Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Galway GAA Discussion Thread #2

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭jr86

Great win for Turlough and would be championship favourites if the damn thing could be played off properly

Instead they must go off for a few months and try to re-find this momentum in a few month's time in what is essentially a brand new championship.

What was Jamie Ryan like for Loughrea? Saw him the first day against TAD he looked in flying form.

Started mighty but faded a bit as Gort won every break and puck out in the second half.

Johnny Coen had a fine game at full back and Joe Mooney had a great first half

It's a strange championship.

Oranmore looked like dark horses after round one and ahascragh looked almost destined for intermediate yet the latter were the better side yesterday!

KL took a hiding from Gort and Sars had a fine win sans Joe Cooney, they had him available yest and were absolutely blessed by all accounts to sneak a draw, 7 down at HT.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,313 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

jr86 wrote: »
    Started mighty but faded a bit as Gort won every break and puck out in the second half.

Johnny Coen had a fine game at full back and Joe Mooney had a great first half

It's a strange championship.

Oranmore looked like dark horses after round one and ahascragh looked almost destined for intermediate yet the latter were the better side yesterday!

KL took a hiding from Gort and Sars had a fine win sans Joe Cooney, they had him available yest and were absolutely blessed by all accounts to sneak a draw, 7 down at HT.

Basically you can't read anything into April results. Clubs are happy if they sneak a win in one game just to keep them afloat until after the Summer.

Basically you can't read anything into April results. Clubs are happy if they sneak a win in one game just to keep them afloat until after the Summer.

100%

A new tournament altogether come August really

• Registered Users Posts: 1,792 ✭✭✭Happyilylost

That's what I heard too. He should have been nowhere near where Burke was but wasn't there to see it.

Clip of this going around now. I would be more leaning towards the red being correct after seeing it... it popped up on Radio Gaa Gaa Facebook page if people want to make their own minds up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,927 ✭✭✭threeball

Clip of this going around now. I would be more leaning towards the red being correct after seeing it... it popped up on Radio Gaa Gaa Facebook page if people want to make their own minds up.

Looking at that the red was 100% correct. Mulqueen was standing behind the linesman so if Morris was claiming to have the head down he'd have cleaned the linesman out not mulqueen. He instead looked up saw mulqueen and accelerated.

Turlough get involved in some odd sh1t every year and it ends up costing them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,383 ✭✭✭h2005

To be honest I’d still be on the fence watching that. Ref has to be guessing

• Registered Users Posts: 825 ✭✭✭Stationmaster

I don't know to be honest. While he didn't seem to make any great effort not to run into Mulqueen, where was he supposed to go as, to me anyway, it looks like he would have had no option but to run into any one of the linesman, Mulqueen or the sub standing near Mulqueen?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭cosatron

ill put it this way. I played club hurling all my life, I wasn't the most graceful on the field, big and awkward you could say. But I never ran into a player or person on the sideline the way morris did.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,823 ✭✭✭BENDYBINN

cosatron wrote: »
    ill put it this way. I played club hurling all my life, I wasn't the most graceful on the field, big and awkward you could say. But I never ran into a player or person on the sideline the way morris did.

I push at most.......harmless

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭cosatron

BENDYBINN wrote: »
    I push at most.......harmless

I wouldn't say harmless, considering mulqueen was knocked out for 40 seconds, had to be taken away in an ambulance and possible injuries to his neck from the impact of the ground.

• Registered Users Posts: 825 ✭✭✭Stationmaster

cosatron wrote: »
    I wouldn't say harmless, considering mulqueen was knocked out for 40 seconds, had to be taken away in an ambulance and possible injuries to his neck from the impact of the ground.

No doubting the severity of the impact - it was hard. It just doesn't seem like a clear cut red card to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 385 ✭✭GS11

Saw the incident last night, no way was it deliberate, Morris is feisty, won't back down from anything, his reaction afterwards probably didn't help as he just seemed to square up, but that was just his protective instincts coming into play, travelling at speed, he was trying to stay in play, tapped the ball into play b4 he crashed into him, no way he could have seem him or it being deliberate.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,365 ✭✭✭MfMan

GS11 wrote: »
    Saw the incident last night, no way was it deliberate, Morris is feisty, won't back down from anything, his reaction afterwards probably didn't help as he just seemed to square up, but that was just his protective instincts coming into play, travelling at speed, he was trying to stay in play, tapped the ball into play b4 he crashed into him, no way he could have seem him or it being deliberate.

