Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Gangland Shootings [Mod Note in Post #1]

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭Das Reich

imme wrote: »
    They were mentioned by a poster in a previous page as being more prolific than Nigerians in terms of more and more arriving.

Brazilians were of course brought over to work in the beef sector as you say. Thanks.

The more recent Brazilians coming to Ireland are 'students' of English.

There were 9,225 Brazilians 'studying' English in Ireland in recent years.

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/ireland/irish-news/brazil-tops-league-of-non-eu-students-in-ireland-1.2981494

Yes I know. I tend to avoid those students as they are urban and from middle higher class and call us "caipira" (the same as "culchie"), but those people are harmless, they can't even cook because they had a maid (something common in Brazil), and most of them use drugs. They also love to fly to other european countries and post their pictures to show how happy they are. And despite going to school their english is very poor, I never went a single day to school here and arrived with very little vocabulary, yet I can communicate better than them.

The Brazilians that work in meat factories across rural Ireland are the opposite of those students. Usually religious Christians from poor stratum, humble and friendly people that behave and affraid of losing their job.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭donkeykong5

flanzer wrote: »
    When Paul Williams used to write for the Sunday world a few years ago I thought he was absolutely brilliant.

Hi Paul!
    I said a few years ago
    Before the carters took over the paper.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭Gadgetman496

What's the story with Alan ''Fat Puss'' Bradley now, is he still with us, in or out or what?

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 746 ✭✭✭GinAndBitter

What's the story with Alan ''Fat Puss'' Bradley now, is he still with us, in or out or what?

He's out, quiet man these days.

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,211 ✭✭✭✭Suckit

Those photos were in the paper the other day (The one without the helmet definitely was).

Very sad about John Lawless. I hope the f**king scumbags are caught and beaten every day in prison. Cowards.

• Registered Users Posts: 933 ✭✭✭El_Bee

What's the harshest sentence these guys have ever gotten?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,374 ✭✭✭Rows Grower

El_Bee wrote: »
    What's the harshest sentence these guys have ever gotten?

Brian Meehan has served over 20 years and is expected to spend the rest of his life in prison.

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

Donald Trump, March 13th 2018.

• Advertisement

Brian Meehan has served over 20 years and is expected to spend the rest of his life in prison.

Why him and no one else though?

Why him and no one else though?

You asked what was the harshest.

I answered you and now you want me to answer why there is only one harshest?

Really?

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

You asked what was the harshest.

I answered you and now you want me to answer why there is only one harshest?

Really?

I meant to ask why are sentences like this so rare.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭hunter164

It’s because he got locked up for killing a darling of the media and not an ordinary joe soap.

These African gangs terrorising parts of Dublin are very much real and not some far right fantasy.

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/gsoc-to-probe-gardas-alleged-racist-language-rbmk78nvh

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,535 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

they're not. the average sentence for "life" sentence prisoners is 22 years.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,543 ✭✭✭Dante7

they're not. the average sentence for "life" sentence prisoners is 22 years.

The poster has a legitimate query as to why some life sentences are longer than others. Not too long ago the average life sentence was only 14 years.

There are a lot of reasons, but certain crimes are viewed as an attack on the very fabric of our society and will always attract very harsh sentences. Murdering a Garda, for example will nearly always get a much longer life sentence. The murder of Veronica Guerin was also an attack against our civilization and that is why Brian Meehan will serve a very long time. It's also why Gilligan got such a long sentence for his cannabis crime.

Dante7 wrote: »
    The poster has a legitimate query as to why some life sentences are longer than others. Not too long ago the average life sentence was only 14 years.

There are a lot of reasons, but certain crimes are viewed as an attack on the very fabric of our society and will always attract very harsh sentences. Murdering a Garda, for example will nearly always get a much longer life sentence. The murder of Veronica Guerin was also an attack against our civilization and that is why Brian Meehan will serve a very long time. It's also why Gilligan got such a long sentence for his cannabis crime.

Whether it's just me or not but I feel this sends the message that some lives are weighed more heavily than others, I mean that guy in coolock who was shot a few weeks back, if his killers are caught will they get the same, and if not does that mean his life means less to society than a gardai or journalist?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,535 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

The poster was under the misapprehension that such long sentences are rare. they are not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,543 ✭✭✭Dante7

Whether it's just me or not but I feel this sends the message that some lives are weighed more heavily than others, I mean that guy in coolock who was shot a few weeks back, if his killers are caught will they get the same, and if not does that mean his life means less to society than a gardai or journalist?

That's just the way it is, and modern society has deemed it so. Certain crimes will always attract higher tariffs due to their impact or threat to society at large. Fraud and counterfeiting always attract a higher sentence due to the underlying threat of destabilising the economy. Murder of a Judge or law enforcement official or treason always carry the highest sentences and until recently carried the death penalty.

Wrt the man in Dardale who was murdered, I would expect a very rigourous investigation into that case and for the culprits to be caught and to receive a very long sentence.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,671 ✭✭✭jay0109

These African gangs terrorising parts of Dublin are very much real and not some far right fantasy.

