Stockdale
    12. Bundee
    13. Henshaw/ c Farrell / t Farrell (who ever is fit)
    14. Larmour
    15. Kearney

16. Best
    17. Kilcoyne
    18. Ryan
    19. Dillane / beirne
    20. Murphy
    21. Cooney / blade
    22. Carbery
    23. Conway

• Registered Users Posts: 1,037 ✭✭✭conf101

Buer wrote: »

He can do with 20 minutes. He's not injured and looked sharp in his 25 minutes against Scotland.

There is a more pressing need. Carbery needs game time in green desperately and this is the last genuinely competitve match before the RWC.

Maybe you can write off France, but you don't think Wales is a competitive game?

conf101 wrote: »
    Maybe you can write off France, but you don't think Wales is a competitive game?

I meant it's the last genuinely competitvely match where Carbery has an opportunity to start. There's no chance that he starts against France or Wales.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,728 ✭✭✭Former Former

I don't see huge value in rotating large numbers of players. This is a very, very poor Italy team.

I don't doubt that Cronin would run riot, that Roux would look like a titan of the pack and that Carbery would run the show with guile and elan. What would it really tell us? That these guys can hack it against an XV that would be mid-range in the Pro14? Sure we already know that.

If we really want to test players out, we need to see them playing against France and Wales.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

I don't see huge value in rotating large numbers of players. This is a very, very poor Italy team.

I don't doubt that Cronin would run riot, that Roux would look like a titan of the pack and that Carbery would run the show with guile and elan. What would it really tell us? That these guys can hack it against an XV that would be mid-range in the Pro14? Sure we already know that.

If we really want to test players out, we need to see them playing against France and Wales.

It's a poor Italy team but I think someone like Carbery would get a lot of value playing alongside the first team.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,728 ✭✭✭Former Former

It's a poor Italy team but I think someone like Carbery would get a lot of value playing alongside the first team.

Yeah, he would - but if there's too much rotation, then he loses that value. Those tests we played in the Autumn against Italy and USA were utterly meaningless for just that reason.

TLDR - a couple of changes, no more, be grand.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,150 ✭✭✭Mr Tickle

Is there much more benefit in sending out a team of Lions and tearing them apart?
    We still have a handful of positions where our depth is either inexperienced or uncertain (no clear hierarchy). This is the kind of game where we can work on that a little.
    I'd also like to see some rotation in the France game for what its worth.

edit: Just re-read your post and saw your next reply. Yeah we shouldn't rotate a huge number. but there's surely room for 3 in the starting 15 and maybe another one or two on the bench.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement