Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garda & Cyclist close call

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,956 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Made it onto broadsheet, there are some dumber comments on there than on here. Cyclist did nothing wrong (in this video). The driver should be given a stark warning, and fined for dangerous driving.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

What a tool! (i'm talking about the cyclist) He could have easily allowed that car to pass, but insisted on blocking it!

Classic example of a vigilante cyclist out looking for something to complain about. All he had to do was move to the left for a second, the car would have passed by, no problem. Who cares that the car was driven by a Garda.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,254 ✭✭✭Chiparus

07Lapierre wrote: »
    What a tool! (i'm talking about the cyclist) He could have easily allowed that car to pass, but insisted on blocking it!

Classic example of a vigilant cyclist out looking for something to complain about. All he had to do was move to the left for a second, the car would have passed by, no problem. Who cares that the car was driven by a Garda.
    Yes he needed to get to the next set of lights quicker. its his privilage.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,492 ✭✭✭stoplooklisten

SI No. 182 of 1997. s. 10 http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/eli/1997/si/182/made/en/print

(1) A driver shall not overtake, or attempt to overtake, if to do so would endanger, or cause inconvenience to, any other person.
    (2) A driver shall not overtake, or attempt to overtake, unless the roadway ahead of the driver—

( a ) is free from approaching traffic, pedestrians and any obstruction, and

( b ) is sufficiently long and wide to permit the overtaking to be completed without danger or inconvenience to other traffic or pedestrians.

It is a stated penalty-point offence with 2 points and a fine of €80.

Chiparus wrote: »
    Yes he needed to get to the next set of lights quicker. its his privilage.

So what? If some motorist wants to drive in the bus lane, let him..safer to let him pass (which this cyclist could have done easily)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

Having been sideswiped by various vehicles as they passed, and never been hit from behind by a vehicle, I disagree that it's safer to let an irate driver pass where there isn't clear room.

That driver was in an awful rush to get to the next set of red lights.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 726 ✭✭✭RIGHTisRIGHT

People saying be careful as he might be undercover well if he is he is also useless in that respect also.
    Puts his reg on camera engaged in very reckless and aggressive driving.

He also stuck his mug up for all to see with his badge.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

bubblypop wrote: »
    Anyway, I think there was a pair of them in this, cyclist did cycle out to the middle of the lane after the driver started driving a little aggressively.
    Agreed, though the bulk of the stupidity lies with the Garda car.
    In the past where I've noticed a car behind me trying to decide when to make a dangerous overtake, I've taken more of the lane to remove that decision from them. It's a perfectly valid action and an essential part of defensive road use.

In this case, the cyclist appears to have done this when the car was already mid-overtake (though camera angles can be deceptive), which was a risky move and more aggressive than I would be. Where a driver has already made a stupid decision, the default should be removing yourself from the danger that decision poses. And not "fighting back".

That is, he should have moved left to give himself more space and then made the universal "WTF are you doing you complete moron" arm gestures to the vehicle after it passed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,834 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

Classic example of a vigilant cyclist out looking for something to complain about. All he had to do was move to the left for a second, the car would have passed by, no problem. Who cares that the car was driven by a Garda.

Your first points can be, and probably will be, argued until the cows go home.

But it's still no excuse for the garda to do what he did.

I've been clipped by a wing mirror on the quays on a very quiet Saturday morning when there was much more space available than what there is in the video. Had I held the lane more thoroughly I probably wouldn't have.

• Advertisement

Having been sideswiped by various vehicles as they passed, and never been hit from behind by a vehicle, I disagree that it's safer to let an irate driver pass where there isn't clear room.

In my opinion, from looking at the video posted...there was PLENTY of room to allow the car to pass. That cyclist deliberately blocked the car so that he'd have a video worth posting on Youtube.

seamus wrote: »
    In the past where I've noticed a car behind me trying to decide when to make a dangerous overtake, I've taken more of the lane to remove that decision from them. It's a perfectly valid action and an essential part of defensive road use.

In this case, the cyclist appears to have done this when the car was already mid-overtake (though camera angles can be deceptive), which was a risky move and more aggressive than I would be. Where a driver has already made a stupid decision, the default should be removing yourself from the danger that decision poses. And not "fighting back".

That is, he should have moved left to give himself more space and then made the universal "WTF are you doing you complete moron" arm gestures to the vehicle after it passed.

Absolutely! well said!

• Registered Users Posts: 24,964 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

ED E wrote: »
    Nothing happens. A DB driver threatened to run a cyclist over remember? "I'll f-ckin kill you" or something to that effect.
    What he said was "If you continue to do that I'll run over you" or words to that effect which I took as you'll get yourself killed if you cycle in that manner.

What makes you think nothing was done about it? DB don't publicise their disciplinary outcomes.

SI No. 182 of 1997. s. 10 http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/eli/1997/si/182/made/en/print

You mean the magic points that vanish for some?

• Registered Users Posts: 592 ✭✭✭wotswattage

If an undercover cop is flashing his badge at gopro-wearing cyclists who piss him off, then it's in everybody's best interest that he gets back to stamping passport forms where he belongs.
    Well how can be undercover behaving like a total animal and pulling his badge on camera as part of a dick measuring contest?

The video should be re-titled '2 **** and a GoPro'...

But regardless as to whether he's an ass or not, you could actually get in trouble for posting videos like that. Am I allowed make that point without being accused of taking his side?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,492 ✭✭✭stoplooklisten

seamus wrote: »

I don't think he did it mid overtake. At that time in the video, there is a road coming from the left, which best practice for the cyclist is to move to the centre of the lane he is in to increase visibility. The garda should know that and have anticipated, giving the cyclist enough room to complete the maneuver safely. https://www.britishcycling.org.uk/knowledge/skills/article/izn20130830-Effective-traffic-riding-part-1-0

If the average size recommended by the RSA is 1.75 m +- 0.25m deviation for speed, for a standard bicycle and cyclist, how much space does a cargo bike need and how wide is the bus lane?
    https://www.nationaltransport.ie/downloads/archive/provision_of_cycling_facilities_ch3_2006.pdf

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,268 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

The width of the vast majority of traffic lanes means that you need to at least partly leave the lane to safely overtake a cyclist.

If someone attempts a dangerous overtaking manoeuvre, moving nearer the centre of the lane until the way is clear is probably the safest course of action since they're less likely to try and force their way past.

That isn't retaliation, it's self preservation.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,565 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

In my opinion, from looking at the video posted...there was PLENTY of room to allow the car to pass. That cyclist deliberately blocked the car so that he'd have a video worth posting on Youtube.

There is a pair of them in it.

He moved out after the car moved up far too close.

While the cyclist didn't need to move out (there's room on that bus lane for the car to pass, I cycle it often enough), the car was closer than it should have been in the first instance and before the cyclist reacted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 96 ✭✭TheExile1878

(1) A driver shall not overtake, or attempt to overtake, if to do so would endanger, or cause inconvenience to, any other person.
    (2) A driver shall not overtake, or attempt to overtake, unless the roadway ahead of the driver—

( a ) is free from approaching traffic, pedestrians and any obstruction, and

( b ) is sufficiently long and wide to permit the overtaking to be completed without danger or inconvenience to other traffic or pedestrians.

And what penalties are available for cyclists ?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,565 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

Death.

• Advertisement

But regardless as to whether he's an ass or not, you could actually get in trouble for posting videos like that. Am I allowed make that point without being accused of taking his side?

I agree with your first point there.
    As for your second point and I will admit I don't know the law but I though you have no expectation of privacy in a public place?
    There is CCTV everywhere along with smartphones and dash cams.

So if the Garda do anything wrong we must act like we are in the USSR.
    What happened the nothing to hide nothing to fear concept?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 96 ✭✭TheExile1878

Death.

Wonderful - suits me!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,956 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Here you go

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,834 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

And the reason for him doing so is in the same sentence.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭Fian

It is a minister's car, or perhaps a senior Judge's. The Mercs 'n perks cars are Audi's now, rather than Mercs.

Cyclist was 100% correct to take the lane imo. The Car had tried to overtake him dangerously, that bus lane is too narrow for a safe pass. Pure self preservation. Seems from the other videos the cyclist "has form" but on this occassion he did nothing wrong as far as I am concerned.

There is a pair of them in it.

While the cyclist didn't need to move out (there's room on that bus lane for the car to pass, I cycle it often enough), the car was closer than it should have been in the first instance and before the cyclist reacted.

Agree but the cyclist was in a position to do something. Instead of simply allowing the car to pass he insisted on blocking the car. Yes the motorist should not have acted so aggressively, but he did. Life's too short for these type of altercations! the cyclist should have allowed him to pass. He could still have posted the video and commented on it.

Surprised how much more heat than light comes out of these threads when this is a cycling forum for discussing cycling issues.

The quays sums up all that is wrong with the city in terms of cycling policy. Cyclists are forced to share the same space as buses, taxis and stationary traffic that is forced to merge in different directions. I would count it as one of the worst stretches in the city.

There have been multiple cycling fatalities and serious injuries on this road over the years.

if you want to change the status quo in this cycling unfriendly city you shouldn't be labasting the cyclist for trying to save his own skin, you should be asking why his is forced to cycle down this sh*tshow in the first place.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,297 ✭✭✭✭Jawgap

No, he can't get into trouble. It was public space and at no point was he asked to stop recording.

ronoc wrote: »
    Surprised how much more heat than light comes out of these threads when this is a cycling forum for discussing cycling issues.

The quays sums up all that is wrong with the city in terms of cycling policy. Cyclists are forced to share the same space as buses, taxis and stationary traffic that is forced to merge in different directions. I would count it as one of the worst stretches in the city.

There have been multiple cycling fatalities and serious injuries on this road over the years.

if you want to change the status quo in this cycling unfriendly city you shouldn't be labasting the cyclist for trying to save his own skin, you should be asking why his is forced to cycle down this sh*tshow in the first place.

Somebody always has to ruin the thread by posting common sense.:p

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,268 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

If the problem is poor driving, then you should address that.

Taking cyclists off the road only validates that behaviour and punishes cyclists instead.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement