Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PS4 Megathread goes fourth.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 29,483 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Well now you HAVE to make a video just to see double jointed fingertips in action :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 12,484 ✭✭✭✭Varik

Penn wrote: »
    It'll be a 56 minute video. 6 minutes cleaning the PS4 and replacing the thermal paste, 50 minutes trying to pry the covers off with my fingers :D

They make it look so easy in all the videos but because I have double-jointed fingertips, I barely have the strength in them to pull the cover up. Damn near break them every time I've tried before I finally hear that click (the cover, not my fingers).

Was thinking of that, but do I risk blowing any dust that's there into another part of the machine or will it just blow it towards the fan? Or should I use cotton buds/brush to clean the heatsink in that instance rather than compressed air?

You won't get far with a cotton bud, clean the outer edge with it as much as possible so you're not blowing dust into the heatsink but most of the dust will be lodged on the fan side of the heatsink, have a vacuum going as close as possible to the opposite side.

Keep the can upright, they splatter liquid if turned.

EDIT

• Registered Users Posts: 12,484 ✭✭✭✭Varik

Zero-Cool wrote: »
    Cheap Playsonic2 headphones, no spare mics. Will try it later and see anyway thanks.

Buy a cheap USB microphone, some would be better than other and you need one that doesn't have any noise isolation and is plug and play.

plug in mic, and set it to the side beside the baby monitor.

when the PS4 see it set it as an alt account (needs to be a proper PSN account), and set mic sensitivity.

Join a party with this alt account, and you'll hear everything from this mic. You don't need a second controller as you can sign your controller in and out of each account to move them to join the party.

I tested it out with another headset there and a mic and it worked, I also tried with the PlayStation camera but that didn't as it can't be set to a single user.

If you've got a second controller you could use that with an old pair of phone ear buds, they usually have mics on them. Only issue there is you'd have the battery draining and you'd have to turn off the power saving for devices.

I'm using Sidetone setting (sounds picked up from mic go into your headset) with the psvr and it's so ****ing useful for the baby monitor. Does anyone know if this setting is always there for any headphones with a mic? If so, i can use that for TLOU 2 and the fan noise would be much less of a problem for me.

Bit late to the topic, but does the baby monitor have lights on it? I know mine does; if the volume in the room hits a certain level, the lights flash up. I set the monitor beside the TV where I could keep an eye on it.

Bit late to the topic, but does the baby monitor have lights on it? I know mine does; if the volume in the room hits a certain level, the lights flash up. I set the monitor beside the TV where I could keep an eye on it.

Yeah but i wouldn't trust the lights as that could be her moving around or screaming the place down. I've found the sidetone on the psvr has been the most helpful thing for playing games, immersion, can't hear fan but still hear noises around me, best of everything.

• Advertisement

Yeah but i wouldn't trust the lights as that could be her moving around or screaming the place down. I've found the sidetone on the psvr has been the most helpful thing for playing games, immersion, can't hear fan but still hear noises around me, best of everything.

Only one other option - move the PS4 into her room. :p

• Registered Users Posts: 3,131 ✭✭✭ronano

Anyone know the best way to clean a ps4 for dust without using condensed air or unscrewing?

• Registered Users Posts: 33,232 ✭✭✭✭Penn

ronano wrote: »
    Anyone know the best way to clean a ps4 for dust without using condensed air or unscrewing?

You can lift the cover off without removing any screws (unless you have bendy fingertips like myself) and I guess wipe away any dust from the fan area, but you'll probably be cleaning f*ck all and doing anything more than that is going to require unscrewing at the very least.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,808 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

I'm very close to trying the thermal paste myself. I work nights, and keep to a night pattern on my days off, so have the headset going at night and can still hear the fan through them at times. NBA2K20, Lego Batman 3, MW2019, they all drive the fan mental. Tested it one night and had the console in the middle of the room on the floor with nothing around it and it was still just as loud.

But i'm also tentative as I want to trade it in against the PS5, and with some unexpected car bills I can't afford another PS4 Pro right now!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,131 ✭✭✭ronano

Cheap earphone recommendation for tlou2? Don't want to spend loads because want to splash out on decent ones for ps5

• Advertisement

ronano wrote: »
    Cheap earphone recommendation for tlou2? Don't want to spend loads because want to splash out on decent ones for ps5

I find even the cheapest Sony are pretty good. Have a pair of in-ear Sony ones I got for €10 in Argos, do the job fine and better than most other more expensive 'cheap' brands. I'd give you a link, but the Argos site is down until 7am.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 482 ✭✭nintendoo

I don't have a PS4.... but those first party AAA games are looking very tempting at the moment.
    e.g. < 20 quid for e.g. Spiderman, Last of us, HZD, God of War, Unchartered, RDR2, ...

I plan to get a PS4 pro/PS5 and appropriate 4K HDR TV at some stage, but wondering does it make sense to get these now?
    Or should I just wait. Will they just stay at this price and/or get cheaper ?

(edit)
    I'm also looking at a PS4 slim on Amazon UK with LOU, Unchartered, HZD for 254 stg ....
    Decisions :):)

nintendoo wrote: »
    I don't have a PS4.... but those first party AAA games are looking very tempting at the moment.
    e.g. < 20 quid for e.g. Spiderman, Last of us, HZD, God of War, Unchartered, RDR2, ...

I plan to get a PS4 pro/PS5 and appropriate 4K HDR TV at some stage, but wondering does it make sense to get these now?

(edit)
    I'm also looking at a PS4 slim on Amazon UK with LOU, Unchartered, HZD for 254 stg ....

I think you could probably set up a PSN account via the website, buy the games for the current price on it, and then download them whenever you get your console.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,804 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

(edit)

RDR2 isn't a first party game and it's available on GamePass if you have a PC.

HZD is only ok but I'd play through BOTW first as it's far superior.

Uncharted isn't great. Poor man's tomb raider.

Get Bloodborne if your getting a PS4 though. By far my favorite game on the console.

Oops, yep, I know RDR2 isn't a first party/exclusive game.
    I don't have a PC for it.
    I've played BOTW (on Switch), my favourite game of all time!
    Guess, I'm looking for something similar, if that's possible!

Only play the Switch docked; so the portable advantage is not much use to me.
    Have all the Nintendo exclusives I want.
    I don't really want to pay 45 quid for e.g. Witcher 3 when I can get a
    much better version for < 15 quid.

Think I'm going to wait a few years before I get a next gen console and
    the proper 4K HDR TV for it. I'd expect both to drop in price.
    e.g. PS5 1.1/slim; cheaper/better 4K HDR TVs. Also, both next gen
    consoles are not out until the end of the year; and then in
    short supply; expensive; with maybe bugs and issues.

PS4 pro seems like a stop-gap to 4K gaming and it's redundant
    with PS5 coming out. Plus, it seems like it's a lottery
    whether you get a quiet one or not. Xbox One X is a small,
    quiet machine that does 4K right; but no real games of
    interest on it for me. Also, both the PS4 pro and xbox one x
    are expensive at the moment.

So, I'm learning towards PS4 slim right now because there are some
    real bargains there in the Playstation hits range (including Bloodbourne).
    Also, it's cheap (has been a lot cheaper) and is fine for 1080p gaming.

Think I'll buy a few games and hang on a bit until I come across a
    PS4 slim bargain.

^^^ sometimes you have to work it out before making a decision :) ^^^

Oops, yep, I know RDR2 isn't a first party/exclusive game.
    I don't have a PC for it.
    I've played BOTW (on Switch), my favourite game of all time!
    Guess, I'm looking for something similar, if that's possible!

Only play the Switch docked; so the portable advantage is not much use to me.
    Have all the Nintendo exclusives I want.
    I don't really want to pay 45 quid for e.g. Witcher 3 when I can get a
    much better version for < 15 quid.

Think I'm going to wait a few years before I get a next gen console and
    the proper 4K HDR TV for it. I'd expect both to drop in price.
    e.g. PS5 1.1/slim; cheaper/better 4K HDR TVs. Also, both next gen
    consoles are not out until the end of the year; and then in
    short supply; expensive; with maybe bugs and issues.

PS4 pro seems like a stop-gap to 4K gaming and it's redundant
    with PS5 coming out. Plus, it seems like it's a lottery
    whether you get a quiet one or not. Xbox One X is a small,
    quiet machine that does 4K right; but no real games of
    interest on it for me. Also, both the PS4 pro and xbox one x
    are expensive at the moment.

So, I'm learning towards PS4 slim right now because there are some
    real bargains there in the Playstation hits range (including Bloodbourne).
    Also, it's cheap (has been a lot cheaper) and is fine for 1080p gaming.

Think I'll buy a few games and hang on a bit until I come across a
    PS4 slim bargain.

^^^ sometimes you have to work it out before making a decision :) ^^^

I'd say go for Bloodborne, GOW and Spiderman. Then get The Last of Us and by the time they're all completed you'll be able to pick up The Last of Us 2 for cheap :)

I've got a list of 5 star PS4 games now for like 11.99 stg each in my Amazon basket ...
    It's like Christmas.
    Think I need to lie down :):):)

I've got a list of 5 star PS4 games now for like 11.99 stg each in my Amazon basket ...
    It's like Christmas.
    Think I need to lie down :):):)

You've put up with a lot during lockdown. You deserve a treat :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 32,988 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Why do my move controllers need to be plugged into the ps4 to charge?

If I take them to a usb equipped double wall socket, which charges every other usb device, they won't charge.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,516 ✭✭✭sniper_samurai

NIMAN wrote: »
    Why do my move controllers need to be plugged into the ps4 to charge?

If I take them to a usb equipped double wall socket, which charges every other usb device, they won't charge.

Which move controllers do you have? All official PS3 controllers need to be charged off the console or a charging dock.

Not sure if you need to do this with the newer Move controllers with the micro usb port.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,988 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Which move controllers do you have? All official PS3 controllers need to be charged off the console or a charging dock.

Not sure if you need to do this with the newer Move controllers with the micro usb port.

Yeah it's the older models, they have a bigger usb/charging socket. It's not the small one like you see on the controllers.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,516 ✭✭✭sniper_samurai

NIMAN wrote: »
    Yeah it's the older models, they have a bigger usb/charging socket. It's not the small one like you see on the controllers.

Yeah, they require a dock to charge them without being connected to a PlayStation console.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,570 ✭✭✭EoinHef

Roll on PS5,getting messages saying I haven't got enough space and I need 14gb freed up to install an update.

Go to system storage,says I have 400gb free but its adamant I need more space. I delete a game. So the download starts and its 3.816gb...like wtf Sony?

So now it'll probably take 20mins to "copy" the update:pac:

Might be something obvious I'm missing here. Back on the PS4 after long absence and I want to add a some apps to a folder Netflix, youtube and Eurosport but when you press options you don't have the option to add those to a folder like for example you do with Spotify :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 11,290 ✭✭✭✭Exclamation Marc

Might be something obvious I'm missing here. Back on the PS4 after long absence and I want to add a some apps to a folder Netflix, youtube and Eurosport but when you press options you don't have the option to add those to a folder like for example you do with Spotify :confused:

I think those apps only can sit in the TV and Media/Video folder (or whatever its called).

I think those apps only can sit in the TV and Media/Video folder (or whatever its called).

Yes spot on I see them there now.

I'm using Sidetone setting (sounds picked up from mic go into your headset) with the psvr and it's so ****ing useful for the baby monitor. Does anyone know if this setting is always there for any headphones with a mic? If so, i can use that for TLOU 2 and the fan noise would be much less of a problem for me.

Finally got around to testing my headset and it doesn't have the sidetone option which is a sickner and my fan is getting louder. Tried battlefront 2, rocket League and Detroit become human, can't hear 80% of in-game sounds because of the fans.

Gonna open it up tomorrow, try the tips from Varik.

I cleaned the fan only in my Pro the other night. Now it just takes slightly longer to get to jet level sounds. I do want to take it apart and give it a proper clean (and maybe more thermal paste), but with it being so close to the launch of the PS5 I'm reluctant to go messing about. I won't touch it until I can guarantee I won't rip the warranty stickers covering the screw holes on the back!

Let us know how you get on Zero!

Was going to try the thermal paste last weekend so I'd have enough time to buy a PS4 Slim before TLOU2 came out if I bricked the console, but a f*ck up at Amazon meant the paste didn't come, so I'm going to wait until I've finished TLOU2 instead.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,226 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

I know this has been said over and over, but fúcking hell, the size of COD and it's updates. It's taking up almost 200gb.

Advertisement