Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on [email protected] for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact [email protected]

SPRING WEATHER 2014

• 04-03-2014 1:01pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭patneve2

Maybe its looking good for some early warmth, don't want to jinx it though.

ECM 190 hr

Recm1921.gif

GFS 190 hr

Rtavn1921.gif

GEM 190 hr

Rgem1921.gif

Was only a few years ago when we got a great few days of weather in March.

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,668 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

I remember getting 21C for nearly a week a few year's ago in mid-March, while it was great it turned out to be better than the weather we had May-August of that same year! But after the winter we've just had im looking forward to what could be a very mild and more settled March, any cold weather can now fek off till next November.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

Gonzo wrote: »
    I remember getting 21C for nearly a week a few year's ago in mid-March, while it was great it turned out to be better than the weather we had May-August of that same year! But after the winter we've just had im looking forward to what could be a very mild and more settled March, any cold weather can now fek off till next November.

That was the end of March 2012, days 24th to 29th were all above 16c.

http://www.laoisweather.com/wxnoaaclimatereports.php?yr=2012&mo=03

Also, March 2010 IIRC had a big snowfall with some big drifts in Northern Leinster and Southern Ulster.

March of many weathers!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,142 ✭✭✭shamwari

I remember St Patricks day in March 1999 was a scorcher with temps around 20C. :cool:

Three weeks later, we had a few cm of snow! :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,013 ✭✭✭Elmer Blooker

I have often seen charts like this end up as quite a potent northerly as an intense anticyclone drifts west and eventually leads to a Greenland high - not saying it will happen but wouldn't surprise me.

gfs-0-150.png?6

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭patneve2

I have often seen charts like this end up as quite a potent northerly as an intense anticyclone drifts west and eventually leads to a Greenland high - not saying it will happen but wouldn't surprise me.

gfs-0-150.png?6

I wouldn't be surprised. After months, the westerly pattern is finally going to change and the projected high pressure is part of this change. I can see it being quite pleasant with below average rainfall until mid month, followed by a Northerly or NWesterly towards the second half of the month.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,477 ✭✭✭Billcarson

I would not be surprised myself if we get one of those classic spring switches,very springlike one week, arctic blast from the north the next.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,149 ✭✭✭✭fits

Do any of the weather experts want to speculate on Finnish weather over next few weeks... particularly east Finland at the 'hip' on the map. Its been a rubbish winter so far. North America has stolen our cold air. Theres little snow on the ground now in March which never happens and skiing (Nordic) is a dead loss. its been groundhog day since October... low cloud, around zero degrees, snows a bit, melts a bit. Except for two week cold spell in January, that's been it. I've had a look at the models and it looks like cold air mass moving our way next week but its borderline... will I get to ski at all this year?

Next weeks temps in ireland look like being around the 9c-11c mark by day and below 0c at night in places.

At around mid month there are some signs of it possibly turning less settled and colder after the few days of high pressure.

[IMG][/img]http://cdn.nwstatic.co.uk/gfsimages/gfs.20140306/12/264/h500slp.png

[IMG][/img]http://cdn.nwstatic.co.uk/ecmimages/20140306/12/ecm500.240.png

Still on track for a lovely few days of weather next week :) 16C+ in some spots

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

Tuesday-Thursday look good. Obviously chilly by night but very pleasant during the day and will be a nice change :D

Billcarson wrote: »
    Next weeks temps in ireland look like being around the 9c-11c mark by day and below 0c at night in places.

Well looks like now that temps for next week will be warmer then what was shown yesterday,perhaps into the mid teens by wednesday.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,138 ✭✭✭snaps

fits wrote: »
    Do any of the weather experts want to speculate on Finnish weather over next few weeks... particularly east Finland at the 'hip' on the map. Its been a rubbish winter so far. North America has stolen our cold air. Theres little snow on the ground now in March which never happens and skiing (Nordic) is a dead loss. its been groundhog day since October... low cloud, around zero degrees, snows a bit, melts a bit. Except for two week cold spell in January, that's been it. I've had a look at the models and it looks like cold air mass moving our way next week but its borderline... will I get to ski at all this year?

Exactly the same here in poland. We've had 2 spells of cold and snow, but its been dry and sunny for the rest of the time. I've had the skis out 4 times this winter!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Harps

Beautiful weather here in south east England this week, sunny every day and most importantly not a drop off rain all week. Made it to 17C today and potentially even higher over the weekend, Spring in full flow :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,453 ✭✭✭kingshankly

shamwari wrote: »
    I remember St Patricks day in March 1999 was a scorcher with temps around 20C. :cool:

Three weeks later, we had a few cm of snow! :eek:

Got sunburn at a parade that day it was a beauty

The settled slot of weather seems to be certain now, even though there might be a few fog issues on the E coast, particularly at night and in the morning. After that, GFS seems to have gone back to the idea of a strong Northerly with snow showers, but that's still too far out.

Blimey I saw the uk weather forecast...18c in London.
    Weather very settled in Europe. Glorious here too in poland. Sitting outside in a t shirt.
    Looks like an easterly may develop next week, so doubt it will be quite as warm as now.

Yep feels like summer this weekend in London, quite a shock to the system. Winter jacket to shorts and t shirt in the space of a week!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,461 ✭✭✭Musicman2000

And back to coats and gloves in another week or so, enjoy it while its here.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,668 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

parts of London and surrounding areas could see 20C today, remarkable temperatures for first week of March with temperatures similar to southern spain and north africa, much cooler here in Ireland today with 6-9C over majority of the country but up to 13C along the east coast. Looks like we will finally see an settled, sunny and very mild week ahead, really looking forward to it.

• Advertisement

Made it to 21C here according to the wunderground app on my phone. Stark contrast to this time last year when temperatures were struggling to get to 3 or 4C for the whole of March

• Registered Users Posts: 1,479 ✭✭✭Hooter23

According to this news article Met Eireann said it will be dry & settled for "the coming weeks". :cool:

http://uk.news.yahoo.com/put-away-winter-coat-getting-dry-settled-weather-184548052.html

Dosnt sound like sumtn met eireann would say and being ireland its highly unlikely!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

I'd kill for 20C :)

Still, I'll take a week of sunny dry weather at almost any temperature.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 194 ✭✭D.Campbell

I heard its to rain for the weekend is that true

• Registered Users Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭compsys

D.Campbell wrote: »
    I heard its to rain for the weekend is that true

At the moment it looks like there could be a few well scattered light showers around on Friday, Saturday and Sunday, though nothing major. Many areas, particularly in the East, could well stay dry all week. It will get a bit cloudier from late Thursday onwards.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,017 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

A cool night at Dublin Airport with -1 on the 0000 reports.

fantastic blue skies today, looks like the best weather we have had since last August.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 688 ✭✭✭Aerohead

Stunning day here in Galway blue skies and temp of 14 degrees

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,567 ✭✭✭Red Pepper

The long dark is coming to an end. I don't really care about the weather so much, I more look forward to the light. The early mornings and late evenings are great and I will find something to do in all weathers e.g. I love fishing in the rain because they tend to bite and I have good raingear.

• Advertisement

After Avery sunny and warm week, today here in poland its gone from 13c down to 3c and currently experiencing thunder snow. Some terrific thunderstorms here the last few hours.

Advertisement