Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pitch And Putt

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 783 ✭✭✭HITMANHEALY

Patrick Tinsley (Ryston) v Larry McGinn (Castletown)
    JR Crangle (Lough) v Noel Comiskey (Granard)
    Liam Sherry (Bridgets) v Gary Healy (Lough)
    Gerard McGurik (Cement) v Edward English (Cloghouge)

Anthony Galvin (Tullamore) v Mark Cuskelly (Tullamore)
    William Bukcley Jnr (Erry) v Kieron Morrissey (St.Patricks)
    Ian Farrelly (Duleek) v Jim Judge (Cement)
    Anto Kavanagh (Duleek) v George mc Greal (O.C)

Eddie Carey (Athgarvan) v Sean Harkins (RGSC)
    Kieran Egan (Ferbane) v Robert Bissett (Duleek)
    William Buckley Snr (Erry) v Sean Downes (Stackallen)
    Sean Robinson (Ferbane) v Michael Hogan (Tullamore)

Paul O Gorman (Tullamore) v Richard Harkins (Lough)
    Niall Quigley (Cloghouge) v Patrick Conneely (Athboy)
    Patrick McBride (Stackallen) v Anto Lynch (Glenville)
    Darren o Reilly (CPM) v James Carroll (Casteltown)

3 matches to be played on Saturday - Semi Finals and Finals on Sunday

• Closed Accounts Posts: 191 ✭✭Tipperman

Alan Kelly E.S.B. V John O'Meara Riverdale
    Celestine Ryan Larkspur Park V Davy Morrissey Lakeside
    Mark O'Brien Larkspur Park V Frank Dineen St. Anne's
    Noel Joyce Hillview V John Walsh Collins

Darren Goodall Tralee V Liam O'Donovan Bruff
    John Garrett Collins V Paul O'Brien Lakeside
    Kieran Earls Parteen V Paudie O'Sullivan Majestic
    Mick Walsh Parteen V Jason O'Regan Tralee

James O'Donovan Bruff V Thomas O'Donovan Bruff
    Darren Collins St. Anne's V James Cleary Hillview
    Damien Fleming Deerpark V Jimmy O'Neill Larkspur Park
    John O'Suiilvan Majestic V Declan Sheedy Clare Road

Frank O'Donoghue Templebreedy V Shane Hoare Larkspur Park
    Ray Murphy Templebreedy V Tommy Hanley Bruff
    Jonathan Goodall Tralee V J.P. Fletton Tralee
    Eoin Shannon Collins V John O'Sullivan St. Anne's

mr.jingle wrote: »
    Hi tipperman well played last wknd!
    Congrats have to go to murphy the mans a legend and a nice guy to boot i remember dropping my bankcard down in st.stephens in the all irelands a couple o yrs ago an he was out behind me and well basically payed my wknd!

Regarding the money situation would we still lose our amateur status if we were to receive vouchers as ya wud in scratch cups, opens...etc Surely if a club can fork out a €300 1st €150 2nd in prices in scratch cups,surely then the nationals should be able to top that sort of prize as it is the one prize everyone wants(but cant get coz of dat damn murphy lad:D)

You are allowed a top prize of €127 in a local comp ie voucher etc and up to €500 for open competition.. In my opinion if you win the National you should received €500 voucher and €300 for second and €150 for beaten semi finalist etc.. You are doing nothing wrong here as vouchers are not hard cash but they are an excellent prize especially those one4all vouchers... Glass is still fine and medals but give the voucher also.. Like I mean in both comps (ladies & gents) you would be giving out €2,200 in vouchers and with Crystal and Medals I would say that the total would be about €3k... Take 400 entries is still €4k and sponsorship of around €2k ( I don't how much was given this year but fair play to Michael Murphy for coming on board ).. The comp is still making over €3k and on the law of averages that would be the norm with most National Comps

It will be interesting to see what happens in the future.. You take all the Majors in Golf.. They play for the most prizemoney.. Why can't the PPUI follow suit???

• Registered Users Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Draupnir

It comes back to the amateur status thing I guess, to my mind it is more about creating larger tournaments and getting an international individual contest developed than it is about the actual money involved.

I doubt there are many P&P players more interested in prizes than in titles. I know personally I don't have much interest in earnings but I would love to compete in major tournaments.

Draupnir wrote: »
    Something else I'd be interested in hearing more about would be the international competitions I see mentioned on the FIPPA website, are these at a higher level than Irish national championships?

Is there an actual world championship yet? Strokeplay or matchplay? I'm talking about an individual competition rather than the Team World Cup and Euro Championships which I am aware of already.

When you think about it, I can't understand why there is not an Irish Open anyway...I mean Ireland is the home of Pitch & Putt and other countries are now leaving us behind.. I have seen first hand experience as to how serious they are treating the game.. In Sardinia last year at the Euro we won and that is fine but the scoreline in the games didn't reflect how tight the games were... We still have the best players in the world but it was inevitable that Ireland would be beaten.. Catalonia now has more members than Ireland playing the game and in Sardinia they're supporters great outnumbered ours.. The International game is a good way forward but always remember that the grassroots of P&P cannot afford to suffer because of International Status etc... Our Union need to badly address the rapid decline in members as they are not all going to Golf etc, they are simply just giving it up which is very worrying....

• Advertisement

It has always seemed strange to me that more clubs don't put a lot into getting juveniles playing. Is there a sense that kids on the course will spoil it for the adult members, particularly the older people who play the game?

Kids aren't usually into golf since it involves so much cash, normally requires transport and takes a lot of time. If each club partnered with a school and the PPUI started a schools championship I think it could develop a lot more lifetime members from a young age and get in between 20 and 50 members for each club involved.

Tipperman wrote: »
    Alan Kelly E.S.B. V John O'Meara Riverdale
    Celestine Ryan Larkspur Park V Davy Morrissey Lakeside
    Mark O'Brien Larkspur Park V Frank Dineen St. Anne's
    Noel Joyce Hillview V John Walsh Collins

Darren Goodall Tralee V Liam O'Donovan Bruff
    John Garrett Collins V Paul O'Brien Lakeside
    Kieran Earls Parteen V Paudie O'Sullivan Majestic
    Mick Walsh Parteen V Jason O'Regan Tralee

James O'Donovan Bruff V Thomas O'Donovan Bruff
    Darren Collins St. Anne's V James Cleary Hillview
    Damien Fleming Deerpark V Jimmy O'Neill Larkspur Park
    John O'Suiilvan Majestic V Declan Sheedy Clare Road

Frank O'Donoghue Templebreedy V Shane Hoare Larkspur Park
    Ray Murphy Templebreedy V Tommy Hanley Bruff
    Jonathan Goodall Tralee V J.P. Fletton Tralee
    Eoin Shannon Collins V John O'Sullivan St. Anne's

Looking at that draw, it appears there is a potentially huge clash early on between Ray Murphy and Frank O'Donoghue. If I was in the other sections of the draw I would be delighted to see that at least one of those two will be out by the latter stages.

It has always seemed strange to me that more clubs don't put a lot into getting juveniles playing. Is there a sense that kids on the course will spoil it for the adult members, particularly the older people who play the game?

Kids aren't usually into golf since it involves so much cash, normally requires transport and takes a lot of time. If each club partnered with a school and the PPUI started a schools championship I think it could develop a lot more lifetime members from a young age and get in between 20 and 50 members for each club involved.

Keeping Juveniles has always been a huge problem... Take my county Tipperary... We won an All Ireland Juvenile in 94 and only two of us are still playing the game... In 2001 they won and in 2000,2002&2003 they came second and only one player from all those teams is playing the game... I can never figure out why they don't keep it up.. My only thinking on it is.. It is a massive step to be a very good juvenile and trying to make it in the Senior Grade.. A lot of Juveniles don't want to play in the Inter or Junior Grade as when Juveniles they were used to being Number 1.. When you come up against the Top Senior Players it is some wake up call.. I know, I went through it in 97 and found it tough but persevered.. Young lads today have too many outlets and maybe Pitch & Putt is sexy enough in their eyes.. It is a huge step up to adult grade and some just can't cope with not winning all the time

The PPUI do run a schools comp and it seems to be a decent success but I have to wonder why they run it when the season is over in Oct rather than run it in April etc just before current season is going to start..

It is wrong though at NEC level that they do not have a Juvenile Officer and never have since I have playing since.. If they did this person could dedicate their time and ideas to ensure growth in numbers etc and also try and entice them to continue the game after they turn 16... It is a tough subject though

A stupid question coming now but can someone please outline the general rules/etiquette involved in competitive matchplay?

Just the kind of things I should be looking out for or doing at the Dublin matchplay would be good. For example, length of putt that I would be expected to give, conceding holes when I am taking my sixth shot from the middle of the next green or something mad like that!

