Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

This type of Installer will destroy the Aerial business

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

A piece of wire or a knitting needle works well close to the transmitter too :D

Depends on "Close" :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,336 ✭✭✭✭Tony

watty wrote: »
    A piece of wire or a knitting needle works well close to the transmitter too :D

Depends on "Close" :)

Knitting needles don't look good on lashing kits

Desktop PC Boards discount code on https://www.satellite.ie/ is boards.ie

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 3,584 Mod ✭✭✭✭St Senan

Spotted this on Saturday. A Sky dish bracket bolted to the top of a chimney and a Group A or B bolted to the bracket on a 2 storey house in Gorey.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,905 ✭✭✭steveon

scaller wrote: »
    Spotted this on Saturday. A Sky dish bracket bolted to the top of a chimney and a Group A or B bolted to the bracket on a 2 storey house in Gorey.

You'd wonder why couldn't he just drill it onto the side of the chimney...Digiweb installers were notorious for drilling brackets onto top of chimneys ....shocking...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭excollier

Classy!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

The guy who did that should get a part in the new ad for a certain bread company, "It's a matter of pride".:rolleyes:

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,126 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

zerks wrote: »
    The guy who did that should get a part in the new ad for a certain bread company, "It's a matter of pride".:rolleyes:
    Because he didn't use his loaf?

/me gets coat.

• Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭poolboy

So have a guy coming Thursday to install an aerial what should I be looking for/ insisting on

poolboy wrote: »
    So have a guy coming Thursday to install an aerial what should I be looking for/ insisting on

Pl insurance.
    Photo Id.
    Roofing ladders safety gear/harness.
    Saorview approved STB ( If he is supplying you with a STB).
    If its a chimney install then insist he uses a lashing kit and cradle to mount the pole on.
    Receipt with his contact details/Address on it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,875 ✭✭✭zg3409

Also on the receipt get him to itemise all items included and his value on them.

Also get in writing any guarantee for how long and if it covers a re-visit.

Make sure to get him to explain what the system does, and what it does not do. For long life I would also recommend a solid dish over any perforated dish.

Make sure you agree before he starts where he will drill holes etc. Remember you are the customer. If you want white coax, no use of the chimney, cables ran via attic etc then insist on it.

Make sure you get a couple of rough quotes to make sure you're not being charged a fortune.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,454 ✭✭✭cast_iron

Pl insurance.
    Photo Id.
    Roofing ladders safety gear/harness.
    Saorview approved STB ( If he is supplying you with a STB).
    If its a chimney install then insist he uses a lashing kit and cradle to mount the pole on.
    Receipt with his contact details/Address on it
    Looking for and insisting on are two completely different things, and it's not fair to lump them all as one list, as if they are all definite requirements.

Insist on:
    • Public Liability insurance
    • Lashing on chimney (if required). ie.no drilling. Drilling ok on a gable.
    • Roofing ladders (if required).
    • Receipt with contact details.
    • Details of guarantee.

Preferable:
    • Photo ID - if it's the man from a bricks and mortar shop you ordered the setup from, it's pretty daft insisting on it.
    • Membership of one of the 3 recognised installer groups by Saorview. The ISAA is the only dedicated installer body and has the most strict membership criteria.
    • Saorview approved box. Non approved will be cheaper, but won't have the same functionality. No excuse for non-approved these days.
    • Itemised bill. Though if you agreed a price before hand and were happy with it, then that agreement would still stand.
    • ct100 standard cable - the cheaper rg69 is rubbish, but will probably do.
    • Location of aerial agreed beforehand - discreet over convenience, where possible.
    • Cable runs agreed on if on view. ie. down the wall of the house (internal or external).
    • Standard chimney ware is a single or double lashing kit with a 1.5 or 2 inch pole.
    • Standard fare for gables would be TK brackets with a 1.5 or 2 inch pole.
    Avoid local ads and donedeal type ads offering what seems like great value. It is actually to good to be true.
    Preferably use a recognised installer, who has a good name and comes recommended. Bricks and mortar shops offer a little more comeback than other types.

• Registered Users Posts: 371 ✭✭larchill

If you go across the water, or even up north lower level aerial installs are much more common. Not so many 10/15 ft 1.5/2" masts on chimneys to be seen. Its a kind of aerial setup we're going to see a lot more of now with digital tv.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,757 ✭✭✭lawhec

larchill wrote: »
    If you go across the water, or even up north lower level aerial installs are much more common. Not so many 10/15 ft 1.5/2" masts on chimneys to be seen. Its a kind of aerial setup we're going to see a lot more of now with digital tv.
    Depends where you are up north - in areas where three aerials are required for all analogue terrestrial services (RTÉ VHF, TV3/TG4 UHF & BBC/UTV/C4/C5 UHF) the wind load and aerial spacing required require the use of longer & thicker poles otherwise they'd break on the first 40mph gust. The majority of support poles are at least 10 feet & 1.5 inches thick, with many being 2 inches.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,248 ✭✭✭Rowley Birkin QC

Just wondering if any of the professionals here could recommend an indoor aerial for a ground floor apt. in Dublin 3?

I have a Saorview approved TV, have tested it at home in North Cork with the feed from the old aerial on the roof and it works perfectly well, but can't get any sort of signal when I connected it to an indoor aerial that DID Electrical sold me.

The apt. is on the ground floor and I won't be able to install any aerials on the roof obviously. Any recommendations would be welcome, thanks.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,285 ✭✭✭Peter Rhea

Your query isn't relevant to this thread, but the reason you get no signal is because there is no signal present at the aerial location.

Try moving it around, near a window would be a good place to start. If you're on a ground floor, you'll probably have to depend on signal reflections unless you have a clear view of the transmitter.

Highly unlikely that a different model aerial would make any difference.

byte

Just wondering if any of the professionals here could recommend an indoor aerial for a ground floor apt. in Dublin 3?

I have a Saorview approved TV, have tested it at home in North Cork with the feed from the old aerial on the roof and it works perfectly well, but can't get any sort of signal when I connected it to an indoor aerial that DID Electrical sold me.

The apt. is on the ground floor and I won't be able to install any aerials on the roof obviously. Any recommendations would be welcome, thanks.
    What sort of aerial did you buy? Quite a few indoor aerials available are really only any good in very strong signal areas.

I'd amend that to ALL indoor aerials are only good in strong signal areas. A 18 Element yagi on top of the wardrobe isn't really an Indoor aerial in the spirit of it :)

byte wrote: »
    What sort of aerial did you buy? Quite a few indoor aerials available are really only any good in very strong signal areas.
    watty wrote: »
    I'd amend that to ALL indoor aerials are only good in strong signal areas. A 18 Element yagi on top of the wardrobe isn't really an Indoor aerial in the spirit of it :)

Thanks for replying and apologies for derailing the thread somewhat, just figured this was likely to be the place where the professionals were.

The aerial I bought and returned is shown here.

blackaerial.png

Thanks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,476 ✭✭✭ardmacha

What is the role of the "HD" on the side of that box. Is it a very good quality picture of the aerial or something?

ardmacha wrote: »
    What is the role of the "HD" on the side of that box. Is it a very good quality picture of the aerial or something?

I asked the sales dude about that and he fluffed it, was actually pretty funny at the time. :D

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Ground floor Dublin 3 sounds like it won't work. Try a rooftop aerial or UPC.

Sponge Bob wrote: »

Arse. Thanks anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,351 ✭✭✭Ronnie Raygun

Sponge Bob wrote: »

Rowley, this is a stupid generalisation, although your own experience with an indoor aerial isn't exactly encouraging with regard to your own particular location.

