Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Galway GAA Discussion Thread #2

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,005 ✭✭✭willietherock

threeball wrote: »
    Might be a blessing in disguise. We shouldn't need joe to get out of Leinster but we absolutely need a fresh joe from the QF's on. Hes played a lot already this season. I don't know if he could keep that up for another 5 months. Burke or Flynn need to step up on the free taking. Conor Cooney needs to stay on the bench unless hes pulling up trees in training. Hes miles off the player he should be.

:confused: Without JC and with rake of guys out of form and new comers not able to step up ye'd do well to get out of Leinster.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 399 ✭✭leestone

Disaster JC was in the best player in the entire country this year but this will ask serious questions of Flynn Whelan Burke and Cooney set up or get out
    Ball is in your court now

• Registered Users Posts: 693 ✭✭✭grbear

Terrible news for both Joe and Fintan Burke.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,792 ✭✭✭Happyilylost

Jason Flynn due to his frees will be given his chance. Frees alone won't be enough to keep him in the team long run. He's a fantastic hurler and maybe a confidence hurler. Hopefully an extended run in the team with a decreased chance of been taken off could be the making of him.

Won't argue Conor Cooney has been below his very high standards last year. Still feel that has a lot to do with Johnny Glynn. He was utilized mainly at full forward. For me the other forward playing in beside him may as well be sitting in the stand. Feeding off scraps. Glynn either did something with it or else the ball was coming straight back out. Would like to see Conor Cooney and Whelan go back into the full forward line together. They destroyed all before them in 17' And I was hugely disappointed this wasn't maintained in 18'. With JC out for a bit Glynn will hopefully play in the half forward line.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,946 ✭✭✭threeball

:confused: Without JC and with rake of guys out of form and new comers not able to step up ye'd do well to get out of Leinster.

Meh, there's not too much to be panicking about in Leinster. Kilkenny are way down, Dublin are ok but have no firepower, wexford about the best at the moment. I dont see how we dont make top two even in the current situation.

The main threats are Waterford, Limerick and possibly Clare. All on the other side of the draw and hopefully we'll get joe back for then. It'd be no harm for this team to experience life without him without it being knockout.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 399 ✭✭leestone

Glynn is our Lynskey of the 80s is better at distributing the opposition defence should have been put on Declan Hannon last year like he was de burca the year before. It seem like a disaster considering the form JC was in and the fact it’s JC added with worrying form from senior players.
    The league has not uncovered a star for us but given us depth from las year now it’s time to ya that depth

• Registered Users Posts: 17,321 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

leestone wrote: »
    Disaster JC was in the best player in the entire country this year but this will ask serious questions of Flynn Whelan Burke and Cooney set up or get out
    Ball is in your court now

Yeah those lads really need to step now as they can't just hang back waiting for Joe to do something.

Could be the end of the Cathal Mannion in midfield experiment also as he might be needed more in the forwards now.

Enough talent there for sure to get of Leinster anyway if those lads raise their level. Joe back then mid Summer and we'll just have to hope we are still alive by then.

Yeah those lads really need to step now as they can't just hang back waiting for Joe to do something.

Could be the end of the Cathal Mannion in midfield experiment also as he might be needed more in the forwards now.

Enough talent there for sure to get of Leinster anyway if those lads raise their level. Joe back then mid Summer and we'll just have to hope we are still alive by then.

Moving Cathal Mannion out of midfield would be a huge mistake. Himself and Canning were the driving forces throughout the league. The lad has looked lost at times in the forwards and genuinely looked far inferior to his brother in terms of talent. This year proved he's every bit as good.