Anyway, a brief run down would be majorly helpful so that I dont insult anyone or get myself disqualified!

A stupid question coming now but can someone please outline the general rules/etiquette involved in competitive matchplay?

Just the kind of things I should be looking out for or doing at the Dublin matchplay would be good. For example, length of putt that I would be expected to give, conceding holes when I am taking my sixth shot from the middle of the next green or something mad like that!

Anyway, a brief run down would be majorly helpful so that I dont insult anyone or get myself disqualified!

Matchplay is easy enough to play:

First of all, lenght of putt can differ 2 foot putts can be tricky depending on slope's of greens, if you feel its tricky sont give it, anything uner that i usually give but its up to u, others might have a better explanation on this. always mark ur ball unless told to pick it up

Furthest away from the hole always plays even ur on the green and a player is off the green, so ex.you have a 12 foot putt on the green and the other player s 10ft of the green then u go. if you havent got the honour dont go first from the tee box or u will lose the hole.

Everything else is basic

• Advertisement

There are no hard and fast rules really....

One big one that lads aren't really aware off.. If your ball is off the green and your opponent is on the green but you are closer to the hole then it is your opponent who is to play first....

As for giving putts.. There are no rules here at all.. It is your preference as to what putts to give and not to give.. It all depends on how tight the game is at any given time.. I am known to be a tight fuker though:D

Needless to say if you have taken a 5 etc and your opponent is on for 2 you normally just move on to the next hole...

You will be fine anyway but if you are unsure of anything I am sure your opponent will fill you in anyway...

Matchplay is easy enough to play:

First of all, lenght of putt can differ 2 foot putts can be tricky depending on slope's of greens, if you feel its tricky sont give it, anything uner that i usually give but its up to u, others might have a better explanation on this. always mark ur ball unless told to pick it up

Furthest away from the hole always plays even ur on the green and a player is off the green, so ex.you have a 12 foot putt on the green and the other player s 10ft of the green then u go. if you havent got the honour dont go first from the tee box or u will lose the hole.

Everything else is basic

Hitman

Are you sure you loose the hole if you take the honour???? My understanding is that you can hit down after your opponent and either leave him play his original shot or ask him to play again... I am not sure on that one as it very rarely happens but it would be good to know as lads could that unknown to themselves etc

Whats the rule for chipping in while the flag is in the hole? Do I take the ball out without removing the flag or remove the flag and then get my ball?

Whats the rule for chipping in while the flag is in the hole? Do I take the ball out without removing the flag or remove the flag and then get my ball?

Take the flagout without removing the flag and then the ball..
    If the ball is only lying against the flag, give the flag a little knock until the ball disappears into the hole... The ball has to be under the lip of the hole as then it is deemed out of play.... Always repeat taking out the flag and then removing the ball whether you chip in, get a hole in one or putt from off the green...

• Registered Users Posts: 998 ✭✭✭Kingdom

Hitman

Are you sure you loose the hole if you take the honour???? My understanding is that you can hit down after your opponent and either leave him play his original shot or ask him to play again... I am not sure on that one as it very rarely happens but it would be good to know as lads could that unknown to themselves etc

No you don't lose the hole. Made this mistake myself in a Juvenile lge match many moons ago. Your interpretation is spot on Tipperman.

Kingdom wrote: »
    No you don't lose the hole. Made this mistake myself in a Juvenile lge match many moons ago. Your interpretation is spot on Tipperman.

As far as im aware u do i.ll check it out

Kingdom what do u think of the leinster matchplay draw, i could play gerard mcguirk - the chap u played in the matchplay - whats he like

Kingdom what do u think of the leinster matchplay draw, i could play gerard mcguirk - the chap u played in the matchplay - whats he like

I think its a decent draw. I'm happy with my "section of 8". I think its an open enough grouping. The draw itself is a good one, there are no handy groups.

The first group is interesting because Larry McGinn would quietly fancy himself in Erry. JR on paper has a handy one but Noel likes Clara as well from what I've seen, Harry would be expected to get through his match as would N*gger. Anyone could claim that semi final spot.