But we're talking about an entire district of a city less than 10 miles from a high powered transmitter & I would think plenty of locations at ground level would have a strong enough signal for reliable viewing, given the usual caveats wrt indoor aerials.

Rowley, this is a stupid generalisation, although your own experience with an indoor aerial isn't exactly encouraging with regard to your own particular location.

But we're talking about an entire district of a city less than 10 miles from a high powered transmitter & I would think plenty of locations at ground level would have a strong enough signal for reliable viewing, given the usual caveats wrt indoor aerials.

I thought so too. I'm not in any sort of mad rush with it but I would really like to have Network 2 HD for the Euros.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,188 ✭✭✭wil

Excellent signal at ground level in D6, even on one of those tiny pc aerials, so give it a try first. Previously I couldnt get a watchable analog signal on a proper aerial.

Meanwhile back on thread - not sure if these lot are good in valleys or proclaiming their dubious morals.
    "Lowest Soarview Supplier in Ireland ";)

byte

If you're going to try any indoor aerial, I suggest one like this...
    indoor.png

Pretty cheap and effective (as much as indoor aerials can be). Even better if you can find a retailer that'll take it back if it doesn't work out. Didn't see them on Peats or Argos though.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

D3 ( low down) is on the wrong side of a lot of high buildings, D6 ain't. If Rowley was in Rathfarnham I'd tell him use a coat hanger. :)

byte wrote: »
    If you're going to try any indoor aerial, I suggest one like this...
    indoor.png

Pretty cheap and effective (as much as indoor aerials can be). Even better if you can find a retailer that'll take it back if it doesn't work out. Didn't see them on Peats or Argos though.

Loads of them in "bargain stores" in Limerick at €8

If one of those doesn't work you need outdoor aerial in Attic or ideally outdoors. I have used large "chimney" Yagi and "Bowtie grid" in Attic, on a balcony and on top of a wardrobe.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,330 ✭✭✭Antenna

Thanks for replying and apologies for derailing the thread somewhat, just figured this was likely to be the place where the professionals were.

The aerial I bought and returned is shown here.

205378.png

Thanks.

That aerial positioned as in the picture - would be for vertical polarisation - yet you want to receive a horizontal polarised transmitter.

Did the instructions say anything about positioning for either vertical or horizontal polarisation?

If you still had it you could have tried putting it FLAT on top of a small plastic box (i.e. NOT a metal surface) and rotate it through 180 degrees to get best signal.

• Advertisement

Also it has zero real gain. It's a knitting needle with an amplifier. An amplifier increases noise and interference. Generally only used for longer cables to obviate loss (the long cable also attenuates the noise and interference too).

To have "proper gain" i.e. increase the ratio of signal to noise, an aerial needs to be larger to collect from a larger area (either more aerials= Bowtie/grid, longer=yagi/log-periodic or big lens effect= dish).

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 6,522 Mod ✭✭✭✭Irish Steve

Didn't read all the thread, too long, and after a while, too boring.

Regulation. Waste of time, and too little too late, and typically Irish, the regulators have no teeth worth talking about, and are a waste of government money, like Comreg, and a number of other "regulators" that are a waste of time and everything else.

Saorview is another Irish Fudge, too little too late, and as a result, doesn't meet the simple requirement of a straightforward simple to use system. For all it's shortcomings, Sky is easy to use, and only needs one remote for the basics. The Cable systems were also effective in that they merged Irish & UK on to one platform. Saorview doesn't do that, so it's messy.

Complaints about cowboys. Nothing new, it was the same with double glazing, CB radio, Intruder alarms, water softeners, and will be the same with solar panels, and any of the other "new" things that are happening, with very little real chance of solving it, partly because the real information about whatever technology it is will be "protected" by it's suppliers so that potential users can't actually find out too much about it. It's not just the "working" man that is not reliable. I've had more troubles with Accountants, Architects, Solicitors, Bankers, Builders and similar trades than I care to think about, and in most of the cases, the regulatory bodies of all of these trades will do damn all to protect victims of errors or malpractise, and even less to root out the bad practitioners. Another classic is the BER, would you trust an estate agent to know what they are talking about when it comes to things like correct levels of insulation, and the like, yet they were among the first to jump on that band waggon. Just wait till things like electric cars become more common. How many home charging points will be properly installed and set up, and how many will be bodges that are possibly dangerous or worse? Any takers on that one? I doubt it, because we all know what the likely answers will be.

