Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

This type of Installer will destroy the Aerial business

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

NewHillel banned for one week for continuing to post regarding other members despite earlier general requests and warnings to stop.

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,101 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

On the subject of the Sky dish bracketry, I agree that it should never point up the way.

Mostly because of leverage, especially over time as the rubbish metals weaken/rot, but also, the inside of the tubing doesn't seem to be treated with paint either.

I have quite often replaced dishes whereby the L-bar pointed upwards, and after years, the dish rots away at the bend.

Aside from all that, it'd have been handier, IMO, for the installer to just use a lashing and cradle kit for both dish and aerial, at one side of chimney, regardless of all else.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 350 ✭✭Cesium Clock

byte wrote: »
    On the subject of the Sky dish bracketry, I agree that it should never point up the way.

Mostly because of leverage, especially over time as the rubbish metals weaken/rot, but also, the inside of the tubing doesn't seem to be treated with paint either.

I have quite often replaced dishes whereby the L-bar pointed upwards, and after years, the dish rots away at the bend.

Aside from all that, it'd have been handier, IMO, for the installer to just use a lashing and cradle kit for both dish and aerial, at one side of chimney, regardless of all else.

spot on, problems that most of us who do this day in and day out experience.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 745 ✭✭✭Extinction

Sky's code of practice regarding the installation of these brackets says they should always be faced down, this is because as already stated there is a risk of rust damage to the pole from rain water. I think sky's own code regarding the use of their brackets should be enough of a reason to install them as recommended. We have all seen brackets that have been installed incorrectly rust away to nothing and experience alone tells us how to install them. The amount of damage that can be done by incorrectly installing a lashing kit is something else we have all seen, chunks of brick missing from corners of chimneys etc, it is us that see these things day in day out and I think it is correct in a public forum to discuss these things so customers are aware that the cheapest job can often be the costliest in the end.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,454 ✭✭✭cast_iron

byte wrote: »
    Well we don't know the circumstances of the install. Perhaps the dish was already there and the lashing isn't in great nick. Then the installer would be best advised avoid the lashing and do his own thing. But your way would certainly have been a neater job too.
    Personally, I'd run anyone that did that on my house. Sadly, the average joe soap knows no better and worse still, doesn't seem to care.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,757 ✭✭✭lawhec

WRT the pole on Sky minidish installiations, the one at my parents house was installed approx 12 years ago with the pole pointing upwards and it's still fine but yes I do think about rainwater getting in through the exposed top of it. Kind of fortunate/lucky in this case I guess.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 6,265 CMod ✭✭✭✭MiCr0

STB banned for a week

• Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭Iderown

You often see two (three..) yagis mounted on match-stick thin masts. Lashing kits placed close to the bottom of chimneys and with mast clamps of such a small size that the mast easily hammers against the coping of the chimney.
    Warning about using expansion type bolts in brickwork within 5 or 6 courses of the top. These bolts can expand with tremendous force and cause brick courses above them to "lift" - permanent structural damage.
    End of rant.

• Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭Booms

Very relevant (and impressive) pictures in this google groups thread:
    google goups tech tv

see the link on the first post:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

I see one Irish man has made the CAI Rogue Traders List.

http://www.cai.org.uk/about-the-cai/cai-rogue-traders

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 3,584 Mod ✭✭✭✭St Senan

Here is Another wideband mounted on an upside down Sky dish wall bracket, This time he (the same guy from the last picture I put up) took down a perfectly good cradle, lashing kit and pole to drill into the chimney.
    Originally there was a VHF combined with a Group A UHF on that house so there was probably no need to have a new Aerial fitted at all. But unfortunately this poor customer wouldn't know that and wasn't going to be told by someone who has jumped on the Saorview bandwagon out to make a quick killing.

200630.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,249 ✭✭✭kbell

..and installed a new 'digital aerial' instead.

kbell wrote: »
    ..and installed a new 'digital aerial' instead.

On a new Digital bracket :D

How long before this aerial and dish topple?

• Registered Users Posts: 33 Digitaltv

Extinction wrote: »
    How long before this aerial and dish topple?

I would say the storms this week

How long before this aerial and dish topple? https://us.v-cdn.net/6034073/uploads/attachments/533398/200922.jpg

Jaysus that is shocking how could any guy call himself a Digital tv Installer after sticking up that eyesore. The LNB is even the wrong type for that dish.

A cracker of an idea to improve signal :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,138 ✭✭✭snaps

Poor bugger has left his hammer there too!

snaps wrote: »
    Poor bugger has left his hammer there too!

Might be best if he left all his tools and the keys to his van there.

That has to be 1 of the worst eyesores that I have ever seen.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,351 ✭✭✭Ronnie Raygun

scaller wrote: »
    That has to be 1 of the worst eyesores that I have ever seen.

And from ground level you wouldn't see (or care) about it at all.

Are these genuine pics taken by those who post them? Are they even in this country?

Two digital aerials and two digital wall mounts, must have been done by the GDS.

And from ground level you wouldn't see (or care) about it at all.

Are these genuine pics taken by those who post them? Are they even in this country?

Unfortunately they are genuine and they are in this country, the installer who did both of these (who I wont name) is a member of one of the trade bodies, he has the trade body logo displayed on his van and seperate Saorview logos, on his facebook page he describes himself as 'Lead installer at Saorview'!!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 6,265 CMod ✭✭✭✭MiCr0

Extinction banned for a week for ignoring mod instructions

MiCr0 wrote: »

Who Bans the mods ? They sound like gods, since this is happening so much now, why bother with topic at all, you can't say boo without been banned, sure I'm next.

Anything relating to Terrestrial TV can be discussed in this forum, and this specific thread is about poor fitting of equipment.
    This forum, or any on boards.ie, is not about discussing other users.

Any post can be reported on, there is a little stop sign under each users post.
    If you have a problem with some content, use the report feature.

The reason users were banned here is because they continued to discuss other users and post off topic even after my explicit warning that people would get banned if they did.
    Any user can get banned, regardless of whether or not they are a mod.
    Also, I banned the 2 users in this thread, not the forum mods.

Hope this clears things up.
    MiCr0

Are we allowed to discuss Associations, groups etc, as these are not single people.

And if not why.

I'll let the forum mods answer that one.

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭B bopp

Digitaltv wrote: »

Who Bans the mods ? They sound like gods, since this is happening so much now, why bother with topic at all, you can't say boo without been banned, sure I'm next.
    Seems to be true... some people get banned for nothing yet others can post photos and say where they are trading from without any bans being issued. who mods the mods

• Advertisement

B bopp wrote: »
    Digitaltv wrote: »

Seems to be true... some people get banned for nothing yet others can post photos and say where they are trading from without any bans being issued. who mods the mods
    I just don't get this, do you have an issue with comments made by one of the mods?
    I get all the reported posts, and I can't remember seeing any reports from either of you?
    The users were banned for a week for off topic comments after a very specific warning.
    Was this not clear enough?

Advertisement