The next section is interesting, as I feel the winner comes from this section. And not necessarily William Buckley either.
    Aggie Galvin is playing well this year and won the county matchplay in Clara last year, while running Buckley close in the County stroke two weeks ago. Also in that group, Ian, Jim or George could all emerge to face the winner of Buckley/Galvin and there will be little to choose between them.
    The 3rd group is more simple. The winner of Harkins or Carey will get to the quarters, and while it seem obvious enough to most that they will face Sean Downes, in reality it will be a bit tougher than that. Old Bill is decent on the "hill" if he can get some momentum, and Mick Hogan owes him one for Stackallen last year, and is playing some solid pitch and putt.
    The final group is a bit complex too. A former matchplay champ, a local and two of the finer young players around. Given his form James Carroll would be favourite to emerge here, I'd have to concede.

As for the direct question asked about N*gger. He's a good player, he was off form facing me, however he scrambled superbly around the greens in Glenville and given some of the pin positions that was no easy feat. If he's on form it could be an epic between ye Harry, but remember Liam Sherry is no mug and Clara's greens are similar to Bridgets.

I think its a decent draw. I'm happy with my "section of 8". I think its an open enough grouping. The draw itself is a good one, there are no handy groups.

The first group is interesting because Larry McGinn would quietly fancy himself in Erry. JR on paper has a handy one but Noel likes Clara as well from what I've seen, Harry would be expected to get through his match as would N*gger. Anyone could claim that semi final spot.

The next section is interesting, as I feel the winner comes from this section. And not necessarily William Buckley either.
    Aggie Galvin is playing well this year and won the county matchplay in Clara last year, while running Buckley close in the County stroke two weeks ago. Also in that group, Ian, Jim or George could all emerge to face the winner of Buckley/Galvin and there will be little to choose between them.
    The 3rd group is more simple. The winner of Harkins or Carey will get to the quarters, and while it seem obvious enough to most that they will face Sean Downes, in reality it will be a bit tougher than that. Old Bill is decent on the "hill" if he can get some momentum, and Mick Hogan owes him one for Stackallen last year, and is playing some solid pitch and putt.
    The final group is a bit complex too. A former matchplay champ, a local and two of the finer young players around. Given his form James Carroll would be favourite to emerge here, I'd have to concede.

As for the direct question asked about N*gger. He's a good player, he was off form facing me, however he scrambled superbly around the greens in Glenville and given some of the pin positions that was no easy feat. If he's on form it could be an epic between ye Harry, but remember Liam Sherry is no mug and Clara's greens are similar to Bridgets.

Why to u keep calling me harry

Did Larry Maher JNR win in Erry last Monday

• Advertisement

I will definitely try to get to a few of the opens, its just tough with work and wanting to play in my own club competitions, you know yourself.

I'm play a chap from Lucan, J.Carey. Don't know much about Lucan or Erins Isle so I am in this for the experience more than anything!

John Carey is a former dublin junior matchplay chap. He's an old boy from the country I think, he'll be solid enough, the Inter and Junior Dublin matchplays are always a lottery.

When you think about it, I can't understand why there is not an Irish Open anyway...I mean Ireland is the home of Pitch & Putt and other countries are now leaving us behind.. I have seen first hand experience as to how serious they are treating the game.. In Sardinia last year at the Euro we won and that is fine but the scoreline in the games didn't reflect how tight the games were... We still have the best players in the world but it was inevitable that Ireland would be beaten.. Catalonia now has more members than Ireland playing the game and in Sardinia they're supporters great outnumbered ours.. The International game is a good way forward but always remember that the grassroots of P&P cannot afford to suffer because of International Status etc... Our Union need to badly address the rapid decline in members as they are not all going to Golf etc, they are simply just giving it up which is very worrying....

Well lads, first real chance to post since the weekend. Only caught the play up to Sunday, missed the latter stages unfortunately.
    Of what I saw, it was a good championships but not a great one. The standard was decent. Some shocks, some near misses, and some super comebacks. Was disappointed myself. Lost to a good player but unfortunately for me my putter really went cold on me, as I really thought I could do well. Anyway my aim was always to make it to Sunday:D and I did that so wait till next year.
    Ray Murphy, what a player! He is probably the best to have graced the sport. Certainly its a toss up between himself and Seán Downes.
    As someone alluded to earlier the general standard of the game is on the up, as it really has got tight amongst say the top 50-100 players.
    Tippermans example of taking 10 yrs to make the quarters for a second time illustrates just how hard it is to advance, provided you get through qualifying of course.

Agree that there is a resurrection in the game within the capital, and that has to be acted upon. Good to see a lot of younger Dublin players that hadn't qualified up in GV.
    Something I thought of a while ago, if Cloghogue can enter a Down team and an Armagh team for the Leinster Inter County, surely Dublin can enter a 2nd team, be that a northside team or a development team of some kind.
    The bookie was a good idea, very well done, good that it was done professionally.

Why to u keep calling me harry

I presume Eegor is referring to you as Harry. I'd love to know who it is. I'll just call you Hitman from now on. :D

Did Larry Maher JNR win in Erry last Monday

No, anthony galvin won with 22. Alan hanlon runnerup with 20. Young Newman from Clara 3rd.

Looking at the dublin board website, there was some great scoring in the Inter section of National Strokeplay qualifying in CY. I certainly have a few more names to look out for at the matchplay tonight now!

Played in Erins Isle yesterday to practice, the course is in brilliant condition and the greens were a pleasure if a bit long in places. I would imagine there will be a cut on some of them today and I think we will see a high standard tonight and for the full week.

100 was the cut in the senior grade - 1 player got in, the best score was 92.

Unfortunately i didnt get in, played poorly and deserved what i got, hit 7 greents in 27 holes, finished with 6 birdies and 2 fours to finish on 101 - sick to think that playing so poorly u miss out by one, i know mr jingles will feel the same

John O'Meara Riverdale 93
    Brian Webster Larkspur Park 96
    Paul O'Brien Lakeside 97
    Rory Hogan Riverdale 99
    Noel Stapleton Lakeside 100

Scoring was tough enough at Lakeside yday.. Greens were immaculate but very fast and there were a few very tricky pin positions...

The Cork Quals were at Majestic and the scoring was lets say of a pretty decent standard:D

John Cahill Fermoy 82
    John Walsh Collins 84
    Noel Collins Majestic 87
    Kieran Dunscombe St Annes 92
    Frank Dineen St Annes 93
    Bryan Delaney ESB 94
    Gary O'Sullivan Majestic 94
    Chris Scannell Collins 94
    Paudie O'Sullivan Majestic 95
    Frank O'Donoghue T/Breedy 95

I know the cut was 96 but they are the only scores I know.. Darren Collins St Annes and John O'Sullivan St Annes def missed out but scoring was of the highest standard in fairness

John O'Meara Riverdale 93
    Brian Webster Larkspur Park 96
    Paul O'Brien Lakeside 97
    Rory Hogan Riverdale 99
    Noel Stapleton Lakeside 100

Scoring was tough enough at Lakeside yday.. Greens were immaculate but very fast and there were a few very tricky pin positions...

The Cork Quals were at Majestic and the scoring was lets say of a pretty decent standard:D

John Cahill Fermoy 82
    John Walsh Collins 84
    Noel Collins Majestic 87
    Kieran Dunscombe St Annes 92
    Frank Dineen St Annes 93
    Bryan Delaney ESB 94
    Gary O'Sullivan Majestic 94
    Chris Scannell Collins 94
    Paudie O'Sullivan Majestic 95
    Frank O'Donoghue T/Breedy 95

I know the cut was 96 but they are the only scores I know.. Darren Collins St Annes and John O'Sullivan St Annes def missed out but scoring was of the highest standard in fairness

Thats some scoring by the top 3 players john cahill score is unstoppable

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 doylers08

Here are the senior qualifiers from cork.

J Cahill (Fermoy) 82, 26 under par, course record;
    J Walsh (Collins) 84;
    N Collins (Majestic) 87;
    K Dunscombe (St Anne’s) 92;
    F Dineen (St.Annes) 93;
    B Delaney (ESB) 94;
    C Scannell (Collins) 94;
    E Walsh (Collins) 94;
    G O’Sullivan (Majestic) 94;
    R Donovan (Fermoy) 94;
    D Doyle (Elton, Cobh) 95;
    E Shannon (Collins) 95;
    F O’Donoghue (Templebreedy) 95;
    P O’Sullivan (Majestic) 95;
    P Curran (Majestic) 96.

• Advertisement

Only have time to do the seniors will post the inter and juniors late on

Second Round Ties

L Collins (cy) v F Ryan (RGSC)
    S Harkins RGSC v PJ McCluskey (Lucan)
    G Flanagan bye to the Quater Finals
    D Thornberry (CPM) v G Healy (Loughlinstown)
    A Gray (Glenville) v G Heffernan (Erins Isle)
    F Connolly (Glenville) v G Fitzpatrick (CPM)
    A Cuddihy (CPM) v A Lowe (OC)
    J McLaughlin (EI) v Paul Nolan (EI)

Advertisement