Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vikings on RTE?

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭Lapin

Neither is Lawrence from Trivia ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 466 ✭✭strongback

A bit violent for the general audience I reckon. Throw in a bit of sacrilege and rape for good measure and I'm guessing RTE will get a few complaints.

These serial shows have gone more and for the lowest common denominator as the years have gone on.

You won't get Tony Soprano or Omar Little showing such lack of class.

strongback wrote: »
    A bit violent for the general audience I reckon. Throw in a bit of sacrilege and rape for good measure and I'm guessing RTE will get a few complaints.

These serial shows have gone more and for the lowest common denominator as the years have gone on.

It goes out after the watershed and has been broadcast before on other stations so those who complain have little grounds for doing so.

As for the violence, sacrilege and rape - Its about Vikings, not the Legion of Mary.

Comparisons with The Sopranos and The Wire are a bit silly really. Different eras and values.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭Mech1

Ragnar is played by Travis Fimmel

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm1379938/

• Registered Users Posts: 16,310 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

strongback wrote: »

Thats what the Vikings did, they robbed monasteries and killed the monks, also this it supposed to be over a thousand years ago, women weren't treated very well and certainly not slave women which I assume is the rape scene you are referring to.

• Advertisement

Lapin wrote: »
    It goes out after the watershed and has been broadcast before on other stations so those who complain have little grounds for doing so.

As for the violence, sacrilege and rape - Its about Vikings, not the Legion of Mary.

Comparisons with The Sopranos and The Wire are a bit silly really. Different eras and values.

The Soprano's/ Wire line was tongue in cheek.

I still think the graphic gratuitous violence took away from show. It was too obviously the selling point for the show. Hopefully the story writing improves in the second episode.

Thats what the Vikings did, they robbed monasteries and killed the monks, also this it supposed to be over a thousand years ago, women weren't treated very well and certainly not slave women which I assume is the rape scene you are referring to.

It isn't necessary to be crudely graphic about sexual and violent acts to make a good show.

There are some bizarre sex acts I would not want to see depicted on screen no matter how apparently crucial they were to the story.

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭thesaurus2

It's not the greatest tv series in the world, but it's another one of those great opportunities for the family to play "spot the Irish actor" so this is compulsory viewing at ours now. Great to see the lad from Zonad get a role.

(I was sure I saw the singer from The Stunning on Sunday?)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,189 ✭✭✭corkie

First two episodes been re-shown tonight Saturday 08/02/1014 @23:10 on RTE 2

And a catchup episode every Saturday Night, I think!

The Digital Services Act 2024 [EU] ~ Social Media and You ~ Nanny State guidance for parental monitoring of apps ~ Censorship: - broad laws that will probably effect Adult use of same.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Are RTE broadcasting the unrated version or something? :confused:

Vikings, by the standards of other TV shows, is incredibly tame in content. Crudely graphic and violent? I honestly thought Vikings was neither of those at all, in fact, there was no actual nudity in the show at all (the unrated blu-ray has some), and the violence was very PG13, almost always suggestive rather than actually graphic...

God forbid you ever watch Spartacus, that'll teach you a thing or two about gratuitous nudity and violence....

I dunno what you expect, for there to be zero violence or sexual implication in the show? Not sure how that would work for a show about the Vikings....but as it is, Vikings is very tame, still a good show though.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,223 ✭✭✭orangesoda

I have only seen the 1st episode, i enjoyed the line 'i want to ride you like a bull, a wild bull'.
    I read that it is canadian-irish, i cant help but think they should be saving their money to actually make a drama on irish mythology or something

Feckin started early tonight. :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,892 ✭✭✭spank_inferno

Ragnar's fake blue contacts are distracting against something filmed on a different colour palette.

Had to laugh at the monk reading his bible while Ragnar and thw wife were shaggin in the next room, then out they come and ask him to join in.

He had fair willpower to go back to his prayers after a woman like that showed him a bit of leg :P

• Registered Users Posts: 3,165 ✭✭✭Savage Tyrant

3 episodes in and I'm hooked.
    Granted, it's not going to go down as an all time classic, but it is enjoyable.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,472 ✭✭✭Missyelliot2

Was Carrie Crowley (ex RTE presenter) the missus of one of the Viking Plunders?
    Enjoying it, but would prefer if it was a little less gruesome........am lightweight in the gruesome dept!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

yes carrie crowley, fine lookin woman

• Registered Users Posts: 1,180 ✭✭✭EyeSight

i am finding this extremely boring. I get that shows don't need to be all action, i usually prefer that. But it only works when there are interesting scenes in between!
    So far i couldn't tell you much about any characters or even to summarise any episode i would struggle to pick much
    does this get better?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

EyeSight wrote: »
    i am finding this extremely boring. I get that shows don't need to be all action, i usually prefer that. But it only works when there are interesting scenes in between!
    So far i couldn't tell you much about any characters or even to summarise any episode i would struggle to pick much
    does this get better?

I'm on EP7, it gets much better. Stick it out, I'm loving it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,133 ✭✭✭FloatingVoter

Yeah stick with it...snakes and massgoing spoilers follow :
    You will discover why going to mass every Sunday is hilarious to Viking raiders ...and why pissing off English tribal kings leads to Indiana Jones-style nightmares

• Advertisement

I wonder if the Viking women were really as attractive as Ragnars wife, she is a real temptress as well as the earls wife

also, ragnor looks quite like conor mcgregor

• Registered Users Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭MonkstownHoop

If anyone enjoyed Bad Ass Ben Bailey in Amber you should stick with this :pac::D;)

• Registered Users Posts: 520 ✭✭✭Zymurgist

Will season 2 be shown on the History channel here at the same time as the US? which is Feb 27th according to IMDB.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,181 ✭✭✭ZeroThreat

orangesoda wrote: »
    I wonder if the Viking women were really as attractive as Ragnars wife, she is a real temptress as well as the earls wife

also, ragnor looks quite like conor mcgregor

highly unlikely, I'd imagine most people back then had rotten teeth if they managed to survived into adulthood. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,986 ✭✭✭conorhal

Had to laugh at the monk reading his bible while Ragnar and thw wife were shaggin in the next room, then out they come and ask him to join in.

He had fair willpower to go back to his prayers after a woman like that showed him a bit of leg :P

I suspect that he was too terrified that Ragnar might shout 'my turn' after he'd finished, and he wouldn't mean it regards his wife.... :D

It would be great if we got a few seasons out of this, every episode is cranking the action up a notch.

I've just finished watching the series, the surprise night time attack in the 7th episode is similar to the Battle of Knockavoe in 1522, the O'Neills had camped outside Strabane waiting to attack the O'Donnells, the O'Donnells attacked during the night and killed 900 men, a mixture of O'Neills, Connachtmen, Munstermen, MacDonnells and Englishmen

• Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

its growing on me, usually don't like historical drama series but this is intriguging

love the battle scenes gruesome & brutal just like what it was, and it doesn't try to soften the vikings image which is a pleasant change

its braveheart meets gladiator meets excalibur

• Closed Accounts Posts: 944 ✭✭✭jenjenten

can anyone say if the rte version is unedited?....the US History channel version was heavily edited, which became apparent with the blu-ray release....anyone confirm?

• Advertisement

jenjenten wrote: »
    can anyone say if the rte version is unedited?....the US History channel version was heavily edited, which became apparent with the blu-ray release....anyone confirm?

It doesn't look like it was edited to me anyway, tbf to RTE they do have a good record of showing programmes and films as they were made, with a warning beforehand that the content is suitable for an older audience.

Advertisement