Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

SPRING WEATHER 2014

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭compsys

Easterlies and Greenland high showing up on the lastest GFS charts, a bit far out but you never know, could be a repeat of last year in late March/April.:p

At this time of year the continent is beginning to warm up. A blocking high and an easterly in April would be OK. The ECM is hinting at quite pleasant temps for early April, though the GFS is showing something far colder.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,511 ✭✭✭Billcarson

Some interesting charts later on in the latest ecm run. Hp over scandinavia moving west towards greenland. Of course things might not work out like that but it would be bloody typical if it did considering this is the type of stuff we would have liked to have seen during the winter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭patneve2

Billcarson wrote: »
    Some interesting charts later on in the latest ecm run. Hp over scandinavia moving west towards greenland. Of course things might not work out like that but it would be bloody typical if it did considering this is the type of stuff we would have liked to have seen during the winter.

Irritating to see Northern Blocking on both GFS and ECM at the end of March. Yes, its a case of saying: "if only it was January".

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

The PV inevitably has to get broken up at this stage in the Season so it is no suprise to see some more amplification in the flow. Usually this occurs in February though and not late March/April!

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

So cold.. South Kerry and the Northerly air coming in here in the mountains is bitter.
    Yesterday was brutal. Wind and deluges.
    Longing for some warmth

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 921 ✭✭✭MiNdGaM3

Sunny and mild here in Cahir so far today, top temperature of 13.2C. Quite a nice day!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

I know its early doors for this but is anyone just getting a vibe from the charts that late spring and summer could be pretty decent? There seems to be a propensity for high pressure to build, nothing dropping anchor but generally +1015/1020 hpa to the east/south.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,117 ✭✭✭pad199207

Sleet here in Naas. Doing its best for wet snow

• Registered Users Posts: 9,274 ✭✭✭Macy0161

Had a dusting of slushy stuff on the cars and grass when I left around 7, near Roundwood. I'd say it must have been hail/ sleet/ snow mix overnight, as it woke me bashing off the window at half 3! Since I left though, they've had some good snow showers, but it isn't really sticking at our level (going white when it's snowing, but melting as soon as it stops), and the missus says it's mainly the tops that have snow. Wicklow Weather had photo's of the snowline around 150m near Roundwood at 8am on facebook though.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,286 ✭✭✭arctictree

Wet snow this morning in Roundwood. Pelting it down around 7am. Must be an inch or two higher up....

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 194 ✭✭D.Campbell

Blue sky here in Cork city and sunshine its a fab morning thank god

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭Kippure

Ninja snow across the Dublin Wicklow Rockies this morning.

I,d say the highest parts have a few inchs. Looks deep bright white.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,745 ✭✭✭whitebriar

Kippure wrote: »
    Ninja snow across the Dublin Wicklow Rockies this morning.

I,d say the highest parts have a few inchs. Looks deep bright white.
    Snowline inland in south Wicklow is just 700ft and a bit lower.
    Was Wet snow here on low ground early this morning!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,140 ✭✭✭highdef

Was some very heavy dinner plate sized snow from about 07:15 to just before 08:00. This then turned to a sleety mix before turning to rain. Briefly stuck to car and building rooves but all gone within a short while as the rain melted it.

This was at just under 100m. The hill to my east @ just under 150m had a tiny few patches left at approx 09:30

Hard frost again and bitter early on but the sun is out now and glorious
    when you keep out of the wind.

The met site says it is only 4 degrees here though. Ouch!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,716 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

the past 4 days have been bitter here, heating on full blast everyday, felt like the coldest week we've had since March/April 2013.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Looks like we are getting the rubbishy end of the warmer weather as well!

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭Blizzard 2010

There were dozens of Ladybirds in my front and back garden today, I have never seen so many this early, maybe a good omen for the remainder of spring/summer:D

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,716 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

Really nice day today but still on the cool side but certainly milder than it was last week. Temperatures haven't moved beyond 11 or 12c here for past few days, dissapointing considering the temperatures close by.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,047 ✭✭✭Clonmel1000

Lads and lassies this spring has been disappointing really for those of us seeking good weather. Its been wet and cold for the majority of it we have had at best maybe 4/5 decentish days around mid month. The weekends have been awful raining most if not all Saturdays bar one that I can think of.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,100 ✭✭✭Autonomous Cowherd

Stunning day today in the north west....blazing sunshine, warm, even saw a bumble bee....been outside gardening IN A TEE-SHIRT!! (and tracksuit pants!) since mid-day.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 409 ✭✭dublincelt

Stunning day today in the north west....blazing sunshine, warm, even saw a bumble bee....been outside gardening IN A TEE-SHIRT!! (and tracksuit pants!) since mid-day.:D

Agreed! Up in Sligo on business today and it has been positively warm! Beautiful day here, very misty, damp and cold between Athlone and Boyle, but cleared up by Colooney. Hopefully we have a summer even half as good as last year.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,066 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

Judging by radar, theres some heavy rain in the Wicklow area at the moment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,745 ✭✭✭whitebriar

Judging by radar, theres some heavy rain in the Wicklow area at the moment.
    :(

sweet wild wind with life and no malice in it....wonderful not to need to light the fire or wrap up, to wander outside neath the tall mountains and dramatic skies.. my plants are bright and pea and bean seedlingstrong and tall. scuse typing; fell while making a cat barrier and broke my dratted wrist..

• Registered Users Posts: 6,038 ✭✭✭Elmer Blooker

Graces7 wrote: »
    sweet wild wind with life and no malice in it....wonderful not to need to light the fire or wrap up, to wander outside neath the tall mountains and dramatic skies.. my plants are bright and pea and bean seedlingstrong and tall. scuse typing; fell while making a cat barrier and broke my dratted wrist..
    what a difference a year makes, some air temperatures on April 6th '13:
    Dublin A. -5.6c, Mullingar -6.5c, Mount Dillon -7.3c.
    Gardeners beware, the weeds are growing like mad as the soil is quite warm after the frost free winter

• Registered Users Posts: 6,140 ✭✭✭highdef

have noticed that Elmer!!! Was out in the garden this evening and one particular weed is popping up in a number of places. it pops up every year but I have no idea what it is. It has dark green leaves and is a bit shiny....whatever it is, I don't like it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 874 ✭✭✭Gosub

On the subject of frost. Is it likely to be gone for this winter or is there still a chance of an Arctic blast?

I have a large area of garden to be seeded with grass and I don't want to lose it all to a frost.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,335 ✭✭✭OneEightSeven

what a difference a year makes, some air temperatures on April 6th '13:
    Dublin A. -5.6c, Mullingar -6.5c, Mount Dillon -7.3c.
    Gardeners beware, the weeds are growing like mad as the soil is quite warm after the frost free winter

A year can make all the difference: http://classic.wunderground.com/history/airport/EIDW/2010/12/25/DailyHistory.html?req_city=NA&req_state=NA&req_statename=NA

• Advertisement

Gosub wrote: »
    On the subject of frost. Is it likely to be gone for this winter or is there still a chance of an Arctic blast?

I have a large area of garden to be seeded with grass and I don't want to lose it all to a frost.

keep an eye on met eirreann.. i have dozens of seed trays out but can over them with old sheets if need be, maybe wait a weekor so yet to seed the grass

Advertisement