Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker **Spoilers from post 2076**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭thegreengoblin

radonicus wrote: »
    Indeed, what's that in aid of?

Excellent trailer. Mind you, the trailer for TLJ was great too so we'll see.

So was the feckin Phantom Menace trailer and we all know how that turned out!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,195 ✭✭✭TomSweeney

https://youtu.be/1bpYrorflrQ

Here is a breakdown by one of my fav. SW channels.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭Relikk

TomSweeney wrote: »

Really decent for a fan film

He released a tiny teaser for episode 2 yesterday. Apparently the first one cost him $160,000. The second one is $250,000.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,671 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

A few people have reported this thread for spoilers. Do we need to put a spoiler warning in the thread title... for a trailer?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,502 ✭✭✭micks_address

Feicin spine tingling.. I wish Abrams did all three... Can't wait till Christmas now

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

Runaway hit highest gross beating The force Awakens
    pixelburp wrote: »
    One thing I'll say in the favour of the prequels, Lucas at least tried to expand the aesthetics of the series, bring new designs and colours to the look of the franchise. Naboo, and their tech, looked beautiful, the art deco styling of their ships particularly striking. There has been nothing in these new films to rival that variation of design, leaning on nostalgia for the same look and feel with everything .
    I think that's valid. Lucas went all out on the universe expansion. The problem was too much CGi, awful dialogue, and bad acting (possibly as a result of latter). And trade disputes. But, yeah, he did not hold back on world building.

Penn wrote: »
    I don't know. I know TLJ was divisive and Abrams was brought back to re-right the ship, but I really hope this isn't to ROTJ what TFA was to ANH. There's a lot of different directions they could have gone after TLJ without going backwards.
    TFA was already borrowing strongly from ROTJ.... raiding party to bring the shields down to open the 'death star' to rebel attack?

As long as we don't have a rescue of Poe from gangster Shabba the Rutt, we'll be okay. Though I do yearn for a good Sarlacc.
    A few people have reported this thread for spoilers. Do we need to put a spoiler warning in the thread title... for a trailer?
    A teaser trailer at that.... ridiculous. You've no business in here discussing a movie 8 months away if you're allergic to released footage or plot speculation.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

I'll spoiler tag this, just because of those giving out.

Hint: There will be discussion and potential spoilers in this thread in the future ffs.
    That laugh at the end of the trailer really got me

Can David75 be unbanned now ?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Screw it, it was Palpatine. And with Ian McDiarmid taking to the stage afterwards, there can be no doubt.

Begs the question if it's a force ghost or the real deal; the latter might be possible, as IIRC he returned in the (now defunct) canon from the novels/comics, via the SciFi magic of cloning (fun fact, an evil Luke Skywalker clone was also made, hilariously named Luuke. Yes, really)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,398 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

So Luke is gonna do a resurrection and the emperor is the ultimate foe

In that breakdown video he mentions Palpatine was in the first Aftermath book ?
    isn't aftermath set between ROTJ and TFA ?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,533 ✭✭✭Inviere

pixelburp wrote: »
    Screw it, it was Palpatine. And with Ian McDiarmid taking to the stage afterwards, there can be no doubt.

Bgs the question if it's a force ghost or the real deal; the latter might be possible, as IIRC he returned in the (now defunct) canon from the novels/comics, via the SciFi magic of cloning (fun fact, an evil Luke Skywalker clone was also made, hilariously named Luuke. Yes, really)

It brings a whole new weight to the brilliant opera scene in RotS. If Palpatine did indeed learn the secrets of Plageuis, it begs the question, could he, as a force ghost, influence the force to ‘create life’, and indeed a new form for himself (could Snoke have been a vessel for him)? If Luke has learned this, could that be the reveal when he says “no one is ever truly gone?”

• Registered Users Posts: 8,317 ✭✭✭AllForIt

My interest in this has been ignited by the news of the return of Ian McDiarmid which came as a complete surprise. His performance as The Emperor for me personally was one of my favorite from the original trilogy especially in ROTJ, and I just love The Emperor's menacing voice! I always though he was killed a little too easily by Vadar cause all he did was throw him down the whatever and you'd think with all that power he'd be able to survive that. I was actually disappointed he was killed as he was such a great character and I though Ian played him brilliantly.

This gives me an excuse to repeat this - I was sitting in a pub with a mate of mine in Covent Garden central London (theater land) some time ago and as we sat there looking out the windows onto the bustling street my mate got suddenly excited and pointed out to me that one of the 2 men who just passed by on the pavement outside was Ian McDiarmid, The Emperor! I got quite excited myself and took a good look. I actually didn't know of the actor at the time but I was just so excited that I'd just seen The Emperor! Indeed it was him. Not too long later the Queen of England passed by in a horse drawn carriage on an official visit to the theatre. We were both chuffed to bits to have seen The Emperor and The Queen on the same day within minutes of other whilst merely guzzling pints in a pub!

McDiarmid was one of the few saving graces of the prequel trilogy, also. Everyone loved Palpatine before the prequels came out, but his performances in the prequels really elevated the character to legendary status.

• Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭RickBlaine

It is obvious that this a sequel to The Force Awakens moreso than The Last Jedi. There is no way Rian Johnson would have brought back Palpy or Lando if he was also in charge of episode 9.

That's the biggest problem I have with The Last Jedi. It just doesn't feel like the continuation of the story started in The Force Awakens. And now that it is sandwiched between the two Abrams movies, it is going to seem like even more of a black sheep. I think that is fault with Kathleen Kennedy. She should have ensured the integrity of the story once Johnson was brought on board. Say what you like about the MCU, at least at all feels connected and part of a larger intertwined narrative, which after 22 movies, really is a credit to Feige.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,014 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

Some thoughts on the possible meaning of the title:

- Luke comes back to life (ugh)

- Anakin comes back to life (ugh)

- Skywalker is the name for the new Jedi order (ugh)

- Rey is actually Luke's daughter or Ben's sister or the reincarnation/clone of etc etc (ugh)

- Rey (as I've speculated before) adopts the name Skywalker because she's an orphan and the closest thing Luke has to an heir.

They're making Rey a Skywalker.

And yes...ugh.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,503 ✭✭✭brevity

“A thousand generations now live in you”

Rey is a Skywalker and is pregnant with twins.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,533 ✭✭✭Inviere

brevity wrote: »
    “A thousand generations now live in you”

Rey is a Skywalker and is pregnant with twins.

Or a thousand generations of Jedi, being she's the final one?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

Relikk wrote: »
    McDiarmid was one of the few saving graces of the prequel trilogy, also. Everyone loved Palpatine before the prequels came out, but his performances in the prequels really elevated the character to legendary status.

Agree totally. He was an exceptional villains and possibly the best thing about the prequels. His fight with Yoda was deadly. I’ve listened to a Palpatine book on his backstory (Darth plagueis) and he’s a wickedly wonderful character.

I’d love if they bring him back.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,188 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Anyone think we'll see some more big deaths in this one?

I can see Leia being killed off, for obvious reasons.

But since its the last SW, could we possibly see Rey or Kylo Ren biting the bullet? Or will it be too risky with future sequels being in the making?

Perhaps middle level characters like Poe Dameron or Finn?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,778 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

Kylo is a skywalker

• Registered Users Posts: 2,388 ✭✭✭PhiloCypher

Inviere wrote: »
    Or a thousand generations of Jedi, being she's the final one?

Final jedi with any sort of training.

I must be the only one that thinks bringing back Palpatine is a bad idea.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

• Registered Users Posts: 2,388 ✭✭✭PhiloCypher

Tony EH wrote: »

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Are we really surprised tho given this franchises obsession with zeroxing it's past (to an almost pathological degree) like its some sort literary stroke of genius.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I think bringing him back in a physical form would be a bad idea. I'd have no problem with an ethereal form, like a force ghost or a force echo. It shouldn't be limited to the light side. In the EU literature and in some games there were lots of ancient Sith lord force ghosts. But Rian Johnson really screwed with them by giving them powers, like what happened with Yoda and the tree. Ugh.

Another possibility is a form trapped between existences where he can inhabit a body and take it over. Something like Anubis in Stargate SG-1. The body starts to die over time because of the scale of the dark side corruption, which means having to find another body. But its been done. I hope they don't do that.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,671 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I don't like it either but it depends how they do it. If they are using him to supplant Kylo as the main villain again it'll be annoying. But I suspect he's just cameoing as a force ghost on the Death Star to explain that Snoke was his apprentice once or something. A bit of fan service to help to tie up some of those questions JJ created in TFA. However, fans will go crazy with all sort of ridiculous theories involving clones and reincarnation that won't pan out, so whatever his role is it will end up being a disappointment.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,502 ✭✭✭micks_address

If only JJ brought back jar jar...

But Rian Johnson really screwed with them by giving them powers, like what happened with Yoda and the tree. Ugh.

That was just such a bad idea, in a long list of bad ideas in that movie.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

I think bringing him back in a physical form would be a bad idea. I'd have no problem with an ethereal form, like a force ghost or a force echo. It shouldn't be limited to the light side. In the EU literature and in some games there were lots of ancient Sith lord force ghosts. But Rian Johnson really screwed with them by giving them powers, like what happened with Yoda and the tree. Ugh.

I don't really see that being a problem. They can hand wave it as only working because that place was uniquely tied to the light side.

Advertisement