Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Who thinks Trump will win?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,050 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

Is there anywhere I can find examples of enthusiasm for the Biden/Harris campaign....anywhere at all?

There is a myriad of content available of huge crowds inside and outside venues that Trump is speaking at*...there is a myriad of content showing crowds lining the streets all over the US where Trump is visiting a factory or a town...there is a myriad of content available showing the massive boat parades in support of Trump all over the US in particular in typically Democrat states...I cannot however find any content where Biden arrives at a venue that is buzzing with supporters....I know the algorithms don't help me but I have seen Republicans who are turning away from Trump and the Lincoln Project...is there any support for Harris/Biden out there?

*I've seen the half empty stadium in Tulsa back in June...but they also had a MASSIVE online audience.

Doesn't matter if there is a buzz around Biden. The democrats could put a tub of butter forward and it wouldn't change a thing. This election is all about Trump and how much you love or hate him and if the minority voters turn up it won't be for love of Biden but hate for Trump

• Registered Users Posts: 1,359 ✭✭✭LessOutragePlz

Is trump responsible for wildfires, is that what you’re genuinely asking?

Did you not say the riots and looting happend on his watch?

What do you mean by his watch?

I took it to mean that you were implying that he was responsible for the rioting and looting that occurred but, correct me if I'm wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,722 ✭✭✭irelandrover

If he wins reelection though. Might see some progress then.

So if he wins an election to be president he'll take action. But currently as president he cannot do anything. That makes perfect sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,359 ✭✭✭LessOutragePlz

In the last six months, he has done nothing around handling it in a way that doesn't inflame the situation. Plus 200k Americans are dead... So law and order, he does nothing outside of getting friends off. Plus a virus that he's failed to remotely handle...

He's tried his best and that's all he can do really.

Sure he could have handled the pandemic better but, it was an unprecedented situation that he was dealing with.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,042 ✭✭✭Carfacemandog

There is a huge difference between Russian meddling and Russian collusion....a HUGE difference...
    And the post I quoted was referring to simply 'The Russians' and not collusion with them.

What is your take on those findings, and why do you feel Trump still feels the need to disagree so strongly with them and instead publicly state he trusts Putin and the Kremlin more?

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭blinding

So if he wins an election to be president he'll take action. But currently as president he cannot do anything. That makes perfect sense.
    Might as well wait until after the election and then he can give those Commies a Proper Whooping ! !

Iv yet to see anyone else use the deaths of 200k people as an angle to argue with posters on an Irish discussion forum.
    Not a great look to be honest

I have a family in America, I have elderly relatives over there who are actively frightened of going outside. The reason being the pandemic... So I suspect the handling of the pandemic will factor into high risk voter's decisions in particular.

Also yes, other posters have referenced the fact that the pandemic has been handled atrociously. They rank as one of the worst nations on that front.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,202 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

Sure he could have handled the pandemic better but, it was an unprecedented situation that he was dealing with.

And, he failed. Jacinta Arden didn't fail. Angela Merkel didn't fail. Trump failed.

How many rallies and golf events did he do when he knew the pandemic was coming? That's not doing your best. That's just coasting along knowing you can get away with anything. In the past, daddies money and then his own (mostly borrowed) money got him out of scrapes. Now, it's sycophants, a compliant DOJ and wrathful failures that are his followers that does the same. A life without consequence. Maybe in a few more weeks some will be delivered.

Igotadose wrote: »
    And, he failed. Jacinta Arden didn't fail. Angela Merkel didn't fail. Trump failed.

How many rallies and golf events did he do when he knew the pandemic was coming? That's not doing your best. That's just coasting along knowing you can get away with anything. In the past, daddies money and then his own (mostly borrowed) money got him out of scrapes. Now, it's sycophants, a compliant DOJ and wrathful failures that are his followers that does the same. A life without consequence. Maybe in a few more weeks some will be delivered.

He definitely failed in regards to the pandemic and anyone but the most Partizan can see that

• Registered Users Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭Silentcorner

And the post I quoted was referring to simply 'The Russians' and not collusion with them.

What is your take on those findings, and why do you feel Trump still feels the need to disagree so strongly with them and instead publicly state he trusts Putin and the Kremlin more?

My simple take is that Trump is fighting a war with establishment, both establishment Republicans and Democrats (with the support of virtually the entire media infrastucture) who have been appointed to positions all over the infrastructure of the State....that establishment have been undermining him from day 1, he knows Putin is no serious threat to him...that is a truly simplistic view on an issue that I know I can only be mis informed on, we are talking about the machinations of the biggest state on this planet, none of us have any clue what is actually happening.

Back in 2016, I vividly remember being shocked at how many of his close family he appointed to his administration, it was proof to me at the time how rotten he was....but I have since shifted, he knew what he was up against, he made a lot of mistakes that first year which didn't help him....despite his crass nature at times, I did a 180 degree turn on him.

• Advertisement

Eh, following the laid out plans for a pandemic would help. Not threatening to withhold federal money from states if they don't open would help.

https://www.politico.com/news/2020/03/25/trump-coronavirus-national-security-council-149285

So claiming he's handled it okay is absolute nonsense... Europe exited the first wave while it got progressively worse in the US. Plenty of countries across the globe have effectively handled it. The US has not.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 466 ✭✭DangerScouse

I have a family in America, I have elderly relatives over there who are actively frightened of going outside. The reason being the pandemic... So I suspect the handling of the pandemic will factor into high risk voter's decisions in particular.

Also yes, other posters have referenced the fact that the pandemic has been handled atrociously. They rank as one of the worst nations on that front.

They are actually 9th worst in the developed world. Not bad considering their transport infrastructure and the amount of overweight people who live there.

They are actually 10th worst in the developed world. Not bad considering their transport infrastructure and the amount of overweight people who live there.

Or that the New York Metropolitan area was the epicentre of the US outbreak....take that area out and it looks completely different...which begs the question, what did Trump fail to do in that area that he did everywhere else...or is it just the fault of the people running that state/metropolitan area?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,258 ✭✭✭Cody montana

Did you not say the riots and looting happend on his watch?

What do you mean by his watch?

I took it to mean that you were implying that he was responsible for the rioting and looting that occurred but, correct me if I'm wrong.

The president sets the tone and rhetoric, he’s meant to bring people together, not divide them.

He’s not god and doesn’t control natural disasters.

They are actually 10th worst in the developed world. Not bad considering their transport infrastructure and the amount of overweight people who live there.

Impressive, you're actively trying to spin it as a successful outcome. Generally not being viewed as such by any respectable analysts. Also a fair few of the nations ahead of them are far less developed and all of them lack the substantial resources of the US. On top of that most of those nations exited the first wave months ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,042 ✭✭✭Carfacemandog

My simple take is that Trump is fighting a war with establishment, both establishment Republicans and Democrats (with the support of virtually the entire media infrastucture) who have been appointed to positions all over the infrastructure of the State....that establishment have been undermining him from day 1, he knows Putin is no serious threat to him...that is a truly simplistic view on an issue that I know I can only be mis informed on, we are talking about the machinations of the biggest state on this planet, none of us have any clue what is actually happening.

Back in 2016, I vividly remember being shocked at how many of his close family he appointed to his administration, it was proof to me at the time how rotten he was....but I have since shifted, he knew what he was up against, he made a lot of mistakes that first year which didn't help him....despite his crass nature at times, I did a 180 degree turn on him.
    So in summary, you are under the impression that all of the proven interference from Russians, confirmed by multiple different bodies and across both parties, as well as by international agencies, are all just lying in as part of one big conspiracy against Donald Trump.

In light of this, what do you think their end goal is vs. Trump's, that would lead them go undertake such a big conspiracy?

So in summary, you are under the impression that all of the proven interference from Russians, confirmed by multiple different bodies and across both parties, as well as by international agencies, are all just lying in as part of one big conspiracy against Donald Trump.

In light of this, what do you think their end goal is vs. Trump's, that would lead them go undertake such a big conspiracy?

I haven't disputed Russian interference at all.

I believe the Russians did interfere.

I'd be surprised if 2016 was the first election the Russians tried to interfere with.

That is not a conspiracy theory.

I'd be shocked if the Russians were the only State that interferes with US elections....

I'd also be shocked if the Tech companies are not interfering with elections, I don't have to wait for a reputable media outlet to report that to me!

I'd imagine we'd all be shocked if we knew how many bodies interfere with elections!

I believe that elements within the State are perfectly capable of presenting alternate accounts of whatever suits their position which I believe, has often been to undermine the Administration.

I don't think Trump is the root of all evil or that he colluded with the Russians.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,705 ✭✭✭Cheerful Spring2

Yes this just a another repeat of former history. Multiple bodies all joined in back then and started suspecting people in society of acting in behave of the Soviets ie Russians..

Its not a surprise the Russians are brought up here again. Its an indoctrinated institutional belief in America the Russians are up to know good.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/McCarthyism#:~:text=McCarthyism%20is%20the%20practice%20of,late%201940s%20through%20the%201950s.

Also the post condones the replacement of cronyism with nepotism which is baffling

breezy1985 wrote: »
    Also the post condones the replacement of cronyism with nepotism which is baffling

That is a fairly loaded take on what I said....but whatever works for you!

• Advertisement

That is a fairly loaded take on what I said....but whatever works for you!

"Back in 2016, I vividly remember being shocked at how many of his close family he appointed to his administration, it was proof to me at the time how rotten he was....but I have since shifted, he knew what he was up against"

Those are your words you have come to believe his nepotism was a good thing

"Back in 2016, I vividly remember being shocked at how many of his close family he appointed to his administration, it was proof to me at the time how rotten he was....but I have since shifted, he knew what he was up against"

Those are your words you have come to believe his nepotism was a good thing

Like I said, a fairly loaded interpretation of what I said...just because I have shifted my position does not mean I condone anything, I have a different view on his motives for hiring family members.

He found himself as President in a very precarious situation with enemies all over the highest echelons of the State and even the Republican Party.

But continue taking a black and white position, I'm sure the fanboys will egg you on....

• Registered Users Posts: 21,524 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

You are one of the few people in the planet who would have suspicions that the motivation of someone is sinister and who, when presented with evidence that this is indeed the case would actually flip to say it was justified. Quite a bizarre summation. It would like a police officer going to arrest someone for assaulting their wife at home and when they get there decide actually you know what, she deserves it and turns around and leaves.

That aside, your point doesn't even hold any weight. Trump has nothing which was a positive thought, or manifesto or plan which was inhibited by congress. What he has had was a desire to roll back Obamacare and deny health coverage to people and when he couldn't do that he complained and moaned.
    He took the country out of the Paris Accord and the Iran Nuclear Deal. He rowed back on environmental regulations in the US and has introduced tax benefits for the very wealthiest. He has had zero policies which could be seen to be for the common good for anyone in the Democrats or Republicans to put a spanner in the works on.

Imagine if Obama had done what Trump had done and the apoplectic outburst there would have been. You, and many more here would have lost. your. sh*t.

The only surprising thing is that the Republican party didn't look at what is happening and have the balls to say 'this is too much, we are not nominating this guy to come back' He insulted many of them, and their family members to their face and they still lay down in front of him in an effort to cling to power.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,423 ✭✭✭✭Outlaw Pete

I don't think he is responsible for the origins of it but his words during the whole affair have led to a massive ramping up of the violence and armed nature of both sides.

His words during the whole affair were twisted or not aired depending on if they could be used to sow division. The mainstream media had no intention of letting the public see that President Trump was saying all that needed to be. Had Obama said the exact same things Trump said they would have aired them unedited and then waxed lyrical about how strong his message was.

Instead though they immediately decided that Floyd's death was the result of systemic racism and that it was something which was part and parcel of living in Trump's America. That he immediately called for calm and an expedited investigation into Floyd's death and hoped that justice would be done was meaningless. Instead they rolled out their talking heads who all then claimed Trump was a racist who was dog whistling to white supremacists.

When he gave his speech from the Rose Garden they spliced the live stream with the sound of protesters clashing with police outside. What he said was irrelevant to them as they just wanted to adhere to their nauseating narrative. They even had the gall to claim Trump had said Floyd would be happy about job numbers:

https://twitter.com/TVNewsHQ/status/1269214861726224384

This is the kind of race baiting crap that is dividing America as there are people that would see and read that stuff and believe it to be true. The truth is there is no appeasing racists like BLM as they have an agenda. Even Obama couldn't quell their hatred and he had their back and so what chance Trump and especially so with the might of the MSM behind them.

Trump is not the problem when it comes to race relations in America. Plenty within the black community love Trump and know he is not a racist and is there to help them and do what needs to be done for them, far more in many ways than any other president in recent memory. False narratives crafted by the left are the real problem in America and if they could be curtailed in some way then people would get on a hell of a lot better but as long as you have people that gain from division, you'll have those who will do whatever they can to divide. The ultimate nightmare for those people is for everyone to get along.

You are one of the few people in the planet who would have suspicions that the motivation of someone is sinister and who, when presented with evidence that this is indeed the case would actually flip to say it was justified. Quite a bizarre summation. It would like a police officer going to arrest someone for assaulting their wife at home and when they get there decide actually you know what, she deserves it and turns around and leaves.

I'm sorry you've lost me at this point....

There has been nothing ordinary about the last 4 years, not the behaviour of the President or the actions of the Democratic Party, it is fair to say, whichever way you lean, it has been unprecedented...throw in a media industry that is beyond partisan and surely we can all admit to holding imperfect views on the state of US politics.

If we can't even agree that then why waste anyone's time...

I'm sorry you've lost me at this point....

There has been nothing ordinary about the last 4 years, not the behaviour of the President or the actions of the Democratic Party, it is fair to say, whichever way you lean, it has been unprecedented...throw in a media industry that is beyond partisan and surely we can all admit to holding imperfect views on the state of US politics.

If we can't even agree that then why waste anyone's time...

Why don't you give an example of the actions of the Democrats from the last 4 years which has been out of the ordinary.

WTF is an imperfect view on the state of US politics?

This is a discussion Board, and the topic of this particular thread is elements of US politics, you can log off and not come back if you think taking part in a discussion, on a discussion board, is a waste of time because people don't ultimately agree.

This seems like more of the rhetoric Trump comes out with like when he claims 'No American President has been treated more unfairly than me'
    Yeah? How?

His words during the whole affair were twisted or not aired depending on if they could be used to sow division. The mainstream media had no intention of letting the public see that President Trump was saying all that needed to be. Had Obama said the exact same things Trump said they would have aired them unedited and then waxed lyrical about how strong his message was.

Instead though they immediately decided that Floyd's death was the result of systemic racism and that it was something which was part and parcel of living in Trump's America. That he immediately called for calm and an expedited investigation into Floyd's death and hoped that justice would be done was meaningless. Instead they rolled out their talking heads who all then claimed Trump was a racist who was dog whistling to white supremacists.

When he gave his speech from the Rose Garden they spliced the live stream with the sound of protesters clashing with police outside. What he said was irrelevant to them as they just wanted to adhere to their nauseating narrative. They even had the gall to claim Trump had said Floyd would be happy about job numbers:

https://twitter.com/TVNewsHQ/status/1269214861726224384

This is the kind of race baiting crap that is dividing America as there are people that would see and read that stuff and believe it to be true. The truth is there is no appeasing racists like BLM as they have an agenda. Even Obama couldn't quell their hatred and he had their back and so what chance Trump and especially so with the might of the MSM behind them.

Trump is not the problem when it comes to race relations in America. Plenty within the black community love Trump and know he is not a racist and is there to help them and do what needs to be done for them, far more in many ways than any other president in recent memory. False narratives crafted by the left are the real problem in America and if they could be curtailed in some way then people would get on a hell of a lot better but as long as you have people that gain from division, you'll have those who will do whatever they can to divide. The ultimate nightmare for those people is for everyone to get along.

Ok so now Trump doesn't defend racist militia groups and is good for black people. This is truly deluded

Like I said, a fairly loaded interpretation of what I said...just because I have shifted my position does not mean I condone anything, I have a different view on his motives for hiring family members.

He found himself as President in a very precarious situation with enemies all over the highest echelons of the State and even the Republican Party.

But continue taking a black and white position, I'm sure the fanboys will egg you on....

You have very plainly pointed out again using your own words that you agree with his nepotism so what is it that I am getting wrong

This is the kind of race baiting crap that is dividing America as there are people that would see and read that stuff and believe it to be true.

Couldn't agree with you more.

Very divisive rhetoric isn't it?

• Advertisement

Why don't you give an example of the actions of the Democrats from the last 4 years which has been out of the ordinary.

WTF is an imperfect view on the state of US politics?

This is a discussion Board, and the topic of this particular thread is elements of US politics, you can log off and not come back if you think taking part in a discussion, on a discussion board, is a waste of time because people don't ultimately agree.

This seems like more of the rhetoric Trump comes out with like when he claims 'No American President has been treated more unfairly than me'
    Yeah? How?

Where do I start...The Administration was undermined before it even took office because of bogus claims of Russian collusion...it was said, that incoming President colluded with the Russians an act if true is treasonous...it was completely bogus...it hampered the Administration before they could take office, has that ever happened in the history of US politics?

The previous administration behaved in a reprehensible manner and have continued to do behave that way over the last 4 years, along with credible accusations of spying on Trump's campaign, Obama has completely abandoned the long help tradition of disappearing from public view, has that ever happened in the history of US politics?

The entire media infrastructure of the US has behaved in an extremely partisan manner often completely misrepresenting what the President actually said, I witnessed the industry distribute an edited video relating to the Jobs figures back in June which was covered around the world...has that ever happened in the history of US politics?

When Trump announced a travel ban on China back in February he was immediately called a Xenophobe? Has that ever happened in the history of US politics?

If Trump was the incompetent mess the Democratic Party would not have to sink to levels such as above, which are but 4 examples of how completely unprecedented the last 4 years have been.

On account of the state of the media industry and the behaviour of all parties, none of us can claim to be well informed, none of us have a perfect view on what is happening in the US despite which way a person leans.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement