Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland Team Talk X: The Long Hard Road to a Semi. MOD WARNING POSTS #1, #1474, #5707

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 649 ✭✭✭Southdubin6

Swapping no. Buying and selling yes. It will open around May i believe

Is there anyway of knowing for sure the dates I just don't wanna miss out as I'm not there for the dates I have. Wanna be sure I've match tickets

Zzippy wrote: »
    Was an updated squad announced? The original squad was for the first 2 games but I haven't seen an announcement on changes, save on the news about Beirne and Farrell being with the squad.

Press conference tomorrow possibly will discuss inclusions but usually just additions are added and sent back to province as the week rolls on.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,588 ✭✭✭Awesomeness

Is there anyway of knowing for sure the dates I just don't wanna miss out as I'm not there for the dates I have. Wanna be sure I've match tickets

Official Resale Service

Rugby World Cup Japan 2019 will provide the official resale service closer to the tournament time. The service will be the opportunity for those who can no longer attend the match due to various personal reasons. Please be reminded that this is the only official resale service, and tickets NOT purchased via an official RWC 2019 website will be refused entry to the match.

Official Ticket Resale Service
    Period: Scheduled to be available in May 2019
    Tickets: Individual match tickets
    - Must be posted for resale by the ticket holder (the person who initially purchased the tickets).
    - Bundled tickets (Team Pack, Stadium Pack) and Premium Seat tickets are not applicable,
    * When the ticket(s) is resold, the total ticket price less 2% charges will be refunded to the original ticket holder.
    * Further details are scheduled to be announced in March 2019.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,199 ✭✭✭troyzer

troyzer wrote: »
    There's no way in hell that Connacht O'Brien gets a senior call up to a Six Nations game despite having never even been in camp to the best of my knowledge? Barry Daly as well. For **** sake.

Ah here. Was it not very, very, very, very obvious that he's having a laugh?

No, look who posted it.

I'm pretty sure I saw him starting Eoin Reddan in one of the Leinster European games.

Official Resale Service

Rugby World Cup Japan 2019 will provide the official resale service closer to the tournament time. The service will be the opportunity for those who can no longer attend the match due to various personal reasons. Please be reminded that this is the only official resale service, and tickets NOT purchased via an official RWC 2019 website will be refused entry to the match.

Official Ticket Resale Service
    Period: Scheduled to be available in May 2019
    Tickets: Individual match tickets
    - Must be posted for resale by the ticket holder (the person who initially purchased the tickets).
    - Bundled tickets (Team Pack, Stadium Pack) and Premium Seat tickets are not applicable,
    * When the ticket(s) is resold, the total ticket price less 2% charges will be refunded to the original ticket holder.
    * Further details are scheduled to be announced in March 2019.

Thank you will try stay on top of it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,197 ✭✭✭✭Buer

No, look who posted it.

:confused:

Exactly FF's point, I would imagine.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,695 ✭✭✭✭Eod100

Zzippy wrote: »
    Was an updated squad announced? The original squad was for the first 2 games but I haven't seen an announcement on changes, save on the news about Beirne and Farrell being with the squad.

Update due this afternoon according to RTE.

Guess Henderson's hearing result should be out this afternoon/evening too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,728 ✭✭✭Former Former

Buer wrote: »

Pretty much, yeah.

Pretty much, yeah.

You reckon? I take him at face value. I just think he's mad.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,290 ✭✭✭MarinersBlues

Sorry guys.
    Connacht's SOB is out injured at the moment, it will have to be one of our academy lads instead.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,486 ✭✭✭✭Exclamation Marc

Have a feeling Schmidt is damned if he does and damned if he doesn't against Italy unless Ireland obliterate France in three weeks.

Play a more experimental team against Italy, struggle against France and people will argue he left the first team undercooked and that they needed more time together or to time to improve.

Play an experienced team against Italy, struggle or easily beat France and people will argue that he should have been more experimental against Italy.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,759 ✭✭✭P.Walnuts

You reckon? I take him at face value. I just think he's mad.

No no, he's trying to wind people up, at least enough to get an outraged response and thanks to you he has succeeded

I believe there will be a lot less experimentation than some are hoping for. I don't think we should be taking the Welsh selection as any indication as to how we'll approach this. We've already had some injury enforced changes during this tournament so I don't think we're going to be racing to introduce a raft of further changes at this point in time.

I would say 4-5 changes with some of those made due to new injuries/players returning from injury.

I'd guess at something along the lines of:

RK, Earls, Henshaw, Aki, Stockdale, Carbery, Murray, Conan, SOB, POM, Ryan, AN Other, Ryan, Best, Kilcoyne.

Have a feeling Schmidt is damned if he does and damned if he doesn't against Italy unless Ireland obliterate France in three weeks.

Play a more experimental team against Italy, struggle against France and people will argue he left the first team undercooked and that they needed more time together or to time to improve.

Play an experienced team against Italy, struggle or easily beat France and people will argue that he should have been more experimental against Italy.

Think that was always going to be the way after England game unless we played out of our skin against Scotland which we didn't.

Reading Gerry Thornley today saying Ireland fans should be shouting for Wales win to have any chance of winning Championship. Think even with that mathematically it's past us. Even assuming England lose and without a lbp, they're on 10. A tbp vs Italy will put them to 15, a win vs Scotland will put them on 19.

If Ireland beat Italy with a tbp they will be on 9. There's a chance of getting a tbp vs France, don't think there's a huge chance against Wales but say we did it would be max of 19 points. Even with all that we would be behind England on points difference.

Obviously England win rules it out altogether but think Wales win might not be enough either.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,354 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

I believe there will be a lot less experimentation than some are hoping for. I don't think we should be taking the Welsh selection as any indication as to how we'll approach this. We've already had some injury enforced changes during this tournament so I don't think we're going to be racing to introduce a raft of further changes at this point in time.

I would say 4-5 changes with some of those made due to new injuries/players returning from injury.

I'd guess at something along the lines of:

RK, Earls, Henshaw, Aki, Stockdale, Carbery, Murray, Conan, SOB, POM, Ryan, AN Other, Ryan, Best, Kilcoyne.

I'd hope for at least a change to one of the wingers as well, tbh.

Looking as objectively as possible at the Henderson incident - I'm not really sure what the outcome will be.

The players hand touched the ground before his head did - but the hold Henderson had him in made it difficult to stop himself effectively being pile driven into the turf.

I wouldn't be surprised with no ban - I also wouldn't be surprised with 4 weeks reduced to three.

If he misses Italy fair enough - but we'll want that grunt and athleticism before France show up.

Parisse out. Big loss for Italy. Seems to be some amount of injuries this 6N.

https://twitter.com/PlanetRugby/status/1097839313369346048

• Registered Users Posts: 21,614 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

Eod100 wrote: »
    Parisse out. Big loss for Italy. Seems to be some amount of injuries this 6N.

https://twitter.com/PlanetRugby/status/1097839313369346048

Huge blow for Italy, he was injured for a couple of their autumn internationals also. Although with his age and it being a world cup year it's probably not a bad thing for them to get some rotation in as they rely on him pretty heavily.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,303 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

Ruddock is awfully unlucky with injury!
    Seems to get injured at the worst possible time.
    Thus far, it's been a strange tourney for us.
    Our injuries may end up being a godsend as our depth is being tested. Dillane and Roux are getting a look at and I think nobody expected that 3 months ago.
    Who thought Murray would be playing so poorly? Or SOB would feature twice in consecutive matches!
    Stander is down hurt and we get a glimpse of Conan.
    A lot has transpired and questions will still be asked?
    Who is RK's back up? Is Cooney a viable back up?
    Is Henshaw a fb option? Can Jack McGrath return to form?
    At this point, I think our squad is not settled. This upcoming match would be a good chance to change things up. But, with Murray off the boil and Sexton having little match time since Dec. would changing things up be worthwhile?
    I think that Marty Moore deserves a look too! It would be good to see him back in green and he's a good option.
    The squad will be announced soon and I think it will be bizarre not to see Toner or Leavy amongst the names.
    I fully expect us to win the next 2 matches and if Biggar is out, I think we will win in Cardiff. So, we would finish 2nd? Depending on England's run in. 2nd is not a bad look, considering the injuries and the loss of form of some lads.

Squad officially updated:
    https://www.irishrugby.ie/2019/02/19/ireland-squad-update-for-italy-week/

As far as I can tell, Porter is the only omission that is not injury related, which is an odd one.

• Advertisement

As far as I can tell, Porter is the only omission that is not injury related, which is an odd one.

It's not odd really. I said in the Leinster thread that he has noticably struggled in the scrum over the last few weeks. Schmidt wants a look at Ryan.

Marmion too

Not sure Parisse is any loss for them at this point really outside of being an iconic presence within the team. The spirit is willing but the flesh is weak. He still tries to take things on and influence the game like he did 7 or 8 years ago with minimal return. He's 36 this side of the RWC and looks every year of it at this point.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,486 ✭✭✭✭Exclamation Marc

Not sure Parisse is any loss for them at this point really outside of being an iconic presence within the team. The spirit is willing but the flesh is weak. He still tries to take things on and influence the game like he did 7 or 8 years ago with minimal return. He's 36 this side of the RWC and looks every year of it at this point.

Agreed. During the Wales game it was noticeable how he was trying to do everything including competing for high balls when an Italian back was right under it. If anything, he's hampering the development of a number 8 because he is noticeably in decline.

Wouldn't read a huge amount into the Porter situation. I'd imagine the idea is that he will be far better off with Leinster for the next fortnight and get some proper work in to improve and I'd expect him to be back in the Irish wider squad after that. Whether he reclaims his spot in the 23 is another question. Given he was brought on against England (17-13) and Scotland (19-13) when the games were completely in the balance, he's obviously rated.

It wasn't just his scrummaging that was off the mark at the weekend though. He falls asleep defensively too and that was the case against Wasps before the 6N also. A kick up the arse could be good for him. This time last year he returned to Leinster and completely phoned it in during the Pro14 matches for the last 2 months of the season which was reflected in his minimal use in Australia.

I think fitness/conditioning could be an issue also. I wouldn't really put that on him either. It's hard for a prop forward to be up to the pace of test match rugby when they've only ever started 13 matches in their career and rarely get a chance to play more than 25 minutes. If Tadhg Furlong was injured tomorrow, you'd have to say John Ryan is the right call to start.

Marmion too

Was never in the squad to begin with afaik.

Was never in the squad to begin with afaik.

Ah think you're right actually

Wouldn't read a huge amount into the Porter situation.

I doubt Porter sees it that way tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,100 ✭✭✭KBurke85

Ah think you're right actually

Marmion said after the game at the weekend he would be with Connacht this week and then seeing how he goes this week he might get in for the last two games.

• Advertisement

KBurke85 wrote: »
    Marmion said after the game at the weekend he would be with Connacht this week and then seeing how he goes this week he might get in for the last two games.

Ah cheers. Wonder will Cooney get at least a 20 min appearance so assuming Murray is starting?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement