Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Severe Winter Weather: ESSENTIAL PREPARATIONS, TRAVEL ADVICE, DRIVING TIPS & CLOSURES

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,806 ✭✭✭Calibos

ps200306 wrote: »
    People battering each other out of the way for parking spots in Dunnes Stores Cornelscourt at midday today. Drove around for fifteen minutes, then gave up. The news has filtered through to the masses. Post count on boards snow threads hotted up too:

Family thought I was mad doing a big shop for 8 days of dinners yesterday morning. I told them that I wasn't doing it because I thought the snow would be too bad to walk the 5 minutes to Dunnes and Tesco. I was doing it because when Met Eireann upgraded the warnings to Orange today like I expected and everyone started taking this seriously, the shelves would be emptied of anything decent nevermind emptied of everything and deliveries of new stock would be slow due to the roads. Family will be fed in the manner they are accustomed to even through a potential Blizzard and there will be no Cornflakes for Dinner at the weekend in this house! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭mobil 222

blanch152 wrote: »
    A big bag of fat balls from Dealz, only costs €2 will do the business.

Homebase were doing 50 fatballs in a plastic container for 8 euro.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,140 ✭✭✭✭Grandeeod

seamus wrote: »
    Probably won't be cancelled on Wednesday, but Eoghan Murphy said on the radio that a red warning automatically means schools close. And going by the charts, that seems likely for the East towards Thursday and Friday. Unlikely we'll see it upgraded until some time Wednesday though.

Got a text today from my daughters school saying they will close if a red alert is issued. Last December 10th there was a snowfall under a yellow alert in our area. The school did not open on Monday 11th or 12th until the snow had melted. Sometimes I really wonder.:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,161 ✭✭✭PukkaStukka

Bus Eireann and their contravtors will not school buses during Red warnings

• Registered Users Posts: 1,796 ✭✭✭aidanodr

Check and see if your car is Rear Wheel Drive - RWD ... eg BMW. Amazing how many people are not aware of this.

RWD is generally not great in ice and snow .. ??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,806 ✭✭✭Calibos

Don't brag to people that you have a 4WD if its on Summer Tires. A FWD Nissan Micra on All Seasons, Winter Tires or with SnowSocks will embarrass you! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 713 ✭✭✭gandalfio

What do people think the condition of the M50 will be like tomorrow at 5pm?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,611 ✭✭✭david75

gandalfio wrote: »

Theresa mannioned out if it

• Registered Users Posts: 4,332 ✭✭✭mojesius

Sluggish, like a wet sponge.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 898 ✭✭✭Schwanz

Done it in 2010 - took me 4.5 hours to get from Coolock to Lucan.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭my3cents

aidanodr wrote: »
    Check and see if your car is Rear Wheel Drive ... eg BMW. Amazing how many people are not aware of this.

RWD is generally not great in ice and snow .. ??
    Calibos wrote: »
    Don't brag to people that you have a 4WD if its on Summer Tires. A FWD Nissan Micra on All Seasons, Winter Tires or with SnowSocks will embarrass you! ;)

I had a woman stuck in a Nissan Patrol on our verge. She was trying to turn and missed our 15m wide drive by about 5m and ended up with the back end going down the 30 degree grass slope to next to our drive.

She called to the house to ask my help and didn't even know the vehicle had 4WD or how to engage it :eek: :rolleyes: I just put in 4WD and drove it straight off.

Anyway point of this is that if you have family that are driving a 4WD then make sure they know how to use some of the get out of jail features like the 4WD ;) Also a good idea to let family know that you have all the gear in the car like shovel, blankets or whatever as no point them standing on the side of the road shivering leaving a boot load of useful stuff unused.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,208 ✭✭✭shamrock55

I'm due to fly from cork to Liverpool on sat morn,what are the chances of it being cancelled

• Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭irishfeen

For anyone who are worried about freezing pipes - especially service water pipes (from meter to your house)

For internal pipes/service pipe/meter box you would probably be safest to actually turn off your stopcock at night when you are finished with shower, washing machine etc and wrap the meter/stopcock with homemade insulation (something like old clothing) or attic insulation into the box itself... then run your taps and empty out the pipes completely.

In the morning go back out and remove the insulation and turn back on the stopcock - the councils water main will not freeze unless its extraordinarily cold because there will be water moving all night long, the problem for most people is the service pipe (from the box to your house) because most builders just threw them in not burring them deep enough. You can never guarantee it but this should work in the vast majority of cases.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,925 ✭✭✭spookwoman

blanch152 wrote: »
    A big bag of fat balls from Dealz, only costs €2 will do the business.

They will do as well.
    Remember to remove the plastic mesh on them little birds often get their feet and legs tangled in them.
    The lard cakes are good if you have left overs. Our birds turned into cannibals this morning with the leftover roast chicken :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,325 ✭✭✭iLikeWaffles

Danno wrote: »
    Don't forget the bog-roll lads!

Or today's Herald. Just don't flush it and you'll be grand.

Mrsweasley wrote: »
    Can anyone make a guess as to what time the East will be worst hit on Friday ? Have to travel M50 then M9. Many thanks is advance

13:52.27

• Registered Users Posts: 9,925 ✭✭✭spookwoman

Or today's Herald. Just don't flush it and you'll be grand.
    Or expose your ass to the elements and chip it off :D

spookwoman wrote: »
    Or expose your ass to the elements and chip it off :D

I will knot... :D

• Registered Users Posts: 20,008 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

apart from cannibalism do you realise how much duck fat costs??

sorry I am trying to feed a multitude - they will have to do with "stork" :D

I occasionally buy Duck breasts in Lidl. After I am done cooking those, there is so much Duck fat rendered I scarcely know what to do with it all. I keep it all and use it for cooking. When I run out, Duck reappears on the menu, for some reason. ;-)

Hydrogenated vegetable oils are not fit for human consumption.

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭Fuko200

Does anyone have any idea regarding flights to england?
    Im due to fly to manchester early thursday morning and returning saturday and i cant get a refund on the hotel i booked.
    Would the weather possibly stop the flight from happening or will i just monitor the airports newsfeed for any news?

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 739 ✭✭✭Dev84

Snowcoplyse hits Aldi Clonee. Milk and bread gone. All fresh salad gone. Veg not far behind. Slight fall of small flakes around 8.

Beer?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,586 ✭✭✭4068ac1elhodqr

http://winterready.ie

- pretty much covers all eventualities. The 52pg PDF winter booklet covers most snowmagedden events.
    - for driving preparation: https://www.winterready.ie/en/guides/road-safety

• Registered Users Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭goat2

snow_bunny wrote: »
    Yes, they're fine, fair play to you.

However, the gang in my back garden have turned their noses up at them for some reason?!

Top picks seem to be:

Diced apple & pears
    Mixed nuts
    Porridge oats (dry)
    Soaked dried fruit like raisins (should be soft and plump)
    Brie rinds
    some wet catfood
    leftover sausages
    Any leftover berries
    Peanut butter smeared on all of the above
    I ust bought a big bag of dogfood, do I have to wet the food before putting it out, and then will it freeze it if it is wet, but thanks for all the advice, plenty apples hanging round, and porridge oat also, great, love those little critters, they look in window as if to thank us for doing this

• Registered Users Posts: 15,924 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

For the birds.... dry porridge oats and grated cheese. That's all you need. Well some water too of course. I have never seen anything left TBH so they like it and it's easy.

Someone else will provide the fats and fruit, well that's my of looking at it anyway. I do my bit!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,493 ✭✭✭An Ri rua

goat2 wrote: »
    I ust bought a big bag of dogfood, do I have to wet the food before putting it out, and then will it freeze it if it is wet, but thanks for all the advice, plenty apples hanging round, and porridge oat also, great, love those little critters, they look in window as if to thank us for doing this

Haha, yes the birds love that catfood ! Gocat kibble My blackbirds eat it dry :D Pinch it on the putty cats. Very satisfying to watch :D

Remember the birds folks

• Registered Users Posts: 10,493 ✭✭✭✭guil

I say the same everytime there is an event but hoping for a surprise going to work in the morning. I'm going to kilcullen for about 4 and to blessington around 5am. Any chance of snow at that time do ye think?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,144 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

guil wrote: »
    I say the same everytime there is an event but hoping for a surprise going to work in the morning. I'm going to kilcullen for about 4 and to blessington around 5am. Any chance of snow at that time do ye think?

I wouldn't think so.

guil wrote: »

no chance tomorrow at 2pm or there after most likely will start to sleet and turn into heavier showers of dry rain.

• Advertisement

Mentioned in a group chat at work that if anyone had elderly neighbors to look in on them this week. All I got was jokes and replies like "it's -20 where I'm from so why are people worried". Tried to point out that an event on this scale on Ireland is rare and it's best to be prepared and just take 10 minutes to ensure that any older people living alone are looked in on, one lad said and this is a quote" doesn't Ireland have churches that you can send the homeless and old people to be looked after in". Genuinely disgusted by some of the comments, I'd rather look like some loon worrying and check in on people than pass it off. After storm Ophelia the same lad complained that work was closed and "only three people died" as in his "country, only pussies worry about the weather". Never wanted someone to be hit bad by this but I hope his pipes burst.

Advertisement