We can afford to use a part time passenger in the forwards if it means keeping Mannion in midfield. Mannion and a fit again burke would be the best midfield in the country.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,197 ✭✭✭Robson99

Unfortunately Leinster will be a struggle without JC.
    Keeper situation still a mess.
    2 corner backs to be sorted.
    Forwards positions / line up coud be anything. None of them playing well. No leader in the forwards without Joe

• Registered Users Posts: 1,762 ✭✭✭spurshero

Joe will be msssive loss . We can talk about other players stepping up etc but the reality is ya don’t replace genius . He’s being best player in country for last few years . As for saying out for 4 months is just sugar coating the fact that’s it’s long odds against we see him in Galway jersey again this season . Even if he did make it back in 4 months that only makes him available for all Ireland final and it’s hard to see us there without him and if we are it will be hard for him to be anywhere match fit . Hate being pessimistic but that s where it’s at . Anyway to the player himself best of luck with recovery as there will be nobody more gutted then himself

• Advertisement

Watching Limerick play would make you question what we do in training.

There's nothing exactly complicated about it, wing forwards withdraw and a general ball to the forwards is played into that space... backs know where to play it, forwards know where to go.

We're hitting scutter into areas where there's extra backs: 40/60 balls trajectory wise.

If they work it forward they pass it to the free man in sight whereas you'll constantly see one of our players play a long ball when he has a free man running ahead of him which means they have a spare player in their half somewhere(or turn and shoot from half way like Coen last week when he should be told never to shoot given his scoring rate).

You'd have to say it would be hard for Limerick to go 30mins without scoring the way they play and I don't think they don't have a core as good as us(not a whole pile of stars more a load of players along the level of Harte/NBurke etc) but they know what they're trying to do and they're not making the same mistakes over and over.

MoD has a lot to prove this year as 2017 is starting to get a bit far away now.

There's nothing exactly complicated about it, wing forwards withdraw and a general ball to the forwards is played into that space... backs know where to play it, forwards know where to go.

We're hitting scutter into areas where there's extra backs: 40/60 balls trajectory wise.

If they work it forward they pass it to the free man in sight whereas you'll constantly see one of our players play a long ball when he has a free man running ahead of him which means they have a spare player in their half somewhere(or turn and shoot from half way like Coen last week when he should be told never to shoot given his scoring rate).

You'd have to say it would be hard for Limerick to go 30mins without scoring the way they play and I don't think they don't have a core as good as us(not a whole pile of stars more a load of players along the level of Harte/NBurke etc) but they know what they're trying to do and they're not making the same mistakes over and over.

Good post.
    I think the way to beat Limericks system is to match it.
    Crowd the middle third and have 2 real fast forwards inside and quick ball into them.
    Think MOD got too wrapped up in playing Johnny Glynn at full forward last year when it was probably crying out for JC and Whelan to be isolated in there and quality ball put into them
    We won an all Ireland scoring 30 pts and a lot of then long range shooting. Our accuracy was exceptional that year unfortunately we seem to play that type of game too much with half backs shooting from silly positions. You dont see Limerick waste that much ball

• Registered Users Posts: 1,792 ✭✭✭Happyilylost

Robson99 wrote:
    Good post. I think the way to beat Limericks system is to match it. Crowd the middle third and have 2 real fast forwards inside and quick ball into them. Think MOD got too wrapped up in playing Johnny Glynn at full forward last year when it was probably crying out for JC and Whelan to be isolated in there and quality ball put into them We won an all Ireland scoring 30 pts and a lot of then long range shooting. Our accuracy was exceptional that year unfortunately we seem to play that type of game too much with half backs shooting from silly positions. You dont see Limerick waste that much ball

Limerick had 20 wides in last year's all Ireland final and seemed to have a shoot on sight policy to avoid Galways intensity in the middle. As it turned out if they had adapted to a very lacklustre Galway and relaxed on the ball they would of had it won at half time. Not sure I would go as far as say they don't waste ball.

I think the last thing hurling needs is more teams playing like limerick as their game resembles football. Constant short passing, hunting in packs etc. It just takes a solid enough team to utilise the free men that the hunting in packs generates for that style to come unstuck.
    Their game v Dublin last week was muck to watch and that here wasn't much better.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,201 ✭✭✭✭RMAOK

I think the last thing hurling needs is more teams playing like limerick as their game resembles football. Constant short passing, hunting in packs etc. It just takes a solid enough team to utilise the free men that the hunting in packs generates for that style to come unstuck.
    Their game v Dublin last week was muck to watch and that here wasn't much better.

