Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

This type of Installer will destroy the Aerial business

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,285 ✭✭✭Peter Rhea

Is there any other location available on the property for that dish where the signal isn't actually blocked by a tree?

Nothing wrong with using a bit of ingenuity as long as the dish is mounted on a part of the tree that doesn't move in the wind.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,351 ✭✭✭Ronnie Raygun

Look at the cables though & I dread to think how they're routed to the house.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,285 ✭✭✭Peter Rhea

It's a balls of a job, my post was tongue-in-cheek, see how it echoes this entry in the ATV Cowboys' Locker.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 350 ✭✭Cesium Clock

spotted in Wicklow,
    tree.jpg

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 3,584 Mod ✭✭✭✭St Senan

Spotted this in Gorey a while back

• Advertisement

scaller wrote: »

where H becomes V and V becomes H

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Think I saw that myself.Why oh why do installers have the bar facing upwards? It lets rain in to corrode the inside plus if they can't be bothered to tighten everything properly it ends up like what's in Scallers pics.At least it wasn't screwed into the fascia:pac:

zerks wrote: »
    Think I saw that myself.Why oh why do installers have the bar facing upwards? It lets rain in to corrode the inside plus if they can't be bothered to tighten everything properly it ends up like what's in Scallers pics.At least it wasn't screwed into the fascia:pac:

its an installer who has been 'teached' by an installer who 'learn't' it himself, and the plague spreads.

• Registered Users Posts: 267 ✭✭scruffy66

spotted in Wicklow,
    tree.jpg

You have to hand it to this guy, necessity is the mother of all invention.

Good diy, he'll be up and down that tree on a regular basis thou.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

He needs stay wires. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

watty wrote: »
    He needs stay wires. :)

Or a chainsaw.

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭aerial man

I showed this to the father one day and he got a right laugh out of it. its sorted now.

It cant beat the sky dish that was mounted on an older analog dish down past tescos! Have you still got that photo scaller?

aerial man wrote: »
    I showed this to the father one day and he got a right laugh out of it. its sorted now.

It cant beat the sky dish that was mounted on an older analog dish down past tescos! Have you still got that photo scaller?

Yep it's here on this post http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=51100871&postcount=1

Last year I priced these 3 Jobs. I was in that Park today and as you all can see the people got the Jobs done CHEAPER :eek::eek::eek::eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

I've also been making a collection.

Here are some I collected in the last month. All by the same cheap bastard (who has a TV shop on the main street in a nearby town). I wouldn't mind his prices are ridiculously expensive, the least he could do is use proper f joiners and splitters. I showed the pics to the customers involved and they all insisted he was the only one ever did their TV work and the only one ever in the attics of these houses, all 3 were pensioners and 2 of the houses were bungalows in elderly housing schemes.

Sorry about the lighting, its a phone camera with no flash taking pics under head torch light.

IMG_20120224_103732.jpg

IMG_20120315_121326.jpg

IMG_20120316_132158.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 33 Digitaltv

How can anyone let cowboys drill/screw into there mobile home/caravan.
    I would love to see the green mould inside after a few months.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,325 ✭✭✭✭Tony

Digitaltv wrote: »
    How can anyone let cowboys drill/screw into there mobile home/caravan.

Ok lets not insult Cowboys :)

Desktop PC Boards discount code on https://www.satellite.ie/ is boards.ie

• Closed Accounts Posts: 745 ✭✭✭Extinction

Does anyone expect things to get any better? Its six months to switch over and there hasn't even been a decent advertising campaign yet and there is no real value put on installers by our national broadcaster. Saorview recognise the trade bodies but for some strange reason the installers who have shown themselves to be honest and professional can't be approved to sell the saorview boxes they have to provide as part of their buisness. The black market work in aerial installations is huge yet every registered installer I know is seeing very little work. Can someone tell me what advantage there is to being a member of any of the three trade bodies when the cowboy installers are getting away with poor workmanship?

Well you cannot really force customers to go with any particular installer however if you are a member of a trade body so are at least showing a commitment to uphold a certain level of quality so customers can make an informed choice .

Its just unfortunate that many people go with the cheapest initial price with no regard to workmanship which usually ends up costing much more in the long term when the job has to be put right.

What you have to do is demonstrate the benefits of going with an installer that has a solid reputation.

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,099 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

Last year I priced these 3 Jobs. I was in that Park today and as you all can see the people got the Jobs done CHEAPER :eek::eek::eek::eek:
    Jesus Christ! :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭PressTheButton

Showing total disregard for health & safety, this guy even forgot to bring the aerial with him:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K9EICyaEJq0&list=UUCtG6glU2Mzlcyit6j61gIg&index=1&feature=plcp :eek:

I just spotted this last week.

Sorry for quality of the picture it was taken 50kmh.

Anyhow the group B is under the dish and pointing directly into the roof.:eek::eek:

What sort of installer would put this over some ones front door. :eek::eek:

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,099 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

I just spotted this last week.

Sorry for quality of the picture it was taken 50kmh.

Anyhow the group B is under the dish and pointing directly into the roof.:eek::eek:

What sort of installer would put this over some ones front door. :eek::eek:
    That is one monumental f***-up of an install! That also looks like one of those rather light and bendy/flimsy 1.5" cranked mast welded to one section of a T&K. If it is, there isn't a hope it'll last long. Sneezing near it would probably sway it, causing breakup on satellite!

BRKT42.jpg

The Guy who put this on that persons chimney can not call himself an Aerial rigger or Installer. This has all been predicted since before last May and its only going to get worse before ASO. Its guys like this that is going to ruin this business.

• Registered Users Posts: 314 ✭✭s_gr

The Guy who put this on that persons chimney can not call himself an Aerial rigger or Installer. This has all been predicted since before last May and its only going to get worse before ASO. Its guys like this that is going to ruin this business.

I dont mean to be smart but i cant see the issue with the last photo if the signal is up to spec then what is the problem? No need to install 10ft pole if not needed i would reckon?

s_gr wrote: »
    I dont mean to be smart but i cant see the issue with the last photo if the signal is up to spec then what is the problem? No need to install 10ft pole if not needed i would reckon?

It looks like its been drilled on to the chimney instead of a lashing kit (which the dish seems to have) and it should be facing downwards , if the top of the bracket gets water ingress it will eventually rust and break at the elbow. Its also more stable when mounted facing down.

• Registered Users Posts: 314 ✭✭s_gr

Tony wrote: »
    It looks like its been drilled on to the chimney instead of a lashing kit (which the dish seems to have) and it should be facing downwards , if the top of the bracket gets water ingress it will eventually rust and break at the elbow. Its also more stable when mounted facing down.

Well the same could be said for loads dishes fitted to date by both sky and independents judging by whats on view everyday.

The guy who installed that probably made a big deal out of putting that up as Tony has said he drilled four 10 or 12 mm holes into the face of the chimney he has the used a Dish mounting bracket upside down to mount the aerial on
    (WATER and RUST) http://images.esellerpro.com/2237/I/300/8/SK47-4.jpg Anyhow it would have made more sense to mount that in the attic less than 2 feet below it.

s_gr wrote: »
    Well the same could be said for loads dishes fitted to date by both sky and independents judging by whats on view everyday.

Indeed yes

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭NewHillel

The guy who installed that probably made a big deal out of putting that up
    Have you anything to justify that comment?

as Tony has said he drilled four 10 or 12 mm holes into the face of the chimney
    Did he damage the flue, or otherwise impact the structure of the chimney?
    he has the used a Dish mounting bracket
    So? It's a nice neat solution.

...Dish mounting bracket upside down to mount the aerial on
    Common practice, unfortunately.
    Anyhow it would have made more sense to mount that in the attic less than 2 feet below it.
    Why?
    (If this is to avoid drilling holes for coax cable through external walls, then I agree 100%. However this approach does increase installation costs and some installers are unwilling/unable to route cables internally.)

Advertisement