Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Severe Winter Weather: ESSENTIAL PREPARATIONS, TRAVEL ADVICE, DRIVING TIPS & CLOSURES

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,751 ✭✭✭mirrorwall14

So I’ve been following a while. I work down a nasty steep hill (think gear 1/2 to get up) in North Kildare. I reckon I’m ok to head down it tomorrow to park and back up round 5 as the streamers are due later? Or am I being optimistic and should park at the top just in case

• Registered Users Posts: 18,144 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

no chance tomorrow at 2pm or there after most likely will start to sleet and turn into heavier showers of dry rain.

Dry rain?

Never heard of that before!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,140 ✭✭✭✭Grandeeod

Mentioned in a group chat at work that if anyone had elderly neighbors to look in on them this week. All I got was jokes and replies like "it's -20 where I'm from so why are people worried". Tried to point out that an event on this scale on Ireland is rare and it's best to be prepared and just take 10 minutes to ensure that any older people living alone are looked in on, one lad said and this is a quote" doesn't Ireland have churches that you can send the homeless and old people to be looked after in". Genuinely disgusted by some of the comments, I'd rather look like some loon worrying and check in on people than pass it off. After storm Ophelia the same lad complained that work was closed and "only three people died" as in his "country, only pussies worry about the weather". Never wanted someone to be hit bad by this but I hope his pipes burst.

I can fully appreciate the type of person you are talking about. In my case it was a buffed up idiot devoid of intelligence, that will never go beyond driving a forklift around a warehouse. I'm not stereotyping, just merely expressing what I witnessed.

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭snow_bunny

goat2 wrote: »
    I ust bought a big bag of dogfood, do I have to wet the food before putting it out, and then will it freeze it if it is wet, but thanks for all the advice, plenty apples hanging round, and porridge oat also, great, love those little critters, they look in window as if to thank us for doing this

Excellent! You'll be the most popular bird cafe on the street tomorrow! I usually soak the dry kibble in a cup before I throw it out, it can swell in their tummies otherwise and at the rate the Starlings mow through it they'd be in bits. I wouldn't worry about it freezing, they'll have it gobbled up in no time!

One of the Robins here has taken to arriving on the kitchen window for a look in when he hears us, it's beyond cute! I sat under the tree in the garden today and a very plump and happy looking female blackbird kept stopping beside my feet to look at me, she seemed cautiously grateful.

My poor, old, three-legged, cat is very put out at the thought of birds eating more than him.:o

• Registered Users Posts: 4,730 ✭✭✭Naos

Flights out of Dublin Airport - how are they likely to be affected over the weekend?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭domrush

I need to get from Dublin to Galway after work on Friday (can be on the road for half 4). Would I be better off waiting until Saturday morning?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 455 ✭✭jasper100

domrush wrote: »
    I need to get from Dublin to Galway after work on Friday (can be on the road for half 4). Would I be better off waiting until Saturday morning?

You would be better off waiting until Thursday morning and checking the met eireann weather forecast then.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

Naos wrote: »
    Flights out of Dublin Airport - how are they likely to be affected over the weekend?

As of now, less so over the weekend. From Tomorrow night until Friday afternoon or maybe up till early Saturday Dublin Airport is likely to be severely disrupted, getting worse as time goes on.

This prediction could be totally different in 24hrs, so better to check less than 48hrs in advance for accuracy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,426 ✭✭✭italodisco

Deedsie wrote: »
    More people eating at home as they can't get to work and have their meals there.
    It's a worrying sign when bread and milk are the two biggest sellers during a supposed panic buy spree lol

• Registered Users Posts: 9,346 ✭✭✭Macy0161

Is it really panic buying though? We normally do the family shop on a Wednesday - just brought it forward a couple of days so we're covered for the weekend. Can't be the only ones.

Booked off work after tomorrow, food (and beer) all in, I can relax and enjoy whatever the weather may bring stess free!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 590 ✭✭✭Monkeynut

i have a press full of soup, beans, spagetti hoops. and a freezer full of crap all collected and left there over the last few months. i think ill make it through this. :P

does nobody else have these things in the press?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 191 ✭✭Casualsingby

Macy0161 wrote: »
    Is it really panic buying though? We normally do the family shop on a Wednesday - just brought it forward a couple of days so we're covered for the weekend. Can't be the only ones.

Booked off work after tomorrow, food (and beer) all in, I can relax and enjoy whatever the weather may bring stess free!

It's panic buying if there's nothing left on the shelves in the whole shop like the pics showed lol

• Registered Users Posts: 23,607 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

• Closed Accounts Posts: 695 ✭✭✭beefburrito

People are watching too many disaster movies,the day after tomorrow....

Nothing but rotting innards of wheelie bins is all I can forecast.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,479 ✭✭✭Kamili

Aldi must be rolling it in.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,591 ✭✭✭gabeeg

All the photos and videos are of empty fresh produce aisles.

Are the tinned food aisles as bad? God, I hope so.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,394 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

This looks ridiculous.

Worse than Christmas - more than ridiculous

• Registered Users Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

I ordered an extra 5l water, two bottles of wine and some extra fuel for the stove. Everything else we have as part of our weekly shop. I did do the shopping a day early, so it's to arrive tomorrow instead of Wednesday. I'm just hoping that Tesco don't send my shopping with a load of things left off or substituted because of panic buying.

What's the story with the post. Do they generally still deliver unless there is a status red? I'm awaiting something very very important. (Waterproof gloves for the toddler for snowman building!)

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭Petal765

Does anyone know how to prevent heat loss from windows? Have the heating on full blast but can't keep the upstairs rooms warm, wouldn't bother me but I've 2 young children and the rooms are around 13/14 degrees, anyone any ideas?

• Registered Users Posts: 35,890 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

All the bread bought today will be mouldy by Friday.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,591 ✭✭✭gabeeg

Whispered wrote: »
    I ordered an extra 5l water, two bottles of wine and some extra fuel for the stove. Everything else we have as part of our weekly shop. I did do the shopping a day early, so it's to arrive tomorrow instead of Wednesday. I'm just hoping that Tesco don't send my shopping with a load of things left off or substituted because of panic buying.

What's the story with the post. Do they generally still deliver unless there is a status red? I'm awaiting something very very important. (Waterproof gloves for the toddler for snowman building!)

Dude, I don't mean to sound alarmist, but you seem drastically understocked with wine.

Petal765 wrote: »
    Does anyone know how to prevent heat loss from windows? Have the heating on full blast but can't keep the upstairs rooms warm, wouldn't bother me but I've 2 young children and the rooms are around 13/14 degrees, anyone any ideas?

I hung a second set of curtains behind the usual ones in my room. Really handy to use a tension rod and attach it within the window. It made a massive difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 667 ✭✭✭Altreab

unless its kept somewhere cold ... like outside :):D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,562 ✭✭✭kingshankly

I’d imagine most people have a freezer

• Registered Users Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭Popoutman

Worth looking at the likes of naan bread, bagels, cook at-home rolls, and things like that with longer dates. Better than mouldy bread.

gabeeg wrote: »
    Dude, I don't mean to sound alarmist, but you seem drastically understocked with wine.

Sorry. You're right of course. That should have read two extra bottles.
    What can I say, I'm a lightweight!

• Registered Users Posts: 486 ✭✭Duggie2012

I’d imagine most people have a freezer
    People that put bread in the freezer......ugggghhhhhhhhhh

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭Petal765

Whispered wrote: »
    I hung a second set of curtains behind the usual ones in my room. Really handy to use a tension rod and attach it within the window. It made a massive difference.

That's a brilliant idea, especially within the window using a tension rod, going to do that tomorrow

• Registered Users Posts: 3,074 ✭✭✭questionmark?

Do you mean the empty shelves or the eejit wearing shorts!!!!? 😎

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,246 ✭✭✭thomil

Popoutman wrote: »
    Worth looking at the likes of naan bread

Judging by some of the things that were reported in this thread today, that suggestion might trigger some instances of naan violence...

Come on, someone had to do it ;)

Good luck trying to figure me out. I haven't managed that myself yet!

Advertisement