How many Sky installers do a good job? Some, but based on my experiences over the time since 1990 when our first analog dish went in, and all the upgrades since, it's patchy, and despite being nearly at pension age, I now do my own work on dishes and the like, with the result that they work, and have done for a number of years, and don't do things like fail because the coax has split and let water right down into the receiver. A while back, I put a multiswitch in, and it was the best thing I could have done, and it meant I could at last get rid of a diabolical cable system that had never worked properly in the 20 years I've lived in Ashbourne. Things like cables across a roof ridge, and some of the other things highlighted here and in other places. Dishes mounted almost at head height on the front face of a property, using internal UHF quality co-ax, holes drilled in all sorts of inappropriate places inside and outside.

Time to move on. I've been looking all over, and there's still no easy way to get Saorview and the UK free channels easily in one box, and that's true on boxes and on the latest TV's, a friend has just bought a new Smart TV, and that can't merge the favourite channels of sat and terrestrial, despite being over €2000. It can do just about everything else, including 3D, but the basic simple concept of one place for all channels is just not there.

Like it or not, we're trapped by a pretty much failed capitalist system that's destroyed the value of way too many things in life, as was commented a while back, way too many people now now the cost of things, and the value of very little, and that's not been helped by the manner in which "competitive" pricing for just about everything we use had destroyed too much in the way of quality, pride in workmanship and so many other things that will one day be regretted by their passing.

Shore, if it was easy, everybody would be doin it.😁

• Registered Users Posts: 28 veyron

finally somebody talking sense ive stayed away from this thread because im sick to death of all the effort that a load of guys have made to try and point out the flaws with Saorview and so called rogue installers and how they have been banned and silenced but as you have mentioned quite clearly its not just Saorview its everything about this country,there seems to be a mind set of know it alls who know nothing at all we have come so far that i now think we are going backwards,nobody cares about quality, or service anymore its all about how cheap they can get it done ,
    Just look at the resolve the italians have shown after there earthquake all pulling together to get back going again some have nothing, god forbid if we had an earthquake certain irish people wouldnt know what to do, the spirit of the irish is gone its crazy.but back on point i wonder whats going to happen when the earthquake that is the DSO 24/10/12 happens when all the so called profesionals have turned off there dodgy phone numbers? When all the dodgy aerial work comes to light ? What happens to the elderly of our country who have had no help from our Goverment financially to change over and now find themselves in the posisiton of having been ripped off? ANd finally as you have made the point Irish Mick, whats going to happen when the Irish public realise that again we have been sold a load of crap that is the digital terrestial service that dosent compare to sky for simplicity and quality and effectiveness ill tell you nothing we will just roll along and accept it , oh if only some of the regulatory bodies had any authourity or clout in this country we might have had some hope for this project but oh how it has failed and it was doomed from the begining, but look at how our Goverment is going to benefit financially from the DSO but no one seems to care:cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 350 ✭✭Cesium Clock

the problem is with the simple to use one remote Sky TV is its overpriced,

if you have 4 tv,s you will pay a min of €23 per month plus €15 for each of the other tv,s, plus the mess of the telephone cables,

€68 x 12 = €816 per year for basic channels,

Official Freesat receiver and Saorview approved TV best solution for basic channels,

its 2 remotes, but we should be used to that, DVD players and VCR's have been with us for years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 450 ✭✭SalteeDog

I agree that increasingly people know the cost of everything and the value of little. Some expect that they should get the broadcasts of foreign countries for free, some even think that is a right and indeed that the state should provide it.

Instead, where it can be obtained for free or for a low initial cost then indeed that should be considered a bonus.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 745 ✭✭✭Extinction

I'm not seeing what the problem with a Saorview remote is? If you want saorview and only want one remote then get a saorview tv, the remote will do everything. If you want foreign channels you will obviously need another remote to go with the receiver and if the manufactures of free to air or freesat boxes don't make remotes available that can be programmed to a tv (like a sky remote) then the percieved problem is with these manufacturers and not Saorview.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,864 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

Extinction wrote: »
    I'm not seeing what the problem with a Saorview remote is? If you want saorview and only want one remote then get a saorview tv, the remote will do everything. If you want foreign channels you will obviously need another remote to go with the receiver and if the manufactures of free to air or freesat boxes don't make remotes available that can be programmed to a tv (like a sky remote) then the percieved problem is with these manufacturers and not Saorview.

The Humax remote can be programmed to comtrol a TV, a DVD, an audio system. So a Saorview TV with a Humax Foxsat HDR would be close to ideal. Unfortunately, it cannot record from Saorview.

veyron wrote: »
    finally somebody talking sense ive stayed away from this thread because im sick to death of all the effort that a load of guys have made to try and point out the flaws with Saorview and so called rogue installers and how they have been banned and silenced but as you have mentioned quite clearly its not just Saorview its everything about this country,there seems to be a mind set of know it alls who know nothing at all we have come so far that i now think we are going backwards,nobody cares about quality, or service anymore its all about how cheap they can get it done ,
    Just look at the resolve the italians have shown after there earthquake all pulling together to get back going again some have nothing, god forbid if we had an earthquake certain irish people wouldnt know what to do, the spirit of the irish is gone its crazy.but back on point i wonder whats going to happen when the earthquake that is the DSO 24/10/12 happens when all the so called profesionals have turned off there dodgy phone numbers? When all the dodgy aerial work comes to light ? What happens to the elderly of our country who have had no help from our Goverment financially to change over and now find themselves in the posisiton of having been ripped off? ANd finally as you have made the point Irish Mick, whats going to happen when the Irish public realise that again we have been sold a load of crap that is the digital terrestial service that dosent compare to sky for simplicity and quality and effectiveness ill tell you nothing we will just roll along and accept it , oh if only some of the regulatory bodies had any authourity or clout in this country we might have had some hope for this project but oh how it has failed and it was doomed from the begining, but look at how our Goverment is going to benefit financially from the DSO but no one seems to care:cool:

Saorview is not in competition with Sky nor is it supposed to emulate Sky,

It's simply a replacement for the existing free analogue service, and is of better quality, has more channels and better coverage than the existing analogue service,

There is a Installer/Shop advertising on Adverts.ie with the Saorview logo on display under a Ariva 120 and TV with Sky News on the TV.
    Also I was told from a friend last night that Jim Carey has swapped Hollywood to become a Saorview Installer over on Donedeal. I just found the add now.
    lol. (AERIAL ERECTOR engineer)

All I can say is the poor unsuspecting Public.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,757 ✭✭✭lawhec

First and foremost, Saorview is a digital replacement for the analogue terrestrial service in the RoI - nothing more, nothing less. It provides additional benefits to pretty much all viewers over analogue in terms of channel choice (not a huge amount compared to say Freeview in the UK, but brings TV3 to places that once didn't for example), high definition (already part-time on RTÉ Two, with the other three main channels in due course), improved standard definition pictures compared to most people's analogue reception, 8 day EPG and so on.

It is not a competitor to pay television. Was never intended to be. Only in countries with bigger populations like the UK, Germany, France etc. has DTT allowed significant free-to-air additional programming choice over the public airwaves. In smaller countries like Ireland, the same potential just isn't there especially with countries that have a much larger neighbour using a common language. A Saorview FTA DTT selection on a par with Freeview in the UK isn't practical - especially given the costs involved of a network that serves less than half the population the Crystal Palace transmission site does in London.

Having followed this thread and this board for many years, in my opinion the problem is not of installers highlighting the poor work of others, but rather the unrealistic sense of entitlement, low expectations of work carried out and the cute hoor mentality endemic and celebrated in Irish society. Many other parts of Europe would not put up with shoddy workmanship that fails quickly ("Ah sure, it'll be grand!") nor idolise cheaters, crooks and con men.

Also something that isn't done or doesn't satisfy someone is nearly always blamed on someone else. Why do people expect BBC television and radio to be freely broadcast across the Republic? More importantly, who is expected to pay for the clearance of rights and distribution of such services? Terrestrial, and more recently satellite reception overspill is taken for granted by many. As I've said before Freesat are highly unlikely to authorise approval for a combo satellite & terrestrial receiver that is deliberately being targeted for sale outside the UK; indeed other than integrated receivers in televisions there are no Freesat/Freeview approved combo STBs. Not to mention the expectation by many of RTÉ to be available FTA or even FTV on 28.2 East despite well known reasons as to why this is not feasible. Say to the same people that it could be done at the expense of a significant hike in the licence fee and all hell would break loose. As for EPGs, combining two separate EPGs into one is fraught with difficulty - for example what happens when two channel numbers overlap? Sky and UPC provide their available channels into one EPG at a cost to the viewer for the convenience for doing so. If you're looking to go down the FTA route, you might have to put up with the slight inconvenience of having to handle two separate EPGs, especially when one of those is from a service which isn't aimed at viewers in the state.

To me the likes of scaller and Tony have a genuine interest in ensuring that the industry they work in maintains good quality of standards and the long term satisfaction of their customers, and that the ISAA is a decent attempt to ensure that such registration gives people looking for such services an element of trust. It's up to people looking for aerial & associated equipment installations to be carried out to ensure that fly-by-night cowboys looking to make a quick buck with shoddy and occasionally damaging or dangerous installations are ran out of town if they cannot or are unwilling to do the work themselves. You'd be a bit concerned if a plumber or electrician came to your house without the tools required to carry out a proper job, the same should go for aerial installation.

Post of the Year in ICDG forums...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Reading Lawhec's outstanding post,he sums up the whole thread.With regard to saorview not being a competitor to Pay TV,try telling that to the guys touting it as such,I've seen countless posters & flyers saying "ditch Sky/UPC for free tv with saorview", grand if you are told what channels you'll lose or end up with but these 'installers' don't tell people that.I've heard it from the horses mouth as people were promised "heaps of free channels" but ended up disappointed when they realised they weren't getting Sky sports etc.The amount of times I've had to explain that saorview is just 6 tv channels & that Sky won't be on it is staggering.
    Of course these guys don't care,they have the cash pocketed & will move on to the next person who thinks they are getting a bargain.

• Registered Users Posts: 559 ✭✭✭Mearings

Zerks, what's in it for these guys these guys who encourage people to
    "ditch Sky/UPC for free tv with saorview"?

Mearings wrote: »

Fast Cash €€€ and they are gone. It happened before in 2008 when Wales switched from Analogue TV to Digital lots of people in counties on the south east/east coast of Ireland lost UK channels. Then every shop noticeboard, news paper and letter box was full of adds and flyers promising people premium channels we also had guys popping up from no where installing cheap generic Free To Air systems with out telling these people that these Free to air boxes need re tuning when channels change frequencies. Now these so called Installers/ Engineers were undercutting local established Aerial and Dish Installers by up to €80 just to get the Job. And when all the hype died down around a year and a half later these Installers/Engineers moved on to somewhere else and left lots of Disgruntled people stuck with a Pig in a Poke that has lost most of its channels.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,138 ✭✭✭snaps

Mearings wrote: »

Fast Cash €€€ and they are gone. It happened before in 2008 when Wales switched from Analogue TV to Digital lots of people in counties on the south east/east coast of Ireland lost UK channels. Then every shop noticeboard, news paper and letter box was full of adds and flyers promising people premium channels we also had guys popping up from no where installing cheap generic Free To Air systems with out telling these people that these Free to air boxes need re tuning when channels change frequencies. Now these so called Installers/ Engineers were undercutting local established Aerial and Dish Installers by up to €80 just to get the Job. And when all the hype died down around a year and a half later these Installers/Engineers moved on to somewhere else and left lots of Disgruntled people stuck with a Pig in a Poke that has lost most of its channels.
    you've hit the nail on the head. I stopped doing installs full time because it wasn't worth it anymore due to people undercutting. Couldn't justify, running a van, insurance etc etc. I'm back doing a few installs here and there, in my spare time with a sky installer. Problem that we have is that people will pay for a cheap job (less than we quote) but expect us to pick up the pieces when channels go etc. They have a shock when we inform them a call out is 80€ for non customers, they then realise the extra 50€ we quoted for the job with a years warranty and support was a great deal. Education of the public in this switchover is also needed, a lot of the public think the switching off of the deflectors is the change over and are taking it for granted that come October the Irish channels will be gone. So the 2nd problem is when you quote someone for a combo install (mainly at the moment because everyone around here has lost their UK channels) you inform them about the Irish channels going in October and a combo box wil be more of a future proof option, the reply that Joe blogs will install a dish and a box for 150€ that will be fine. Turns out Joe blogs is only fitting an mpeg 2 fta system, so come October another box will be required.

Here we go again ' dodgy box syndrome ' SKY, UPC, must be laughing,

FTA, Freesat, Saorview, looked upon as something that is not quite right,

I know this is a terrestrial thread, but I think it has become a general bad installation photo thread. I saw this in Frosses, Co Donegal on the road to Glenties.

211264.JPG

211265.JPG

211263.JPG

To be fair the site has a lot of tall trees. This is the only location (on the front facing the road) that a signal would be possible. However no excuse for using a tree. On closer inspection it seems as if there is an older bracket below the current bracket. From the rust on the dish this site has been in use for may years, or should that be tree rings?!

I have two more sets of photos from other sites but you'll have to wait a little longer for them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,070 ✭✭✭✭dodzy

It is possible that the above ( along with other installs referenced in this thread ) were carried out by the "DIY" home-owner of the properties concerned, and not by shoddy installers.

byte

That dish location must be in use about a decade now, I've always seen it when travelling that road.

The dish itself seems younger, it's just those EL dishes were junk and rusted quite quickly (especially that LNB arm).

Looking at the last pic, I'd be near certain that none of the local known installers would've done a job like that with the cable loose and seemingly unprotected cheap F connector. I notice the "wall bracket" is a galv one as opposed to the original.

211394.JPG

211395.JPG

This one from a mobile home park in Bundoran. The dish and the TV aerial are both mounted on the ESB pole.

The whole park is a calamity of DIY installs. There is another dish mounted on a lighting pole, but in that case the pole is probably owned by the park itself.

Also common is poles only mounted at the bottom, in to concrete, with the dishes mounted high up over the roofs of the mobile homes. With no guy wires and no support except at the very bottom, the poles, with dishes on them were swaying so much in the wind that the signal must be failing. I also saw a zone 1 Sky dish, in Bundoran, -too small for reliable use.

Any yes, I do think these are all DIY

211736.JPG

Here is another non recommended setup. It looks as if a rusty dish has been replaced, with a rust resistant one, but someone skimped on replacing the bracket. Now the first thing to fail will be the bracket, why not replace both at the same time? and a bit of tape on the coax wouldn't do any harm neither. And it being a very seaside location, a performated dish was never going to last more than a few years anyway.

• Advertisement
Advertisement