Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Severe Winter Weather: ESSENTIAL PREPARATIONS, TRAVEL ADVICE, DRIVING TIPS & CLOSURES

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭Chrongen

Lucreto wrote: »
    My fear is that I get in to work and can't get home again.

I live in Naas and work in Ballsbridge if its bad in Ballsbridge and the trains get shut down I am fecked.

I'm in the same boat.

During ophelia, the buses were running in the morning so people got to work but then Dublin bus shut down services around 11am so people had to scramble to leave work while other got stranded.

• Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭arsebiscuits82

flying out Friday myself for the weekend, first trip out of the country in nearly 4 years. The wife suggested it to me to head away for a weekend away from work/wife/kids as with no.3 on the way it will be my last chance for a while. She's been abroad a few times and basically kept telling me to book something so I booked it.

Just my f##king luck! Had to book a hotel on Dublin for Thursday night to ensure I get to Dublin at least. Hoping for the best, but more than likely i'll be back at home Friday evening.

Sickened

• Registered Users Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

apart from cannibalism do you realise how much duck fat costs??

sorry I am trying to feed a multitude - they will have to do with "stork" :D

Oh and while I'm asking questions, how do you deal with feeding the different sizes. The bigger ones here are scaring the little ones off. Currently have the toddler on "crow duty" but union rules say he will need a break soon.

Have asked my husband to get a bag of coal on his way home. He's gonna hate me :D

• Registered Users Posts: 9,925 ✭✭✭spookwoman

how is that different to the suet that the balls are made of? So they can eat meat/animal derived fats but not margarine/cookeen/ butter? Are they carnivours ?? I think its gonna be a case of whatever I have got and a case of trying to feed as many as I can. I have done this for years and don't see lots of little birds bodies around the garden??

I don't think the crows than ransack bins are that fussy - or magpies, seagulls, starlings. I wish a few of them would die off but its like something out of Hitchcocks The Birds in my garden!
    Birds do need large amounts of saturated fats to replace the vast reserves of energy they use up, especially in winter, but soft fats like this are dangerous, because if clotted on feathers they can damage their insulating and waterproofing capacity.

Dont feed them plain bread, we usually break up bread and leave it soak in the weekend roasts pan.. A good way to make fat cakes is lard melted into a pan add any left over meat diced small, cat / dog food, bread broken up, crushed peanuts, seeds etc and put into a xmas pudding container and left to set. one of these lard masses will last about a day. Once they get a taste of it they will come back in their droves.

• Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭gimpotronitus

Due to be driving into Dublin on N7 tomorrow around 6PM. Can easily postpone if needed. Any advice?

• Advertisement

Whispered wrote: »
    Oh and while I'm asking questions, how do you deal with feeding the different sizes. The bigger ones here are scaring the little ones off. Currently have the toddler on "crow duty" but union rules say he will need a break soon.

Have asked my husband to get a bag of coal on his way home. He's gonna hate me :D

I honestly don't know - its a huge problem. The crows are very intelligent and seem to be able to figure out how to knock feeders down and take the top off! They mill all my food but the little ones are getting a bit braver and cleverer too.

Its a hierarchy..... its been going on all Winter and its fascinating to watch. I live near the coast so have seagulls, pigeons, magpies, crows, and all the lovely little ones too including a pair of robins. But its bloody costly at this stage!

crashadder wrote: »
    oh god i need to renew my residence permit on tuesday evening at 19:00 . my employment will be suspended if i couldnt :-) i hope immigration people works on tuesday.

As well as calling them first thing in the morning, I would also send off an email, right now, just advising them of your concern regarding Weather Reports.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

I've a rear wheel drive automatic. If it snows heavily where I am it's staying where it is. I've very bad experiences with it in snow before, it's totally unsuitable for such conditions.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,110 ✭✭✭123balltv

Feel's like Christmas eve :) shops are crazy

• Registered Users Posts: 9,925 ✭✭✭spookwoman

Waterford Regional hospital canceling appointments for wednesday.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,572 ✭✭✭Colser

I asked for more coal and blocks to be bought today because we only got 2 of each at the weekend and you'd swear I asked for gold fecking nuggets...some people still in denial and think that we're mad..well I won't be sharing duvets or the hot water bottle so they can freeze..lol.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

I honestly don't know - its a huge problem. The crows are very intelligent and seem to be able to figure out how to knock feeders down and take the top off! They mill all my food but the little ones are getting a bit braver and cleverer too.

Its a hierarchy..... its been going on all Winter and its fascinating to watch. I live near the coast so have seagulls, pigeons, magpies, crows, and all the lovely little ones too including a pair of robins. But its bloody costly at this stage!

We have a few groups that visit but I'm so attached to our three robins. Really hope they make it through this!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭Chrongen

We have a few groups that visit but I'm so attached to our three robins. Really hope they make it through this!

If you leave food out for birds don't forget to wet the food/breadcrumbs.

Water is just as scarce as food for birds in cold weather.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭JJJJNR

Bird's are eating wet crushed up complete dog food and they can't get enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭snow_bunny

I just put out another 'course' there myself, I find if you break up the nuts by crushing them (used a large bread board) and finely dice the apples or whatever, the smaller birds have a much better chance of getting their fair share. A lot of birds like Thrushs and Blackbirds like to feed on the ground and forage so I scatter it for them rather than using the feeders.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,795 ✭✭✭aidanodr

Just to say guys ... been out and about round cork city and surrounds today at clients etc. The general attitude for some bizarre reason amongst those i talk to re the up coming weather event is YEAH SURE. The amount of cynicism is unreal. ALL thinking this is just being built up out of proportion and many dont believe a word of it.

YET I was in and around a few Dunnes Stores, Tesco's and strangely they are all doing a brisk trade with many shelves empty. Also coal merchants are booming, my wife had to Q, which is not usual where she goes.

So my thought is in public people seem to be saying ah yeah sure, but at the same time stocking up big time. Whats that all about?? Why be like that? Why not take the warnings, prepare, and then just be actually delighted IF THE EVENT Doesnt happen or is not as bad as thought.

Its just pure cynisism and fck you jack me fein society we now have ..

• Registered Users Posts: 12,140 ✭✭✭✭Grandeeod

flying out Friday myself for the weekend, first trip out of the country in nearly 4 years. The wife suggested it to me to head away for a weekend away from work/wife/kids as with no.3 on the way it will be my last chance for a while. She's been abroad a few times and basically kept telling me to book something so I booked it.

Just my f##king luck! Had to book a hotel on Dublin for Thursday night to ensure I get to Dublin at least. Hoping for the best, but more than likely i'll be back at home Friday evening.

Sickened

Think positive. Hope it works out for you.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,611 ✭✭✭david75

Stupid question but are sesame seeds any good for birds?
    We have two big packets of them and wouldn’t want to put them out in case their harmful

• Registered Users Posts: 1,439 ✭✭✭tupenny

Most likely a dumb Q!!
    But re. Feeding birds, has any1 any advice on how to do so without attracting mice / rats?
    We always used to feed the birds til we had a mouse prob and were told to get rid of bird feeder.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,884 ✭✭✭Tzardine

tupenny wrote: »
    Most likely a dumb Q!!
    But re. Feeding birds, has any1 any advice on how to do so without attracting mice / rats?
    We always used to feed the birds til we had a mouse prob and were told to get rid of bird feeder.

Bird feeders that have suction thingys so you can put them up high on window.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭mobil 222

Don't forget Robins are ground feeders.
    I had a few robins,finches,two doves before Christmas now the garden is full of them.
    Also be careful with feeders because any seed that falls out can attract rats and mice.
    I set up a make shift feeder for the birds using a old table with 4 plastic sweet tins.I cut out an opening on each end and they fly in and out
    Happy birds but expensive hobby.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,438 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

spookwoman wrote: »
    Birds do need large amounts of saturated fats to replace the vast reserves of energy they use up, especially in winter, but soft fats like this are dangerous, because if clotted on feathers they can damage their insulating and waterproofing capacity.

Dont feed them plain bread, we usually break up bread and leave it soak in the weekend roasts pan.. A good way to make fat cakes is lard melted into a pan add any left over meat diced small, cat / dog food, bread broken up, crushed peanuts, seeds etc and put into a xmas pudding container and left to set. one of these lard masses will last about a day. Once they get a taste of it they will come back in their droves.

A big bag of fat balls from Dealz, only costs €2 will do the business.

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭Vxlks

Does anybody honestly think school in dublin will be cancelled? or is the 6cm on tuesday night not enough?

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭snow_bunny

david75 wrote: »
    Stupid question but are sesame seeds any good for birds?
    We have two big packets of them and wouldn’t want to put them out in case their harmful

Yes, they're fine, fair play to you.

However, the gang in my back garden have turned their noses up at them for some reason?!

Top picks seem to be:

Diced apple & pears
    Mixed nuts
    Porridge oats (dry)
    Soaked dried fruit like raisins (should be soft and plump)
    Brie rinds
    some wet catfood
    leftover sausages
    Any leftover berries
    Peanut butter smeared on all of the above

• Registered Users Posts: 2,478 ✭✭✭NinjaTruncs

Vxlks wrote: »
    Does anybody honestly think school in dublin will be cancelled? or is the 6cm on tuesday night not enough?

Our school has emailed to say if there is a red warning they will be closed, so regardless of how the conditions play out if ME call a red warning schools will be closed.

4.3kWp South facing PV System. South Dublin

• Registered Users Posts: 30 Mrsweasley

Can anyone make a guess as to what time the East will be worst hit on Friday ? Have to travel M50 then M9. Many thanks is advance

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

JJJJNR wrote: »
    Bird's are eating wet crushed up complete dog food and they can't get enough.

They will eat anything. Saw a half dozen crows at the queue in Supermacs earlier..

• Registered Users Posts: 619 ✭✭✭vistafinder

spookwoman wrote: »

And bird feeders need to be cleaned regular + the area they are being fed from needs to be moved fairly often.

They dont eat from the same table in the wild.

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭mobil 222

Tzardine wrote: »
    Bird feeders that have suction thingys so you can put them up high on window.

I had set up a fat ball container in the garden back in October.
    It was placed about two foot off ground using blocks
    I put two holes each side where they could fly in and out.
    Everything was going great until one day I happen to look out the window and there was a rat doing his best to climb up and get in the hole.
    He had succeeded to get as far as the hole but it was two small for him.

What I done since is described in a post above using chicken wire around ground level around the feeders

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Vxlks wrote: »
    Probably won't be cancelled on Wednesday, but Eoghan Murphy said on the radio that a red warning automatically means schools close. And going by the charts, that seems likely for the East towards Thursday and Friday. Unlikely we'll see it upgraded until some time Wednesday though.

Advertisement