Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

This type of Installer will destroy the Aerial business

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

A piece of wire or a knitting needle works well close to the transmitter too :D

Depends on "Close" :)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,325 ✭✭✭✭Tony

watty wrote: »
    A piece of wire or a knitting needle works well close to the transmitter too :D

Depends on "Close" :)

Knitting needles don't look good on lashing kits

Desktop PC Boards discount code on https://www.satellite.ie/ is boards.ie

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 3,584 Mod ✭✭✭✭St Senan

Spotted this on Saturday. A Sky dish bracket bolted to the top of a chimney and a Group A or B bolted to the bracket on a 2 storey house in Gorey.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,905 ✭✭✭steveon

scaller wrote: »
    Spotted this on Saturday. A Sky dish bracket bolted to the top of a chimney and a Group A or B bolted to the bracket on a 2 storey house in Gorey.

You'd wonder why couldn't he just drill it onto the side of the chimney...Digiweb installers were notorious for drilling brackets onto top of chimneys ....shocking...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭excollier

Classy!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

The guy who did that should get a part in the new ad for a certain bread company, "It's a matter of pride".:rolleyes:

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,099 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

zerks wrote: »
    The guy who did that should get a part in the new ad for a certain bread company, "It's a matter of pride".:rolleyes:
    Because he didn't use his loaf?

/me gets coat.

• Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭poolboy

So have a guy coming Thursday to install an aerial what should I be looking for/ insisting on

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 3,584 Mod ✭✭✭✭St Senan

poolboy wrote: »
    So have a guy coming Thursday to install an aerial what should I be looking for/ insisting on

Pl insurance.
    Photo Id.
    Roofing ladders safety gear/harness.
    Saorview approved STB ( If he is supplying you with a STB).
    If its a chimney install then insist he uses a lashing kit and cradle to mount the pole on.
    Receipt with his contact details/Address on it

• Registered Users Posts: 6,583 ✭✭✭zg3409

Also on the receipt get him to itemise all items included and his value on them.

Also get in writing any guarantee for how long and if it covers a re-visit.

Make sure to get him to explain what the system does, and what it does not do. For long life I would also recommend a solid dish over any perforated dish.

Make sure you agree before he starts where he will drill holes etc. Remember you are the customer. If you want white coax, no use of the chimney, cables ran via attic etc then insist on it.

Make sure you get a couple of rough quotes to make sure you're not being charged a fortune.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,454 ✭✭✭cast_iron

scaller wrote: »
    Pl insurance.
    Photo Id.
    Roofing ladders safety gear/harness.
    Saorview approved STB ( If he is supplying you with a STB).
    If its a chimney install then insist he uses a lashing kit and cradle to mount the pole on.
    Receipt with his contact details/Address on it
    Looking for and insisting on are two completely different things, and it's not fair to lump them all as one list, as if they are all definite requirements.

Insist on:
    • Public Liability insurance
    • Lashing on chimney (if required). ie.no drilling. Drilling ok on a gable.
    • Roofing ladders (if required).
    • Receipt with contact details.
    • Details of guarantee.

Preferable:
    • Photo ID - if it's the man from a bricks and mortar shop you ordered the setup from, it's pretty daft insisting on it.
    • Membership of one of the 3 recognised installer groups by Saorview. The ISAA is the only dedicated installer body and has the most strict membership criteria.
    • Saorview approved box. Non approved will be cheaper, but won't have the same functionality. No excuse for non-approved these days.
    • Itemised bill. Though if you agreed a price before hand and were happy with it, then that agreement would still stand.
    • ct100 standard cable - the cheaper rg69 is rubbish, but will probably do.
    • Location of aerial agreed beforehand - discreet over convenience, where possible.
    • Cable runs agreed on if on view. ie. down the wall of the house (internal or external).
    • Standard chimney ware is a single or double lashing kit with a 1.5 or 2 inch pole.
    • Standard fare for gables would be TK brackets with a 1.5 or 2 inch pole.
    Avoid local ads and donedeal type ads offering what seems like great value. It is actually to good to be true.
    Preferably use a recognised installer, who has a good name and comes recommended. Bricks and mortar shops offer a little more comeback than other types.

• Registered Users Posts: 371 ✭✭larchill

If you go across the water, or even up north lower level aerial installs are much more common. Not so many 10/15 ft 1.5/2" masts on chimneys to be seen. Its a kind of aerial setup we're going to see a lot more of now with digital tv.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,757 ✭✭✭lawhec

larchill wrote: »
    If you go across the water, or even up north lower level aerial installs are much more common. Not so many 10/15 ft 1.5/2" masts on chimneys to be seen. Its a kind of aerial setup we're going to see a lot more of now with digital tv.
    Depends where you are up north - in areas where three aerials are required for all analogue terrestrial services (RTÉ VHF, TV3/TG4 UHF & BBC/UTV/C4/C5 UHF) the wind load and aerial spacing required require the use of longer & thicker poles otherwise they'd break on the first 40mph gust. The majority of support poles are at least 10 feet & 1.5 inches thick, with many being 2 inches.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭Rowley Birkin QC

Just wondering if any of the professionals here could recommend an indoor aerial for a ground floor apt. in Dublin 3?

