Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Severe Winter Weather: ESSENTIAL PREPARATIONS, TRAVEL ADVICE, DRIVING TIPS & CLOSURES

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Pussyhands

Panic buying has begun! Shops shelves emptying fast.

CENTRA SHILL

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭otherfrog

Really ?

I can confirm there wasnt an ice scraper to be had in Tesco earlier :pac:

Plenty of them on Saturday - reduced amount of de-icer on the shelves.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,949 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Really ?

I can confirm this in Dun laoghaire, staples and tins along with large containers of water are going pretty fast. Not a panic, but the message is being received.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

polydactyl wrote: »
    Ok, living in Dublin and have a job that means Red Alert or not I need to go to work so trying to plan.

Like a lot of people I bought snow socks for A Renault Megane in 2010. Weiss size 80....still in bag. Now I have a 2014 Tiguan.....how on Earth do I know if they will be of any help or just leave in the bag

What does the packaging say on them? I would imagine and your Tiguan has much larger wheels than the Megane did. So I would guess they will not fit.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,791 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

Panic buying has begun! Shops shelves emptying fast.

not much bread left on our local Supervalu.

many of the ready made meals sold out too with some shelves completely empty.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 31,058 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Larbre34 wrote: »
    I can confirm this in Dun laoghaire, staples and tins along with large containers of water are going pretty fast. Not a panic, but the message is being received.
    :D

• Registered Users Posts: 856 ✭✭✭rebeve

kod87 wrote: »
    I could understand panic buying if we were in for several weeks of severe weather but this looks like 4 or 5 days, what do people possibly need to stock up on for 4 or 5 days?

Common sense !!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,161 ✭✭✭PukkaStukka

But RTE said not to panic for 24 hours.

That's a bit rich coming from the very one who started all this....:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 17,911 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

Went to woodies yesterday evening and the panic buying of coal etc was ridiculous, people walking out with supplies that will last them a month for what will be 5-6 days of cold weather

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭KingBobby

kod87 wrote: »
    I could understand panic buying if we were in for several weeks of severe weather but this looks like 4 or 5 days, what do people possibly need to stock up on for 4 or 5 days?

House bound with a few hungry whingy kids isnt fun. I'd imagine people are making sure they avoid that situation!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,746 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

Dunnes in Kilkenny was getting very low on the 3 litres milk containers, they seemed busier than normal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 207 ✭✭clownface95

Hey lads, I have an interview in cork tomorrow morning at 10 am, I’ve no other option but to drive. I have a tiny Yaris lol. Do you think the conditions will be ok to drive in the morning ?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,607 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Hey lads, I have an interview in cork tomorrow morning at 10 am, I’ve no other option but to drive. I have a tiny Yaris lol. Do you think the conditions will be ok to drive in the morning ?

Yes.

• Registered Users Posts: 927 ✭✭✭bertie4evr

RobertKK wrote: »
    Dunnes in Kilkenny was getting very low on the 3 litres milk containers, they seemed busier than normal.

How bad will Kilkenny be hit? The hills surrounding the town usually keep the worst away.

That's a bit rich coming from the very one who started all this....:pac:

I've been telling everyone there is no need to panic because there is no need to. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

Don't forget the bog-roll lads!

• Registered Users Posts: 20,007 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

I have just been wielding a chainsaw to boost wood supplies because if the power goes out for several days, the wood burning stove would be the only source of heat and would have to be cranked up so would go through a fair bit.

I love snow but not snow + sustained power outage.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,346 ✭✭✭Macy0161

What does the packaging say on them? I would imagine and your Tiguan has much larger wheels than the Megane did. So I would guess they will not fit.
    They came with a cardboard flyer that had the wheel sizes and the models (at the time they fitted). If the poster had the size and manufacturer I'd be surprised if the tyre sizes it fits couldn't be found.

Not sure I'd chance them unless sure - my mechanic has a tail of woe of wrongly fitted ones wrapping on the axel and doing serious damage!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,481 ✭✭✭touts

Oops69 wrote: »
    I’m dreading Shane Ross giving updates on transport when everything goes pear shaped from Wednesday ...headwreck.

I'll tell you what will be even better fun. Eoghan Murphy giving updates when all those water meters start going pop as they thaw on Saturday morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,438 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

roddy15 wrote: »
    And to that I say **** em. Country should be prepared in advance that means making the call on schools early to give parents time to sort out arrangements if schools were to close.

Why? doesn't happen elsewhere.

Mayor of Rome closed schools for today at 7 p.m. last night.

Some of the English train companies announced this morning that people should travel before six this evening.

Early advisory to be alert, which we have had. Calling it at the right time when it is clear what will happen is the second part, which is what is happening.

By the way, if schools are closing, shouldn't most workplaces be closing too?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 391 ✭✭Realtine

Watching the weather with interest probably like half the country - due to fly to Amsterdam in the morning at 11am - I'm hoping we'll get out -

I suppose it's just to early to tell just yet - I'm more concerned about getting home on Thursday night - I guessing I have to prepare for the possibility of getting stuck in Amsterdam for a day or so, any suggestions for survival if that is the case?
    Even if I get back to Dublin on Thursday night there's a chance I could be stuck at the airport if no taxi's or buses are running.

(the weather in Amsterdam is very cold but with no snow forecast just at the minute)

EEK! It's starting to snow very lightly in Dublin 10 - really, really hoping to get flights out in the morning!!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9 Chilly Willy

They just said on the news that they don't forsee businesses having to close?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,187 ✭✭✭jiltloop

The proper thing to do is put the sock over the shoe, for grip.

This would also work in the 90s when a bouncer told you that you weren't allowed in to the nightclub in runners. Quick nip around the corner and put the black socks over the runners and hey presto, you're in!

There could possibly be further a joke here relating to dancing your socks off but I'm too lazy....

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

Light snow now falling here in Tallaght. Ladies and Gentlemen, the Beast is in the building!

Light snow now falling here in Tallaght. Ladies and Gentlemen, the Beast is in the building!

giphy.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,043 ✭✭✭George Sunsnow

Deedsie wrote: »
    Could Bus Eireann Expressway bus services be affected by this storm?

Yes

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭JJJJNR

Dunnes cornelscourt packed atm. Saturday queues.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,183 ✭✭✭jobless

im just after seeing a punch up down my local tescos over the last loaf of bread! ... the end is nigh

• Closed Accounts Posts: 137 ✭✭crashadder

oh god i need to renew my residence permit on tuesday evening at 19:00 . my employment will be suspended if i couldnt :-) i hope immigration people works on tuesday.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,043 ✭✭✭George Sunsnow

Advertisement