Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker **Spoilers from post 2076**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,847 ✭✭✭py2006

I kinda feel sorry for the guy watching the trailer. We don't know what has him like that, he could be depressed and SW is his outlet, he could be autistic or have an intellectual disability or other developmental disorder.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,340 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

RayCun wrote: »
    Question it on what basis? That you don't think he'd be an effective leader? If you were in charge of the First Order, you wouldn't put him in charge? But you're not in charge :pac:

The scene has been set over the last two movies for a conflict between Ren and Hux - Vader and Tarkin writ small if you like. Ren more personally powerful but crazy, Hux a bit of an idiot but with the military bureaucracy behind him.

It isn't narratively important for the First Order to have an effective leader, and it wouldn't be unrealistic for an organisation to splinter into factions after the death of the leader.

Hux is bloody useless compared to Empire personnel in the original series.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,449 ✭✭✭tigger123

Yep, Human Resources in the The First Order just isn't cutting it these days.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,380 ✭✭✭kerplun k

py2006 wrote: »
    I kinda feel sorry for the guy watching the trailer. We don't know what has him like that, he could be depressed and SW is his outlet, he could be autistic or have an intellectual disability or other developmental disorder.

I wouldn't feel too sorry for him. He's probably just scored himself tickets to the premiere and a meet and greet with the cast. :D

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,671 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Just a heads up to be wary of spoilers. A lot of leaks for this starting to appear online. As with TFA, I'd say most of the script will be out there before long.

• Advertisement

Hamill more or less confirmed his appearance in IX as he stated on Seth Myers that he couldn't shave his beard for a current project because of a roll coming up with a wink wink.

I know this isn't groundbreaking news or anything but some people thought his appearance may be restricted to the voiceover.

SKip to 3:58

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

My issue with that character is that he's treated like he's double digit IQ comic relief.

Which'd be fine if he wasn't supposed to be the leader of a galactic army.

He's also massively inconsistent, writing wise. One minute he's genuinely intelligent with sharp dialogue, the next he's the village idiot.

TLJ in particular, TFA wasn't as bad in that regard.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭thegreengoblin

Just a heads up to be wary of spoilers. A lot of leaks for this starting to appear online. As with TFA, I'd say most of the script will be out there before long.

While I'm now used to spoilers and trying to avoid them, what really boils my urine is when people start speculating about the plot when they've already seen spoilers but dress it all up as 'informed' speculation.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Snow Garden

Spoilers you say? I think The Last Jedi was the ultimate spoiler. :(

Looks like Matt Smith will be in this

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Well as he's English there's a good chance it'll be as a First Order character, or probably the voice of an alien. Last time he was in a blockbuster, he got effectively written out (terminator genisys)

Poor Mark Hamill got into a sh1t load of trouble on Twitter for posting this:

https://twitter.com/HamillHimself/status/1121835018282627073

Poor Mark Hamill got into a sh1t load of trouble on Twitter for posting this:

https://twitter.com/HamillHimself/status/1121835018282627073

Why? Its photoshopped I assume, so what's the problem?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

Runaway hit highest gross beating The force Awakens
    tigger123 wrote: »
    For leaving Chewie out, I guess.

Maybe he was in the back looking at his medal. Oh... wait...

• Registered Users Posts: 18,961 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

The problem is Twitter and all the old maids who post on it.

• Site Banned Posts: 328 ✭✭ogsjw

Mark is such a sound lad. He's never pulled punches on how much of a let down Episodes VII and VIII were. He just doesn't give a fook, not even The Mouse scares him. Gives him so much ownership over the character of Luke, in my opinion. Never seen another actor own their character so much.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭Goodshape

Disappointing box office take less than a billion

People Twitter-people jumped to the conclusion that Mark Hamill saying "this would have been nice" is actually Mark Hamill saying "the new films are ****".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Twitter is a cesspit. I'm not big on social media but it's the worst of them for circle-jerk safe spaces for people to spout absolute crap.

Goodshape wrote: »
    People Twitter-people jumped to the conclusion that Mark Hamill saying "this would have been nice" is actually Mark Hamill saying "the new films are ****".

Ah.

While he is of course entitled to his opinion, and I am a big fan of Mark Hamill, his criticism of the new stuff never really sat right with me. I don't really feel that if you play a character in a franchise, your opinion holds anymore weight about the overall direction or storylines than anyone elses; Mark Hamill doesn't like elements of the new films ... I just shrug my shoulders at it. Maybe he shouldn't have taken payment for starring in them.

He is worth following on Instragram and seems like a thoroughly top bloke. He's a big, big fan of Rik Mayall and Adrian Edmonson.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

F*ck Twitter.

Sorry, I know that's neither insightful, original or conducive to the thread's subject, but needs to be said all the same. Only Facebook rivals it as something whose slim positives have become outweighed by its toxic corruption of basic (internet) decency.

edit: you could say there's ... no greater hive of scum & villainy ;)

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 328 ✭✭ogsjw

Goodshape wrote: »

Why would they need to jump anywhere when there are lengthy edits of Mark expressing displeasure about the new films freely available on YouTube? He doesn't rant and stays vague and comedic about it, but attributing it to Twitter boogiemen is just lazy, the likes that still use Twitter are more concerned with Rey being a girl therefore #metoo pandering, and there being a black stormtrooper...

While Harrison is still alive they need to go back and remake TLJ and release it before releasing the final movie

While Harrison is still alive they need to go back and remake TLJ and release it before releasing the final movie

But is Solo dead....?

But is Solo dead....?

No I mean go back and do a thorough complete remake with different script.

Actually remake is probably the wrong word. “Reboot” maybe?

No I mean go back and do a thorough complete remake with different script.

Actually remake is probably the wrong word. “Reboot” maybe?

I was referring to certain rumours.

Yea, TLJ was a mockery and two fingers to TFA and JJ Abrams. But a reboot won't happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,677 ✭✭✭Mr Crispy

He dies in TFA. How is rebooting/remaking TLJ going to change that?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

He dies in TFA. How is rebooting/remaking TLJ going to change that?

More importantly, Ford wouldn't agree to it.

I was referring to certain rumours.

Yea, TLJ was a mockery and two fingers to TFA and JJ Abrams. But a reboot won't happen.

Do you really believe that? Why would Disney and Kathleen Kennedy give the TLJ to someone who was going to set the direction of a movie based upon giving the two fingers to someone and the movie they directed?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

Do you really believe that? Why would Disney and Kathleen Kennedy give the TLJ to someone who was going to set the direction of a movie based upon giving the two fingers to someone and the movie they directed?

I'm betting the answer has something to do with "SJWs"

• Advertisement

Well they ignored Mark Hamill issues with it.

I just think he/they ruined what JJ set up with Rey and Luke.

Advertisement