Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

11-12-2015, 03:17   #631
Tommy Dillon
Banned

She should have been asked to leave the restaurant to be fair. Its no place to feed a baby, its off putting. I understand that its the most natural thing in the world etc etc but so is going to the toilet... your not allowed do that in the middle of a restaurant either.
Advertisement
11-12-2015, 03:23   #632

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommy Dillon View Post
Its no place to feed a baby..
Eh, surely it's the perfect place to feed a baby: a room full of fellow humans who are also eating / drinking.
(6) thanks from:
11-12-2015, 03:26   #633
topmanamillion

Quote:
Originally Posted by NachoBusiness View Post
Eh, surely it's the perfect place to feed a baby: a room full of fellow humans who are also eating / drinking.
Yup and not sucking on a tit.
11-12-2015, 03:33   #634

Quote:
Originally Posted by topmanamillion View Post
Yup and not sucking on a tit.
Perhaps not, but most likely they'll be drinking fluid from tits. Just not human tits.

Isn't that strange, that people can sit in restaurants and cafes drinking glasses of another species tit milk and we see it as perfectly normal but yet a human baby drinks human milk from it's mother and it's 'off putting'.
(5) thanks from:
11-12-2015, 03:49   #635
Tommy Dillon
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by NachoBusiness View Post
Perhaps not, but most likely they'll be drinking fluid from tits. Just not human tits.

Isn't that strange, that people can sit in restaurants and cafes drinking glasses of another species tit milk and we see it as perfectly normal but yet a human baby drinks human milk from it's mother and it's 'off putting'.
Yea but that milk is presented in a civilised manner. We don't have to suck it in a restaurant in front of other people. We aren't living in the stone age anymore. There are ways and means around everything. There is no excuse for that selfish woman to ruin other peoples dinners like that. As I said it's the most natural thing in the world but not in a restaurant with other people watching.
Advertisement
11-12-2015, 04:11   #636
One eyed Jack

Quote:
Yea but that milk is presented in a civilised manner. We don't have to suck it in a restaurant in front of other people. We aren't living in the stone age anymore. There are ways and means around everything. There is no excuse for that selfish woman to ruin other peoples dinners like that. As I said it's the most natural thing in the world but not in a restaurant with other people watching.

Let those other people watch I say. That's how people educate themselves. People are always going to look, or stare, or even look in disgust. Those women who are more interested in feeding their child won't be interested in drawing attention to themselves, and will be able to ignore stares from a few people, because their priority will be feeding their child.

That's how you normalise something in society - by behaving normally. If people really mean what they say about breastfeeding being normal, then they shouldn't feel a need to get into silly stare-down matches with other people because of their reactions. That's what's contradictory IMO - wants to encourage breastfeeding and inform and educate people, but when presented with the perfect opportunity to do so, gets into a staring match instead
11-12-2015, 04:57   #637
ceadaoin.

Quote:
No difference between a baby born in the stone age and a baby born today. They get hungry and need feeding. Guarantee you would be complaining about a hungry baby crying if it wasn't fed. Unless you think babies should be kept at home, along with the mothers until at least the age of weaning then you'll just have to avert your eyes. Did you look at the picture? Any people visible in the shot don't seem like they are having their dinners ruined.
(3) thanks from:
11-12-2015, 07:03   #638
Novella

I think she looks absolutely ridiculous, desperately vying for attention. Another person didn't like seeing her breastfeeding? So what? People don't like all kinds of things about other people all the time - their hair colour, their weight, the way they chew their food, the shoes they're wearing, whatever. If we all went about our lives pretty much going out of our way to challenge people to confront us, we'd never get anything done.

And I am currently a breastfeeding mother, I just don't care if some complete stranger disapproves of my life choice.

Posting it all over social media? Give me a break. Just feed the baby, you don't need a pat on the back and a medal for it.
11-12-2015, 07:44   #639
namloc1980

Quote:
Breastfeeding isn't civilised now - it's "stone age". Some of the attitudes on here are very sad.
(4) thanks from:
Advertisement
11-12-2015, 08:33   #640
One eyed Jack

Quote:
Originally Posted by namloc1980 View Post
Breastfeeding isn't civilised now - it's "stone age". Some of the attitudes on here are very sad.

That's the argument being made by a lot of people, including the woman in the opening post, that formula feeding is "just a trend", and breastfeeding is the "primary purpose" people evolved with breasts. That reductionist attitude, to me at least, is just as sad as it is unrealistic. If someone can't make a better argument than an appeal to evolution, while at the same time they're choosing to wear clothes, I'd suggest their argument just doesn't stand up to any scrutiny.
11-12-2015, 08:35   #641
Ave Sodalis

Quote:
Originally Posted by One eyed Jack
That's the argument being made by a lot of people, including the woman in the opening post, that formula feeding is "just a trend", and breastfeeding is the "primary purpose" people evolved with breasts. That reductionist attitude, to me at least, is just as sad as it is unrealistic. If someone can't make a better argument than an appeal to evolution, while at the same time they're choosing to wear clothes, I'd suggest their argument just doesn't stand up to any scrutiny.

Can you point out who all said that formula feeding is just a trend?
11-12-2015, 08:47   #642

/Original and intelligent comment about sh-tting in public being natural too as if that has anything to do with feeding a hungry, crying baby
(2) thanks from:
11-12-2015, 08:48   #643
nozzferrahhtoo

Quote:
Originally Posted by One eyed Jack View Post
I don't think it's necessary for women to breastfeed in public
Except for a lot of women, it is.

Quote:
I understand that its the most natural thing in the world etc etc but so is going to the toilet... your not allowed do that in the middle of a restaurant either.
Hardly a useful comparison given the restaurant is a place for eating, and the toilet is a place for.... well the toilet. So your analogy is as desperate as it is fetid.

The restaurant is a place for eating. The baby is eating. Deal with it.
11-12-2015, 09:02   #644
AdolfHeidler
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by nozzferrahhtoo View Post
Except for a lot of women, it is.

Hardly a useful comparison given the restaurant is a place for eating, and the toilet is a place for.... well the toilet. So your analogy is as desperate as it is fetid.

The restaurant is a place for eating. The baby is eating. Deal with it.
A Michelin starred restaurant is not place to feed your baby? People pay for premium for a particular experience there, to bring a baby and breastfeed there is highly selfish and ignorant.
11-12-2015, 09:07   #645
Kev W

Quote:
Originally Posted by One eyed Jack View Post
I'm sure you can provide a convincing argument against the idea that breastfeeding is the "primary purpose" people evolved with breasts.

Whenever you're ready.

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion