Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker **Spoilers from post 2076**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,014 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

I don't like it either but it depends how they do it. If they are using him to supplant Kylo as the main villain again it'll be annoying. But I suspect he's just cameoing as a force ghost on the Death Star to explain that Snoke was his apprentice once or something. A bit of fan service to help to tie up some of those questions JJ created in TFA. However, fans will go crazy with all sort of ridiculous theories involving clones and reincarnation that won't pan out, so whatever his role is it will end up being a disappointment.

Aye, you're probably correct.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

Tony EH wrote: »
    I must be the only one that thinks bringing back Palpatine is a bad idea.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Yeah, first Abrams brings back a death star, now he brings back the emperor, and the title has it all about the Skywalkers, again.

Move on.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,533 ✭✭✭Inviere

RayCun wrote: »
    and the title has it all about the Skywalkers, again.

Move on.

Is the whole 9 episode saga though not more or less about the Skywalker lineage? From Anakin in Episode 1, to whoever, in Episode 9.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

Inviere wrote: »
    Is the whole 9 episode saga though not more or less about the Skywalker lineage? From Anakin in Episode 1, to whoever, in Episode 9.

Ren would be the last of them.

But when you hear that the Star Wars universe is so wide and interesting, and then you see the same things being repeated and the same characters returning...

The Last Jedi, whatever it's faults, imagined a wider universe, where people who weren't related to the Skywalkers were important, where it wasn't the same old battles being refaught.

RayCun wrote: »
    Ren would be the last of them.

Possibly, possibly not though. If it's Kylo the "Rise" is adhering to, then it suggests a shift from dark to light. This was on the cards since TFA, there was a very clear struggle within Kylo, which hasn't fully been resolved (despite his actions). I'm not sure I'd bet against a redemption story, not dissimilar to Vader/Anakin by the end of the film.
    But when you hear that the Star Wars universe is so wide and interesting, and then you see the same things being repeated and the same characters returning...

Indeed, I must admit I found TFA a near-reboot of ANH. I gave it somewhat of a free pass though, considering it had to continue the saga, but also lean heavily on nostalgic elements too in order to 'right the wrongs' of the prequel trilogy (whether it worked or not is very divisive). TLJ, I absolutely loved. Every minute of the film had me engrossed. So for me, I've thoroughly enjoyed what Disney/JJ/Johnson have done with the saga for the final trilogy of the main saga. Im optimistic, that IX will also blow me away, I'd goosebumps from head to toe watching a damned two minute teaser :o

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,502 ✭✭✭micks_address

Interesting to read that Abrams meet with Lucas before re rewiring the script..

http://collider.com/star-wars-the-rise-of-skywalker-george-lucas-involvement/

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,671 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

JJ on the challenges of this film:
    “This movie had a very, very specific challenge, which was to take eight films and give an ending to three trilogies, and so we had to look at, what is the bigger story? We had conversations amongst ourselves, we met with George Lucas before writing the script,” Abrams revealed. “These were things that were in real, not debate, but looking at the vastness of the story and trying to figure out, what is the way to conclude this? But it has to work on its own as a movie, it has to be its own thing, it has to be surprising and funny and you have to understand it.”

This is dumb. It didn't need to be an ending to three trilogies, just this one. I don't trust JJ to end this trilogy, never mind the previous two, which already had endings. All I'm seeing here is: we doubled down on the nostalgia with this one.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

Disappointing box office take less than a billion
    Inviere wrote: »
    If Luke has learned this, could that be the reveal when he says “no one is ever truly gone?”

I think "No one is ever truly gone" is a middle finger to Rian's "Let the past die, kill it if you have to."

• Registered Users Posts: 1,726 ✭✭✭Rubber_Soul

Interesting to read that Abrams meet with Lucas before re rewiring the script..

http://collider.com/star-wars-the-rise-of-skywalker-george-lucas-involvement/

He met with Lucas before Ep7 and Lucas said they ignored everything he suggested.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭tigger123

Really looking forward to this.

The idea that either Rey or Kylo are the Skywalker in the title feels a little obvious. I wonder will it end up referring to something else entirely.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,671 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Kirby wrote: »
    I think "No one is ever truly gone" is a middle finger to Rian's "Let the past die, kill it if you have to."

That was never the message of TLJ, that’s just what Kylo (the villain) says. A perspective which Rey rejects. “No one is ever really gone” is actually Rian’s dialogue. Luke says it to Leia in TLJ and it seems JJ liked it enough to reuse it in episode 9.

• Registered Users Posts: 626 ✭✭✭Wedwood

Just on Leia's piece, all of the original actors including Mark Hamill, Harrison Ford and Carrie Fisher had their faces digitally scanned for future use while filming The Force Awakens.

These avatars will be used in future Star Wars movies, probably starting with this movie, given there's also rumours of Han Solo appearing.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

Runaway hit highest gross beating The force Awakens
    Have to say the new trailer is garbage.
    The laugh at the end was just facepalm inducing.

And.. 'the Rise of Skywalker'? What the hell? Surely Skywalker is synonymous with Luke, and his rise was surely in the OT.

I dunno :/

TomSweeney wrote: »

That was really good.

J Mysterio wrote: »
    The laugh at the end was just facepalm inducing.

A character that's been in six of the eight saga films thus far, in a saga that has shown force users live on after death. Is it really that hard to believe? Considering the very master of said character was said to have the ability to use the force to create life itself, well, anything's possible really.
    And.. 'the Rise of Skywalker'? What the hell? Surely Skywalker is synonymous with Luke, and his rise was surely in the OT.

Synonymous yes, but not all encompassing. The whole saga is really about the Skywalker lineage, from the very beginning with Shmi Skywalker, to Anakin, to Luke & Leia, to Kylo (and beyond possibly). For me, "Rise" suggests a continuation of the family name in the form of good triumphing over evil, it still could be many possible things.

I do be genuinely surprised/amazed at just how many people are so quite off the mark to write an entire 2+ hour film off, based on 124 seconds of teaser footage. Not aimed at you J, but many of the comments thus far have appeared quite cynical over what's really very, very little known.

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭JuanBerrosa

Sorry what's MCU ?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,909 ✭✭✭nix

Sorry what's MCU ?

Marvel comics universe :pac:

Well, looks like Palpatine is definitely in this. Feels quite spoilery, like I know the whole plot already.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,909 ✭✭✭nix

Here's hoping we see a force ghost light saber duel, that'd be cool and new...right?! :rolleyes:

It's sad to see the care they took with planning out and executing the MCU movies, and the best they can do here is beautiful sh!t movies :eek::(

• Registered Users Posts: 33,188 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

What did McDiarmid say in that clip, can't make it out?

Anyone else find it a bit cringe seeing adults roar and shout like that about a SW film? (I suppose they are likely Americans, they do that sort of thing).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,317 ✭✭✭AllForIt

NIMAN wrote: »

Anyone else find it a bit cringe seeing adults roar and shout like that about a SW film? (I suppose they are likely Americans, they do that sort of thing).

He said "Play it again" or something to that effect, in relation to the trailer, which they did.

Yes and yes it's an American thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭Relikk

NIMAN wrote: »

"Roll it again."

Yeah it's extremely cringe. Lucasfilm logo... "WHOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!" :rolleyes:

Relikk wrote: »
    Yeah it's extremely cringe. Lucasfilm logo... "WHOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!" :rolleyes:

Takes some doing to overtake E3 in the cringefest competition, this kinda does though :o

• Registered Users Posts: 3,072 ✭✭✭ThePott

• Registered Users Posts: 8,478 ✭✭✭brianregan09

Leave them off there happy , would you rather everyone in the world be miserable ?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

Disappointing box office take less than a billion
    Leave them off there happy , would you rather everyone in the world be miserable ?

Yes. People should feel the same apathy and disdain for things that I have. :P

• Registered Users Posts: 8,810 ✭✭✭Hector Savage

J Mysterio wrote: »
    Well, looks like Palpatine is definitely in this. Feels quite spoilery, like I know the whole plot already.

Jesus Christ, look I'm happy that the character is back in IX ... but grown adults acting like kids ??

WTAF .... It's true what they say, childhood is going on into the 30s nowadays.
    humanity is ****ed, we need a galactic war...

• Registered Users Posts: 33,188 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

To be fair to those whooping and cheering, it is America after all (I assume this was in the US). Americans have form. I imagine that was a hall full of comic book guy characters from the Simpsons.

I myself was a massive SW nerd when I was younger and the initial films were out. Thing is, I'm a grown up adult now, and stopped acting the eejit decades ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭tigger123

I love the idea of Palpatine playing a significant role in Episode IX. It may well be an excellent way to draw all 9 episodes together and solidify the entire series into one cohesive story.

That he was the real villain behind it all in the new films would be such a great development.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Jesus Christ, look I'm happy that the character is back in IX ... but grown adults acting like kids ??

WTAF .... It's true what they say, childhood is going on into the 30s nowadays.
    humanity is ****ed, we need a galactic war...

Americans, especially film & convention audiences, are not shy about vocalising their enthusiasm. They are the ones who'll applaud at the end of a film after all.

But at the same time, what's wrong with maintaining a little childish enthusiasm for a hobby or pastime anyway? Whooping like that isn't my bag, but I don't look down on any adult who has remembered how to enjoy the little things in the way we used to as children.

Advertisement