Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Netflix Recommendations Thread 3.0

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,196 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

Good article here about Randall Emmett (who partially inspired the character Turtle in Entorage) that goes some way to explaining why Willis keeps ending up appearing in rubbish lately: https://www.vulture.com/article/randall-emmett-movies.html

On topic - I'm rather enjoying the Worricker trilogy on Netflix atm. Starring Bill Nighy as a more real-world MI5 agent and a veritable who's who of British character actors with a few big names too (Rachel Weiss, Michael Gambon
    Ralph Fiennes, Winona Ryder, Christopher Walken, Helena Bonham Carter, Ewen Bremner. Haven't seen the last one yet as Mrs Sleepy isn't a fan but these are real Sunday Afternoon BBC fare and Nighy is as watchable as always.

Page Eight (2011)
    Turks & Caicos (2014)
    and Salting the Battlefield (2014)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,008 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

Sleepy wrote: »
    Good article here about Randall Emmett (who partially inspired the character Turtle in Entorage) that goes some way to explaining why Willis keeps ending up appearing in rubbish lately: https://www.vulture.com/article/randall-emmett-movies.html

On topic - I'm rather enjoying the Worricker trilogy on Netflix atm. Starring Bill Nighy as a more real-world MI5 agent and a veritable who's who of British character actors with a few big names too (Rachel Weiss, Michael Gambon
    Ralph Fiennes, Winona Ryder, Christopher Walken, Helena Bonham Carter, Ewen Bremner. Haven't seen the last one yet as Mrs Sleepy isn't a fan but these are real Sunday Afternoon BBC fare and Nighy is as watchable as always.

Page Eight (2011)
    Turks & Caicos (2014)
    and Salting the Battlefield (2014)

Watched the trilogy a couple of weeks ago, overall it was fine. In parts it seemed a bit like self indulgent fantasy for older men which makes sense as the writer/director(David Hare) was in his 60s when he made them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭Lashes28

Just started to watch Evil Genius. Still years behind everyone but omg. Unreal. True crime American documentary.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,964 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Love, Death and Robots Volume 2 releases May 14th with 8 episodes.
    volume 3 coming in 2022.

I enjoyed the first volume

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,051 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Homelander wrote: »
    I wouldn't mind if Willis was making solid b-movies, but he's not doing that either. Most of his recent films have been a fair rung below that, absolute phoned-in garbage that's truly not much better than Steven Seagal quality.

I started watching that Anti-Life one but had to turn it off, it was like a SyFy original movie.
    Normally I don't like spoilers, but in this case it was so bad I looked it up. Turns out it was a story that's been done millions of times before and no one has come close to the original so I stopped watching very early on.

IMBD rating is 3.0 so utter garbage and the spacecraft was poor CGI which given the state of computer graphics these days it meant they just didn't care.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,191 ✭✭✭RandomViewer

Can't say he looks happy doing it.

The link to Randall Emmett says he averages less than 10 minutes screen time in most of them, he seemed to be longer in Anti-Life until I checked IMDB which lists a Clay(Willis character) stand in in the cast list, so same as Seagal

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,033 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

CastorTroy wrote: »
    volume 3 coming in 2022.

I only found out the other day that a volume 2 had even been commissioned for this so very happy to see this news :) In an ideal world a greater proportion of the episodes would be traditional animation, but you can't have everything...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭zerosugarbuzz

Not a film but Pretend its a City with Fran Lebowitz and Martin Scorsese is excellent, particularly if you like New York humour.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,563 ✭✭✭✭peteeeed

The Death of Stalin
    The death of Russian dictator Joseph Stalin throws the Soviet Union into comic chaos as his ambitious but addled ministers maneuver to succeed him.

Smallfoot
    After his village banishes him for insisting that a species called "smallfoot" is real, Migo the yeti embarks on a journey to prove his claim.

added

• Registered Users Posts: 24,196 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

Watched the trilogy a couple of weeks ago, overall it was fine. In parts it seemed a bit like self indulgent fantasy for older men which makes sense as the writer/director(David Hare) was in his 60s when he made them.
    Oh, you're absolutely right on that front, they're Sunday afternoon TV movies but well cast, decently scripted and everyone is enjoying themselves.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,203 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

PsychoPete wrote: »
    Watched love and monsters over the weekend, it was grand probably an ideal Sunday evening film

I watched it the first half hour or so with my daughter and thought it was a bit dark for family viewing despite it being 12s, does it lighten up?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,742 ✭✭✭PsychoPete

Hurrache wrote: »
    I watched it the first half hour or so with my daughter and thought it was a bit dark for family viewing despite it being 12s, does it lighten up?

I didn't think it was dark to be honest actually thought it was fairly harmless

• Registered Users Posts: 10,886 ✭✭✭✭Electric Nitwit

CastorTroy wrote: »
    volume 3 coming in 2022.

Brilliant - I thought the first slipped under the radar a bit, so wasn't expecting more

The first is a little hit and miss (as with any anthology made by different people, I guess) but at its worst it was decent, at its best it was brilliant

Nice to have short, standalone things to watch too

• Registered Users Posts: 6,191 ✭✭✭RandomViewer

Hurrache wrote: »

Once he leaves the bunker it lightens, its silly

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭Whestsidestory

Watched Death of Stalin on Netflix a few months ago must have been taken off since then if its back on again now. Really enjoyed it

• Registered Users Posts: 4,231 ✭✭✭Hercule Poirot

Death of Stalin is a fantastic film filled with little idiosyncrasies that make it more entertaining

His son, played brilliantly by Rupert Friend, is the stand out character for me

Great film

I watched Death of Stalin and I just didn't get why its so recommended. I was getting pretty bored watching it and wasn't finding it anyway funny

• Registered Users Posts: 60,500 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Expect another price hike soon

Netflix To Spend $17B On Content In 2021
    Netflix has revealed that it will spend $17B on content in 2021 – on par with its 2020 spend.

The streamer noted the figure in its first quarter financial results.

“While the roll out of vaccines is very uneven across the world, we are back up and producing safely in every major market, with the exception of Brazil and India. Assuming this continues, we’ll spend over $17B in cash on content this year and we’ll continue to deliver an amazing range of titles for our members with more originals this year than last,” it noted in its shareholder letter.

In 2019, the company spend a touch more than $15B and was estimated to have spent around $17B in 2020 with analysts including BMO Capital Markets’ Dan Salmon estimating that it could spend up to $26B by 2026.

https://deadline.com/2021/04/netflix-to-spend-17b-on-content-in-2021-1234740528/

• Registered Users Posts: 398 ✭✭camz09

Not sure if it's been discussed a few pages back but "Bad Trip" made me laugh so hard. I understand it's not everyone's humour, though. Still, enjoyed it more than Borat 2.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,051 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

I watched Death of Stalin and I just didn't get why its so recommended. I was getting pretty bored watching it and wasn't finding it anyway funny
    It helps to know the history and characters.

It's very black comedy

• Advertisement

It helps to know the history and characters.

It's very black comedy

I figured as I've no interest in history or who the characters were, it just went over my head

• Registered Users Posts: 7,980 ✭✭✭DenMan

I gave up on Simply Black after a few minutes. Awful rubbish! Watched Love and Monsters instead. Did anybody watch Simply Black and enjoy it?

Zero: Season 1
    A shy boy who used to feel invisible, develops an extraordinary superpower that takes over when he meets a group of friends intent on saving their neighborhood. Making it only together. Love, the desire to
    dreams, the power of friendship.

Jackie
    To honor her husband's legacy, first lady Jacqueline Kennedy allows a reporter to interview her a mere week after the president's assassination.

Tell Me When
    Workaholic Will puts his humdrum life in LA on hold to fulfill his grandpa's last wish: visiting Mexico City's most iconic sights and falling in love.

added

• Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭dubstepper

Anti-Life is woeful. Like a TV movie rip off of Alien

• Registered Users Posts: 3,863 ✭✭✭mikhail

I figured as I've no interest in history or who the characters were, it just went over my head
    What's not to like about scheming imbeciles? It's a comedy of errors, which is maybe not so fashionable.