I have a Saorview approved TV, have tested it at home in North Cork with the feed from the old aerial on the roof and it works perfectly well, but can't get any sort of signal when I connected it to an indoor aerial that DID Electrical sold me.

The apt. is on the ground floor and I won't be able to install any aerials on the roof obviously. Any recommendations would be welcome, thanks.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,285 ✭✭✭Peter Rhea

Your query isn't relevant to this thread, but the reason you get no signal is because there is no signal present at the aerial location.

Try moving it around, near a window would be a good place to start. If you're on a ground floor, you'll probably have to depend on signal reflections unless you have a clear view of the transmitter.

Highly unlikely that a different model aerial would make any difference.

byte

Just wondering if any of the professionals here could recommend an indoor aerial for a ground floor apt. in Dublin 3?

I have a Saorview approved TV, have tested it at home in North Cork with the feed from the old aerial on the roof and it works perfectly well, but can't get any sort of signal when I connected it to an indoor aerial that DID Electrical sold me.

The apt. is on the ground floor and I won't be able to install any aerials on the roof obviously. Any recommendations would be welcome, thanks.
    What sort of aerial did you buy? Quite a few indoor aerials available are really only any good in very strong signal areas.

I'd amend that to ALL indoor aerials are only good in strong signal areas. A 18 Element yagi on top of the wardrobe isn't really an Indoor aerial in the spirit of it :)

byte wrote: »
    What sort of aerial did you buy? Quite a few indoor aerials available are really only any good in very strong signal areas.
    watty wrote: »
    I'd amend that to ALL indoor aerials are only good in strong signal areas. A 18 Element yagi on top of the wardrobe isn't really an Indoor aerial in the spirit of it :)

Thanks for replying and apologies for derailing the thread somewhat, just figured this was likely to be the place where the professionals were.

The aerial I bought and returned is shown here.

blackaerial.png

Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,476 ✭✭✭ardmacha

What is the role of the "HD" on the side of that box. Is it a very good quality picture of the aerial or something?

ardmacha wrote: »
    What is the role of the "HD" on the side of that box. Is it a very good quality picture of the aerial or something?

I asked the sales dude about that and he fluffed it, was actually pretty funny at the time. :D

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Ground floor Dublin 3 sounds like it won't work. Try a rooftop aerial or UPC.

Sponge Bob wrote: »

Arse. Thanks anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,351 ✭✭✭Ronnie Raygun

Sponge Bob wrote: »

Rowley, this is a stupid generalisation, although your own experience with an indoor aerial isn't exactly encouraging with regard to your own particular location.

But we're talking about an entire district of a city less than 10 miles from a high powered transmitter & I would think plenty of locations at ground level would have a strong enough signal for reliable viewing, given the usual caveats wrt indoor aerials.

Rowley, this is a stupid generalisation, although your own experience with an indoor aerial isn't exactly encouraging with regard to your own particular location.

But we're talking about an entire district of a city less than 10 miles from a high powered transmitter & I would think plenty of locations at ground level would have a strong enough signal for reliable viewing, given the usual caveats wrt indoor aerials.

I thought so too. I'm not in any sort of mad rush with it but I would really like to have Network 2 HD for the Euros.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,188 ✭✭✭wil

Excellent signal at ground level in D6, even on one of those tiny pc aerials, so give it a try first. Previously I couldnt get a watchable analog signal on a proper aerial.

Meanwhile back on thread - not sure if these lot are good in valleys or proclaiming their dubious morals.
    "Lowest Soarview Supplier in Ireland ";)

byte

If you're going to try any indoor aerial, I suggest one like this...
    indoor.png

Pretty cheap and effective (as much as indoor aerials can be). Even better if you can find a retailer that'll take it back if it doesn't work out. Didn't see them on Peats or Argos though.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

D3 ( low down) is on the wrong side of a lot of high buildings, D6 ain't. If Rowley was in Rathfarnham I'd tell him use a coat hanger. :)

byte wrote: »
    If you're going to try any indoor aerial, I suggest one like this...
    indoor.png

Pretty cheap and effective (as much as indoor aerials can be). Even better if you can find a retailer that'll take it back if it doesn't work out. Didn't see them on Peats or Argos though.

Loads of them in "bargain stores" in Limerick at €8

If one of those doesn't work you need outdoor aerial in Attic or ideally outdoors. I have used large "chimney" Yagi and "Bowtie grid" in Attic, on a balcony and on top of a wardrobe.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,305 ✭✭✭Antenna

Thanks for replying and apologies for derailing the thread somewhat, just figured this was likely to be the place where the professionals were.

The aerial I bought and returned is shown here.

205378.png

Thanks.

That aerial positioned as in the picture - would be for vertical polarisation - yet you want to receive a horizontal polarised transmitter.

Did the instructions say anything about positioning for either vertical or horizontal polarisation?

If you still had it you could have tried putting it FLAT on top of a small plastic box (i.e. NOT a metal surface) and rotate it through 180 degrees to get best signal.

• Advertisement

Also it has zero real gain. It's a knitting needle with an amplifier. An amplifier increases noise and interference. Generally only used for longer cables to obviate loss (the long cable also attenuates the noise and interference too).

To have "proper gain" i.e. increase the ratio of signal to noise, an aerial needs to be larger to collect from a larger area (either more aerials= Bowtie/grid, longer=yagi/log-periodic or big lens effect= dish).

Advertisement