The question is though, are Galway ATM the team to use that free man to match/beat limerick's system. Frankly, I wouldn't think so.

RMAOK wrote: »
    The question is though, are Galway ATM the team to use that free man to match/beat limerick's system. Frankly, I wouldn't think so.

Not as things stand with injuries etc but I wouldn't like to see our Hurlers take the route the footballers took in order to try to get back in the hunt. Yes they needed to get a bit more defensive but they took it to the extreme.
    We were horrible in last year's final and nearly caught limerick. If you pick them off from distance their system is in trouble.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,201 ✭✭✭✭RMAOK

We were horrible in last year's final and nearly caught limerick. If you pick them off from distance their system is in trouble.

That's one of the things I think we need to improve on again (or get back to) - our long range point scoring. If it means we don't waste time going for goals, then so be it. When you start racking up the points from outside, it draws the other team out and THEN you can go for goals if you want.

RMAOK wrote: »
    That's one of the things I think we need to improve on again (or get back to) - our long range point scoring. If it means we don't waste time going for goals, then so be it. When you start racking up the points from outside, it draws the other team out and THEN you can go for goals if you want.

I agree, we seemed to abandon what won us an all Ireland because people complained we didn't score goals. We scored goals for fun in the league last year and burned ourselves out trying to keep pundits happy. I thought we played a great style in 2017 and couldn't give a toss if we never scored a goal. We were hitting 30pts a game.

I agree, we seemed to abandon what won us an all Ireland because people complained we didn't score goals. We scored goals for fun in the league last year and burned ourselves out trying to keep pundits happy. I thought we played a great style in 2017 and couldn't give a toss if we never scored a goal. We were hitting 30pts a game.

Near impossible to keep that accuracy up. You need a goal scoring threat.
    Also would the physical fitness levels reached in 2017 be taking their tolls on the players now ?

Robson99 wrote: »
    Also would the physical fitness levels reached in 2017 be taking their tolls on the players now ?

You can still have it but we seemed to sacrifice our main game for the sake of goals and we became predictable. I don't see accuracy being an issue if you have the players and we have. As RMAOK said draw them out, then hit them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,505 ✭✭✭blue note

I think this is spot on. Even thinking of the final in 17, I think ye scored 9 points before hitting a wide. And I remember thinking that many of the shots were the low percentage ones you want to see your opponents take on. They just all went over.

It's not a style I'd like to see my team play - I just don't think you can rely on it for consistent results.

blue note wrote: »
    I think this is spot on. Even thinking of the final in 17, I think ye scored 9 points before hitting a wide. And I remember thinking that many of the shots were the low percentage ones you want to see your opponents take on. They just all went over.

It's not a style I'd like to see my team play - I just don't think you can rely on it for consistent results.

It won pretty much every game that year. I'd call that pretty consistent.

• Registered Users Posts: 957 ✭✭✭BloodyBill

Galway dont have a game plan. It's as simple as that. Limerick are miles ahead in their tactics and they all know their job. Galway dont..too much free wheeling around the pitch. I love watching Limerick play. They are better than last year. It's very positive ,heads up stuff and the passing is of a different class. Galway have no Hegarty type player to do the work and pass the ball. Glynn isnt in a similar mould . Kinnerk and Kiely have a proper plan and they rotate players. It's a little bit more nuanced than having a 2 man full forward line. Now Limerick areno superstars but by God I wouldn't want to be relying on Flynn and other subs in comparison to Flanagan and Dowling. Cork,Limerick and I think Waterford will emerge from Munster. I dont see Galway beating any of them without a game plan and without Canning.

We certainly had no game plan in the All Ireland final last year.

In relation to the Accuracy I think everything in 2017 we hit went over from all angles. Conor Cooney a perfect example. 3 super points in the final last year 3 very bad misses. Somewhere in the middle is probably a fair return.
    Also goals can kill teams off when you are on top in a game

BloodyBill wrote: »
    Galway dont have a game plan. It's as simple as that. Limerick are miles ahead in their tactics and they all know their job. Galway dont..too much free wheeling around the pitch. I love watching Limerick play. They are better than last year. It's very positive ,heads up stuff and the passing is of a different class. Galway have no Hegarty type player to do the work and pass the ball. Glynn isnt in a similar mould . Kinnerk and Kiely have a proper plan and they rotate players. It's a little bit more nuanced than having a 2 man full forward line. Now Limerick areno superstars but by God I wouldn't want to be relying on Flynn and other subs in comparison to Flanagan and Dowling. Cork,Limerick and I think Waterford will emerge from Munster. I dont see Galway beating any of them without a game plan and without Canning.

Cork have shown nothing to suggest that they're good enough to beat anyone this year. They've been woeful. I'd have my money on Clare before Cork. Consistency is Clare's main problem.

We certainly had no game plan in the All Ireland final last year.

In relation to the Accuracy I think everything in 2017 we hit went over from all angles. Conor Cooney a perfect example. 3 super points in the final last year 3 very bad misses. Somewhere in the middle is probably a fair return.
    Also goals can kill teams off when you are on top in a game

That game was lost before we set foot on the pitch. The legs were gone and there was no urgency. Cooneys form has fallen off a cliff since the 2017 final so not a great comparison.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 Cathalachs

Delighted for our nearest and dearest mayo!��
    Let's hope history repeats itself as in 2001 and galway go on and lift Sam.
    Mayo will be seen as the team to beat after today which suits us just fine.
    Kerry had no midfield,there forwards didn't get a sniff from a mean mayo defence in the second half,but Kerry were so slow in there build up it was easy to defend. Would be more than confident of beating mayo again if we both get into the connacht final.mayo enjoy today!

That game was lost before we set foot on the pitch. The legs were gone and there was no urgency. Cooneys form has fallen off a cliff since the 2017 final so not a great comparison.

Our conversion rate in 2017 was way above average /normal. Near impossible to maintain that. And we were still hanging on despite dominating the game

Our conversion rate in 2017 was way above average /normal. Near impossible to maintain that. And we were still hanging on despite dominating the game

Trying to force goals is not the way to address this. Last year we went from pinging balls over form 50-70m out to pinging the same ball in on top of Johnny Glynn. It worked for a while but the other forwards suffered and left us very predictable. A microcosm of this was the drawn clare game. We were hammering them out the gate for 25mins tapping over point after point then we switched tact and starting lobbing ball into Glynn. Their sweeper gobbled it up and set the platform for them to come back. Ultimately that cost us a second all ireland. A game that was as good as over ended up in a gruelling extra time period and an energy sapping replay. Great entertainment but it wore us down to nothing.

• Advertisement

Trying to force goals is not the way to address this. Last year we went from pinging balls over form 50-70m out to pinging the same ball in on top of Johnny Glynn. It worked for a while but the other forwards suffered and left us very predictable. A microcosm of this was the drawn clare game. We were hammering them out the gate for 25mins tapping over point after point then we switched tact and starting lobbing ball into Glynn. Their sweeper gobbled it up and set the platform for them to come back. Ultimately that cost us a second all ireland. A game that was as good as over ended up in a gruelling extra time period and an energy sapping replay. Great entertainment but it wore us down to nothing.
    Id agree with that but we should be coming up with a game plan to score goals. Johnny Glynn at FF is OK for a period of the game and there is good ball going in right ontop of him.
    Where is the creativity ? How long did JC get in at Full Forward in the AI last year ? As I said in previous post no game plan and no plan to create goal scoring opportunities

Advertisement