I remember Iannucci talking on the radio about what drew him to the story, and he told the story of Stalin's kid who was in charge of the national hockey team because it seemed like something even he couldn't **** up. He forced a plane carrying the team to take off in the storm, and it crashed, killing them all. So far, so horrifying. Then, he got a bunch of his mates together to play a match, to hide the fact that he'd killed the team. That's black comedy.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

Enjoyed Run.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,390 ✭✭✭Homelander

I thought it was absolutely brilliant. Helps if you've an interest in history, but it's an incredibly good yarn that strikes a great balance between the black comedy and drama that genuinely marked that era of Soviet politics.

HOMUNCULUS
    Truth and illusion blurs when a homeless amnesiac awakens from an experimental medical procedure with the ability to see people's innermost traumas.

Searching For Sheela
    Journalists and fans await Ma Anand Sheela as the infamous former Rajneesh commune's spokesperson returns to India after decades for an interview tour.

Stowaway
    On a mission headed to Mars, an unintended stowaway accidentally causes severe damage to the spaceship’s life support systems. Facing dwindling resources and a potentially fatal outcome, the crew is forced to make an impossible decision. Anna Kendrick’s medical researcher, Zoe, emerges as the only dissenting voice against the clinical logic of both her commander and the ship’s biologist. A survival sci-fi thriller co-starring Daniel Dae Kim, Shamier Anderson and Toni Collette and directed by Joe Penna.

added

What’s Coming to Netflix UK on May

N = Netflix original
    May 1st
    Below Deck (Multiple Seasons) – Seasons of the highly-rated reality series where you follow the crew of a multi-million dollar charter boat.
    Eagle Eye (2008) – Shia LaBeouf headlines this thriller about two strangers that are attached to a terrorist threat.
    Premonition (2007) – Fantasy mystery starring Sandra Bullock.
    School of Rock (2003) – Jack Black comedy where he infiltrates a school as a substitute teacher and teaches his kids who to be rockstars.
    The Fourth Kind (2009) – Horror mystery from director Olatunde Osunsanmi.
    The Italian Job (2003) – The rebooted action thriller starring Mark Wahlberg and Charlize Theron.

May 2nd
    Colony (Season 3) – Netflix UK finally gets the final season of the sci-fi series starring Josh Holloway and Sarah Wayne Callies.

May 4th
    Selena: The Series (Season 2) N – The second part of the Selena biopic series that arrives on Netflix slightly earlier than originally billed.
    Trash Truck (Season 2) N – Kids cartoon series about a giant truck and his best friend Hank continuing their adventures together.

May 5th
    Lava Ka Dhaava (Season 1) N – Indian spin-off of the reality series where contestants aren’t allowed to touch the floor.
    The Circle (Season 2 – Finale) N – Reality series based on the Channel 4 show – Weekly episodes will arrive in April but the finale will air on May 5th.
    The Last Days (1998) – Oscar-winning documentary set during WW2 recapping the harrowing events of the cleansing in Hungary.
    The Sons of Sam: A Descent into Darkness (Limited Series) N – Crime docu-series about a journalist looking into murders linked to a satanic cult.
    Upin&Ipin (Season 11) – Children’s animation.

May 6th
    An Tomorrow the Entire World (2020) N – German crime-drama that sees a law student’s political idealogy pushed to the limit when she joins an anti-fascist group and is sucked into increasingly dangerous and violent situations.

May 7th
    Girl from Nowhere (Season 2) N – Thai series returning for season 2.
    Jupiter’s Legacy (Season 1) N – The first of the brand new titles to come out of the Netflix superhero universe, Millarworld.
    Men in Black: International (2019) – The rebooted Men in Black movie series starring Chris Hemsworth and Tessa Thompson.
    Milestone (2021) N – Indian drama about a bereaved trucker who faces the threat of losing his job.
    Monster (2021) N – Timely retelling of Steve Harmon’s story.

The Secret Life of Pets 2 (2019) – The animated Illumination movie continuing the story of Max and his pet friends.

May 9th
    Super Me (2019) N – Chinese fantasy drama about Sang Yu, a man with the ability to extract antiques from his dreams into the real world. Almost overnight his newfound wealth draws the attention of a ruthless gangster.

May 10th
    The Corrupted (2019) – Crime-thriller starring Sam Claflin and Timothy Spall.
    Deadly Switch (2019) – Indie thriller that sees a foreign exchange student become the target of a stalker, and moves in with her roommate’s family, who would do anything to get their daughter back.
    It Is Never Too Late (1956) – Classic Swedish movie about a woman going through a bitter divorce, and moves herself and her children in with her mother.
    The Outlaw and His Wife (1918) – Classic silent movie centered around a stranger who comes to work at a farm.

May 11th
    Motherland (Season 2) – British comedy series about a group of friends navigating the world of parenthood, in particular, the less glamourous side of parenting.

May 12th
    Brightburn (2019) – Superpowered horror that unofficially tells the story of “what if Superman was born evil.”
    Dance of the Forty One (2021) N – LGBTQ Mexican series.
    Oxygen (2021) N – French sci-fi survival film about a woman waking up in a cryogenic unit with no memory.
    The Upshaws (Season 1) N – New sitcom about a Black family in Indiana striving for a better life.

May 13th
    Castlevania (Season 4) N – The final season of the video-game anime series.

May 14th
    Ferry (2021) N – Dutch spin-off movie to the series Undercover available now on Netflix.
    Haunted (Season 3) N – More real-world testimony of scary haunted sightings.
    I Am All Girls (2021) N – German thriller.
    Jungle Beat: The Movie (2021) N – Animated animal adventure where an alien grants the zoo animals the ability to speak.
    ma 2019 netflix
    Ma (2019) – Horror thriller starring Diana Silvers and Octavia Spencer.
    Move to Heaven (Season 1) N – K-Drama centered around two trauma cleaners and the stories they uncover.
    The Heroic Legend of Arslan (Season 1) – Classic anime series from the 1990s.
    The Strange House (2021) N – German family horror.
    The Woman in the Window (2021) N – Amy Adams headlines this psychological thriller.

May 15th
    Kuroko’s Basketball (Season 2) – Sports-based anime series.

May 16th
    Curious George 3: Back to the Jungle (2015) – Animated family adventure with the classic character.
    dads army movie may 2021
    Dad’s Army (2016) – The reboot of the classic sitcom starring a huge lineup of British stars including Michael Gambon, Toby Jones, Bill Nighy and more.
    Highlander (1986) – Classic fantasy adventure from director Russell Mulcahy about the immortal Connor MacLeod who fought in 1536 and now must do the same in “modern” day New York City.
    The Doors (1991) – The story of sex, drugs and rock N roll with this biopic of Jim Morrison.
    The Nutty Professor II: The Klumps (2000) – Eddie Murphy returns in the fat suit for more carnage.

May 19th
    Who Killed Sara? (Season 2) N – The hit Spanish crime mystery returns to wrap up the story.

May 20th
    Special (Season 2) N – A slightly longer final outing for the comedy series by Ryan O’Connell.

May 21st
    Army of the Dead (2021) N – A crack team of mercenaries plots a heist during the zombie apocalypse. Directed by Zack Snyder.

Jurassic World Camp Cretaceous (Season 3) N – The third season of the animated series set in the Jurassic Park universe.

May 26th
    The Divine Ponytail (2021) N – Italian biopic on soccer legend Roberto Baggio.

May 27th
    Eden (Season 1) N – Sci-fi anime series from Justin Leach about a pair of robots secretly raising a young girl.
    Ragnarok Season 2

May 28th
    Lucifer (Season 5B) N – The second half of the devil detective series FINALLY hits Netflix.
    The Kominsky Method (Season 3) N – Final season of the incredibly underrated Chuck Lorre comedy series.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,085 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

Just as I finish watching Below Deck on Cinema app on my firestick, Netflix add more seasons! Just glad I didn't pay for Hulu to watch it, Netflix only had the first two seasons.

Yes it's trashy reality programming but in the middle of a pandemic it's great!

Advertisement