Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Severe Winter Weather: ESSENTIAL PREPARATIONS, TRAVEL ADVICE, DRIVING TIPS & CLOSURES

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭my3cents

listermint wrote: »
    No, thats just ridiculous.

We are plumbing the depths of history now but I can remember my father having a little paraffin heater that he used to put under the engine of the car when it was in the garage back in the 60's. Not suggesting thats a good idea obvious fire risk, suspect he just placed it under the radiator?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,161 ✭✭✭PukkaStukka

Here's a tip for anyone with a condenser boiler. It will have a small drain pipe or tube which usually drips the condensate outside into a drain or shore. Make sure this does not freeze up or become obstructed with ice or snow, otherwise it will back up with water / ice and can lead to the boiler shutting down.

If you think it has frozen up, Pour hot water over the pipe (outside the house) and this should melt and release any frozen contents.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,700 ✭✭✭Mountainsandh

dense wrote: »
    OT I know, but was it a Corolla?

Hi Dense, yes, my boootiful bootiful green Corolla. It's in the hands of another now, I have a new (used) Corolla. The green one is still going.

I am like a refuge for old Corollas, I buy them old and keep them long, love the reliability of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,302 ✭✭✭greasepalm

Here's a tip for anyone with a condenser boiler. It will have a small drain pipe or tube which usually drips the condensate outside into a drain or shore. Make sure this does not freeze up or become obstructed with ice or snow, otherwise it will back up with water / ice and can lead to the boiler shutting down.

If you think it has frozen up, Pour hot water over the pipe (outside the house) and this should melt and release any frozen contents.

ha ha thanks alot for that my pipe is about 20ft long and forgotten about and with fecked ankle cant access it for the moment:eek: cheers for smacking my head as its a good wake up .

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 48 Rugby123innow

Pot belly fires heat up the whole house and are super cheap, best tip there is

• Advertisement

Is it worth putting a blanket on the car engine?

Friend did it back in the 80's on his fiesta. Forgot to take it off and drove from phibsboro to blackrock.
    It cost him a lot of cash to repair it.

Modern cars are far more tolerant of cold than their older peers. Assuming it has coolant or antifreeze, the engine completely freezing should not be a problem.

If possible, park the nose of the car facing a wall or away from the wind.

If starting a diesel car from cold, key on and key off twice or thrice before cranking it. These additional cycles will run the glow plugs for longer overall and make starting the car easier. Some cars also have a fuel heater in the system and the extra key cycles will help get the fuel warmer that bit quicker.

And finally, if you have any doubts about your battery, get it changed now as the cold will kill it if it's on it's last legs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭az2wp0sye65487

I live on the Northside of Dublin and work in Kildare. Most of my daily commute is M50 & N7/M7.

Just thinking about a scenario where I go to work when the weather is fine and then during the day there's a major event. Getting home may become a nightmare. 2 young kids and pregnant wife at home so dont want to be stuck somewhere away from them.

What is usually a 45 min drive could turn into a coupe of hours depending on the weather. What should I have in the car 'just in case'?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,010 ✭✭✭La.de.da

Pretty pissed with myself that I didn't get the Chimney cleaned or the small crack in the back of the fireplace fixed now I can tell ya.

I live on the Northside of Dublin and work in Kildare. Most of my daily commute is M50 & N7/M7.

Just thinking about a scenario where I go to work when the weather is fine and then during the day there's a major event. Getting home may become a nightmare. 2 young kids and pregnant wife at home so dont want to be stuck somewhere away from them.

What is usually a 45 min drive could turn into a coupe of hours depending on the weather. What should I have in the car 'just in case'?

Full tank of fuel. Car charger for your phone. Overnight bag in case you need to B&B. Something to eat & drink

More importantly though, how far gone is your wife? If she's nearly full term, you might want to consider staying home,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭az2wp0sye65487

Full tank of fuel. Car charger for your phone. Overnight bag in case you need to B&B. Something to eat & drink

More importantly though, how far gone is your wife? If she's nearly full term, you might want to consider staying home,
    Filled the car today. Always a phone charger in the car. Will bring a flask too.

She's 24 weeks. Still a bit to go yet. I won't be going in to work if it's bad any morning or if it has been bad the night before & conditions aren't good.

Just worried about getting caught out after getting to work and then being stuck

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 6,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭Irish Steve

All the items mentioned previously, a good warm coat, the heavier and longer the better, something to put on your head, and gloves, and if you have one, a scarf to help keep the cold out of your core in the event of being caught somewhere difficult.

Shore, if it was easy, everybody would be doin it.😁

• Closed Accounts Posts: 695 ✭✭✭beefburrito

Thinking of changing my tyres on my car myself, it's imperative I won't end up with a neck injury and wrapped around the pier on that big house near Fr Ted's house....lol

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭otherfrog

After a week off, I'll be back to work on Wednesday - talk about great timing.

I get the train in to Heuston from Sallins - based on prior experience, the trains are the most reliable public transport in snow, but with the forecast temperatures, I wouldn't be surprised if there are delays and cancellations due to points failures etc.

Getting my gear together now - basic sensible stuff like gloves, scarf, phone charger, couple of bars and a change of clothes. Also bringing a torch and a high vis vest.

Have a couple of options within walking distance to stay up if I have to. I'd recommend anyone in a similar position to make similar contingency plans - if you're relying on public transport, give yourself a Plan B.

Have a couple of pairs of those over the shoe grips which I strongly suspect I'm going to be using.

In some ways, the worst case scenario for me is the train getting stuck midway and being trapped on board for hours.

For home: bought salt, de-icer, scraper etc. Will leave the attic door ajar from tonight onwards to try and prevent freezing of pipes and leave an old fashioned bulb on.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,133 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

Bring a blanket in a car too.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,652 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Bring a blanket in a car too.
    And water.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,857 ✭✭✭✭listermint

And water.

And a lighter, if you need to burn the car to keep warm.

• Registered Users Posts: 279 ✭✭Colham

I live in Maynooth, my wife has to drive to Limerick for work tomorrow. Leaving around 7am and then leaving Limerick around 2.30pm. Will the weather kick in by then? She's 27 weeks pregnant too. I don't want her to go but her work hasn't canceled anything yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,669 ✭✭✭Darwin

Should be ok, for example have a look here at the Euro 24 model (http://www.weatheronline.co.uk/cgi-b...=&WMO=&MOUSE=1 ) not expecting anything significant until later Tuesday evening/early Wednesday morning.
    Obviously be guided more so by met eireann and watch for updates.

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

Soooo.... Here's my tale of woe.

I have to fly to Southampton on Thursday at 12.30 arriving at 2 and drive with a mate to Stansted (a 120m journey) for a flight at 6. Normally the journey is a 2 hour drive but we're guessing 3 at this point but its all on the M25 so the road should be at least clear of snow (if not of cars).

I really dont have the option of staying home but I'm beginning to wonder if I'm not going to end up huddled in some Applebies roadside 24/7 with 20 other people Thursday night .... :(

ps: Am I right that Met Eireann have down graded their Red to an Orange warning now? I cant see the Red warning I was looking at yesterday on their site at all today.

Southampton to Stansted by road on Thursday is not a journey I'd be wanting to be doing, given the current forecast, you will have to make the call on that at some stage, my gut instinct would be to try and organise a re route, but that may not be possible. Depending on how things go, the first flight may not happen, the south coast is in line for significant snow, and so is Dublin, which could mean that the flights won't operate anyway, and if it does, you would want to be sure that there are no delays, the road journey is likely to take considerably longer than usual, and you don't have a lot of margin to play with based on the timings you've put up.

ME haven't issued a red warning yet, they have stated that they may issue one later this week, that will depend on how the track of the low pressure that's due to cross somewhere in the vicinity of the South Ireland on Friday/Saturday eventually clarifies, it could bring heavy blizzard snow, or snow then rain, and the exact timing and track is very uncertain right now. I would be reasonably confident that the Orange level warning for the East Coast will be extended time wise and possibly also for the area it covers, but that will depend on how the next 24 hours develops.

• Advertisement
  • Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

Yeah, we're trying to re-route at the moment. I've been keeping an eye on the weather forecasts from various sources and most that were forecasting snow on Thursday have now moved that into Tuesday/Wednesday for the UK area I'm looking at. Dublin might be the problem as you say, 6cm being forecast... If we can get to Stansted, we can fly out Friday and still be ok, so I'm more or less resigned to that now but still hoping that this turns out to be a bit of a nothing-burger and we get a light dusting or that its gone by Thursday. :/

I'm certain the Met.ie app was showing a red warning last night (cos I was a bit freaked by it) but maybe it was just Orange.

Don't use the met app, I wasn't aware of anything other than the advisory that was issued on Friday, the first higher level warning that I'm aware of went out today, but that doesn't rule out some confusion in the apps and systems, it's a volatile scenario right now.

Friday out of Stansted should be possible, a lot will depend on the eventual track of this low, Gatwick could be problematic, but Stansted should hopefully be OK, but it's very much "in the air", if you'll excuse the slight pun, we really don't know yet what will or will not be happening at the end of the week

• Registered Users Posts: 4,493 ✭✭✭An Ri rua

La.de.da wrote:
    Pretty pissed with myself that I didn't get the Chimney cleaned or the small crack in the back of the fireplace fixed now I can tell ya.

Go out and buy yourself bluestone (Google it). Cheap in co-ops or maybe pharmacies.
    Only burn hot hot fires. ie bone dry wood in small amounts. ie wood briquettes or such like. That along with bluestone will give your chimney a chance.
    A crack is easily sorted. Depends how handy you are. One small hot wood fire will cure it. And then you're in business.
    Dirty chimneys come from crap coal and wet wood. Only burn hot fires. That may not make sense. But watch your fuel quality.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,990 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

Flying out Friday afternoon.. How screwed am I? I know Friday's a bit vague for predictions, but it's a holiday I don't want to miss. Plus non refundable hotel bookings..

• Registered Users Posts: 23,949 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Snowmaker wrote: »
    Fixed that for ya Joe!

To be fair, we should all remain aware that this could be a devastating week for those in poor underlying health, in fuel poverty, homeless or reliant on steady outdoor work in farming or self-employment. The numbers being progged this morning are unprecedented in the current generation and there will be victims of one sort or another.

Look after your elderly neighbours, your local shops and businesses, animals and birds. After all a day or two of school closures or missed work for those on a salary won't be the worst thing to happen anyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,207 ✭✭✭highdef

ixoy wrote: »
    Flying out Friday afternoon.. How screwed am I? I know Friday's a bit vague for predictions, but it's a holiday I don't want to miss. Plus non refundable hotel bookings..

Still too early to tell for sure but if conditions are as currently forecasted, you won't be flying, assuming you are flying from Dublin.

ixoy wrote: »

Too soon to call with any accuracy, and it may also depend on where you are landing, this cold spell is covering a very wide area, so it won't just be Dublin that's affected, there will be significant disruption over a very wide area of Europe.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,154 ✭✭✭pad199207

Large Snow Shovels €15 in B&Q

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,434 ✭✭✭northgirl

Sorry for the slightly repetitious query but at the moment are flights out of Dublin on Thursday afternoon potentially not going to materialise?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,411 ✭✭✭RocketRaccoon

Can we put an edit about flight situations in the thread title :rolleyes:

Advertisement