Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Galway GAA Discussion Thread #2

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 672 ✭✭✭Ashleigh1986

Will someone let the Mayo people know that
    The clocks went forward one hour on Sunday .
    They didn't go forward 6 fxxxxng months !!!
    Relax ... It's a league final ye won .
    We all know what would happen if it was September in Croke park !!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,762 ✭✭✭spurshero

Ah good luck to them . They’ve suffered enough croke Park pain . Maybe we should look at ourselves and think that that should have been us up there yesterday after being 7 points up at half time last Sunday !

• Registered Users Posts: 729 ✭✭✭MattressRick

That mayo team has shown more bottle in big games than this current Galway team. Hopefully Galway can go deep into the championship but when the tide has turned against them in recent years they've folded. Mayo have been through so many ups and downs, they're entitled to be happy for once after a final.

Edit: I refer to the big games in croke park like Tipp and Kerry and Dublin in successive years

• Registered Users Posts: 1,936 ✭✭✭I says

Club hurling starting back this weekend cappatalge and mellows for me this year to get to the final and I think portumna will do will to stay up even if JC is fit for the latter group games.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,321 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

I says wrote: »
    Club hurling starting back this weekend cappatalge and mellows for me this year to get to the final and I think portumna will do will to stay up even if JC is fit for the latter group games.

Think Clarinbridge could go close to the final. Were not far off it last year. Definitely the coming force with all their young talent.

Fintan Burke and Joe serious losses for Toms and Portumna respectively. Even though Joe will be back by the autumn.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,792 ✭✭✭Happyilylost

That mayo team has shown more bottle in big games than this current Galway team. Hopefully Galway can go deep into the championship but when the tide has turned against them in recent years they've folded. Mayo have been through so many ups and downs, they're entitled to be happy for once after a final.

Not sure bottle is the word I'd use for Mayo. Still them winning the league should make for an interesting Connacht.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,013 ✭✭✭Hulk Hands

threeball wrote: »
    That game was lost before we set foot on the pitch. The legs were gone and there was no urgency. Cooneys form has fallen off a cliff since the 2017 final so not a great comparison.

He was close to man of the match in the games against Kilkenny and Wexford in the Leinster group stage last year. Dropped then for the Leinster final inexplicably. I wonder was there some other reason behind that. Hasn't played well since. While he's certainly not afraid of going for his own score (to his detriment at times), he does seem to be a confidence crest of a wave type player and its lacking now

• Registered Users Posts: 1,936 ✭✭✭I says

Hulk Hands wrote: »
    He was close to man of the match in the games against Kilkenny and Wexford in the Leinster group stage last year. Dropped then for the Leinster final inexplicably. I wonder was there some other reason behind that. Hasn't played well since. While he's certainly not afraid of going for his own score (to his detriment at times), he does seem to be a confidence crest of a wave type player and its lacking now
    All I want is performances without joe this season and then we can judge them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭jr86

I says wrote: »

Bridge Thomas's final for me, although I think Turlough will finally have a push in them

Still think there's too much quality in that Thomas's side even without Fintan Burke, and Duggan and Flannery will be two huge additions this year from last year's minors

• Closed Accounts Posts: 399 ✭✭leestone

Cooney was dropped as in the Leinster final he was cleaned outta of it and a decent amount of ball went into him

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,946 ✭✭✭threeball

https://www.rte.ie/sport/gaa/2019/0403/1040477-galway-rivals-licking-their-lips-at-no-joe-show/

Silly comments by O Connor. Wexford will have enough to do to beat this Galway team as it stands without giving them a poster to stick on the wall of the dressing room. Wouldn't think many will take kindly to the insinuation they were being carried.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,200 ✭✭✭✭RMAOK

https://www.rte.ie/sport/gaa/2019/0403/1040477-galway-rivals-licking-their-lips-at-no-joe-show/

Silly comments by O Connor. Wexford will have enough to do to beat this Galway team as it stands without giving them a poster to stick on the wall of the dressing room. Wouldn't think many will take kindly to the insinuation they were being carried.

In a roundabout way, it might be a source of inspiration for Galway. Or at least, it should be.

• Registered Users Posts: 934 ✭✭✭conor05

In fairnsss there is not much in that article. Rory O Connor would be as decent as they come and he acknowledged Joe was a class hurler and someone he looked up to.
    Sure every man, woman and child knows Joe is a huge loss to Galway and other teams will try and capitalize on that while he is out injured.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,210 ✭✭✭ClanofLams

O’Connor told the truth/was a bit naive. He should have given the boring stock answer about Galway having lots of great players, etc despite Canning obviously being a loss.

What he said was accurate, Canning has been carrying Galway forwards the last year or probably since the 2017 final but it was a bit foolish of him to point it out.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

ClanofLams wrote: »
    O’Connor told the truth/was a bit naive. He should have given the boring stock answer about Galway having lots of great players, etc despite Canning obviously being a loss.

What he said was accurate, Canning has been carrying Galway forwards the last year or probably since the 2017 final but it was a bit foolish of him to point it out.

Why should he give the boring stock answer?Isn't that what we're always complaining about re the guarded player interviews with the banal responses.

I admire his honesty and TBH there is little if anything to take offence at in that article.Joe Canning is obviously a huge loss and it's up to the other lads to prove what I believe we already know to be true,they aren't a one man team.I doubt Micheal O Donoghue and co will lose too much sleep re his comments.

Won't he be back post the Leinster championship?

seligehgit wrote: »
    Why should he give the boring stock answer?Isn't that what we're always complaining about re the guarded player interviews with the banal responses.

I admire his honesty and TBH there is little if anything to take offence at in that article.Joe Canning is obviously a huge loss and it's up to the other lads to prove what I believe we already know to be true,they aren't a one man team.I doubt Micheal O Donoghue and co will lose too much sleep re his comments.

There’s a reason boring stock answers are the norm though, they don’t provide opposition with any added motivation.

As said I agree his comments were fair enough and don’t think many Galway supporters will be put out by them but I could understand a few Galway forwards not being best pleased, regardless of how accurate his comments were.

IF they get out of Leinster......

ClanofLams wrote: »
    There’s a reason boring stock answers are the norm though, they don’t provide opposition with any added motivation.

As said I agree his comments were fair enough and don’t think many Galway supporters will be put out by them but I could understand a few Galway forwards not being best pleased, regardless of how accurate his comments were.

This is exactly it. Why when you get the advantage of not having to face Canning do you potentially throw it away by practically ensuring that Galway now earmark the wexford game to lay down a marker. Its a fairly safe bet that will be the result of his comments. Honest but naive.

RMAOK wrote: »
    IF they get out of Leinster......

I'd be shocked if they didn't come out of Leinster. I'll actually be shocked if they don't come top 2. Theres certainly better quality still in this galway team than the other Leinster teams have.

Theres certainly better quality still in this galway team than the other Leinster teams have.

On paper you're 100% right, but too many of them haven't been playing up yo potential in over a year. For some, I feel it's time to sh1t or get off the pot.

Maybe canning not being there might liberate some of them and not be going yo the fall back position of leaving it to canning.

• Advertisement

RMAOK wrote: »
    On paper you're 100% right, but too many of them haven't been playing up yo potential in over a year. For some, I feel it's time to sh1t or get off the pot.

Maybe canning not being there might liberate some of them and not be going yo the fall back position of leaving it to canning.

Yes but even not playing up to standard we stuffed wexford 3 weeks ago, kk have lost 2 lads to injury and Dublin have no forwards. If we come unstuck it will be from the quarters on.

Lets not get OTT now, its as certain as you can get that Galway will qualify out of Leinster with plenty to spare

I'd still be very surprised if Galway didn't win Leinster outright.

Anyone hitting any club matches this weekend? Great to have it back

Poor old Portumna look goosed altogether without the two JC's. Turlough could dish out a serious hiding there. Hard to see Sarsfields half as competitive without Joe Cooney either, great chance for Cappy there

Oranmore v Craughwell is an interesting one today. If Monaghan is out, I really don't see anything to fear in that Craughwell side anymore - they'll still be reliant on an ageing Niall Healy. Oranmore have some serious momentum and basically an identical side to the one that started the AI final

Mellows v Toms still the pick for me - mainly due to the unpredictable nature of Thomas's all of a sudden. Eanna and Fintan Burke two huge losses, and Regan a big doubt. Some character if they can get over last month and bounce back

jr86 wrote: »
    Lets not get OTT now, its as certain as you can get that Galway will qualify out of Leinster with plenty to spare

I'd still be very surprised if Galway didn't win Leinster outright.

Anyone hitting any club matches this weekend? Great to have it back

Poor old Portumna look goosed altogether without the two JC's. Turlough could dish out a serious hiding there. Hard to see Sarsfields half as competitive without Joe Cooney either, great chance for Cappy there

Oranmore v Craughwell is an interesting one today. If Monaghan is out, I really don't see anything to fear in that Craughwell side anymore - they'll still be reliant on an ageing Niall Healy. Oranmore have some serious momentum and basically an identical side to the one that started the AI final

Mellows v Toms still the pick for me - mainly due to the unpredictable nature of Thomas's all of a sudden. Eanna and Fintan Burke two huge losses, and Regan a big doubt. Some character if they can get over last month and bounce back

Surely this is one of the best opportunities for turlough to finally get their hands on a bit of silverware. No outstanding teams with most of the main contenders carrying injuries or aging players.
    Thomas's will do well to progress given all going on there.
    I think you're right about oranmore. They have great momentum coming in and the field having no real standout teams will give them a chance to progress and find their feet.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,792 ✭✭✭Happyilylost

threeball wrote:
    Surely this is one of the best opportunities for turlough to finally get their hands on a bit of silverware. No outstanding teams with most of the main contenders carrying injuries or aging players. Thomas's will do well to progress given all going on there. I think you're right about oranmore. They have great momentum coming in and the field having no real standout teams will give them a chance to progress and find their feet.

Thought Turlough were in the same boat last year. Felt they would win or go close at least. But the Achilles heel that they don't have enough natural forwards continues to haunt them. Maybe they can fit the pieces better this year. Hard to know who's in good shape. Top teams missing players. Middle of the pack team such as Cappy could go all the way.

Thought Turlough were in the same boat last year. Felt they would win or go close at least. But the Achilles heel that they don't have enough natural forwards continues to haunt them. Maybe they can fit the pieces better this year. Hard to know who's in good shape. Top teams missing players. Middle of the pack team such as Cappy could go all the way.

Well if this could stop playing ringers it would be a good start :D

Turlough cut loose as expected really.

Famous win for Oranmore. Their incredible run continues.

If you were told 2 years ago they could beat craughwell in a championship game...

Gort had a big win too, I wonder have they another push in them?

Thomas's are a really limited team even given the injuries. Mellows have no superstars either but have been schooling thomas's for 15 mins. Burke and Cooney virtually anonymous too which doesn't bode well for them having an impact for Galway in 4 weeks.
    Some nasty little strokes going in from both sides not being pulled up like chopping at hands etc.
    Gotta love a goalie in a Gilet :D

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

Both sides at it,in danger of getting out of hand.

Ridiculous the amount of people on the sidelines.

Both sides at it,in danger of getting out of hand.

Ridiculous the amount of people on the sidelines.

Unfortunately its rife in Galway club hurling and caused huge animosity throughout the county set ups for years. The better spread of players has helped in recent years.

• Advertisement

Thomas’s are a good team. Very difficult to go from all Ireland final three weeks ago to first round of county championship today.

Advertisement