Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Post pics of your watches ***Please NO QUOTING PHOTOS***

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,101 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

God that's a real beauty CB. Fantastic patina going on. The original crystal a nice bonus(wish I hadn't got rid of mine). And the original "waterproof" style crown. You rarely see that. They're almost always replaced with later types or to jolly up the price with an oversized pocketwatch crown, which the Helvetia's never had. I love the numeral font on these, very Art Deco. They had me at the aeroplane propeller logo TBH. :)

Oh and I agree re the leather NATO. I don't use mine. As you say if thin of wrist it looks a bit daft. I went back to a standard nylon NATO.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,384 ✭✭✭Deep Thought

I've been hemming and hawing about this for a while but decided to go for it recently.

Whilst it is a bit rough it's keeping good time and still has the original crown and crystal (not to mention the radium). The first challenge is to get the right strap for it - it's on a Timefactors flieger at the moment which is excellent for the money but it needs to have more of a vintaged feel and be a bit bulkier (and of course the strap must worked with the 24mm fixed lugs). I'm not going down the leather NATO route as I feel that, on my titchy wrists, it just looks like there's too much surplus material hanging off the sides. In the long run I may go for a complete cosmetic overhaul as it's not actually an issue piece but I need to ponder on that. I wonder what tales it could tell?

Thats lovely...Helvetia?

The narrower a man’s mind, the broader his statements.

• Registered Users Posts: 673 ✭✭✭CarltonBrowne

Thats lovely...Helvetia?

Yes - by far the most common of the 1928 "Luftwaffe" pattern.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,101 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

1975 Bulova Accuquartz "Centenary" edition. TBH I don't usually get into the ephemera of vintage watches, but have been looking for an original advert for these as the few examples on the interwebs are tiny and blurred and the text is illegible. One came along last week and so in the interests of adding info to this often remarkably murky period of time and for a fiver… I'm adding to nobody's knowledge of anything if it's more than a few quid. I'm a cheap watch whoer. :-)
    ily4bq.jpg
    I sourced another Bulova velour(yeah baby!) strap for it as the original two tone leather(Behave!) bracelet was two long for my wrist.

So the translation is; based on my awful schoolboy French and a dictionary and some anglifying it up, as I was too lazy to type it into an online translator… :o
    1875; Joseph Bulova founded the Bulova company
    1960; Bulova launches the first electronic watch
    (they didn't but…)

15 years later Bulova make the highly reliable electronic watch(? I presume they mean their quartz.)

A maximum variation of one minute per year. This is the remarkable accuracy you are offered today in electronic watches. Incredible progress for your benefit. But what good if you shave seconds per month if your watch is disturbed at any moment? And yet, the only regularity of many electronic watches is the regularity they must be returned to the factory for regulation. Because we do not improvise in a field where technology is paramount(i'm kinda lost there :s).

15 years before. In 1940 Bulova developed quartz crystal technology(I did not know this). In 1960 the Bulova watch company was the first to produce a real electronic watch: the Bulova Accutron tuning fork.

Go forward 15 years, Bulova has met all the conditions of perfect reliability: that today offers the Bulova Accuquartz Centenary(styles for men and women).

One hundred years of experience. A century was time to learn his craft. Did you know that in 1875 that Joseph Bulova founded the U.S A Company that was to become a world leader in quality watchmaking. One hundred years marked by discoveries and advances that today lead to the Bulova Accuquartz Centenary.

The reliability of the Bulova Accuquartz Centenary, your watchmaker knows. Ask him.

*Bulova Accuquartz Electronic made in limited numbers to mark the centenary of Bulova.(The number 100 represented on the dial)

Apologies to all French speakers everywhere.

So it was a limited edition, how limited it was is another days work. The "pure" tuning fork examples seem to come up more commonly. I have three of the quartz ones. Yes. I am quite mad. The other two are steel examples. One Italian, one for the UK market and this gold one for the Belgian/French market. I've never seen this advert(and a smaller B&W one) in anything but French. They were sold in the US alright, but it seems in limited enough numbers as only a couple so far have shown up there(and one had a French day wheel IIRC). Odd given it was probably their largest market. And US buyers seemed to have been more open to funky shagadelic designs than the European. The gold one seems less common. Most that show up on the Bay are the stainless steel. When they do show up new old stock is common enough. So maybe not big sellers. My Belgian example in gold came with the original price tag and was roughly 220 odd dollars in 1975 exchange rate and that was a reduced price as further examination of the tag shows a higher number under, more like 300 dollars. That's Rolex Submariner/Omega Speedy money at the time. Not cheap. I will say, even 40 years on, they're an accurate old thing. One of the most accurate of my quartz'. Well within the original claimed minute per year.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

Yes - by far the most common of the 1928 "Luftwaffe" pattern.
    Aye CB, but rarely enough in that condition, with that originality, with that level of lovely wabi and the larger sized high end movement driving proceedings. Yours is a really sweet example. TBH I think I've seen about three or four of the Hellies as good as yours since the mid 90's and I'm not exaggerating there(which makes a nice change for me, to be fair :-))

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 673 ✭✭✭CarltonBrowne

Wibbs wrote: »
    Aye CB, but rarely enough in that condition, with that originality, with that level of lovely wabi and the larger sized high end movement driving proceedings. Yours is a really sweet example. TBH I think I've seen about three or four of the Hellies as good as yours since the mid 90's and I'm not exaggerating there(which makes a nice change for me, to be fair :-))

Well, that's put the kibosh on a complete restoration, then - cheers mate! As you well know this one falls under the category "Wibbs told me to do it!" so he who is without sin etc...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,318 ✭✭✭✭Menas

Some of you may remember the kickstarter campaign for William L from late last year?
    Well, look at what just arrived. It is a fabulous looking timepiece with a spare band and presented in a very nice little case. I am happy!

IMG_5311.jpg

IMG_5312.jpg

IMG_5313.jpg

IMG_5314.jpg

IMG_5316.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭sparrowcar

Nice menas, I was going to sign up for the rose gold one but never got around to it. Well may you wear.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,558 ✭✭✭Ionised

Almost signed up for that too but had just paid out on the Straton instead.
    Looks really pretty though.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,803 Mod ✭✭✭✭Keano

Got mine too Menas. Do you know how to adjust the size of the metal strap?

• Advertisement

Keano wrote: »
    Got mine too Menas. Do you know how to adjust the size of the metal strap?

Same as this!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

I've the Rose ordered, it hasn't arrived yet once it has I'll upload some photos

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭kramxw

Menas, ordered the exact same version also, looks good in black with the bracelet.

Have a couple of these incoming also.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,236 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

kramxw wrote: »
    Menas, ordered the exact same version also, looks good in black with the bracelet.

Have a couple of these incoming also.

Wow, they look really great!

• Registered Users Posts: 28 STintin

Menas wrote: »
    Some of you may remember the kickstarter campaign for William L from late last year?
    Well, look at what just arrived. It is a fabulous looking timepiece with a spare band and presented in a very nice little case. I am happy!

Cool, how much it cost ?

STintin wrote: »
    Cool, how much it cost ?

€139 was the cost to back the project for this watch.

Its showing now on his website for €149, but only on preorder.

http://www.williaml1985.com/collections/the-chronograph-collection

• Registered Users Posts: 4,278 ✭✭✭gucci

Nice work Menas, I remember debating long and hard about pulling the trigger on one when the kickstarter was here, I just hadn't the spare cash......but reckon I will get one eventually so will be interested to see how it wears for you.
    Good luck with it

• Registered Users Posts: 747 ✭✭✭HDMI

A while back a member here had his yellow SKXA35 for sale but got cold feet when it came time to sell, the fecker said he liked it for fishing :eek: you know who you are :rolleyes:

I have been keeping my eye out and this one popped up on eBay but there was problems with the nasty global shipping program so I messaged the seller and we done the deal outside of eBay which meant I didn't have to pay import fees.

Fitted with a Dagaz Superdome sapphire and sloped bezel with matching hands. It also came with a Strapcode Engineer bracelet with ratchet clasp, 2 zulu straps and the original crystal and hands were also in the package.

The watch sells for about $250 new, the bracelet another $100 and the crystal is $85 + original parts and I got it for $160 which included PayPal fees and shipping from the USA. Excellent deal I reckon :D

Chapter ring is a little out of alignment but I will sort that later.

20160223_144257_zpskmmmuguu.jpg

20160223_151046_zpsua50digv.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 609 ✭✭✭fulladapipes

Posted this on the WRUW wearing thread earlier, but thought it's worth a post here too - my two watches. This is my second Speedmaster Professional...won't be getting rid of this one.

20160223_095752_zpswfllvtah.jpg

2015-12-13%2018.31.27_zps211ucqw5.jpg

2015-12-28%2015.00.41_zpslgtoiene.jpg

Going a tad old school, Longines style.

2vis8pf.jpg

From top; 1911/12, 1916, 1924(the book is from 1908). The piggie in the middle is one I keep coming back to wearing and have done for 20 odd years, sometimes my "daily driver" for many months at a time. Before the wider interwebs it lived on a "ladies" strap, survived that and scary shocks due to my clumsiness and even my earliest relume job... and keeps on ticking*.

*Getting that pic wasn't that easy. All had run down, so I set them to 1:49 for aesthetic's sake, but even the slightest touch had the feckers start running. The too efficient mechanical old bastards that they are. :D

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,630 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

Wibbs, hope you don't mind me asking, how many Longines watches have you to choose from? I mean wearable, working ones?

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

• Registered Users Posts: 992 ✭✭✭bigslick

Speaking of William L, mine also arrived. Really enjoying this watch and the details on it.

XsTgXE.jpg

bigslick wrote: »
    Speaking of William L, mine also arrived. Really enjoying this watch and the details on it.
    That's a very nice bit of kit. Loving the case coating.
    blue5000 wrote: »
    Wibbs, hope you don't mind me asking, how many Longines watches have you to choose from? I mean wearable, working ones?
    Off the top of my head* B I'd reckon 8 wearable and working.

*yep I have it the disease so bad that I'm not quite sure. :-o

• Registered Users Posts: 21,239 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

*yep I have it the disease so bad that I'm not quite sure. :-o

Less than the amount of Russian divers than peasant has though, I'd imagine. He probably counts his by the barrel.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 971 ✭✭✭Senecio

Decided to spoil the wife for her birthday next month. I just hope she likes it as much as I do! Difficult to photograph the face, especially with a phone camera but it's a stunning looking watch.

2nu6jw9.jpg

Longines eh? Never heard of them. :D Nice watch. I actually know someone who has a very similar model if not the same and it's a very nice watch. Lovely dial. Extremely legible.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,269 ✭✭✭dinorebel

Love that WilliamL that could be next for me, I seem to have caught the bug I blame this thread.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,297 ✭✭✭✭Jawgap

378754.JPG

• Closed Accounts Posts: 971 ✭✭✭Senecio

Longines eh? Never heard of them. :D Nice watch. I actually know someone who has a very similar model if not the same and it's a very nice watch. Lovely dial. Extremely legible.

She received her present this evening and the look on her face was priceless, she loves it. I breathed a huge sigh of relief! Will have to post a shot on her wrist once we get the bracelet resized.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 609 ✭✭✭fulladapipes

Decided to try the Speedmaster Professional on a Nato (actually I think it's called a Zulu). I got a leather one, as wasn't 100% sure about some of the striped ones.

It is incredibly comfortable. The leather is thinner than I expected (about 1.5mm), but in fairness it'd have to be to fit through the lugs.

Nothing beats the Omega bracelet for comfort, but as straps go, this leather one is working very well so far. Got it on the Bay for £22 from a seller called watchgecko.

20160304_094532_zpss010gj9o.jpg

20160304_094128_zpsgt8j8cog.jpg

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement