Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Severe Winter Weather: ESSENTIAL PREPARATIONS, TRAVEL ADVICE, DRIVING TIPS & CLOSURES

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭sjb25

jobless wrote: »
    im just after seeing a punch up down my local tescos over the last loaf of bread! ... the end is nigh

Ahh stop :)

• Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭spoonerhead

Completely sold out of bags of salt. The reaction I get when I tell customers it’s gone, you’d think it was my fault

• Registered Users Posts: 3,460 ✭✭✭vandriver

IMG_20180226_153521853.jpg

Panic buying at its finest.

• Registered Users Posts: 325 ✭✭lolokeogh

All this stocking up is crazy,i have watched enough yukon men to handle this week,and the neighbours cat is an easy target for a trap..anyway nothing in swords north dublin,ill be awaiting its arrival tomorrow evening,and ofcourse keeping on track with this thread,much appreciated folks.

• Registered Users Posts: 768 ✭✭✭davidsr20

Lots of bread in Galway I can meet half way in Athlone €4 a loaf ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,922 ✭✭✭Reati

vandriver wrote: »
    IMG_20180226_153521853.jpg

Panic buying at its finest.

Tesco should start sponsoring weather alerts. They will be winning this week.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

crashadder wrote: »
    oh god i need to renew my residence permit on tuesday evening at 19:00 . my employment will be suspended if i couldnt :-) i hope immigration people works on tuesday.

Think Wednesday is when it gets bad so hopefully they will be open tomorrow.

Maybe phone them to make sure, if they're not I'm sure the circumstances of the situation will be taken into account.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,325 ✭✭✭iLikeWaffles

FFS not a snow shovel to be seen in the hardware shops. All sold out!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,322 ✭✭✭m17

I'm stocking up on the double because Wednesday and Thursday will be mayhem
    IMAG7001_zpsvwgtx4ja.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 276 ✭✭the 12 th man

The birds are milling the seeds.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,058 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

I wouldn’t say I’ve stockpiled, but I have planned for & bought enough food to not need to go to the shops for the remainder of the week. Typically I’d only plan 1/2 days in advance and shop accordingly.

It’s by no means panic stations, but it’s certainly prudent to not be relying on having to go to the shops until Monday at the earliest.

(Planning a big pot of coddle for Wednesday)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,318 ✭✭✭Macy0161

Got extra beers over the weekend. Will start thinking of the none essentials like bread and milk now...

• Registered Users Posts: 768 ✭✭✭davidsr20

Lots of bread in Galway I can meet half way in Athlone €4 a loaf ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,183 ✭✭✭jobless

how does the dart normally handle the snow?.... need to get into town tomorrow night and it looks like it might be the only mode available to me

The birds are milling the seeds.

keep feeding them..... they are at the end of a long hard Winter and very susceptible to this cold on the way. Many will die.

Melt margarine, or suet or any kind of fat and toss oatmeal in it, cheap stuff will do it doesn't have to be organic (!) let it cool then scatter it outside . They need fat far more than the likes of breadcrumbs in this cold. If I run out of nuts and seeds I always do this and they love it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,139 ✭✭✭pad199207

keep feeding them..... they are at the end of a long hard Winter and very susceptible to this cold on the way. Many will die.

Melt margarine, or suet or any kind of fat and toss oatmeal in it, cheap stuff will do it doesn't have to be organic (!) let it cool then scatter it outside . They need fat far more than the likes of breadcrumbs in this cold. If I run out of nuts and seeds I always do this and they love it.

We dont have proper bird seed, but they are scoffing down grated cheese,porridge oats, ground up cornflakes and breadcrumbs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭az2wp0sye65487

Not sure if It's been mentioned here already but I've found in the past that if you find your car covered in snow and have to drive somewhere, a household dustpan makes a great snow-scooper. The ones that have a rubber strip along the front are ideal since it reduces the chances of causing damage to the paintwork on the car.

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭KingBobby

FFS not a snow shovel to be seen in the hardware shops. All sold out!

Literally every person coming out of homebase in nutgrove this morning was carrying a snow shovel. One guy had 3!

pad199207 wrote: »
    We dont have proper bird seed, but they are scoffing down grated cheese,porridge oats, ground up cornflakes and breadcrumbs.

yeah they love all that! melt it all down in some fat if you can too!

The trouble is feeding them all. I have so many little ones, but also starlings, crows, pigeons and now seagulls!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,118 ✭✭✭Lackey

optogirl wrote: »
    Just had a text from my 6 year old's football training to say 'don't forget the senior infants have training this Thursday'. Eh, I think not

Welcome to the glorious world of football matches and training in all weathers cause 'Its a soft day sure wont do them any harm' :D

Time to get your priorities sorted ...and your weather proof coat :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,870 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

jobless wrote: »
    going to a gig..... id say it will only be cancelled if they unleash the red weather warning

Keep an eye on it, all transport could struggle under orange conditions depending on concentration of showers, the venue might open and act appear but there mightn't be much of an audience

• Registered Users Posts: 3,809 ✭✭✭CerebralCortex

Don't give any animal margarine! There are different types of fat and margarine is not the one you want to be eating.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,160 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

m17 wrote: »
    I'm stocking up on the double because Wednesday and Thursday will be mayhem
    IMAG7001_zpsvwgtx4ja.jpg

I hope your water supply stays intact.

Don't give any animal margarine! There are different types of fat and margarine is not the one you want to be eating.

how is that different to the suet that the balls are made of? So they can eat meat/animal derived fats but not margarine/cookeen/ butter? Are they carnivours ?? I think its gonna be a case of whatever I have got and a case of trying to feed as many as I can. I have done this for years and don't see lots of little birds bodies around the garden??

I don't think the crows than ransack bins are that fussy - or magpies, seagulls, starlings. I wish a few of them would die off but its like something out of Hitchcocks The Birds in my garden!

• Registered Users Posts: 742 ✭✭✭smodgley

is duck fat ok to use ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 695 ✭✭✭beefburrito

I hope your water supply stays intact.

Actually I must open up the stira....let the heat up into the loft....

• Registered Users Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭Dickerty

smodgley wrote: »
    is duck fat ok to use ?

Wouldn't that be cannibalism?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 695 ✭✭✭beefburrito

Dickerty wrote: »
    Wouldn't that be cannibalism?

Lol love it sounds like something Dave Allen would come up with....

• Registered Users Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

I've been giving the birds our leftovers. The dogs are murderous at this stage. But they've been getting everything, oats, honey, yoghurt, bread with thick butter, houmous, peanut butter, diced fruit, crackers, chia and sesame seeds. I hope that's all ok?! Never considered it might be bad for them. I know breadcrumbs alone aren't great so figured fats and sugars would be good.

• Advertisement

smodgley wrote: »
    is duck fat ok to use ?

apart from cannibalism do you realise how much duck fat costs??

sorry I am trying to feed a multitude - they will have to do with "stork" :D

Advertisement