Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Netflix Recommendations Thread 3.0

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,678 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

Great action flick, loved the no cut scene early on, like Daredevil - action throughout, this was a cinema worthy film

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,078 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

Just finished the third episode of the latest Black Mirror (astronauts), which I thought was disappointing - it was overlong without really going anywhere. The first 2 episodes were ok, but unremarkable. Probably the best thing across all 3 episodes was the Scottish barman character in the second one.

Having looked over the list of previous season episodes, I think I'm probably done with the show overall. The last season already had a feeling of dulling the edge that made the best episodes so good; that feels more pronounced in the three episodes I watched.

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭spuddy90

I thought episode 3 with the two astronauts was the best of a bad season of black mirror.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,635 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

I thought they were all pretty good. My favourite was the actress, was not expecting that. Loved the 70’s feel to the whole series too.

I've watched three episodes now. First two are brilliant for me.

Third one had some moments but didn't like it overall.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,363 ✭✭✭Man Vs ManUre

This new season of black mirror was pretty poor. Episode 3 was good, 2 was ok, 1, 4 and 5 just watchable. Seems they just ran out of ideas.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,373 ✭✭✭robwen

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,574 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Heart Of Stone is on Netflix from 11th of August

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,787 ✭✭✭✭Charlie19

Just watched the first episode of Cunk on Earth. 2022. It's a mockumentary in the style of Ali G.

Not sure how I've never heard of this but its going to be brilliant. 5 episodes in total and Charlie Brooker is one of the writers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,383 ✭✭✭S.M.B.

• Advertisement

Brilliant.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,078 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

She was one of the characters in Brooker's Weekly Wipe series and has appeared in a couple of other shows. Cunk on Britain is the most recent (before Cunk on Earth, that is) and is also worth a look; if you've got access to BBC iPlayer they also have Cunk on Shakespeare up at the monent.

I only know her from Motherland and Afterlife and she's very funny in both.

I must check my iptv for the Cunk on Britain.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,114 ✭✭✭The Continental Op

Ah yes, "The Harry Pothead channel on Youtube", definitely a legitimate and reliable distribution avenue ;)

(I tend to avoid pointing people at dodgy re-ups on Youtube if I know of a legitimate source instead, not least because any profit and recognition of relevant streaming/viewing numbers goes to the production company and creators who made the product, rather than some rando who uploaded stuff on YT. Different story for material that is otherwise unavailable, mind you...)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,318 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,363 ✭✭✭Man Vs ManUre

I couldn’t even finish the last episode of black mirror, it was that bad. Overall very poor series, episode 3 was good, 1, 2, 4 watchable but 5 terrible.

Finished the series the other day. Really liked one and two but overall the other three episodes didn't do it for me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,308 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Started watching Kipo and the Age of Wonderbeasts and enjoying it, 6 episodes in.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,931 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

I watched that as it was being released, really enjoyed it. It gets surprisingly dark at times, and has a really odd sense of humour, but so do I so I loved it. Great soundtrack too.

• Advertisement

Yeah didn't realise it would have the musical numbers in it. And if that's Karen Fukuhara really singing she's really good. Kipo's also a wee bit different from her role in The Boys. 😃

• Registered Users Posts: 925 ✭✭✭rekluse

Have heard a lot of good things about 'fauda' , but I see it hasn't been renewed for a 5th season. Is it wrapped up by end of season 4? Don't want to watch 4 seasons of something if it doesn't have some kind of definitive ending.

Anyone else's "Continue Watching" playing up lately?

Last week I finished Extraction 2 multiple times as well as manually removing it from the row and it kept showing up. It finally went at the weekend. Now I logged in and see 4 things I've already finished have appeared back in the row. Luckily they didn't lose where I was in Kipo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,259 ✭✭✭jj880

Fine for me...

Time to change your pw maybe?

All good now. They all went away by themselves now.

Just a glitch it seems

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 55 ✭✭ketchupmessi63

I was avoiding GLOW thinking it'll be yet another 80s inspired show that people have to like, but after binging the first two seasons in the last 3-4 days, I realized my mistake... It's not the best show ever, but it's very good - plenty of likeable characters in relatable situations - so I'm definitely recommending it if you haven't seen it

You do know it was cancelled without a proper ending? Just something to keep in mind for anyone thinking about starting it.

Yeah gutted they didn't get to finish season 4, it was renewed then cancelled during covid I think? They had shot two episodes and scripts were done :(

Yeah, it was one of a handful of shows that were cancelled, despite being renewed, once Covid shut things down. Particularly rough when they were already filming it. Feels a bit like that was the start of this current environment of things being axed left, right, and centre, even at the point of post production.

Speaking of.... anyone heard any updates on the final season of Snowpiercer? I had assumed Netflix would still air it given they had the other seasons globally, but it feels like another one that will never see the light of day.

• Advertisement

Yeah I think so, they seem to be extremely ruthless these days, surprised Lockwood & co didn't get a second season.

Not looking good for Snowpiercer season 4 alright!

Unlike the other services Netflix haven't removed any of their shows, apart from the Marvel ones. Or did they remove others?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Problem is, Snowpiercer is another victim of the whole tax write off idea of canning a filmed entity then vaulting it for the taxback. So I don't think we'll ever see it, given its now officially a write off. Which is just a crying shame, if not a disgrace.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 60,512 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gremlinertia

Ah fcuk I'd enjoyed Snowpiercer immensely even the flaws were endearing tbh.

Speaking of things we've ignored, just started Hannibal, it's a bit on the nose at times but three episodes in I'm enjoying it..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,144 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

Thanks. I've had it on my list for ages but hadn't got around to it.

No, I don't think they've taken off anything that they actually made themselves.

I never watched it but I was just reading about a show Paramount had on their service, Grease - Rise of the Pink Ladies, and they cancelled it just before the last episode of S1 was released, and then announced they would be removing it from their service like a week later. But they won't sell it to anyone else, even just for streaming the one season that exists. So nobody can ever watch it now. It's such a weird time for the whole industry right now.

I wonder if the writers strike will end up with the studios agreeing to some kind of deal for streaming revenues, but then just take this path of removing things entirely from existence so they never have to actually pay anyone residuals?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

I wonder if the writers strike will end up with the studios agreeing to some kind of deal for streaming revenues, but then just take this path of removing things entirely from existence so they never have to actually pay anyone residuals?

You'd have to speculate the unions will make sure heavy caveats and payouts will be due if a show is conventionally dropped into the digital Memory Hole; otherwise as you say, we'll just seen an increase in streamers deleting their shows and films.

God damn this thread though for reminding me we'll never get Snowpiercer season 4; a season that exists, somewher, fully filmed and ready.

Post edited by pixelburp on

I would hope the unions would be making sure this doesn't happen. If not the writers then maybe the directors or artists who are also expected to go on strike. Like the ones involved with the likes of Pink Ladies and Willow have voiced their anger and disappointment. Not to mention what happened with Batgirl.

Anyway, with regard recommendations, finished Kipo last night. Nice, fun, enjoyable, mostly feel good series.

Have you watched the SheRa series from a few years ago? It's a bit similar to Kipo in that it's fun, has a good overall story arc, deals with some darker themes, but in a light-ish kind of way. No singing though. I think it's what actually led me onto Kipo.

Centaurworld is another weird one. It gets very dark at times, but has some really great songs in it. It's pretty short too.

Yeah, I watched and liked She-Ra as it aired. Any Netflix animated shows I've watched I've enjoyed like Troll hunters, both He-Man series and the video game adaptations. Then the movies like the excellent Mitchells vs the Machines.

My Father's Dragon is very good too. As is The Sea Beast.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 55 ✭✭ketchupmessi63

Didn't know that, haven't made it to the end yet... Too bad that's how things are, this is why we can't have nice things...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,439 ✭✭✭Homelander

I've watched 4 out of the 5 Black Mirror episodes and to be honest I think it's 4 for 4 as it stands.

Sure, people will enjoy them to different degrees and for different reasons, and the opposite too. Personally I do think they vary in quality, but they all lean to various sides of the 'good' end of the scale.

Thought 1 was great, 2 was great, 3 was fairly good, 4 less so but undeniably very entertaining and nothing close to actually being 'bad'. Overall, even if I end up despising the last episode, it's been a good season with good variety.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,645 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

Thanks Peteed for your contributions, perhaps we will see you on the Aphex Twin thread, got my Field Day ticket woo hoo.

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

FYI all, I believe this is our today for anyone curious or liking the trailer(s)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭Caquas

I'm surprised by how much I enjoyed Arnold, the Schwarzenegger documentary.

His lifestory is extraordinary with incredible success at each stage but then he destroyed his family life by having an affair with the housekeeper. He is very much in control of the narrative so the documentary is wholly uncritical but it is entertaining and he is trying to make sense of his life on his own terms.

He doesn't say so but I'm sure he believes he could be President of the USA if the Constitution didn't limit the job to "natural born citizens". He is obviously a better choice than Trump and in far better shape than Biden, mentally and physically.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,793 ✭✭✭FunLover18

Nimona is a really good animated film, a great mix of animation styles and the story itself is a blend of medieval and sci-fi, the world actually reminded me of Hilda a bit but more sci-fi.

Just finished Nimona as well and really enjoyed it. Was a fun 90 or so minutes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,635 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

Season 3 of The Detectorists is now available. Managed to catch it on the tellybox recently. Quality.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,259 ✭✭✭jj880

• Advertisement
Advertisement