Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

22 syrian families arrive in ireland, then what?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,317 ✭✭✭jmreire

road_high wrote: »
    Which absolutely is what should be encouraged and supported - I’m sure most of them want to settle back to their own country. Not some strange country they’ve no connection or affinity towards, lacking the resources to soak up an influx long term

As I have said earlier, most will return home when the conditions are right. Certainly, a % will remain, but they are different in the sense that they were displaced by war, not economic necessity. People driven out by economic conditions, will not return home.
    If it takes a long time before Syria returns to anything resembling normality, then of course some of these refugees will put down roots, and remain. By the time that happens, they will be well integrated

• Registered Users Posts: 4,424 ✭✭✭McGiver

2-3 years ago yes, but the war is over. There are only small pocket's that still have activity.

Total bollocks. War is over - you mean Asad with the help of the Russians are near a total victory? Which left hundreds of thousands civilians dead, the country razed to the ground and totally destroyed - materially, politically, socially and economically. Millions internally displaced and millions fled the country.

Nobody sane will return to this country if Asad achieves total victory.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,904 ✭✭✭mgn

I see a lot of the welcoming type on here as usual.Bet there not from county that has become a dumping ground from them.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

enricoh wrote: »
    After a brief stint in mosney, some quango will compete with working couples renting or buying the few houses available locally. Only one winner there!

They won't ever see the inside of mosney they will be housed immediately by local authorities no 10 year waiting on housing lists like the 100,000 families currently waiting to be housed

• Registered Users Posts: 38 2019

_Kaiser_ wrote: »
    The financial crisis you mean? The most expensive favour in Irish history. Don't let all the good news Recovery stories fool you - this country is still up to its neck in debt and right on course to repeat the same mistakes of a decade ago.

As I said above, providing a temporary sanctuary for genuine cases I have no problem with so long as it's within our real ability to provide .. but that's as far as it goes

No, when we had to emigrate to all corners of the world. And even during the troubles, many a dollar was sent home to help us Irish. One of the us wealthiest men help build this countries colleges. Help from outside sources!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

toyotafan wrote: »
    I dont like muslim and most of them are. Rape, killed would be a problem when they came. I could see from Germany. Dont know what to do if this happened in our lovely country. Many Irish people dont have house but these people will have "permanent housing" as a funny sound. I met a family in Galway, I think from Syria. They were living in a hotel and got money from Irish govermemt for one year while waiting for their papers. The man said, they would have a Stamp 4 residence permit.

From your use of English, I reckon you're not Irish either!

Had my hair cut recently by a Syrian. Nice guy and did a good job.

2019 wrote: »
    No, when we had to emigrate to all corners of the world. And even during the troubles, many a dollar was sent home to help us Irish. One of the us wealthiest men help build this countries colleges. Help from outside sources!

Yes.And when we emigrated we earned what we got.No free houses and dole in my day anyways.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,487 ✭✭✭Mutant z

Its time for them to return and help rebuild their own country they surely don't expect to remain here permanently.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,929 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

22 families isn't a lot

• Registered Users Posts: 19,388 ✭✭✭✭road_high

These are people in desperate need of help. I welcome my government for letting them in. Forget about the politics of this situation and think about the human need. Their country has been devastated by war and its these people , the innocent that is suffering. It wasnt that to long ago us Irish needed help from the international community.

Syrians yes, in the main.
    Albanians, South Africans, Brazilians, Georgians make up a huge cohort of our so called “refugee” tally. This is what you call riding the system and the generosity of the Irish state and taxpayer. Seems anyone can rock up here and shout “I’m a refugee” with some cock and bull story and we have to accommodate them at least until the system proves their claim is bogus. Then appeal after appeal.
    The system needs radical overhaul as it’s being severely undermined by these chancers and undermining what are genuine refugees in other instances.
    Quick decision and immediate return of bogus claimants.

• Advertisement

22 families isn't a lot

It is in a small town.Not in a city.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,715 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

This tired old argument again...

The Irish who went out, went out to work or they starved. No welfare state to support them in those days

It was also a very different era, when illiterate but good at manual labour lads and girls could find work to support themselves. This isn't the case anymore in a country that is hugely dependent on the service/knowledge economy, and I think we've reached saturation point for coffee shops at this stage.

No one has any issue with genuine refugees (as I defined above), but those are the minority of those flooding Europe in the last few years. It's those welfare tourists and economic migrants that offer nothing except a further drain on already stretched and insufficient resources that people have an issue with.

Hope that helps.

2-3 years ago yes, but the war is over. There are only small pocket's that still have activity.

Richard the war in Syria is far from over., sure a lot the heavy fighting is finished (for now) But you have Erdogan preparing for a major assault on the Kurdish areas in Syria.. Turkey would like very much not alone to destroy the YPG, but also annex a nice piece of Syrian real estate in the process. Some how, I don't think that the Assad family will take too kindly to....plus Israel launched major attacks on Hezbollah positions in and around Damascus in the last few days.. and more are promised. So, no the war is not over in Syria.
    But even if it was finished, what is there to go back to? Most of the Cities have a large percentage destroyed, literally not a stone left upon a stone , No infrastructure, schools, hospitals etc. Lots of area's mined. Underground water systems destroyed from the bombing, and as for industry and jobs?? it will be a long time before Syria is even remotely " Normal" again.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,715 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

22 families isn't a lot

But see that's half the problem... 22 here, 42 there, 18 somewhere else.

Drip-drip-drip. With no follow-up as to how many family members join them, whether they find work or become entirely welfare dependent, if they integrate or return home, and just how many we're talking about overall or how much it costs and what other services have been cut or curtailed to fund it.

Questioning this at all of course is shouted down by the right-on types (keen to show each other how virtuous they are!) but before you know it, your 22 is hundreds, then thousands and with no end in sight and no plan beyond "be grand!" and high-fiving each other.

That needs to change... rapidly!

The Irish in the USA or England worked their holes off in often menial roles- there was absolutely no welfare or state funded direct provision with everything provided plus some spending money courtesy of the host tax payer. You worked or starved.
    We also had deep historical and social ties to these countries. Comparing our history of migration to present day refugee migration to Ireland is comparing apples and oranges

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,487 ✭✭✭Mutant z

22 families isn't a lot

It will be by the time they bring all the rest of them along then suddenly that supposedly small figure will not look so small once you invite some others will inevitablly follow then you are left with an uncontrollable situation and a whole heap of problems it will bring so foots need to be firmly stamped on the ground to stop it from happening.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,007 ✭✭✭s7ryf3925pivug

Isis are monstrous beyond what I thought existed before they emerged... Assad has killed about 1000 civilians via chemical weapons alone... I would have thought that people fleeing Syria would be some of the most credible and sympathetic figures you could find. But here there appears to be fears that they will be slightly detrimental to the economy.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭Sweetemotion

Isis are monstrous beyond what I thought existed before they emerged... Assad has killed about 1000 civilians via chemical weapons alone... I would have thought that people fleeing Syria would be some of the most credible and sympathetic figures you could find. But here there appears to be fears that they will be slightly detrimental to the economy.

Assad never killed anyone via chemical weapons. Those refugees probably voted for him. I'm pretty sure they're glad Hilary didn't win other wise they would be sold as slaves instead of being relocated.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 198 ✭✭0cp71eyxkb94qf

These are people in desperate need of help. I welcome my government for letting them in. Forget about the politics of this situation and think about the human need. Their country has been devastated by war and its these people , the innocent that is suffering. It wasnt that to long ago us Irish needed help from the international community.

Have them live in your back yard then.

So open the floodgates, don’t bother with vetting or scrutiny?
    The problem has been that there’s been waves of other economic migrants (invariably men) from Africa and the middle east, zilch to do with Syrian conflict, mixed in with genuine refugees. The nations of Europe cannot simply take in all these from an economic and social standpoint. If it had just been the Syrians then we could have coped and helped more practically.
    What we can’t do is take in economic migrants from all and sundry

• Advertisement

So open the floodgates, don’t bother with vetting or scrutiny?
    The problem has been that there’s been waves of other economic migrants (invariably men) from Africa and the middle east, zilch to do with Syrian conflict, mixed in with genuine refugees. The nations of Europe cannot simply take in all these from an economic and social standpoint. If it had just been the Syrians then we could have coped and helped more practically.
    What we can’t do is take in economic migrants from all and sundry

For the Syrians at least that we have been receiving in Ireland, they have all been vetted and come from refugee camps in Lebanon.
    As for all the others, Thank you Frau Merkel. But even now I think that because there was such a backlash in Germany ( and Europe too) Frau Merkel is having 2nd ( and possibly 3rd ) thoughts,because they have started "Repatriating", particularly the law breakers, back to their Countries of origin, and in Germany there will not be appeal after appeal, as happens here.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Use_of_chemical_weapons_in_the_Syrian_Civil_War

They used chemical weapons a great many times in attacks on their own people.

The Clinton slavery thing I assume is CT nonsense.

The capability for vetting might be limited. In theory I agree but it’s probably impractical.

Economic migrants are irrelevant. Syrians are not just economic migrants. Completely separate.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭Sweetemotion

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Use_of_chemical_weapons_in_the_Syrian_Civil_War

They used chemical weapons a great many times in attacks on their own people.

The Clinton slave thing I assume is CT nonsense.

The capability for vetting might be limited. In theory I agree but it’s probably impractical.

Economic migrants are irrelevant. Syrians are not just economic migrants. Completely separate.

Wikipedia.
    No slave trade Libya.
    Sure just let everyone in.

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭anotherfinemess

Mutant z wrote: »
    22 families isn't a lot

It will be by the time they bring all the rest of them along then suddenly that supposedly small figure will not look so small once you invite some others will inevitablly follow then you are left with an uncontrollable situation and a whole heap of problems it will bring so foots need to be firmly stamped on the ground to stop it from happening.

50 years ago there weren't that many non europeans in the UK. Now look at the ghetto culture in most cities there - do we want that for our next generation?

50 years ago there weren't that many non europeans in the UK. Now look at the ghetto culture in most cities there - do we want that for our next generation?

Apparently if you only want limited, genuine needs based sensible migration you’re a racist.

Wikipedia.
    No slave trade Libya.
    Sure just let everyone in.
    I assume connecting Clinton with the slave trade in Libya is CT nonsense.

Yes Wikipedia, it provides sources for everything it lays out in that article, much better than anything I could compile here.

22 refugee families from Syria is not “everyone”.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,962 ✭✭✭Mr. teddywinkles

Explain. Howin a n name of fook that the wider world intervined

• Registered Users Posts: 11,484 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

Immigration in the UK over the past 50 years is the trade-off from being a former colonial power. Absolutely unrelated to taking in a relatively small number of refugees from a warzone.

• Registered Users Posts: 38 2019

The Irish in the USA or England worked their holes off in often menial roles- there was absolutely no welfare or state funded direct provision with everything provided plus some spending money courtesy of the host tax payer. You worked or starved.
    We also had deep historical and social ties to these countries. Comparing our history of migration to present day refugee migration to Ireland is comparing apples and oranges

If these people are allowed to work, they will put alot of irish to shame!

• Advertisement

If these people are allowed to work, they will put alot of irish to shame!

Sure...!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement