Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Disease in hares and rabbits

Options
  • 10-08-2019 12:24am
    Registered Users Posts: 14,946 ✭✭✭✭

It seems all coursing liscenses are immediately suspended?Wonder will this affect shooting too with the quarry list?

Idependent.ie/business/farming/forestry-enviro/environment/deadly-disease-found-in-irish-hares-and-rabbits-public-asked-to-report-any-sightings-38390007.html?fbclid=IwAR1Qj-ZSp-uBld7HG7nF4RqT3nL3DvyGrJUbtGgRIme0ASs3atfNwuDbA-U

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,759 ✭✭✭cookimonster

https://amp.independent.ie/business/farming/forestry-enviro/environment/deadly-disease-found-in-irish-hares-and-rabbits-public-asked-to-report-any-sightings-38390007.html

I'm a bit confused here. I was under the impression that the huge decline in rabbits back in the late '80's and early '90's was directly connected to the spread of Rabbit haemorrhagic disease (RHD). The article seems to omit any mention of this and talks only about a 'new strain'.
    The orginal introduction of Myxo here in Ireland caused wide spread deaths of rabbits and was visible by the large numbers of rabbits killed on roads due to ulcerated eyes, but many other animals died slow deaths in the warren.
    I have witnessed the effect of Myxomatosis on local rabbit populations where numbers decline or are wiped out only to re-establish at later dates. The total loss of rabbits, never to return in the 80/90 period was not Myxo. Hundreds of acres of land was purged of rabbits, this was noticeable with in 6 to 12 month periods.
    Changing farming techniques, urban sprawl etc cannot account for the loss of several thousands of acres of mixed farm land losing its rabbits over a few years.
    So was the pressence of RHD at that time a 'urban legend' so to speak or was there something else afoot.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,974 ✭✭✭Eddie B

The virus is here for at least seven to eight years. This is nothing more than a clever way to stop hare coursing. How dangerous is this virus to hares? As hares are solitary for most of the year, doubt it will cause much damage to numbers. In fact, I'd go further to say that there would be little to no reduction in numbers. Personally, I've noticed more hares in area's where rabbit numbers have been decimated.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,334 ✭✭✭J.R.

The Department of Culture, Heritage and the Gaeltacht
    also have the story

https://www.chg.gov.ie/deadly-disease-found-in-irish-hares-and-rabbits-public-asked-to-report-any-sightings-irish-coursing-club-licences-suspended-with-immediate-effect/

They ask the public to report cases but I'd imagine it will be very difficult for a lay person to determine whether a rabbit or hare has it. Not many symptoms to look out for given.

swollen eyelids, partial paralysis and bleeding from the eyes and mouth.

Any rabbit shot in the head or chest with a rifle can have blood coming from the eyes and mouth....same with road kills....so swollen eyelids seems to be what o look for.

The public – particularly landowners, farmers, vets and the hare coursing community – is being asked to be on high alert and to report any suspected sightings of diseased rabbits and hares as soon as possible to help efforts to monitor and control the disease.

Dr Neil Reid, a Conservation Biologist at Queen’s University Belfast, who is also tracking the disease across the island warns of the significant impact this could have on the wild ecosystem. He said “I am asking people to be on high alert, to report any suspected sightings of diseased rabbits and, particularly hares, as soon as possible so we can monitor this rapidly developing situation as it unfolds. This is an example of how citizen science can really contribute to conservation biology.”

It causes death within a few days of infection with sick animals having swollen eyelids, partial paralysis and bleeding from the eyes and mouth. Most distressingly, in the latter states close to death, animals exhibit unusual behavior emerging from cover into the open and convulsing or fitting before dying.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,334 ✭✭✭J.R.

Eddie B wrote: »
    This is nothing more than a clever way to stop hare coursing.
    This is the shorter version that the Dept. of Culture Heritage and the Gaeltacht put up on Facebook

487701.JPG

J.R. wrote: »
    This is the shorter version that the Dept. of Culture Heritage and the Gaeltacht put up on Facebook

487701.JPG

It's old news. We've been talking about it for years.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

Much like the RTE "report" on Greyhound racing/industry. Old news wrapped in new packaging to suit an agenda.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

Cass wrote: »
    Much like the RTE "report" on Greyhound racing/industry. Old news wrapped in new packaging to suit an agenda.

Speaking of which, two racing tracks have just closed down. Times they are a changing.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,650 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

The virus is here for at least seven to eight years. This is nothing more than a clever way to stop hare coursing. How dangerous is this virus to hares? As hares are solitary for most of the year, doubt it will cause much damage to numbers. In fact, I'd go further to say that there would be little to no reduction in numbers. Personally, I've noticed more hares in area's where rabbit numbers have been decimated.

I'd tend to agree with that - TBH I'd be more concerned about that "Crayfish Plague" that threatens to wipe our native White Clawed Crayfish populations which are one of the last remaining viable populations in the EU:(

• Registered Users Posts: 7,857 ✭✭✭Rows Grower

I've never seen so many hares as I have lately. We have one young one that visits our garden the odd time and he can do 0-60mph in about a half a second when the terrier pup gets sight of him.

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

Donald Trump, March 13th 2018.

Some people, of the tin foil hat persuasion, may find a pattern in recent events:
    • Coursing licenses suspended after hack RTE job done under the guise of public safety
    • Grouse shooting in the UK under threat
    • Vermin shooting (bird) suspended, then repealed after much criticism in the UK
    • New SI signed into law that further restricts shooting with unworkable and unenforceable laws
    • The EU directive that does the same in Europe
    • 2nd Amendment under threat from the left in the USA

You know what they say. It's not paranoia if they're actually out to get you. :D
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,124 ✭✭✭BryanL

Ban coursing , but they never restricted the movement of pet rabbits into the country when the Island of Ireland and even the UK were free of the disease.

Ban coursing.

But they've put no measures in place to contain the disease or restrict it's spread further.

Avian Flu, Ban shooting.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭grassroot1

Cass wrote: »
    Some people, of the tin foil hat persuasion, may find a pattern in recent events:
    • Coursing licenses suspended after hack RTE job done under the guise of public safety
    • Grouse shooting in the UK under threat
    • Vermin shooting (bird) suspended, then repealed after much criticism in the UK
    • New SI signed into law that further restricts shooting with unworkable and unenforceable laws
    • The EU directive that does the same in Europe
    • 2nd Amendment under threat from the left in the USA

You know what they say. It's not paranoia if they're actually out to get you. :D
    you forgot the proposed lead ban by ECHA

• Registered Users Posts: 3,070 ✭✭✭cavan shooter

It's death by 1000 cuts,

• Registered Users Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭ezra_

It's death by 1000 cuts,

You missed an 'n'.

• Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭Benny mcc

ezra_ wrote: »
    You missed an 'n'.

VERY good ;-)

I can’t understand why they’re not using the coursing clubs to help vaccinate both hares and rabbits. The Irish hare, especially is facing extinction due to this deadly virus.

I can’t understand why they’re not using the coursing clubs to help vaccinate both hares and rabbits. The Irish hare, especially is facing extinction due to this deadly virus.

That's simply not true. The disease has been in this country for close to ten years. Hunters have been voicing their concerns for years, but no one cared because rabbits are seen as a nuisance species. The fact that hares can be affected has the media interested, but the fact is, that hare numbers aren't hugely affected, unlike that of rabbit's.

That's simply not true. The disease has been in this country for close to ten years. Hunters have been voicing their concerns for years, but no one cared because rabbits are seen as a nuisance species. The fact that hares can be affected has the media interested, but the fact is, that hare numbers aren't hugely affected, unlike that of rabbit's.

Then there’s no reason to defer the coursing any longer?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 457 ✭✭richiedel123

Haha no reason to stop it in the first place!!! It was a back door way of banning it!!! Welcome to Ireland where we do things underhanded but pretend we care

Not really, but I'm sure the powers that be, will argue the fact that keeping hares in captivity in numbers increases the risk of spreading the virus.

Are the coursing associations doing anything about this backdoor ban?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,913 ✭✭✭Pintman Paddy Losty

Hopefully the ban can help the rabbit population recover somewhat. Lads heading out with powerful torches at night and blowing the heads off the animals can't be too helpful to the struggling population.

One of the most ignorant posts i've seen in a while.

First off the ban is on Hares, not rabbits.

Secondly your terminology gives away your anti hunting bias.

Thirdly lamping is completely legal so leave your disgust at the door, thanks.

Lastly substantiate your comment with facts/data otherwise its conjecture.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,759 ✭✭✭cookimonster

...... Lads heading out with powerful torches at night and blowing the heads off the animals can't be too helpful to the struggling population.

Hunting, wether by firearms or other means has very little impact on rabbit populations. Trawl UTube to see large numbers of rabbits culled on single nights or over a short period. This will quell a population growth or a onslaught of crop damage for a short period but will not wipe out the local population.
    Over population cause issues with in the rabbit community and the possible recurrence of comunical diseases. It is these diseases that pose the biggest threat to a local rabbit population, that and radical changes to the landscape more so then any hunting method.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,124 ✭✭✭BryanL

What I can't understand is that no controls were put in place to keep this disease outside the country.

No that it has spread nationwide they want to ban coursing. Horse and Bolted

More a case of look at the jangling keys in my left hand while i take your sport from you with my right.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,913 ✭✭✭Pintman Paddy Losty

If the hare population is struggling with this disease do you think coursing or bloodsport in general helps or hinders recovery?

• Advertisement

First off you can leave that "bloodsport" nonsense at the door. Your anti hunting propaganda won't be tolerated on this forum.

Secondly Hare shooting has a season and only with a shotgun. Meaning the numbers of Hares shot would be miniscule compared to rabbits or other vermin species.

Lastly have you got numbers on the amount of Hares killed during coursing meetings, the total number shot during a season, the total Hare population and how the previous two sports impact that population number? If not then you're guessing and while you are entitled to your opinion, it's just that your opinion.

Advertisement