Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Netflix Recommendations Thread 3.0

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭EltonJohn69

Who knew Jon Snow could act !

• Registered Users Posts: 13,563 ✭✭✭✭peteeeed

First Man
    Damien Chazelle’s moon landing drama finds gripping danger amid its tale of remote emotions.

Jurassic World: Camp Cretaceous Season 1
    Set within the same timeline as the 2015 blockbuster sequel, the animated series follows a group of six teenagers chosen for a once-in-a-lifetime experience at a new adventure camp on the opposite side of Isla Nublar. But when dinosaurs wreak havoc across the island, the campers are stranded. Unable to reach the outside world, they’ll need to go from strangers to friends to family if they’re going to survive.

Ratched: Season 1
    “You should bathe more often. Your fingernails are filthy.” That’s the sound of Nurse Ratched bringing her unique bedside manner to Netflix in Ryan Murphy’s One Flew Over the Cuckoo’s Nest prequel series, starring Sarah Paulson as the iconic asylum nurse.

The American Barbecue Showdown Season 1
    Eight of the country's best backyard smokers and pitmasters vie for the title of American Barbecue Champion in a fierce but friendly faceoff.

Johnny English Strikes Again

added

• Subscribers Posts: 41,209 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Watched old guard for the craic last night. Ah jaysus....

What starts as a good premise for an "underworld" type movie (immortals living amongst us) it just turns to complete farce with pretty suspect acting.

The more the 2 long hours play out, the more it morphs into a pilot... With the ending securing that aspect.

They only good thing about the movie is that I could watch Charlie theron mix mortar and I'd still be enthralled

• Registered Users Posts: 3,831 ✭✭✭budgemook

Is there not some Fernando Torres documentary supposed to be out today?

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,182 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

budgemook wrote: »
    Is there not some Fernando Torres documentary supposed to be out today?

I thought that was coming out on amazon prime.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,831 ✭✭✭budgemook

Mickeroo wrote: »
    I thought that was coming out on amazon prime.

So it is. I was reading something about it earlier in the week and they definitely said Netflix but obviously had it wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,313 ✭✭✭p to the e

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    I can’t wait to watch the challenger documentary(which I hadn’t realised was four parts and not one) later on. I mean I’ve read the report of the accident over the years and know most of the stories behind this awful tragedy and I saw Dick Scobbies wife in the trailer and hopefully they have more than just Alan McDonald from Morton Thiokol(he’s a legend in his own right but hopefully we get more) and their take on that part of it. I’ll stop because I could keep rambling on about it.
    mikhail wrote: »
    I don't know if they mention him in it, but Richard Feynman's minority report on the disaster is required reading at many engineering colleges. It's quite an accessible read.
    https://science.ksc.nasa.gov/shuttle/missions/51-l/docs/rogers-commission/Appendix-F.txt

Looking forward to this myself. I studied Mechanical Engineering in College and the challenger disaster was a case study that came up time and time again across multiple subjects (thermodynamics, Materials science, Mechanics, Fluid Mechanics). I was a bit of science nerd so couldn't believe it when I heard Feynman was involved in the investigation. Amazing how such a small component failure led to such a disaster.

• Registered Users Posts: 48,148 ✭✭✭✭km79

Anyone watched Cobra Kai yet ?
    It’s supposed to be very good
    I’m wondering if it’s suitable for a 10 year old though ?
    We watched this first two karate kids with him over last month

• Registered Users Posts: 39,644 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

mikhail wrote: »
    I don't know if they mention him in it, but Richard Feynman's minority report on the disaster is required reading at many engineering colleges. It's quite an accessible read.
    https://science.ksc.nasa.gov/shuttle/missions/51-l/docs/rogers-commission/Appendix-F.txt

If I remember correctly from other documentaries and stuff I’ve read the committee just knew his name and didn’t know his personality and got caught by the O ring in the ice experiment he did.

If you’ve been in the space forum of this site you’ll know I’m a huge fan of space and manned space flight both American and soviet/Russian and both the challenger and Columbia shuttle disasters took the shine off nasa for me. The shuttle was sold as doing stuff in a time frame it couldn’t achieve in term of number of launches per year. Challenger should never have happened if NASA hadn’t of been so ****ing arrogant because they only ever had one disaster on the pad(Apollo 1) and I think some nasa management got moved after Columbia thankfully. Again I’m rambling so I’ll stop.

Edit: btw no I’ve not watched the documentary yet but I plan to do it this weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,118 ✭✭✭shrapnel222

km79 wrote: »
    Anyone watched Cobra Kai yet ?
    It’s supposed to be very good
    I’m wondering if it’s suitable for a 10 year old though ?
    We watched this first two karate kids with him over last month

season 1 is borderline ok (gains a few nostalgia points), season 2 is atrocious. Perfectly fine for a 10 year old

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,389 ✭✭✭cml387

Stop everything and watch Criminal.

Mentioned before was Jon Snow in the second episode of the new series, a very morally ambiguous story that will get you thinking.
    Also Sophie Okinedo is excellent in the first episode.

Think of the best bits of Line Of Duty, the interviews, and that's what Criminal is.
    You are dropped into a crime with no backstory, no explanation, and figure out what's going on.

Watched the first episode of the challenger disaster documentary and it’s very well done. The two worst phrases from the shuttle programme were “go at throttle up” for challenger and “UHF comm check” for Columbia. Hopefully the other three episodes are as good as the first one.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,391 ✭✭✭Damien360

Just watched “The Devil all the time”. Great movie. Almost Tarintino in its feel. Great acting, great story.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,050 ✭✭✭joeguevara

Watching second season of 60 days in. Undercover prison documentary. Absolutely riveting.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,238 ✭✭✭munster87

joeguevara wrote: »
    Watching second season of 60 days in. Undercover prison documentary. Absolutely riveting.

The constant replaying of segments, due to airing on US tv I assume, annoys me in that show. Otherwise well worth a watch.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,563 ✭✭✭✭peteeeed

A Cure for Wellness
    Dispatched to retrieve his company's CEO from a remote European wellness spa, a naive underling discovers the alpine retreat's terrifying secrets

Fukrey Boyzzz Season 1
    A troublemaking trio dreams big, plays hard and stirs up all sorts of classroom mischief in this animated spinoff of the popular Hindi film franchise.

added

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

cml387 wrote: »
    Stop everything and watch Criminal.

Mentioned before was Jon Snow in the second episode of the new series, a very morally ambiguous story that will get you thinking.
    Also Sophie Okinedo is excellent in the first episode.

Think of the best bits of Line Of Duty, the interviews, and that's what Criminal is.
    You are dropped into a crime with no backstory, no explanation, and figure out what's going on.

Could'nt agree more.The second season was excellent.

Kit Harrington GOT typecasting was well and truly a thing of the past.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,866 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

Just finished succession (not on Netflix ) and need something new? Anything must see in the drama realm ?

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,182 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Cyrus wrote: »
    Just finished succession (not on Netflix ) and need something new? Anything must see in the drama realm ?

You watched Borgen? I'm enjoying season 1 a lot more than I thought I would as I don't usually like political drama all that much (found house of cards a slog even at its best) but have found it really enjoyable. Its more episodic than I expected too, there's over arching stories but it's mostly the characters dealing with the issue of the week.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,969 ✭✭✭✭alchemist33

I've also started warching S1 of Borgen and heavily recommend it.

And I just finished Breaking Bad, having not watched it before. For the 2 people who haven't watched it, it deserves every bit of praise it received and it's never too late to start. It really is one of, if not THE, best TV programmes ever.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,049 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

And I just finished Breaking Bad, having not watched it before. For the 2 people who haven't watched it, it deserves every bit of praise it received and it's never too late to start. It really is one of, if not THE, best TV programmes ever.

I've tried BB twice but didn't even make it to the end of the pilot.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,379 ✭✭✭✭Sardonicat

Damien360 wrote: »
    Just watched “The Devil all the time”. Great movie. Almost Tarintino in its feel. Great acting, great story.

Really looking forward to this.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,873 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Just started Camp Cretaceous.
    The fact the have the excellent Jurassic Park soundtrack is a huge plus

Borgen ? I’m watching the challenger documentary but might give this a look.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,022 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

The Devil All The Time is one of the upper-tier Netflix films; a great cast whos deliver solid performances, a strong narrative with multiple threads weaving together, with a Coens-esque feel to it.

Finished the challenger documentary and Larry Mulloy is still as dislikable as any other time I’ve read or seen anything by him. He’d make the same decision today that he made in late January 1986 that led to the deaths of seven astronauts. Is it any wonder Columbia happened when this was the mentality in NASA. Larry mulloy didn’t lick that attitude off the VAB ffs.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,248 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

I have just finished series one of criminal.
    It's really excellent imo.

Are the foreign language episodes worth a watch or should I just go to second series of UK series?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Fysh wrote: »
    The Devil All The Time is one of the upper-tier Netflix films; a great cast whos deliver solid performances, a strong narrative with multiple threads weaving together, with a Coens-esque feel to it.

I got half way through it, Coenesque my arse, its a pile of clichéd ****e like most Netflix content these days.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,873 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

CastorTroy wrote: »
    Just started Camp Cretaceous.
    The fact the have the excellent Jurassic Park soundtrack is a huge plus

I enjoyed that. As for my earlier comment about it likely not having deaths and all, having subtitles on and seeing a dinosaur approaching a man followed by the subs showing "Crunching sound" proves that wrong.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,231 ✭✭✭Hercule Poirot

Another vote here for The Devil All The Time, although I can get why others didn't like it.

It's a slow burner, bit like a season of Ozark, it builds the story slowly and ends with a finale. I thought Pattinson in particular was excellent in it.

Advertisement