Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garda & Cyclist close call

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

gadetra wrote: »
    *sigh* oh my. There isn't, there really isn't enough room for the car to go by a cargo bike in that lane. Cargo bikes are wider than normal bikes, and squeezing by with inches to spare isn't enough room :rolleyes:

no prob here :

• Registered Users Posts: 9,316 ✭✭✭Mycroft H

Negative_G wrote: »
    Assuming this applies only when they are carrying out official duties.

Not when they need to run to the shop for milk.

See that's where it gets woolly. A Garda is really never off duty. Yes, they may not be on shift or in work, but, they still have the force of law behind them if needs be.

Who knows, he may have been a detective in plain clothes.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,932 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Negative_G wrote: »
    Assuming this applies only when they are carrying out official duties.

Not when they need to run to the shop for milk.

Gardai are always on duty.

• Registered Users Posts: 592 ✭✭✭wotswattage

ED E wrote: »
    Nothing happens. A DB driver threatened to run a cyclist over remember? "I'll f-ckin kill you" or something to that effect.

I'm talking about a driver themselves getting a dash cam and putting up videos titled JUMP INTO MY WAY U GET HURT targeting cyclists...

EDIT: said I'd ad the video I'm talking about for clarity

• Registered Users Posts: 664 ✭✭✭Yer Aul One

I am 50/50 on this. I do think the car got too close to him initially, then i think the cyclist pushed out too far in almost retaliation.

But something I am totally sure about is that the cop accelerating right up to his wheel after that is atrocious behaviour. Nice garda car but!

• Advertisement

I cycle that way every week. There is absolutely not enough room on that stretch of road for a car to safely overtake a cargo bike without going across the white line into the lane beside it.

I haven't seen any of the cyclists other videos (my life is too short) so I can't judge his behaviour in other situation but in this case IMO he was justified in his position.

And my life is too short to post a screenshot from the video showing the car, bike and cargo bike all 3 abreast within the bus lane.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,159 ✭✭✭jelutong

Even if the cyclist was out of order does it excuse the the attitude of the front seat passenger? What's it got to do with him? Aren't we lucky to have those brave men defending us against dangerous cyclists. The cheek of him to speak up for himself.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,832 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeeee

gctest50 wrote: »
    no prob here :

<snip>

Oh that was tight!

In fairness two very different situations. There's a world of difference in those two videos, they're not comparable situations at all! One an attempted aggressive overtake in moving traffic with not enough room to do so. The second video is of filtering. I wouldn't have the balls to have done it on a cargo bike myself but as the subject of this thread is the first video, a completely different situation, I have to say it was a completely unnecessary and indefensible move on the garda's behalf.

I am 50/50 on this. I do think the car got too close to him initially, then i think the cyclist pushed out too far in almost retaliation.

But something I am totally sure about is that the cop accelerating right up to his wheel after that is atrocious behaviour. Nice garda car but!

I do agree here, but some cyclists (and I am a cyclist) want one set of rules when a car is passing them out but feel a completely different set apply when they are passing cars....

• Registered Users Posts: 686 ✭✭✭Terrlock

The car was driving way to aggressively and totally in the wrong here.

He had no consideration for the life of the cyclist what so ever.

He needs be taken off the road altogether with that type of behavior.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,921 ✭✭✭kirving

ED E wrote: »
    Nothing happens. A DB driver threatened to run a cyclist over remember? "I'll f-ckin kill you" or something to that effect.

To be honest I don't think that was an actual threat at all, more of a genuine warning to the cyclists who was in a dangerous position, where the tone of the drivers voice/accent didn't suit what he was trying to say.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,300 ✭✭✭dunworth1

One would wonder what would have happened if the cyclist had to brake while the car was practically on his back.

Going from the other video that was posted that cyclist isn't a good cyclist but still no excuse to get threatened like that especially from someone who is supposed to protect you from this sort of thing

Should be reported if a normal member of the public did that and a squad car spotted it they would have been pulled

Being a garda should not mean that you are above the law.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,707 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

bubblypop wrote: »
    The car was a Garda car.
    Quite entitled to drive in the bus lane

Wasnt a Garda car. State cars don't have insurance discs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,707 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

https://www.google.ie/search?q=off+duty+garda&oq=off+duty+garda&aqs=chrome..69i57.3674j0j7&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

of course Gardai can be off duty they might be bound to not let crimes go ignored but they don't get to drive in Bus lanes
    mate of mine got a ticket from a Traffic Sargent before who told him to put his ID away

• Registered Users Posts: 664 ✭✭✭Yer Aul One

I do agree here, but some cyclists (and I am a cyclist) want one set of rules when a car is passing them out but feel a completely different set apply when they are passing cars....

Yea I know, like its totally unacceptable for them for them to have to stop behind a bus/car. I know people want to keep the momentum up but some of the weaving in between lanes of stopped traffic is so dangerous.
    People need to realise that vast majority of drivers are not good at looking in their mirrors!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,539 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

gctest50 wrote: »
    no prob here :
    No actual issue with the lane splitting as traffic is stationary, he is an outrageous c*ck to the pedestrians though, being in the right and being right are two completely different things.
    I cycle that way every week. There is absolutely not enough room on that stretch of road for a car to safely overtake a cargo bike without going across the white line into the lane beside it.
    Completely agree, the only mistake was that the camera makes it look like he does it intentionally. The AUDI was already trying to overtake when he was in the correct position which would have skimmed him, he pulled out ASAP to make sure it did not happen. It was the right call.

Does that make him a good cyclist, of course not, he was right in this scenario but in the few videos that autoplayed on youtube he has shown some downright outrageous cycling in regards treatment towards pedestrians. If I didn't know any better, I would bet his bike was an AUDI.
    jelutong wrote: »
    Even if the cyclist was out of order does it excuse the the attitude of the front seat passenger? What's it got to do with him? Aren't we lucky to have those brave men defending us against dangerous cyclists. The cheek of him to speak up for himself.
    not at all, I see stupid sh1t all the time when cycling or driving, does it give me the right to physically threaten or potentially harm the other person, of course not. Unless they are actively putting me in danger, then that's it, no matter what the adrenaline spike is telling me.

Passing stationary traffic in a vehicle where very tight control is possible at the slow speed being undertaken, or passing moving traffic in a vehicle that needs wider lanes the faster it goes due to unnoticeable issues when you are in said vehicle. Completely different scenarios and issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭daveharnett

if that's an undercover (note not unmarked) Garda car and not a Guards private car I wouldn't be putting up registration details or detectives faces in the public domain...

If an undercover cop is flashing his badge at gopro-wearing cyclists who piss him off, then it's in everybody's best interest that he gets back to stamping passport forms where he belongs.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,248 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Traumadoc wrote: »
    Is that Enda's driver?

No. I don't have one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,450 ✭✭✭Harrybelafonte

The main lesson from this thread is that drivers, including many who respond in this thread, do not understand what a safe passing distance is.

Also GoPro cyclists are pricks and dashcams are all good cos they have a different use. Or something.

Everytime I come on to these forums anymore I lose a little more faith in humanity and god, I really thought I was at my lowest point for that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,297 ✭✭✭✭Jawgap

If an undercover cop is flashing his badge at gopro-wearing cyclists who piss him off, then it's in everybody's best interest that he gets back to stamping passport forms where he belongs.

He wasn't an undercover officer.

That looks like a ministerial car so he was likely on his way from the Depot to the Dail - no reason for him to be in the bus lane, or if he really had to be in the bus lane because it was an urgent matter then he should've had his 'blues and twos' on.

He was basically using the bus lane to suit himself; for his own convenience - and got annoyed enough to, imo, use a ton of metal to try and intimidate a cyclists who, at worst was a little bit too far out in the bus lane.

• Advertisement

Also GoPro cyclists are pricks and dashcams are all good cos they have a different use. Or something.

What about those of us who use the 'GoPro' (in my case it's a Virb) on the bike, but also the same camera as a dashcam :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,492 ✭✭✭stoplooklisten

Terrible driving and he should be held accountable.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,140 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

As I understand the rules of the road, a cyclist is 'entitled' to as much space as a car, if he chooses to cycle in the middle of the lane and not let me pass, it's tosserish, but not illegal. If I try to force him into the side to try and get past and speed up to a short distance from his wheel, I am a dangerous driver, garda or not.

Jawgap wrote: »
    He wasn't an undercover officer.

That looks like a ministerial car so he was likely on his way from the Depot to the Dail - no reason for him to be in the bus lane, or if he really had to be in the bus lane because it was an urgent matter then he should've had his 'blues and twos' on.

He was basically using the bus lane to suit himself; for his own convenience - and got annoyed enough to, imo, use a ton of metal to try and intimidate a cyclists who, at worst was a little bit too far out in the bus lane.

Why should he have 'blues and twos' on?
    Just because something is urgent, doesn't mean it's an emergency.

Anyway, I think there was a pair of them in this, cyclist did cycle out to the middle of the lane after the driver started driving a little aggressively.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,834 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

driver started driving a little aggressively.

A 'little' aggressively? He accelerated right up to the arse of the cyclist. That's full on dangerous.

Why should he have 'blues and twos' on?
    Just because something is urgent, doesn't mean it's an emergency.

Anyway, I think there was a pair of them in this, cyclist did cycle out to the middle of the lane after the driver started driving a little aggressively.

I agree there was two of them in it, but where in the legislation does it say anything other than a PSV or a bike can use a bus lane?

If time and therefore speed is important, then emergency vehicles should be able to use the bus lanes under the "Ways and Means" Act, but given the potential for pedestrians and other road users to be impacted by such speed common sense would dictate using the lights and siren in an urban area. The fact he wasn't, and that he had time to stop, interact with the cyclist and flash the badge suggests his errand wasn't that urgent.

Anyway, if was on a working job there'd have been two of them in the car.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,492 ✭✭✭stoplooklisten

When passing a road junction coming from the left on your bicycle, it is taught to children that they "take the lane" on the road to increase visibility.

@0.13 cyclist is passing a road coming from the left. At the same moment the garda is trying to overtake him.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,254 ✭✭✭Chiparus

A lot of guards seem use the bus lane getting to work on Pierce street, I have seen them "flash the card" at the motorbike cop who sometimes is there to stop private vehicles using the bus lane.

It also allows free carparking outside the station and other privilages.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 726 ✭✭✭RIGHTisRIGHT

Muahahaha wrote: »
    Close enough call with an unmarked Garda in the bus lane. It seems the car drove right up the cyclists back wheel to scare him, then when they're stopped the Garda pulls his badge

The public have cameras these days good job too.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 726 ✭✭✭RIGHTisRIGHT

I disagree. There was plenty of space for both. Even when the Garda car stopped it was still fully within the bus lane and on the left of the argument there were other cyclists undertaking the cargo bike. There was room in the lane for a bike, a cargo bike and a car! I've often cycled passed stationary buses on that stretch of road with loads of room on my outside.

Ok the driver was aggro after he was cut off but the cyclist was being overly militant and looking to wind people up.

Look at his other videos he boasts about splitting lanes between cars and hurting pedestrians if they get in his way. What if a driver will put up youtube videos where he/she threatens to hurt wayward cyclists??

One more thing directed at the uploader, if that's an undercover (note not unmarked) Garda car and not a Guards private car I wouldn't be putting up registration details or detectives faces in the public domain...

Well how can be undercover behaving like a total animal and pulling his badge on camera as part of a dick measuring contest?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement