Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Post pics of your watches ***Please NO QUOTING PHOTOS***

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 606 ✭✭✭fulladapipes

Is that hesalite or crystal? (I should possibly know this already...) Love those Speedies and miss mine.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,384 ✭✭✭Deep Thought

new boots for the Moon
    2015-11-03%2019.56.34_zpsqvrizorq.jpg

The narrower a man’s mind, the broader his statements.

• Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭musiknonstop

Shamelessly inspired by peasant :-)

367566.jpg

Shamelessly inspired by peasant :-)

Sadly my radioroom amphibia died today :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,318 ✭✭✭✭Menas

Another vintage omega from me. This one is from 1961 and in great nick. The second hand is old, but not original and is the one thing I dont like about this watch.

IMG_5221.jpg

IMG_5222.jpg

IMG_5219.jpg

IMG_5212.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,635 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

^^^
    Pure class

• Registered Users Posts: 33,519 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Got a news email from Meranom today - so I ordered a Komandirskie 1965 for myself. It's a manual wind watch, which is new for me. I do prefer automatics. But I liked the black face on this one.

Vostok_Komandirskie-1965_2414A_680220_01-600x900.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 754 ✭✭✭mynameis905

Lovely watch dudara. I thought the same until I got my first handwinder but now I much prefer it to automatics.

dudara wrote: »
    Got a news email from Meranom today - so I ordered a Komandirskie 1965 for myself. It's a manual wind watch, which is new for me. I do prefer automatics. But I liked the black face on this one.

I've ordered the gold faced one. It left the factory yesterday, fingers crossed it gets delivered before Christmas.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,696 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

green sort of sunday yesterday :D

A59C0ECC-DA0B-436C-9B2A-2BEA8D2F267D_zpshabtlgny.jpg

• Advertisement

Menas wrote: »
    Another vintage omega from me. This one is from 1961 and in great nick. The second hand is old, but not original and is the one thing I dont like about this watch.

The more eagle eyed if you will have noticed that this watch badly needs a service.
    Not visible to the eye is the gunk inside the movement...but the regulator set to an extreme is a giveaway!

Anyway, this watch and a similar one are with Michael Swift for a service...but wont be back with me until after christmas. :(

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,075 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

I posted a pic of this watch a week or so ago on a mesh strap. Though I got it very cheaply it seems for one of these*, I broke a cardinal rule of mine, namely; "if a watch is best known for having a steel bracelet, then NEVER buy one without as you'll break your feckin heart trying to source one(™)". Ok it's a bit of a mouthful of a rule I grant you, but a good one. But like the gobshíte I am in this case…

Sooo after two or three years of looking, I got nada. When they came up they were either attached to watches for crazy money(to me) or just crazy money(I've seen links go for 50 quid in auctions). Omegamania in a big way. Anyhoo while perusing my usual hail mary ebay searches, one of which is "seemaster". Yep. The bracelet came up(1268/241 for the Omegamaniacs :)). Yay! Got it at auction for 50 quid. The most I have ever paid for a strap. Ever and ever. :eek: It arrived today.

2a7fx4n.jpg

Double bonus was it has all the links so if/when I come to resale more nourished men and women than me are in the picture. I removed four to fit me. One helluva taper on it. The abomination of filth that came out of the ultrasonic cleaning. :eek: Oh. My. God. :D I added bleach into the second wash. Actually a bit of the old domestos sparkles up SS no end.

Shot of it on the oul wristicle.

2n832bt.jpg

Makes a big diff to the watch and now it's "correct". TBH and I'm not sure why, this was always in my mind as a "flipper", a watch I'd sell on quickly. I really liked the watch and love the background of it being Omega's first inhouse quartz at a time when they were at the very forefront of the new tech(and streets ahead of the Japanese). And since I can't afford a Marine Chronometer *sadface*… :) But I didn't flip it. Now this bracelet seals it and I likely won't. I also like how the very early quartz seconds hands hit the marks smack bang on the money. Seiko today make a big deal of this in their Grand Seiko quartz(which BTW don't always hit said markers on the money), yet the Swiss guys and gals were doing it 40 years ago.

/essay. :o

*found the receipt and just over the 200 quid mark, which isn't too shabby. I thought I'd paid more TBH, though 200 is my limit, 250 if I have a (in)decent claret in me. ;-) Thought mine was a 1975, turns out it's a 73, so an early batch.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,624 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

Congrats, I reckon you could sell the spare links at a handsome profit.

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,075 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Aye true enough B and being the cheap bastid I am... however I am middle aged and the spread could hit anytime soon, so it might be prudent to hang onto them… :D I was surprised to find the extra links. It looks like the original owner just used the clasp adjustments to fit. Even with my scrawny wrist I have two links left and I reckon you could get down to even the tiniest lady's wrist no bother. I've never been that much of an Omega fan TBH, but over the years I have noticed they made damn fine bracelets, better than Rolex IMH. Quite a bit better actually, in vintage anyway. Longines have had some cracking bracelets too, but seemed to have been made for either Rambo on (more) steroids or rejects from Trocaire boxes like me. Not much of a middle ground going on. Though for me one of the coolest OEM bracelets was the "ladder" style one on the Zenith Defy Diver. Funkayyy.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 485 ✭✭Lombardo86

I think when you have more than one, it means you have a collection now? If so - i've started my own collection now.

369006.PNG

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Mako on a NATO...

369048.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,750 ✭✭✭ghostchant

Picked this up last week. Getting some assistance with the purchase which means it's now locked away til Christmas

IMAG0538.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 8,758 ✭✭✭893bet

Interview watch!

369138.jpg

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,635 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

What job? MI6?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,277 ✭✭✭gucci

I love the bevelling on that omega watch Wibbs, so well "engineered" looking, but beautifully elegant at the same time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,277 ✭✭✭gucci

My casio a500we.

It may lack the elegance of Wibbs Omega but the functionality of being able to change timezones with such ease is incredibly useful......for a lad that travels 8 miles to work every morning :-)

369427.jpg

gucci wrote: »
    It may lack the elegance of Wibbs 893bet/Ghostchant's Omega
    FYP. :) I have a huge amount of affection for Casio's. Bloody great watches and they really pop in stainless steel.

Funny enough that Omega of mine allows you to change the hour hand/timezone without stopping the watch or moving the minutes hand. It was a big feature of their early quartz movements. Dunno if Omega quartz are still like that?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,758 ✭✭✭893bet

What job? MI6?

I could tell you but Id have to kill you!

• Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭paulanthony

Recently acquired addition - very comfortable

369434.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,750 ✭✭✭ghostchant

Wibbs wrote: »

Funny enough that Omega of mine allows you to change the hour hand/timezone without stopping the watch or moving the minutes hand. It was a big feature of their early quartz movements. Dunno if Omega quartz are still like that?

My quartz Seamaster above has that. Annoyingly it doesn't have a quick-set date though...I'd rather it didn't have a date at all as a result.

Been wearing this a bit.

Orient Curator with Power Reserve.

41mm, Automatic

2015-11-23%2019.35.52_zpsdawtpjgp.jpg

ghostchant wrote: »
    My quartz Seamaster above has that. Annoyingly it doesn't have a quick-set date though...I'd rather it didn't have a date at all as a result.
    Funny enough the original of the species is similar. It does have a quickset day, but not date.
    Been wearing this a bit.
    I can well see why DT. That's a very nice looking timepiece. There's quite a few of the Orient watches that have caught my eye in the last few years.

Wibbs wrote: »

I can well see why DT. That's a very nice looking timepiece. There's quite a few of the Orient watches that have caught my eye in the last few years.

Aye...

150 Euro for a 41mm, Automatic and sapphire,lovely leather strap... good deal

• Registered Users Posts: 1,676 ✭✭✭ArphaRima

[IMG][/img]20151125_230105_zpsmlygk1pk.jpg

My Tag Heuer Monaco has been replaced by a Huawei watch temporarily and my Breitling Transocean is just back from major repairs after a motorbike crash wrecked it.

• Advertisement

fluffer wrote: »

My Tag Heuer Monaco has been replaced by a Huawei watch temporarily and my Breitling Transocean is just back from major repairs after a motorbike crash wrecked it.

If that IWC was a woman I would be breaking the tenth commandment right now. :)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement