Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland Team Talk X: The Long Hard Road to a Semi. MOD WARNING POSTS #1, #1474, #5707

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,193 ✭✭✭✭Buer

I doubt Porter sees it that way tbh.

I'm sure he doesn't. But I wouldn't think it changes the overall situation drastically i.e. Furlong is undisputed first choice and then there's not much between Ryan and Porter depending on form and what role needs to be filled.

I would think Porter still has a very solid chance of featuring again during this tournament if he gets decent back to back games for Leinster over the next 12 days.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,366 ✭✭✭yerrahbah

Poor Luke Fitz will be devastated that Ian Madigan isn't included :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 732 ✭✭✭penybont exile

IMO ... Only Wales can stop England winning the title.

Going to take a GS to do it ... Pretty much evident post round 1.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,340 ✭✭✭Dave_The_Sheep

I can live with England winning the title, but I'd really not like to see them get a Grand Slam.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,671 ✭✭✭Jump_In_Jack

IMO ... Only Wales can stop England winning the title.

Going to take a GS to do it ... Pretty much evident post round 1.

If Wales beat England , Ireland could beat Wales on the last day to prevent their slam perhaps.
    Ireland would need a lot of bonus points and for England and Wales to underperform to have a chance of winning it now though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,689 ✭✭✭✭Eod100

Interesting bit here from the42.ie's interview with SOB. An unofficial 60 cap policy? :p Think it's really expressing hope, same as other players going abroad. They're not going to rule themselves out.

''His Leinster days will be over later this year, but O’Brien hopes his move abroad won’t mean the end of his time as an Ireland player.

Even if recent history with Simon Zebo, Donnacha Ryan and Ian Madigan demonstrates that departing these shores means an end to a player’s time in the green shirt, O’Brien won’t give up hope of representing his country.

“If I’m fit and well and I think I can add value to this group, even after I leave Leinster, I’d hope to be selected,” said O’Brien.

“That’s so long away and it’s probably a decision that the coaches and whoever is in charge at the time will have to make, but there’s always hope there, I think, that regardless of where you are, you’re still in with a shout if you’re playing well enough.”

Andy Farrell will be the Ireland head coach by that stage, having succeeded Joe Schmidt, and it will be fascinating to note if O’Brien has any part to play after departing for the Premiership-bound London Irish.''

https://www.the42.ie/sean-obrien-leinster-london-irish-4501682-Feb2019/?utm_source=shortlink

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Backs (16):

Keith Earls (Young Munster/Munster) 74
    Rob Kearney (UCD/Leinster/) 88
    Jordan Larmour (St. Mary’s College/Leinster) 11
    Jacob Stockdale (Lurgan/Ulster) 16
    Adam Byrne (UCD/Leinster) 1
    Andrew Conway (Garryowen/Munster) 10

Bundee Aki (Galwegians/Connacht) 14
    Chris Farrell (Young Munster/Munster) 4
    Tom Farrell (Coolmine/Connacht) *
    Robbie Henshaw (Buccaneers/Leinster) 37

Joey Carbery (Clontarf/Munster) 18
    Jack Carty (Buccaneers/Connacht) *
    Jonathan Sexton (St. Mary’s College/Leinster) (vice-capt) 80

Caolin Blade (Galwegians/Connacht) *
    John Cooney (Terenure College/Ulster) 6
    Conor Murray (Garryowen/Munster) 69

Forwards (18):

Rory Best (Banbridge/Ulster) (capt) 115
    Sean Cronin (St. Mary’s College/Leinster) 67
    Niall Scannell (Dolphin/Munster) 11

Cian Healy (Clontarf/Leinster) 86
    Dave Kilcoyne (UL Bohemians/Munster) 26
    Jack McGrath (St. Mary’s College/Leinster) 53

Tadhg Furlong (Clontarf/Leinster) 30
    John Ryan (Cork Constitution/Munster) 16

Tadhg Beirne (Lansdowne/Munster) 4
    Ultan Dillane (Corinthians/Connacht) 12
    Iain Henderson (Queen’s University/Ulster) 42 - pending citing hearing
    Quinn Roux (Galwegians/Connacht) 10
    James Ryan (UCD/Leinster) 15

Jack Conan (Old Belvedere/Leinster) 12
    Jordi Murphy (Lansdowne/Ulster) 26
    Sean O’Brien (UCD/Leinster) 54
    Peter O’Mahony (Cork Constitution/Munster) (vice-capt) 54
    Josh van der Flier (UCD/Leinster) 15

• Registered Users Posts: 4,011 ✭✭✭joseywhales

Eod100 wrote: »
    Interesting bit here from the42.ie's interview with SOB. An unofficial 60 cap policy? :p Think it's really expressing hope, same as other players going abroad. They're not going to rule themselves out.

''His Leinster days will be over later this year, but O’Brien hopes his move abroad won’t mean the end of his time as an Ireland player.

Even if recent history with Simon Zebo, Donnacha Ryan and Ian Madigan demonstrates that departing these shores means an end to a player’s time in the green shirt, O’Brien won’t give up hope of representing his country.

“If I’m fit and well and I think I can add value to this group, even after I leave Leinster, I’d hope to be selected,” said O’Brien.

“That’s so long away and it’s probably a decision that the coaches and whoever is in charge at the time will have to make, but there’s always hope there, I think, that regardless of where you are, you’re still in with a shout if you’re playing well enough.”

Andy Farrell will be the Ireland head coach by that stage, having succeeded Joe Schmidt, and it will be fascinating to note if O’Brien has any part to play after departing for the Premiership-bound London Irish.''

https://www.the42.ie/sean-obrien-leinster-london-irish-4501682-Feb2019/?utm_source=shortlink

The glimmer of hope for him is that his performance level is more in a sexton category than an Ian Madigan category. But he would do well to be regularly fit in the first place. He could sneak a lions spot if he is still able to walk.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,100 ✭✭✭KBurke85

The glimmer of hope for him is that his performance level is more in a sexton category than an Ian Madigan category. But he would do well to be regularly fit in the first place. He could sneak a lions spot if he is still able to walk.

Not if Gatland gets the job again

• Registered Users Posts: 534 ✭✭✭jonok28

I think with the depth Ireland have they won't allow SOB to be an option unless he is playing at an World Class level, they definitely do not want to set a precedent for players going abroad and being allowed to play. I think the IRFU made a calculated risk in allowing SOB to leave knowing his best years are probably behind him.

• Advertisement

KBurke85 wrote: »
    Not if Gatland gets the job again

Funnily enough, I actually think Gatland puts the team above his own personal vendettas etc, I think he would pick a player based on performance even if he personally disagreed with or even disliked them (I actually think he likes sob despite sobs criticism of the last campaign)

Unless they are disruptive to the team.

I have a lot of respect for Gatland.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 649 ✭✭✭Southdubin6

Funnily enough, I actually think Gatland puts the team above his own personal vendettas etc, I think he would pick a player based on performance even if he personally disagreed with or even disliked them (I actually think he likes sob despite sobs criticism of the last campaign)

Unless they are disruptive to the team.

I have a lot of respect for Gatland.

Sorry stopped reading at- Above personal vendettas.

O Driscoll,Disagreement, 2013, Jonathan Davies.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,947 ✭✭✭leakyboots

Surprised Adam Byrne got the call, he is in good form I suppose. Some of the Ulster boys or Mike Haley have been more impressive over the season I'd have thought.

Wonder how fit are Chris Farrell and Beirne and will they get gametime

• Administrators Posts: 53,506 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

leakyboots wrote: »
    Surprised Adam Byrne got the call, he is in good form I suppose. Some of the Ulster boys or Mike Haley have been more impressive over the season I'd have thought.

We have Kearney, Henshaw, Larmour and Conway to cover fullback.

Byrne is a winger and there are no other wingers available for selection really.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,193 ✭✭✭✭Buer

Gatland had a personal vendetta against BOD?

Buer wrote: »
    Gatland had a personal vendetta against BOD?

He questioned his preparations 2 days later he was on the line.

It could be argued that at that time Jonathan davies was a better option, what was the disagreement and why do you believe that it was due to a disagreement rather than team performance?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,240 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

leakyboots wrote: »

Box kick reclaims. He is excellent at that facet

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,343 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

I'd have picked Drico as well but where's this suggestion coming from that it was a vendetta, as opposed to just a selection decision?? It's not as if Davies has turned out to be sh*t in the interim! In fact, wasn't he player of the Series in 2017?

aloooof wrote: »
    I'd have picked Drico as well but where's this suggestion coming from that it was a vendetta, as opposed to just a selection decision?? It's not as if Davies has turned out to be sh*t in the interim! In fact, wasn't he player of the Series in 2017?

I was on the tour , drico had sat out a session due a disagreement on the 28th may they played the Babas on 1st he was dropped there was no suggestion BOD would be dropped in the lead up. It was out of center field.

• Advertisement

2017? I'm talking about 2013

• Registered Users Posts: 6,199 ✭✭✭troyzer

To be fair to Adam Byrne, he's a ****ing unit who's great in the air and a serious carrier.

The only thing ever stopping him from making a run at a starting Jersey for Leinster and Ireland was his poor decision making at time, his aversion to contact and his questionable defense.

He's improved noticably in all of these areas so far this year. I think it's a year too late for this world cup but I think he has a good chance of contesting for the 14 jersey for Ireland and Leinster after the world cup.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,343 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

I was on the tour , drico had sat out a session due a disagreement on the 28th may they played the Babas on 1st he was dropped there was no suggestion BOD would be dropped in the lead up. It was out of center field.

In which case, why did Gatland pick him for the 1st and 2nd Tests after this incident? If it really was a vendetta, surely he wouldn't have picked him at all?
    2017? I'm talking about 2013

I know. See "in the interim" part of my quote. You're making out like there was an enormous gulf between them. The interim has proved any gulf isn't near enough to start calling it a "vendetta". It was a selection decision.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,531 ✭✭✭arsebiscuits1

Eod100 wrote: »

Whatever about the quality of SOB to warrant inclusion, I'd be of the opinion he should be phased out of Test Rugby a la Bowe and Trimble after the RWC regardless of who he is playing for.

Post RWC he will be almost 33 and there is several players below him who are up to Test match standard.

Best to blood those fellas as early as possible in the next World Cup cycle so they've 4 years of high level rugby ahead of 2023.

There is no realistic way SOB makes it to 2023 world cup.

In which case, why did Gatland pick him for the 1st and 2nd Tests after this incident? If it really was a vendetta, surely he wouldn't have picked him at all?

I know. See "in the interim" part of my quote. You're making out like there was an enormous gulf between them. The interim has proved any gulf isn't near enough to start calling it a "vendetta". It was a selection decision.

He was dropped for the final test after a considerably successful run from BOD

• Subscribers Posts: 41,213 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

and all gatland has to do is to point to the result of the game to vindicate that selection decision.

vendetta is a ridiculous accusation

anyway, bod wasnt dropped for davies, he was dropped for Roberts

• Registered Users Posts: 8,299 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

I'm disappointed that Moore didn't get a call up. Not really surprised about Porter. He needs to start games.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

Dubinusa wrote: »
    I'm disappointed that Moore didn't get a call up. Not really surprised about Porter. He needs to start games.

I would like to see Moore get a run at it, he has been played great for Ulster

• Registered Users Posts: 1,366 ✭✭✭yerrahbah

Henderson clear to play.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,689 ✭✭✭✭Eod100

yerrahbah wrote: »
    Henderson clear to play.

Common sense prevailed. https://twitter.com/CianTracey1/status/1097912696819851267?s=19

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement