Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland Team Talk X: The Long Hard Road to a Semi. MOD WARNING POSTS #1, #1474, #5707

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,156 ✭✭✭Mr Tickle

Shefwedfan wrote: »
    As per my post, which you forgot to quote the rest of it, if you play Carberry against Italy then you play him for rest of tournament.

I'm struggling to get my head around this. Can you please explain it and try not to be wrong?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

Mr Tickle wrote: »
    I'm struggling to get my head around this. Can you please explain it and try not to be wrong?

Sexton has no game time, he played against Munster at Christmas and then against England and 20 mins against Scotland.....someone else posted the amount of minutes but low

If he doesn't play against Italy and get a good run out you expect him to start against France with how many minutes in the last 2-3 months?

Carberry has been playing regular all that time including a good run out against England and majority of Scotland match.

If Carberry starts the Italy match he will get 60-70 minutes so Sexton will get a max of 20 mins.

No matter how awful France are they always turn up and perform against Ireland. If you have Sexton with less than 200 mins or Carberry coming into game with good game time it doesn't make sense to start Sexton who will be ring rusty. If he starts against France then he starts against Wales.....

This was even pointed out before the tournament started that Joe would have to play Sexton for the Italy match because leaving him sitting on sidelines for a month is not great prep for a big game

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

After two games the 6 nations is gone????? :confused::confused::confused::confused:

The more points and better position the more money for the IRFU....

Yes, it's gone. The 0-5 loss to England ended our chance or more correctly England picking up ten points in the first two games. England might lose to Wales but they won't lose to Scotland or Italy who they play in Twickenham.

Sexton has no game time, he played against Munster at Christmas and then against England and 20 mins against Scotland.....someone else posted the amount of minutes but low

If he doesn't play against Italy and get a good run out you expect him to start against France with how many minutes in the last 2-3 months?

Carberry has been playing regular all that time including a good run out against England and majority of Scotland match.

If Carberry starts the Italy match he will get 60-70 minutes so Sexton will get a max of 20 mins.

No matter how awful France are they always turn up and perform against Ireland. If you have Sexton with less than 200 mins or Carberry coming into game with good game time it doesn't make sense to start Sexton who will be ring rusty. If he starts against France then he starts against Wales.....

This was even pointed out before the tournament started that Joe would have to play Sexton for the Italy match because leaving him sitting on sidelines for a month is not great prep for a big game

Sexton has come straight back from injury plenty of times though. regularly with little to no game time.

This game is where younger guys can prove themselves. Not a whole team of subs but maybe 7 across the 23.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,193 ✭✭✭✭Buer

This stuff about Joey needs time at 10, he is playing week in week out with Munster at 10 with the Irish 9, he is getting loads of experience. The issue going into the last WC was Madigan was not playing 10 at international or club level. He was playing 13 or 15 or bench.

Actually, in the 2 seasons approaching the RWC, Madigan had 17 starts for Leinster at outhalf. Carbery currently has 13 between last season and this season. He'll probably finish the season with around 18 so similar enough numbers.

There's a gulf between starting for a province and starting a test match though. Provincial starts are just a stepping stone.

To be honest, the ship has probably sailed on Carbery being properly prepared for the RWC at this point if called upon in a knockout game and it was always going to be an uphill task with the Jackson situation screwing everything up.

He's still capable of delivering some big moments though and will hopefully manage things if and when the time comes.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,343 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

As per my post, which you forgot to quote the rest of it, if you play Carberry against Italy then you play him for rest of tournament.

You're stating this as if it's fact when we don't know if it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

If Sexton needs game time prior to France, he can play for Leinster next weekend.

I really hope we won't be having the same conversations to 4 years ago later this year. Sexton is almost certain to be unavailable at some stage during the RWC.

The reason we have this problem is that Sexton is very rarely unavailable to Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

stephen_n wrote: »
    The reason we have this problem is that Sexton is very rarely unavailable to Ireland.

I'm not talking about being injured for weeks. I'm talking about going off injured during games. I think it's reasonable to expect a scenario where we'll need the backup 10 to play in a crunch situation.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,447 ✭✭✭Wegians89

Think there’s a slight chance carbery could drop out of the 23 altogether. Sexton needs to start to get back to his best, and a chance to put carty on the bench. Best game to give carty some minutes.

While it’s a good idea to give carbery as many minutes before the World Cup, you don’t want to be left in a situation where Sexton and carbery are injured and carty/ Byrne have flip all minutes between them

• Registered Users Posts: 11,689 ✭✭✭✭Eod100

Is Ireland team out today? Or tomorrow cause match isn't til Sunday?

• Advertisement

A running theme post rwc 2015 was to have three layers of depth in each position,so developing a third choice at 10 wouldn’t be a bad idea in my opinion. Carberys 60 minutes against Scotland will stand to him way more than if he played 80 against Italy. Id rather he got game time against France/ wales.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

I'm not talking about being injured for weeks. I'm talking about going off injured during games. I think it's reasonable to expect a scenario where we'll need the backup 10 to play in a crunch situation.

We already know Carberry is capeable of closing out games. He’s nowhere near Sexton in his ability to control games but can certainly do a job at international level. What failed us against Argentina was missing both Sexton and Payne at the same time. I think the Scotland game showed that those disconnects can still happen, but that we also seem far better prepared. Even when missing our first choice 10 & 13 at the same time. The overall depth is much stronger now.

Wegians89 wrote: »
    Think there’s a slight chance carbery could drop out of the 23 altogether. Sexton needs to start to get back to his best, and a chance to put carty on the bench. Best game to give carty some minutes.

While it’s a good idea to give carbery as many minutes before the World Cup, you don’t want to be left in a situation where Sexton and carbery are injured and carty/ Byrne have flip all minutes between them

I tend to agree. Ideally i'd like to see Carbery and Carty show that they can take care of Italy.
    But failing that Sexton could start with Carty on the bench. Then give Carbery a start against France.

Wegians89 wrote: »

I've a sneaking suspicion that you're right. I'd expect Connacht to be without him this weekend whether he's in the 23 or as cover. I think his playing of the conditions and pragmatism against the Cheetahs will have made Schmidt sit up.

We'll know very shortly anyway given Connacht will name their 23 in the next hour.

Buer wrote: »
    Actually, in the 2 seasons approaching the RWC, Madigan had 17 starts for Leinster at outhalf. Carbery currently has 13 between last season and this season. He'll probably finish the season with around 18 so similar enough numbers.

There's a gulf between starting for a province and starting a test match though. Provincial starts are just a stepping stone.

To be honest, the ship has probably sailed on Carbery being properly prepared for the RWC at this point if called upon in a knockout game and it was always going to be an uphill task with the Jackson situation screwing everything up.

He's still capable of delivering some big moments though and will hopefully manage things if and when the time comes.

Madigan was not starting in the big games at 10, once it got to Europe and the big game he was in centre or 15

So far Carberry has started at 10 in home and away match's against French and English opposition. Started at 10 against Leinster twice

Without injury will have a Qtr and a semi probably in heneiken at least starting at 10, will also have a semi in Pro14 at 10 and maybe a final

All while hopefully standing beside the Ireland starting 9

Could Madigan say the same before the WC?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,906 ✭✭✭✭whatawaster

Starting Carbery against France might be the plan, and Sexton is starting here because we don't want him to go 4/5 weeks without a game.

Personally, i would go:

Kilcoyne
    Cronin
    Porter

Ryan
    Roux

----O'Mahony----Conan
    O'Brien

Murray
    Carbery

Aki
    Henshaw

--Stockdale
    Larmour
    Earls

Rest the front row and give Carbery and Larmour starts

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,728 ✭✭✭Former Former

I don't see any logic in giving Carty minutes tbh, (unless Joe thinks he could actually overtake Carbery).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭Richie_Rich89

I don't see any logic in giving Carty minutes tbh, (unless Joe thinks he could actually overtake Carbery).

The logic is that if no. 1 or no. 2 pick up an injury, no. 3 isn't coming in cold in a big World Cup match. It's not that difficult to work out.

Madigan was not starting in the big games at 10, once it got to Europe and the big game he was in centre or 15

So far Carberry has started at 10 in home and away match's against French and English opposition. Started at 10 against Leinster twice

Without injury will have a Qtr and a semi probably in heneiken at least starting at 10, will also have a semi in Pro14 at 10 and maybe a final

All while hopefully standing beside the Ireland starting 9

Could Madigan say the same before the WC?

Grand. That doesn't change my point at all though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭d-gal

Marmion starts for connacht with Blade on the bench

No Roux, dillane, carty, farrell or Aki involved.

Farrell and Carty both deserve minutes against Italy. They’ve been outstanding this year, especially Farrell

• Advertisement

d-gal wrote: »
    Marmion starts for connacht with Blade on the bench

No Roux, dillane, carty, farrell or Aki involved.

Farrell and Carty both deserve minutes against Italy. They’ve been outstanding this year, especially Farrell

From what I can see, Blade is the only person to be named in a provincial team from the three sides named thus far so I don't think we can read too much into who hasn't been named in a provincial side at this point.

There are potentially 10 guys not playing provincial rugby or test rugby this weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭d-gal

Buer wrote: »
    From what I can see, Blade is the only person to be named in a provincial team from the three sides named thus far so I don't think we can read too much into who hasn't been named in a provincial side at this point.

There are potentially 10 guys not playing provincial rugby or test rugby this weekend.

True but still hoping Carty and Farrell to get game time. Carty needs it 100% since he now looks like 3rd choice for Ireland. Farrell less likely but on form this season (and last) he deserves a cap

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,728 ✭✭✭Former Former

True but still hoping Carty and Farrell to get game time. Carty needs it 100% since he now looks like 3rd choice for Ireland. Farrell less likely but on form this season (and last) he deserves a cap

Deserving a cap is an odd one because it's a zero sum game. T Farrell playing means two from C Farrell, Henshaw and Aki do not. I'm not sure he's earned that. Likewise Carty has been playing well but every minute he plays is a minute Carbery does not.

The 6 nations is too important for preparation for WC. Carberry needs more time than Carty.

Farrell in reality if not going to replace any of the 4 current centre's in the WC squad

If Joe wants a look at them then a warm up in WC will suffice.

Deserving a cap is an odd one because it's a zero sum game. T Farrell playing means two from C Farrell, Henshaw and Aki do not. I'm not sure he's earned that. Likewise Carty has been playing well but every minute he plays is a minute Carbery does not.

Both henshaw and c Farrell were injury doubts last week, both/ one might still be carrying knocks. Personally don’t think Tom Farrell will be capped but as said before the Italian game is the game to throw people in for their debutes. The idea of dropping henshaw to 15 might also cross Schmidt’s mind leaving 13 a straight shoot out between Farrell’s ( Chris most likely).

20 odd minutes against Italy would be worth so much more to carty than to carbery. Carbery has moved past the likes of Italy, he needs the next level of challenge. Ideally if Sexton had been fit since Christmas or if the Italian game was at a different round in the six nations, you’d have carbery start and carty bench against Italy.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,213 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

The 6 nations is too important for preparation for WC..

The 6 nations is gone at this stage........ finishing anywhere between 2nd and 5th is going to make little difference to us.

if anything, continuing without giving minutes to back ups, AND still playing poorly, will do the opposite of preparation for the RWC.

It might be worth giving Aki a week off. He's played a lot of minutes for both club and country. Also Henshaw might get some time at full back.

Theoretically you could start Henshaw and Chris in the centre and bench Tom.

Though unless we start Larmour or Conway at 15 we'd be light on wing cover.

sydthebeat wrote: »
    The 6 nations is gone at this stage........ finishing anywhere between 2nd and 5th is going to make little difference to us.

if anything, continuing without giving minutes to back ups, AND still playing poorly, will do the opposite of preparation for the RWC.

The 6 nations is the money generator for the IRFU. They pay for a lot of players and also the provinces.

Their is a huge difference in revenue to the IRFU.

They are giving lots of minutes to players....Carberry/Roux etc have all got good time on pitch.

Throwing in random players who won't even make the WC squad is pointless

P.S they had 1 bad game.....

Mr Tickle wrote: »
    It might be worth giving Aki a week off. He's played a lot of minutes for both club and country. Also Henshaw might get some time at full back.

Theoretically you could start Henshaw and Chris in the centre and bench Tom.

Though unless we start Larmour or Conway at 15 we'd be light on wing cover.

T Farrell is not going to be in the WC squad. Why would they bench him?

They have loads of players who will be in WC squad and need time on pitch.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,536 ✭✭✭case885

Shefwedfan wrote:
    Their is a huge difference in revenue to the IRFU.

What's the difference out of interest?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement