Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Post pics of your watches ***Please NO QUOTING PHOTOS***

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,519 ✭✭✭✭dudara

If there is a problem with the chronograph module in the auto version of the Speedy these can be expensive to repair so I'd factor that into any deal you do with your friend.

More details here from Chuck Maddox (RIP) here.

http://chronomaddox.com/speedy_reduced.html
    893bet wrote: »
    600 ish euro for omega to fix. If that watch comes with papers then it is worth 700 euro. In perfect condition worth 1200-1300 in a private sale

I bought an auto speedie last year. It was services the year before I got it, the previous owner had it back for a second service under warranty. When I got it I had to send it back again under warranty and they replaced the whole movement for a finish. Sold it then.

I gave the watch a little wind this morning, and it's running fine so far. I'll wear it for a while to see if the automatic movement is borked or not. I haven't made any deal with my friend yet as I want to see what repair will be needed first.

Got to say that it is a gorgeous watch. The size is perfect for me and I really like the fineness of the markings. Why aren't ladies watches made like this? :)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,934 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

If you don't want it I'll gladly take it off his wrists/hands :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,824 ✭✭✭sparrowcar

Like the look of that, was also tempted by their Ocean Titanium 500 Premium

DT

I considered it for a while and almost convinced myself that it would be a good one that would appreciate in value over the years as touted on some other forums and that's when I stopped that thought process. It might appreciate in 5-10 years by 10-20% but I would hardly have kept it that long. It came down to asthetics and the ocean one black ceramic wins hands down IMO. I just felt the blue titanium 500 writing made it look like a cheap looking watch.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,155 ✭✭✭StereoSound

Just ordered this now, more of an impulse buy then anything else. I like the 70s race chrono look to it. Pretty cool looking watch imo for small money.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B00H47PEF8/ref=mp_s_a_1_1?qid=1451685187&sr=8-1&pi=AC_SX110_SY165&keywords=sekonda+3509

• Registered Users Posts: 4,397 ✭✭✭Deep Thought

sparrowcar wrote: »
    I considered it for a while and almost convinced myself that it would be a good one that would appreciate in value over the years as touted on some other forums and that's when I stopped that thought process. It might appreciate in 5-10 years by 10-20% but I would hardly have kept it that long. It came down to asthetics and the ocean one black ceramic wins hands down IMO. I just felt the blue titanium 500 writing made it look like a cheap looking watch.

I have to say it is nice, how easy is it to read the time at a glance ?

The reason I was looking at the titanium is down to the hands being a bit bigger and its not the usual homage to others...

Very perturbed about this..

The narrower a man’s mind, the broader his statements.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,249 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

The reason I was looking at the titanium is down to the hands being a bit bigger and its not the usual homage to others...

I'll buy either model off you if you buy it and don't like it (if I don't buy one myself first). There's more than a hint of the Pelagos in the steinhart 500, but at least there's a good few differences. Brilliant spec for the price.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,824 ✭✭✭sparrowcar

I've had no issues, very easy to read the time so far. It's actually not been work since the speedy turned up but that will change i'm sure as I don't want to wear the speedy every day.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,837 ✭✭✭893bet

Interview watch!

<SNIP>

Watch worked its magic obviously.

Like waiting for a bus. Waiting ages and then two arrived at once. Two job offers yesterday!

(Hulk, kermit or 39mm OP this year is a must)

• Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭Mredsnapper

Watch worked its magic obviously.

Like waiting for a bus. Waiting ages and then two arrived at once. Two job offers yesterday!

(Hulk, kermit or 39mm OP this year is a must)

That's already nicer than a 39mm OP IMHO

• Registered Users Posts: 8,837 ✭✭✭893bet

That's already nicer than a 39mm OP IMHO

I suspect I might reach same conclusion.

However I want a rolex and there are very few of them I like the look of bar the new OP. Very little interest in any of the other models.

An itch is meant to be scratched!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭Mredsnapper

I suspect I might reach same conclusion.

However I want a rolex and there are very few of them I like the look of bar the new OP. Very little interest in any of the other models.

An itch is meant to be scratched!

Nah, everyone knows that if you scratch an itch it gets worse...😊

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭carrick76

Arrived this morning:)

373881.jpg

carrick76 wrote: »
    Arrived this morning:)

mmmmm......Bell X-1?

mmmmm......Bell X-1?

Yes, was looking at pilot watches for a while. A thread on here started by your good self highlighted this to me. Thanks.

I wasn't sure about the grey strap but looks well in the flesh. Might experiment with some other straps after a while.

Only ordered yesterday and surprised to see it this morning.

carrick76 wrote: »
    Yes, was looking at pilot watches for a while. A thread on here started by your good self highlighted this to me. Thanks.

I wasn't sure about the grey strap but looks well in the flesh. Might experiment with some other straps after a while.

Only ordered yesterday and surprised to see it this morning.

Lovely....

did you order directly?

Surprise on the way myself....

Must be mad...but for €97...

Orange Monster

f9f15c2e9b1d74719de8403278faa4e1_zpsgjjlrcjt.jpg

Lovely....

did you order directly?

Surprise on the way myself....

Yes I did, ordered lunchtime yesterday and delivered this morning.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,112 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Must be mad...but for €97...

Orange Monster
    Ninety seven quid for an Orange monster? You jammy feck. Result. :)

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,558 ✭✭✭Ionised

Wibbs wrote: »
    Ninety seven quid for an Orange monster? You jammy feck. Result. :)

Dammit. I need to replace my Orange Monster...gave mine to my nephew for his 21st.

Thats good money for that for sure.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,112 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

OK first off apologies for the bloody awful phone pics, but I've been taking time readings from this 1971 Longines UltraQuartz for the last few months, roughly(very) every month and TBH I'm floored by how accurate it is. :eek:

w8u7go.jpg

It seems to be running about half a second slow/fast per month and that's consistently. That's high accuracy quartz territory. IIRC Quartz Marine Chronometer rating runs at +/- 6 seconds per year and this wouldn't be far off it. You could actually navigate with the brute. :eek: Not too shabby for an early quartz with the hand cut natural crystal(that's not too far off an inch long) oscillating at 9350 Hz. You can see the whole "cybernetic" thing working too. It's very prone to drift with a shock to the case, but leave it for a while and the quartz master comparison circuit drags the slave tuning fork module that drives the hands back to true.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 992 ✭✭✭bigslick

td2008 wrote: »
    Posted this a few months ago and finally got around to justifying it :pac: (first proper watch)

Junghans Chronoscope

Gorgeous. Im picking up exact same model in March, cannot wait!!:D

How you finding the domed crystal and Sicralan coating?

Wibbs wrote: »
    OK first off apologies for the bloody awful phone pics, but I've been taking time readings from this 1971 Longines UltraQuartz for the last few months, roughly(very) every month and TBH I'm floored by how accurate it is. :eek:

Any recommendations on what Electronic types to purchase?

DT

Well DT the Longines ultraquartz stuff has at least tripled in price of late and TBH, they're really more a display watch than a daily wearer. They're about as resistant to shock as an egg in a tumble drier, after Sir Galahad threw his chain mail in to take the damp out.

The Girard Perregaux 350 series quartz are a good buy generally. Very robust and outside of daft dealer prices can usually be had for 100-200 quid on ebay auctions, sometimes under a 100. Problem being they seem to be much thinner on the ground of late.

Omega Seamaster quartz "Mariners" are very nice and very well bolted together, though common enough and the Omega glow ramps up the price with dealers, though in open no reserve auction can be had for 350-400 quid.

A solid electronic movement would be the French LIP example(their early quartz can be flakier than a leper in a head&shoulders ad, so no good for the newbie). Near bulletproof and it also ticks and has a sweeping seconds hand. Spares aren't an issue either. They come in all sorts of styles, the divers "Nautic-Ski" with the twin crown compressor cases are the most sought after and prices have reflected that over the last few years. 3-500 seems to be the spread in auction. Though I'm really surprised this example hasn't sold. It's a 60's diver in a "skin diver" style case and a half decent size at 38mm and a rare model to be sure. I've never seen another anyway. At 250 quid it's not a rip off IMH and 40 "watching" and no bites? Odd. If that was a Yema with a crappy genetic mechanical movement it would be gone in minutes.

Another electromechanical movement(ESA this time, used by Zenith and Longines among others) is in this oh so 70's tastic German brand Dugena watch. It's gone through twice at a slightly higher price and no bites. And that comes with box and receipt. That has a high beat movement and sweep hand too. Velour flares are not a requirement. :D That general case shape was popular at the time and with a different name on the dial and crappy mechanical movement…

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,382 ✭✭✭firestarter51

got myself another TAG Heuer recently a Formula One calibre S
    i

374190.JPG

• Registered Users Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭MarcusP12

got myself another TAG Heuer recently a Formula One calibre S
    i
    Pic snip.

Creation watches by any chance? Don't see the f1 calibre s very often....nice!

Arrived Today..

Laco Spirit of St Louis

Gonna Change the Strap..one on it is hard as nails

2016-01-09%2011.28.44_zpsup1ih6ay.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 747 ✭✭✭HDMI

I got the offer of a trade just before Christmas, my 2 year old Steinhart GMT in exchange for a titanium Seiko Samurai. Value wise the trade was a no brainer, Samurai value will only increase and currently selling on the bay $600 and up.

SBDA003 blue Samurai from 2008 with all boxes and cards.

20151219_154539_zpskjiroe3a.jpg

And a couple of nights ago I saw this one on eBay.com but with no shipping to Ireland, so off it goes to my in laws in North Carolina to forward it on to me. Chapter ring was modded to all black instead of a white/blue but for the price ya gotta love it.

For $100 and advertised as excellent condition, another no brainer because these only sold for a short time.

Seiko SKXA55 orange Bullet (sellers pic from auction)

s-l16002_zpsgwoq6umr.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭fret_wimp2

HDMI wrote: »
    I got the offer of a trade just before Christmas, my 2 year old Steinhart GMT in exchange for a titanium Seiko Samurai. Value wise the trade was a no brainer, Samurai value will only increase and currently selling on the bay $600 and up.

SBDA003 blue Samurai from 2008 with all boxes and cards.

NO QUOTING PHOTOS. It's right there in the thread title.

And a couple of nights ago I saw this one on eBay.com but with no shipping to Ireland, so off it goes to my in laws in North Carolina to forward it on to me. Chapter ring was modded to all black instead of a white/blue but for the price ya gotta love it.

For $100 and advertised as excellent condition, another no brainer because these only sold for a short time.

Seiko SKXA55 orange Bullet (sellers pic from auction)

NO QUOTING PHOTOS. It's right there in the thread title.

I wanted a samurai so bad when I first got interested in watches! That's a beauty.

• Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭musiknonstop

The postman delivered this today - Orient Blue Ray on rubber (but I may change this to nato).

374660.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,529 ✭✭✭Im_No_Superman

Bought this at the weekend, Orient Black Ray. Absolutely love it, got a few Natos coming in the post this week to try with it too. :)

1g5BfoFl.jpg

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement