Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Netflix Recommendations Thread 3.0

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,090 ✭✭✭The Raging Bile Duct

Irish Aris wrote: »
    Rocketman is such a fantastic film!! I was really impressed by Taron Edgerton's performance.
    Entertainment sorted for tonight!!

A couple of alright set-pieces in it but I thought it was pretty dull film overall. Better than that Bohemian Rhapsody muck though.

Fysh wrote: »
    I'd prefer a "Random choice from my list" to "literally anything on Netflix" because despite being quite picky about what I watch on each profile, and providing ratings on things I like/dislike, the Netflix recommendation system still offers me films and shows that I have no interest in - if they are Netflix "Originals". (The other one they keep trying to push - "People In Your Region Currently Like" - can also die in a fire).

Easiest job in the world the data science/ recommendation algorithm job at Netflix.

If (newNetflixOriginal == true)
    recommend()

Good pay too.

Anybody watch Things Seen & Heard? Any good?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,838 ✭✭✭✭McDermotX

Dreadful.

As expected. If there's one thing you can count on Netflix for, film-wise, is a dreadful night's entertainment.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,054 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

peteeeed wrote: »
    Katherine Ryan's 'The Duchess' cancelled by Netflix

No harm, it was cringe worthy

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,277 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

The Mitchell's versus the Machines

Is an absolute gem!
    Really enjoyed it cracking family film.
    Same producers as spider-verse, not quite as amazing as that film but close

• Registered Users Posts: 18,582 ✭✭✭✭The Princess Bride

Unauthorized Living.

A 2 season Spanish series: a diagnosis of Alzheimer's disease spurs a millionaire to make plans which unsettle his loved ones.
    Jeez it's so bad it's good, I can't seem to stop watching it.

Harlan Coben's The Innocent starts this weekend, should be worthwhile.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,167 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

gmisk wrote: »

Is an absolute gem!

Watched it this evening, it's brilliant alright, great fun.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,949 ✭✭✭garra

1 episode into Giri / Haji and have to admit, like nearly everything else the Beeb do, it's of a higher quality and more to my taste than most US-produced fare.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,362 ✭✭✭S.M.B.

Is an absolute gem!
    Spiderverse is possibly my favourite movie of recent times and as you said, this does come close to matching it.

Lord & Miller have had a hand in some really fantastic movies over the past 10 years.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,023 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

garra wrote: »
    1 episode into Giri / Haji and have to admit, like nearly everything else the Beeb do, it's of a higher quality and more to my taste than most US-produced fare.

Giri/Haji is tremendous show - it would be worth watching for Rodney's character alone, but all of the cast are great.

I ended up watching Flowers afterwards (also written by and starring Will Sharpe), which is more of a character drama slash black comedy. It gets quite heavy along the way, though.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,397 ✭✭✭RocketRaccoon

Just finished "things heard and seen" absolutely awful, terrible sh1te.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,686 ✭✭✭4Ad

garra wrote: »

Really enjoyed it, some parts are a bit silly. Not enough of the Cockney gangster character though, he was great..

• Registered Users Posts: 13,563 ✭✭✭✭peteeeed

School of Rock
    Below Deck: Season 3 and 4
    The Italian Job (2003)
    Premonition
    Tamara Drewe
    Eagle Eye
    Resident Evil: Degeneration
    Resident Evil:Damnation
    The Fourth Kind
    Drag Me to Hell
    Miniforce: Super Dino Power: Season 1
    Ghost Rider
    Red Tails
    Ace Ventura: Pet Detective
    A Long Way Down
    The Adventures of Tintin
    Thirteen Ghosts (Thir13en Ghosts)
    Belly
    Rap superstars DMX and Nas play two hustlers, Tommy and Sincere, who've been trying to move out of the ghetto and get a taste of the good life.

added

• Registered Users Posts: 48,148 ✭✭✭✭km79

I like the sound of Belly !

peteeeed wrote: »
    School of Rock
    Below Deck: Season 3 and 4
    The Italian Job (2003)
    Premonition
    Tamara Drewe
    Eagle Eye
    Resident Evil: Degeneration
    Resident Evil:Damnation
    The Fourth Kind
    Drag Me to Hell
    Miniforce: Super Dino Power: Season 1
    Ghost Rider
    Red Tails
    Ace Ventura: Pet Detective
    A Long Way Down
    The Adventures of Tintin
    Thirteen Ghosts (Thir13en Ghosts)
    Belly
    Rap superstars DMX and Nas play two hustlers, Tommy and Sincere, who've been trying to move out of the ghetto and get a taste of the good life.

added
    School of rock!
    Class :)

• Registered Users Posts: 28,878 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Well a recommendation is definitely The Mitchells vs the Machines. Was fun

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭Sadler Peak

Watching Peep Show. Forgot how good it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,191 ✭✭✭RandomViewer

School of rock!
    Class :)

The TV series from a few years ago was woeful, its like they never watched the film

• Registered Users Posts: 2,728 ✭✭✭Nigzcurran

Mictchells v machines is brilliant for all the family and highly recommended

• Advertisement

Nigzcurran wrote: »
    Mictchells v machines is brilliant for all the family and highly recommended
    Monchi the pug was a highlight among many! Cracking film

• Registered Users Posts: 48,148 ✭✭✭✭km79

km79 wrote: »
    I like the sound of Belly !

Not showing up yet :(

• Registered Users Posts: 3,811 ✭✭✭joe40

Just finished "things heard and seen" absolutely awful, terrible sh1te.

Planning to watch it tonight, but now not so sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,397 ✭✭✭RocketRaccoon

joe40 wrote: »
    Planning to watch it tonight, but now not so sure.

Save yourself and choose something else.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,953 ✭✭✭✭Tom Mann Centuria

Rewatched Stardust, good fun and an easy watch, similar feel to (though not as good as) The Princess Bride.

Oh well, give me an easy life and a peaceful death.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,878 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Monchi the pug was a highlight among many! Cracking film

But was he a pig, dog or loaf?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,050 ✭✭✭joeguevara

It is really top class. It’s one of my go to series and have rewatched it countless times. The supporting cast are top class too with Super Hans (for years thought it was Hands until his two German twins (funf plus zwei) were referenced and appeared at his wedding. Apparently the character is based on Danny in Whithnail and I. Johnson was one of my favourite characters and his bizarre management speak and ultra confidence cracked me up. Dobby was perfect for Mark until she figured out that he was, well he was Mark. Loved Nancy and her apparent innocence mixed up with degenerate hedonism. Jeff was as abhorrent as he was comedy genius. Notable mention to the racist army recreation enthusiast. Never liked Sophie as a character but the scene where she was walking down the stairs, dressed as a medieval maid of honour with a large dunces hat with flowing lace had me in bits. Tried to watch their subsequent sketch show and although some funny bits was a huge letdown.

David Mitchell is very funny on panel shows but Webb doing advertisements for insurance, or playing a moronic lecturer in Fresh Meat must be such a kick to the gut. The series where they reunited as alleged brothers who inherit a pub after their Father died was funny enough. Think it was called Back.

Apologies, know that this is a recommendations thread so I think if you liked that then Toast of London could be a good thing to watch. Matt Berry is one of the funniest actors in British comedy and he is amazing as an eccentric actor.

I love Blackbooks as well and think it’s one of the most under rated comedies. Dylan Moran and Bill Bailey just rock. Spaced was added recently and loved rewatching it and forgot how funny it was. Friday Night Dinner is the one that shocked me most at how much I loved it. Watched one episode and thought it was shocking. Someone said give it another go and literally is did gold the whole way through. Mark Heap who was in Soaced and Green Wing is comedy gold and equally Paul Ritter who plays the deaf, bizarre, strange Dad just keeps knocking it out of the park with his one liners.

IT crowd is nearly as good as Father Ted and watch it over and over. Unfortunately it may have been the project that ended Graham linehans career. But every episode equals the previous for howling laughter.

My final recommendation is Uncle (could also recommend cuckoo and Alan Partridge). I happened to stumble on it oblivious to how good it is. Nick Helm is just hilarious and the supporting cast add to the show. Honourable mention to Val as the transvestite father of Nick Helms ex girlfriend. The bonus is that nearly in every episode is an original song that could get a number 1 if the charts were decent.

Finally, watched Dinner with Friends last night, a holiday thanksgiving dinner turns into carnage due to the guest crashes. I actually saw the ratings of the Annie McDowell film of the same name and was wondering if I just wasn’t getting how it could be. 5 star rated film. It was woeful and each character must have been competing to trump the least funny joke ever. The real review thankfully agreed. The actors usually are very funny but not here.

PS modern family and always sunny are just amazing and deserve a category of their own.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,342 ✭✭✭Zak Flaps

Superb show. Brilliant writing + cast.

CastorTroy wrote: »
    But was he a pig, dog or loaf?
    I think the robots settled on loaf of bread and who am I to argue!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,563 ✭✭✭✭peteeeed

Colony season 3
    When LA is invaded by outside forces and becomes a walled-in settlement, a former FBI agent and his wife risk everything to find their lost son.

added

Advertisement