Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Post pics of your watches ***Please NO QUOTING PHOTOS***

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 673 ✭✭✭CarltonBrowne

Quite pleased with this one. Advertised with the maker's name misspelt and no reference to the fact it has a solid gold case (I believe 18ct but need to do a bit more research). I was the only bidder. Serial number dates it to 1960.

Clipboard01.jpg

Needs a new crystal and maybe a new dial if this one won't clean up and keeping perfect time. Unfortunately has one of the slightly rarer UG calibres (1105) - if it was something like a Cal. 262 a loose dial tends to come up at least once a week on Ebay.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,318 ✭✭✭✭Menas

Quite pleased with this one. Advertised with the maker's name misspelt and no reference to the fact it has a solid gold case (I believe 18ct but need to do a bit more research). I was the only bidder. Serial number dates it to 1960.

Needs a new crystal and maybe a new dial if this one won't clean up and keeping perfect time. Unfortunately has one of the slightly rarer UG calibres (1105) - if it was something like a Cal. 262 a loose dial tends to come up at least once a week on Ebay.

That will look great when it is spic and span. Do you mind telling us what you got for it?
    I picked up a Breitling from the 1950s earlier today for just over €200 incl P&P. Automatic/date. It too needs a bit of love but should look great after a bit of spit and polish. Not sure it will be a keeper though.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,116 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Quite pleased with this one.
    Ohhh and quite rightly too Sir. :eek: Very nice. I'd reckon a new crystal will make a helluva difference. That case is extremely crisp, doesn't look like it was ever polished. And it could be 18kt gold. You jammy… :D UG made some bloody marvellous watches.

I do love the old spelling errors. Speaking of same, anyone fancy an "Omeaga"? :) OK it's a 70's quartz, but properly listed with decent pics and that would not be sitting with no bids with two days to go.

It's mad how often that happens. I'd say near weekly, even with high end names, though collectors are better at spotting it.

PS if someone wants to fire a few quid at that above, PM me and I'll disappear the link. ;) It would be a punt mind you as the seller claims it may work, it may not so…

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,382 ✭✭✭firestarter51

Picked up this Tag Heuer Aquaracer
    Still not sure about it, I prefer bracelet and it's taking time to get used to a strap

379461.jpeg

• Registered Users Posts: 21,253 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

I think it looks good on that strap

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 624 ✭✭✭fulladapipes

Lovely looking watch.

Still not sure about it, I prefer bracelet and it's taking time to get used to a strap
    SNIP

• Closed Accounts Posts: 754 ✭✭✭mynameis905

How about a NATO? Never liked black straps on casual watches myself.

How about a NATO? Never liked black straps on casual watches myself.

Tried nato straps and I'm not a fan of them on newer watches I thing they look sxxt

379507.png

• Registered Users Posts: 35 jawacz

Hi, this watch found again recently, been lying around home for decades, number inside case: 798396. Case looks like it may be silver.

379635.jpg

379636.jpg

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,116 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Looks silver alright. I can just make out the hallmark, which might be London? The date bit I can't make out. Style wise it would be seen as a "Trench watch" circa the First World War, though the style stayed in fashion particularly in the UK well into the 1930's. 15 jewel Swiss pin set lever movement so decent quality. Not sure of the maker. Black and white type dials are the less common ones, less common again are ones without a seconds hand. The hour hand is a later replacement, the minute hand looks original(funny enough, it's usually the minute hand that goes missing). The winding crown is also a later replacement. Ebay could probably dig up the correct parts.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Advertisement

Tag Heuer Kirium chronometer arrived Friday, after an ultrasonic and polish it looks ok

379643.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 8,851 ✭✭✭893bet

Qco's, Eco's, DV builds, process validations zzzzzzzx

Stare at my AT way more fun!!

image.jpg

2ah7jiv.jpg

Near century old US made Hampden.

Decided to lume the hands and then had my first go at a dial. Looks better in the flesh. :o:) Did a better job with the spare dial I have for this. I am happy with the colour though. This luminous dial layout is a hard bugger to find, most of these I've seen(and they're scarce enough) have non lume "fancy" dials and very thin hands. This originally came with those thin hands, but after years of looking a handset came up so I grabbed it and then two weeks ago a dial and handset came up from the same Bay search I'd forgotten to delete. Had to have it, of course. 15 quid so…

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,938 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

My WilliamL Kickstarter watch was lost in the post, I've a choice between selecting another 1 or waiting until June for the Rose to come back into stock, 1st World Problems

Clareman wrote: »
    lost in the post
    Ahh crap C. :( When it comes to watches that phrase is up there with "hmmm why has my left arm gone numb and I feel a weight on my chest". I live in fear of it.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,938 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

Wibbs wrote: »
    Ahh crap C. :( When it comes to watches that phrase is up there with "hmmm why has my left arm gone numb and I feel a weight on my chest". I live in fear of it.

The joys of buying from the internet, I've gone for 1 of the black watches instead of the Rose, I liked the rose but I don't have the patience to wait until June for it, I also live in hope the original order turns up

gone retro for a while, shame about the hands but its quite common on the 4000

380173.jpg

Took a gamble on a badly listed and photographed watch on ebay. And it was from italy (another gamble with the postage!)

This was the photo from the listing.
    s_l1600.jpg

Watch arrived during the week. Took the movement out of the case and gave the case and crystsal a good bit of spit and polish, a wee bit of care to the face and hands.... and low and behold, its a wee gem.

It has a Felsa cal 692 under the bonnet which was the first bidirectional automatic movement. A Bidynator. This is also one of the first automatic movements that Breitling ever used.

Watch dates from about 1952.

IMG_5334.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 4,403 ✭✭✭Deep Thought

cracker....

what are the secrets to finding this stuff..

The narrower a man’s mind, the broader his statements.

cracker....

what are the secrets to finding this stuff..

Patience!

For me I browse ebay every now and again. I search for 'vintage watch'....filter to show eu only results and change view to show 'ending soonest'.

Then I just look for well known brands that people have not been bidding on.

Usually the reason is...
    1) Reserve is too high
    2) Watch is broken
    3) Watch is in terrible condition
    4) Bad pictures or description....or even brand name spelt wrong.
    5) seller has too high postage or other restrictions (buyer feedback etc).

If you find a 4) then that is where you find the gems. But they are rare IMO. Wibbs could probably add a few chapters to this...but this works for me...and it is a gamble.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,979 ✭✭✭Brief_Lives

I am a real fan of Dive watches. So I bought this 2 weeks ago, and it arrived today. Just in time for St Patricks day...

380407.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 4,403 ✭✭✭Deep Thought

any views out there on the Steinhart Ocean Vintage GMT?

Also considering the Stowa Fliegerchronograph Classic...

Thoughts?

The narrower a man’s mind, the broader his statements.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,276 ✭✭✭dinorebel

Just looking at the Steinhart Ocean Black and want it badly.

• Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭dancrowley

any views out there on the Steinhart Ocean Vintage GMT?

Also considering the Stowa Fliegerchronograph Classic...

Thoughts?

I have that Stowa. Beautiful. Purchased in 2012 and it gets compliments whenever I wear it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,521 ✭✭✭Fabritzo

I want a nice green faced watch like that :( Meranom never seem to have them available

• Registered Users Posts: 21,253 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

Only the bezel is green on the Steinhart. Deep Blue make a green version of their Sea Ram which is quite nice, but a bit chunkier.

This arrived this morning

380625.jpeg

• Registered Users Posts: 9,002 ✭✭✭mad m

Visiting brother in law in US....you probably have seen them on their own when he has been back home , so they are all in their beds at moment.

image_zpsgjmterqi.jpeg

• Registered Users Posts: 9,002 ✭✭✭mad m

Found this in brother in laws house, it's like playboy to him.:rolleyes:

image_zpsgkf9mamd.jpeg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,928 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

We already have a dark side on the forum so I went a shade lighter

Gator strap and platinum dial swung it for me

1468DFDA-B2F6-4C8D-845F-78CBC01F570A_zpsgfjuoxjz.jpg

33BE1691-AD9D-444D-98A5-8DC4AA42F2F3_zpscoqd1fi2.jpg

373E5FBB-B23E-4FB3-8EDB-746190BEB80A_zpsuwpzj18y.jpg

This discussion has been closed.