Ambivalent about it; he had just offloaded the ball so his concentration was most likely onto onfield matters. He did manage to dodge the linesman though and didn't brake too hard prior to collision. Mulqueen shouldn't ha' been standing there anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,761 ✭✭✭spurshero

Suprised at Gary O donnell being named football captain . I thought he would be more of an impact sub at this stage . If Kieran molloy isn’t starting this summer I give up

Should have stated above that o donnell is captain till comer returns

spurshero wrote:
    Suprised at Gary O donnell being named football captain . I thought he would be more of an impact sub at this stage . If Kieran molloy isn’t starting this summer I give up

Ya it's a strange one for me too.... is he certain of a spot if we get to a Connacht final and Comer isn't back? Thought it would of been fair enough to give it to Tom Flynn.

Hurling news Evan Niland added to the hurling panel. Should keep Jason Flynn on his toes. From the club games last weekend looks like only JC and Fintan Burke aren't hurling at the minute. (Johnny Glynn is not hurling for Ardrahan this year)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,013 ✭✭✭Hulk Hands

Don't see O'Donnell being capt having any relavance really. He was vice captain last year. Whatever about inside dressing rooms, on field captain has less importance in GAA than basically any other sport. Would be surprised to see him starting

• Registered Users Posts: 1,274 ✭✭✭RobbieRuns

Gary has been a good servant to Galway Football. Don't see why it would upset anyone. He is experienced and is obviously highly thought of by management. Good luck to him

• Registered Users Posts: 6,013 ✭✭✭Hulk Hands

RobbieRuns wrote: »
    Gary has been a good servant to Galway Football. Don't see why it would upset anyone. He is experienced and is obviously highly thought of by management. Good luck to him

Absolutely. Had a dodgy start to his career but a few very solid years at center back amid unwarranted criticism. Just think Kevin went for youth over him last summer and can't see that reversing now another year on with a further addition or two also

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 399 ✭✭leestone

Anyone know the actual hurling squad?

leestone wrote: »
    Anyone know the actual hurling squad?

No idea.........

• Registered Users Posts: 17,313 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

The Galway Team to face London

1. Ruairí Lavelle (Salthill Knocknacarra)
    2. Eoghan Kerin (Annaghdown)
    3. Sean Andy O’Ceallaigh (Naomh Anna, Leitir Móir)
    4. David Wynne (Mhaigh Cuilinn)
    5. Liam Silke (Corofin)
    6. John Daly (Mountbellew Moylough)
    7. Gary O’Donnell (Tuam Stars)
    8. Tom Flynn (Athenry)
    9. Michael Daly (Mountbellew/Moylough)
    10. Antaine O’Laoi (An Spidéal)
    11. Padraic Cunningham (Headford)
    12. Johnny Heaney (Killannin)
    13. Ian Burke (Corofin)
    14. Shane Walsh (Kilkerrin/Clonberne)
    15. Danny Cummins (Claregalway)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,383 ✭✭✭h2005

Wonder what the odds are on that 15 actually starting?

It won't be far off that team I would say........... maybe one or two changes. It is London that they are playing.

Is Sean Kelly injured? We must have some defence if Kieran molloy can’t make it !

Central Line underground in London is suspended. Which is the most straightforward way to out to the match. Make other plans anyone heading out.

• Registered Users Posts: 693 ✭✭✭grbear

So are London good or have Galway just been bad?

grbear wrote: »
    So are London good or have Galway just been bad?

I always maintain these are just complete damned if you do, damned if you don't games.

Go over, get the result and move on. Similar with ourselves later in NYC

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,015 ✭✭✭blowitupref

I expect a backlash from Galway after that game today and its a big help that they are playing Sligo next with one of the worst defences in Ireland. London can be very proud of their effort against a top 6 side and will have learnt more about themselves in that game today that 100 tier 2 championship games.

Advertisement