Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PS4 Megathread goes fourth.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,827 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

Yeah, they really need to let people download only what they want, ie: Warzone, MP, SP, etc. Saying that, I've stopped playing anyway because they only seem to be concentrating on Warzone and have left MP behind.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,230 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

Yeah, they really need to let people download only what they want, ie: Warzone, MP, SP, etc. Saying that, I've stopped playing anyway because they only seem to be concentrating on Warzone and have left MP behind.

IT needs to come with an external hard drive. Imagine having a 500gb ps4.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,499 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

I

Let us know how you get on Zero!

Will be trying it tonight but not expecting much. It's going ape**** the last few days. I fully expect to be using headphones with TLOU 2 which isn't ideal but i don't want to miss anything in that or have to rely on subtitles.

• Registered Users Posts: 643 ✭✭✭Burlap_Sack

I reapplied thermal paste on my console recently and it made the world of difference. What was there had basically turned to dust but it was 4 years old. Just make sure you have the right tools for the job and it's handy enough to do, just takes a bit of time. In saying that I did have 3 mystery screws leftover at the end.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,133 ✭✭✭ronano

I pre-ordered the last of us 2 on the Indonesian store, I have downloaded the 70gb file of the game. Would I be right in saying that I would not be eligible for a refund?

I'm going to ask support once they're open but figured I'd throw the question up

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 38 Hyblaeus

Was going to finally bite the bullet today and get a PS4 after all these years.

Planning on getting PS4 Slim 500gb from Argos for €299 which comes bundled with Spiderman Game Of the Year edition. I have a 1tb external hard drive if needed.

Just want your opinion if you think it is good deal or do you think the prices will drop much more before the PS5, my thinking is I could trade in this system next year with GameStop or Cex and use it towards a PS5, thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,230 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

Hyblaeus wrote: »
    Was going to finally bite the bullet today and get a PS4 after all these years.

Planning on getting PS4 Slim 500gb from Argos for €299 which comes bundled with Spiderman Game Of the Year edition. I have a 1tb external hard drive if needed.

Just want your opinion if you think it is good deal or do you think the prices will drop much more before the PS5, my thinking is I could trade in this system next year with GameStop or Cex and use it towards a PS5, thanks.

That's as good a deal as any, in and around €300 with different games seems to be the best prices. Spiderman GOTY is €25 in the psn store at the moment.
    It won't drop more than about €50 max imho before the PS5 comes out. I'd buy one. You never know, might be a shortage of 5's when it's out and you'll need the 4 for another few months, or you might decide to wait 6 months after release.
    Just checking smyths and there's a 500gb modern warfare bundle, that's ridiculous!

• Registered Users Posts: 38 Hyblaeus

Cienciano wrote: »
    That's as good a deal as any, in and around €300 with different games seems to be the best prices. Spiderman GOTY is €25 in the psn store at the moment.
    It won't drop more than about €50 max imho before the PS5 comes out. I'd buy one. You never know, might be a shortage of 5's when it's out and you'll need the 4 for another few months, or you might decide to wait 6 months after release.
    Just checking smyths and there's a 500gb modern warfare bundle, that's ridiculous!

Thanks for the advice, might get Spiderman GOTY on psn store instead and get one of the bundled games from Argos which aren’t as reduced on psn store.

Looking forward to getting it, haven’t had a PlayStation since the PS2!

In saying that I did have 3 mystery screws leftover at the end.

That would melt my buzz! I watched a video of a lad doing a strip down of the Pro. All screws and parts were put into the 1 big container, just throwing them in as he was going. I had to stop watching. If i'm going to do it, I'll have an ice cube tray to keep everything separate and in order of removal!

• Registered Users Posts: 643 ✭✭✭Burlap_Sack

That would melt my buzz! I watched a video of a lad doing a strip down of the Pro. All screws and parts were put into the 1 big container, just throwing them in as he was going. I had to stop watching. If i'm going to do it, I'll have an ice cube tray to keep everything separate and in order of removal!

That was the plan but I haven't got a lot of patience. You do have to be careful with the Bluetooth/WiFi antenna as it can break easily. I'd say remove that as soon as possible.

• Advertisement

Looked at another video last night of a polish lad doing a thermal paste replacement, looks handy enough. But, like you said, small parts can easily break. I took apart my old DS4 which was drifting to fix it. Again, easy enough if a bit finnicky, but I wasn't paying attention when putting the 2 sides back together, and I snapped the clear plastic that makes the touchpad light up. Didn't even test it after that...

• Registered Users Posts: 29,499 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Zero-Cool wrote: »
    Will be trying it tonight but not expecting much. It's going ape**** the last few days. I fully expect to be using headphones with TLOU 2 which isn't ideal but i don't want to miss anything in that or have to rely on subtitles.

The only chance I've gotten to mess with this is at night and then I'm just too tired/lazy to try. My plan now is to play tlou2 tonight to get a baseline and clean it tomorrow to see what difference it made.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,613 ✭✭✭Gamer Bhoy 89

Got new feet for my Pro

H4RY1az.png

• Registered Users Posts: 12,494 ✭✭✭✭Varik

Put rubber feet on mine years ago as it made my hollow ikea desk vibrate and make some serious noise. I got them off an old landline phone, it's not raise as high as that but it's enough to dampen the vibrations into the desk. People should lift the PS4 up when it's being loud and see if it get's any quieter, you don't have to lift it high or anything just so it's not touching the table/desk/entertainment centre.

Have a large external HDD too that also loud even with it's own feet, and I keep forgetting to get something. Right now it's silent as I've it on it's side ontop of a wool hat.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,613 ✭✭✭Gamer Bhoy 89

I never even thought of getting them until someone posted a photo of his on Facebook. Would never have crossed my mind to get some.

Now I want feet for all my consoles

Pretty sure mine would still be extremely loud even if I put it in a freezer...

Pretty sure mine would still be extremely loud even if I put it in a freezer...

To be fair it would melt the freezer and still continue to still run at the volume

• Registered Users Posts: 11,151 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

ronano wrote: »
    To be fair it would melt the freezer and still continue to still run at the volume

Mine got put in the freezer after playing Alien isolation

duploelabs wrote: »
    Mine got put in the freezer after playing Alien isolation

"Sir, you've had seven heart attacks within 5 minutes"

Truly tho, the game is beautiful, brilliant yet terrifying and most stressed a game has made me.

OK, its payday and I'm gonna fix the PS4. Can anyone recommend me a good kit? One that'll work for other gadgets. Kit needs Torx Security bits (whereas most dont have security torx, or have like 3 or 4 of the common sizes).

Any recommendations? Also, best thermal paste?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,572 ✭✭✭EoinHef

From looking at results online im not sure the application of new thermal paste is going to do much.

I cleaned the fan today,which wasn't actually that dirty but ill see tonight if it made any difference. My guess would be not much though

• Registered Users Posts: 1,270 ✭✭✭bugs

EoinHef wrote: »
    From looking at results online im not sure the application of new thermal paste is going to do much.

I cleaned the fan today,which wasn't actually that dirty but ill see tonight if it made any difference. My guess would be not much though

I'd agree with this. Unless the system is overheating due to the paste failing, you're unlikely to see any improvement. If the paste was an issue, you'd likely hear more noise across the board. Almost all the first model pros struggle under load, which they addressed in later models.

I've read mostly it does make a difference. I've the 7016b model and it's a joke at times. Its louder than my TV. There has to be something and I'm willing to risk it even if its a small improvement, it would be better than what it currently is.

I cleaned the fan too, now it just takes slightly longer to get as loud.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,572 ✭✭✭EoinHef

I've read mostly it does make a difference. I've the 7016b model and it's a joke at times. Its louder than my TV. There has to be something and I'm willing to risk it even if its a small improvement, it would be better than what it currently is.

I cleaned the fan too, now it just takes slightly longer to get as loud.

The difference between a really good TIM and a bad TIM is not that much,a few degrees most likely. Maybe 5 degress if your comparing top of the line to cheap stuff.

The problem is how Sony decided to cool the chip in the early Pro models. Its just not sufficient for the power being drawn and heat generated,the fan speed is a result of there not being enough heat dissipation unless the fan runs at 100% which is ****ty for a console they called a "Pro" model.

They should have went with a better fan or a more chucky heat sink really.

If you have a 200W part and you want there to be silence you get a cooler that can handle maximum 300W max which gives you overhead to run fan speeds lower hence quiet.

If you put a 200W max cooler on a part that can reach 200W you need the cooler to be at max efficency to cool the part when it hits 200W consumption which means ramping the fans up.

ACtually, yeah, the more I check it out, the more it seems that it's hit and miss. Lots of posts saying it's most likely the fan, the Delta one on most consoles is louder than the Nidec one. So I found this, which really gives me everything I need to disassemble, reapply paste and replace the fan. Tempted....

Edit: Feck it, just ordered the above. Will let ye know how it goes and a before/after video.

It my PS4 controller fake?

https://imgur.com/a/nUA7oNI

• Registered Users Posts: 7,535 ✭✭✭sniper_samurai

Yes. No PS logo on PS button and the label on the back is incorrect.

Looks an awful lot like this.

Looks an awful lot like this.

bingo, initiated a refund which is happening and ordered a new controller from amazon

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,966 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

bingo, initiated a refund which is happening and ordered a new controller from amazon

What site sold it to you? Did they state it was an official controller?

Advertisement