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/gsoc-to-probe-gardas-alleged-racist-language-rbmk78nvh

And GSOC aregoing to waste their time and that of the Gardai looking into what 1 Garda said at a conference!
    Joke

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23 SKILFUL

https://twitter.com/AltviewIreland/status/1099754495909744641?s=19

If irish people were not so racist these children would not have to borrow food to feed there starving children

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

SKILFUL wrote: »
    If irish people were not so racist these children would not have to borrow food to feed there starving children

It's honestly hard to know if this is sarcastic or not nowadays.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭The Enbalmer

Dante7 wrote:
    Wrt the man in Dardale who was murdered, I would expect a very rigourous investigation into that case and for the culprits to be caught and to receive a very long sentence.

Would you,indeed?

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/crime-and-law/life-sentence-prisoners-served-on-average-18-years-before-being-released-1.3651950

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,230 ✭✭✭realdanbreen

I see the Indo is reporting that Zach Parker had about €25k in his bank accounts.
    Seem odd then that he would be shot dead over a 50k drugs debt. Unless of course you have the more likely explanation which is the papers hadn't a clue why he was shot and dreamed up the 50k debt or the indo haven't a clue how much is in his bank account.

I see the Indo is reporting that Zach Parker had about €25k in his bank accounts.
    Seem odd then that he would be shot dead over a 50k drugs debt. Unless of course you have the more likely explanation which is the papers hadn't a clue why he was shot and dreamed up the 50k debt or the indo haven't a clue how much is in his bank account.
    Definitely BS.
    I've heard a few unpleasant stories about him since, threw his weight around a bit on younger lads etc.
    Not sure anyone believes the debt. Most reckon it was the fact that others eyes were opened to how lucrative his 'turf' was, and no need for him.
    If he needed €50k fearing for his life, I'm sure he would have got his hands on it quickly enough.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,192 ✭✭✭TeaBagMania

If there was no description regarding location i would have put my money on that being Detroit

Part of the "good boy at heart, quiet young man" story they pushed too, amazing how these people are eulogized, like the mother of that guy outside the courts last week, holding up pictures of him and proclaiming his innocence when everyone knows he was a violent drug dealer.

If there was no description regarding location i would have put my money on that being Detroit

It may aswell be in Detroit as far as some people are concerned as they are so far out of touch with reality on this subject.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 241 ✭✭hankless

I understand what you're saying but I can't imagine the family's grief at losing their loved one. I'm sure they go through all kinds of hardships coming to terms with their son's lifestyle before death.

They are innocent of all crimes and entitled to eulogize their loss if it helps them with their grief. Others are entitled not to believe it, or scoff. But the family themselves should be respected.

hankless wrote: »
    I understand what you're saying but I can't imagine the family's grief at losing their loved one. I'm sure they go through all kinds of hardships coming to terms with their son's lifestyle before death.

They are innocent of all crimes and entitled to eulogize their loss if it helps them with their grief. Others are entitled not to believe it, or scoff. But the family themselves should be respected.

The whole family are scum.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 241 ✭✭hankless

I was referring to all families of deceased gangland deaths. They're not all scum.

The whole family are scum.

The mother said in one report I read that PH is not in danger from them :D

The mother said in one report I read that PH is not in danger from them :D

She also said she felt sorry for the hutch family. I heard Gerry was slipping her one years ago, don't know how true it is, she was a looker in her day you wouldn't think it.

hankless wrote: »
    I was referring to all families of deceased gangland deaths. They're not all scum.

The families are well aware of their activities and reap the benefits of it, very common to see women on social welfare driving 30k jeeps around and buying their kids motorbikes, children allowance doesn't stretch that far.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,744 ✭✭✭marieholmfan

Ad hoc law.

The officer in charge of investigating the Hutch Kinahan feud has said the gardaí are continuing to actively prevent any potential escalation in violence following last week’s acquittal of Patrick Hutch.

The 26-year-old left the Special Criminal Court as a free man after charges of murder and other offences in relation to the shooting of David Byrne at the Regency Hotel three years ago were dropped.

Assistant Commissioner John O'Driscoll said today armed patrols and checkpoints were being maintained in Dublin's north inner city and static protection posts were also in place.

He also stressed that gardaí investigating the feud had so far intervened and saved lives in 59 incidents, seized over 90 firearms including machine guns, and seized over €150 million worth of drugs as well as over €8m in cash.

Mr O'Driscoll also said that people considered potential targets of criminal gangs had been given security advice but many have ignored garda warnings and continue to engage in dangerous and criminal activity.

Over 400 people, including Patrick Hutch, have been warned their lives were in danger.

https://www.rte.ie/news/crime/2019/0225/1032716-hutch-kinahan-fued/

the conditions for this fued to end will leave one dominant gang in Dublin right?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

So, what happened in the Spar? There is a video of 10-12 young black lads entering the front door, but that's about it. Google isn't coming up with much of anything.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,315 ✭✭✭mynamejeff

Billy86 wrote: »
    So, what happened in the Spar? There is a video of 10-12 young black lads entering the front door, but that's about it. Google isn't coming up with much of anything.

https://www.dublinlive.ie/news/dublin-news/teen-brandishing-knife-among-gang-15850441

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,784 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

the conditions for this fued to end will leave one dominant gang in Dublin right?

Doubt it. There are other gangs that are probably just waiting to see how this plays out, while obviously going about their day to day crime.

They were there for an hour and no Gardai. I'm awaiting the usual people to come along and claim that's acceptable. :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭pablo128

There are plenty more crews around. Some I'm sure are still under the radar. There's eastern Europeans, travellers, and our own natives at it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,228 ✭✭✭BBFAN

padd b1975 wrote: »
    Finnstown is in Lucan.

Yeah that's just a random news article?? :confused::confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

pablo128 wrote: »
    There are plenty more crews around. Some I'm sure are still under the radar. There's eastern Europeans, travellers, and our own natives at it.

The way I understand it, the Hutch v Kinahan/Byrne feud involves people primarily based in the south-west inner city and the north-east inner city, with many of the Kinahan aligned folks hailing from Dublins 8 and 12, and from what I've seen most of the Hutch aligned folks hailing from Dublins 1 and 3 (possibly including a small part of Dublin 7 as well, but my hunch is that any gang related activity this area is unconnected?)

This leave vast swathes of both the city centre and the greater Dublin area without any tangible connections to this, and yet there's obviously still organised crime in most areas. The North Co. Dublin feud in Finglas seems to be almost entirely unrelated to the Hutch-Kinahan/Byrne feud, and there seems to be a fair amount of activity in parts of Cabra and Darndale as well which has no connection.

I think the reason this one seems so all-encompassing is that the main players involved are fairly well known in general chit chat whereas some of the other groups wouldn't be - The Monk and Christy Snr are very famous well outside their immediate social circle thanks to their previous activities and the media coverage thereof, and on top of this, the communities they operate in are old Dublin communities with a lot of people who know eachother by only one or two degrees of separation. The gigantic turnout for David Byrne's funeral is evidence of that - several hundred people at least.

Both Crumlin and Dublin 1 have a very "village" feel to them in terms of neighbours knowing eachother and there being local gossip and grapevines. Not every part of Dublin has this type of socialising among neighbours - a lot of newer ones would be described as "soulless" by people from older ones on the grounds that many people who move to them stick almost exclusively with their existing social circle and there isn't that much socialising between neighbours, etc. It's a criticism you see very often of new planned developments. This is pretty much the opposite of what many of these older communities established in the mid-20th century are like, which is one of the reasons this kind of thing resonates a bit more - I'm from a fairly posh part of South Co. Dublin, went to a private school in Dublin 4 and even I'm sometimes amazed at how few degrees of separation there are between myself and some of the people involved in the big feud.

To put this another way, I know people living in Crumlin and I know people living near Mountjoy Square, sometimes families who are only there one generation and sometimes even people my own age who've moved there from outside the city to start families. Compared with people I know who would live in some newer communities and developments, the level to which they know who's who and would know many of the locals to say hello to on the street is worlds apart - in newer developments, I honestly know a lot of folks who'd struggle to remember peoples' named beyond their immediate next door neighbours.

It's simultaneously one of the reasons this kind of feuding is so depressing and also probably why other feuds don't blow up in the way that this one has - these are very old communities which are having their residents' lives torn apart by death and fear (regardless of what some will say the actual criminals are still a small minority and their neighbours and friends really don't deserve to have their lives f*cked up like this), and also they're not being replaced because newer communities don't seem to develop the same level of socialising. So we probably won't see as many feuds like this in the future, but that'll be symptomatic of the dying off of old communities where everyone knows everyone, to be replaced by newer ones where most people is in more of a social "bubble". So if someone gets shot in a brand new development from the Celtic Tiger era or subsequent, the area itself doesn't descend into chaos because there's not as much of a connection with neighbours. It's much easier for a local feud to erupt into something much bigger if a shooting victim has a hundred close friends living in the same neighbourhood who are angered and heartbroken by what's happened - it only takes a handful of them with fewer scruples than most to get together and decide to take revenge. And when it does, it's more personal than in a more modern one - it very rapidly stops being "your mates ripped us off" to "your mates killed my best friend from when we were kids, I won't rest until every one of you is in the ground".

Despite how awful it must be to live in the former type of community when something like this kicks off, living in the latter type sounds incredibly bleak to me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,854 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

They were there for an hour and no Gardai. I'm awaiting the usual people to come along and claim that's acceptable. :rolleyes:

The armed response unit should’ve gone out and done the necessary if required.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭tretorn

Deirdre Heney on to say Raheny doesnt normally experience this type of behaviour.

Then again Raheny doesnt have huge numbers of North Africans so the raheny residents dont care what life is like for those poor devils In Balbriggan and West Dublin who have to put up with this crap every night. Short of stopping these scum getting on the Dart in the first place how do you stop them travelling.

Isnt the Raheny Garda station very close to St Annes, how could it take an hour to get a response.

It looks like neighbourhood watches will have to be formed as the Gardai seem unable to deal with these black teenagers. If they were met by an organised group of strong young men at the dart stations ready to give them a taste of their own medicine they might think twice about causing trouble.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

Jasus it's like a scene from dawn of the dead

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement