Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garda & Cyclist close call

Options
  • 10-05-2016 11:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 19,613 ✭✭✭✭

Close enough call with an unmarked Garda in the bus lane. It seems the car drove right up the cyclists back wheel to scare him, then when they're stopped the Garda pulls his badge

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,493 ✭✭✭daymobrew

Please report this to the Garda Ombudsman.

With respect to "blocking the bus lane", you are right to do that so that a vehicle does not overtake dangerously close. It is called "taking the lane" and is good practice.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭68 lost souls

Muahahaha wrote: »
    Close enough call with an unmarked Garda in the bus lane. It seems the car drove right up the cyclists back wheel to scare him, then when they're stopped the Garda pulls his badge

Should have got his badge number and reported him

• Registered Users Posts: 2,523 ✭✭✭Traumadoc

Is that Enda's driver?

• Registered Users Posts: 35,689 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

Should have got his badge number and reported him

Face is clear as day as is reg of car, looks off duty? In his private car?
    That is dangerous driving full stop. Hope he's made famous like the '' do you know who I am guy ''

• Registered Users Posts: 23,278 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Worst driving I've seen in a long time, absolutely report him to the Garda ombudsman / GSOC.
    You were right to pull out as there was no safe place to pull him and let him pass as that's what he was insisting on doing

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

video boy moved out in the lane to block the car

hE1wy0b.jpg

CAwrRa0.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 35,689 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

gctest50 wrote: »
    video boy moved out in the lane to block the car

Yea he should of cycled into the gutter. Or maybe just get off the road altogether and walk on path.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,775 ✭✭✭✭Slattsy

Could he have blocked any more of the road? I've cycled that stretch of road many times and plenty of room to let cars by.

And as poster says above, he deliberately pulls out in front of car..
    Serious attitude problem. Its almost like he was looking for trouble, he couldnt wait to get the camera on him and then "everything is recorded, watch what you say" :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 9,316 ✭✭✭Mycroft H

He failed the attitude test without even getting off the bike :D

• Registered Users Posts: 23,278 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Slattsy wrote: »
    Could he have blocked any more of the road? I've cycled that stretch of road many times and plenty of room to let cars by.

And as poster says above, he deliberately pulls out in front of car..
    Serious attitude problem. Its almost like he was looking for trouble, he couldnt wait to get the camera on him and then "everything is recorded, watch what you say" :rolleyes:

Audi don't make busses. Car shouldn't have been in the bus lane . The car tried to dangerously over take him , the safest place was to position himself as himself in the middle so the car can't cut him off.

Also it looks like a cargo bike so it's longer and wider than standard bikes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

Just another one that's looking for "likes"

• Registered Users Posts: 36,165 ✭✭✭✭ED E

He cycled defensively. If you pull tight and car squeezes by you end up going over a bollard, if you occupy the lane when needed you prevent a dangerous overtake. Remember this is a cargo bike, he cant turn or stop on a dime.

Most likely a personal vehicle, no radio mounted on the lower side of the dash like the unmarked Mondeos.

Hope he reported the prick.

ted1 wrote: »
    Audi don't make busses. Car shouldn't have been in the bus lane . The car tried to dangerously over take him , the safest place was to position himself as himself in the middle so the car can't cut him off.

The car was a Garda car.
    Quite entitled to drive in the bus lane

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Cyclist needs to go get some lessons on how to stay safe and not be such a fool cycling out in front of a vehicle like he did.

Please go do yourself a favour and cop on to yourself.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,827 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeeee

The car drove aggressively right at the cyclists back wheel. There wasn't enough room for the car to go by the cargo bike safely. There really wasn't. Cyclist defended his position and stopped a dangerous close pass. Fair play to him for having the wherewithal to do it. He was absolutely right to do so. Absolutely no justification for drivers actions there.

ED E wrote: »
    He cycled defensively. If you pull tight and car squeezes by you end up going over a bollard, if you occupy the lane when needed you prevent a dangerous overtake. Remember this is a cargo bike, he cant turn or stop on a dime.

Most likely a personal vehicle, no radio mounted on the lower side of the dash like the unmarked Mondeos.

Hope he reported the prick.

Calm down...

There is plenty of room on that road and the guy on the cargo bike should maybe consider learning how to ride it safely as pulling out to punish anyone as he did was silly.

That camera doesn't show the true width of road at that point.

He should keep as far left as is safe to do so but he decides oh I will go and ride out nearly touching the bus lane white line.

Calm down...

There is plenty of room on that road and the guy on the cargo bike should maybe consider learning how to ride it safely as pulling out to punish anyone as he did was silly.

That camera doesn't show the true width of road at that point.

He should keep as far left as is safe to do so but he decides oh I will go and ride out nearly touching the bus lane white line.

*sigh* oh my. There isn't, there really isn't enough room for the car to go by a cargo bike in that lane. Cargo bikes are wider than normal bikes, and squeezing by with inches to spare isn't enough room :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,338 ✭✭✭Negative_G

Car shouldn't have been in the bus lane.

Except of course when the bus lane is not operational which may be the case along that part of the quays as it is not 24 hours.

It may well have been an official car also.

gadetra wrote: »
    *sigh* oh my. There isn't, there really isn't enough room for the car to go by a cargo bike in that lane. Cargo bikes are wider than normal bikes, and squeezing by with inches to spare isn't enough room :rolleyes:

Sigh oh sigh.

If it were a truck or bus I would agree but the car was actually out over the white line and it was actually very slow.

If you all think this is deadly you in for a real shock if you were to go onto youtube and look up crashes and dashcam footage.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,316 ✭✭✭Mycroft H

Negative_G wrote: »
    Except of course when the bus lane is not operational which may be the case along that part of the quays as it is not 24 hours.

It may well have been an official car also.

Garda is exempt from a lot of the Road Traffic laws no matter what he's driving in

• Advertisement

Sigh oh sigh.

If it were a truck or bus I would agree but the car was actually out over the white line and it was actually very slow.

If you all think this is deadly you in for a real shock if you were to go onto youtube and look up crashes and dashcam footage.

:confused: If it's not ok for a truck or a bus it's not ok for a car? The car was not over the white line, he was on it, but not really over it. The traffic in the lane beside him was heavy, it wasn't safe to over take the bike in the way he was going to, no matter how you want to spin it. It was a dangerous and unnecessary manouevre.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,338 ✭✭✭Negative_G

Mycroft H wrote: »
    Garda is exempt from a lot of the Road Traffic laws no matter what he's driving in

Assuming this applies only when they are carrying out official duties.

Not when they need to run to the shop for milk.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

Cyclist needs to go get some lessons on how to stay safe and not be such a fool cycling out in front of a vehicle like he did.

He kept himself safe by doing exactly that.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,547 ✭✭✭✭aloyisious

The car-driver has an obligation to use due care and attention when driving. The bike is shown on the camera footage as having a large basket-type fitting on the front enlarging it's overall size, which the car-driver may not have seen as he was behind the cyclist. The advice for cyclists is to occupy the proper amount of road space needed to ensure their safety from motor vehicles alongside or trying to overtake them on the road. That may not suit the driver of a vehicle behind a bicycle but bullying the cyclist by use of the vehicle is the same thing motorists are warned about using towards other motorists on carriageway lanes, the difference being the cyclist is not cocooned inside a vehicle providing some physical safety.

On the use of bus-lanes, a lot of motorists, incl Bus drivers, don't know that Leo Varadkar, while in the Environment Dept circa Oct/Nov 2011, changed the rules on bus lane use to allow cyclists also use them. Personally I prefer the cycle-lane where provided but will use the road when the lane is blocked by oddly-parked cars and lorries.

• Registered Users Posts: 851 ✭✭✭Simon201

Not really siding with anyone on this but whoever is wrong or right here, I think bike riders always need to remember the inevitable score when these two vehicles come into contact.

Car and driver - 1
    Bike and rider - 0

• Registered Users Posts: 18,882 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Also it looks like a cargo bike so it's longer and wider than standard bikes.

It's not a buslane between 10 and 12 from the look of the shadows and lack of traffic it could have been the correct lane for the car to be in.

He should have taken the lane at the start not when there was a car by his side, yes the car was in the wrong for trying to pass but swerving into a car is never going to end well for a cyclist.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

Simon201 wrote: »
    Not really siding with anyone on this but whoever is wrong or right here, I think bike riders always need to remember the inevitable score when these two vehicles come into contact.

Car and driver - 1
    Bike and rider - 0

Which is exactly why he defended himself from a dangerous overtaking maneuver.

• Registered Users Posts: 592 ✭✭✭wotswattage

gadetra wrote: »
    The car drove aggressively right at the cyclists back wheel. There wasn't enough room for the car to go by the cargo bike safely. There really wasn't. Cyclist defended his position and stopped a dangerous close pass. Fair play to him for having the wherewithal to do it. He was absolutely right to do so. Absolutely no justification for drivers actions there.

I disagree. There was plenty of space for both. Even when the Garda car stopped it was still fully within the bus lane and on the left of the argument there were other cyclists undertaking the cargo bike. There was room in the lane for a bike, a cargo bike and a car! I've often cycled passed stationary buses on that stretch of road with loads of room on my outside.

Ok the driver was aggro after he was cut off but the cyclist was being overly militant and looking to wind people up.

Look at his other videos he boasts about splitting lanes between cars and hurting pedestrians if they get in his way. What if a driver will put up youtube videos where he/she threatens to hurt wayward cyclists??

One more thing directed at the uploader, if that's an undercover (note not unmarked) Garda car and not a Guards private car I wouldn't be putting up registration details or detectives faces in the public domain...

• Registered Users Posts: 36,165 ✭✭✭✭ED E

What if a driver will put up youtube videos where he/she threatens to hurt wayward cyclists??

Nothing happens. A DB driver threatened to run a cyclist over remember? "I'll f-ckin kill you" or something to that effect.

• Advertisement

I cycle that way every week. There is absolutely not enough room on that stretch of road for a car to safely overtake a cargo bike without going across the white line into the lane beside it.

I haven't seen any of the cyclists other videos (my life is too short) so I can't judge his behaviour in other situation but in this case IMO he was justified in his position.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement